Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

Parents read this BEFORE you set a password

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-19 of 19 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jun 21, 2012 12:28:52 AM PDT
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 21, 2012 1:01:33 AM PDT
Can you suggest what should happen when people type in the incorrect password a number of times?

If you want to be certain that someone from Amazon hears your feedback, please send an email to kindle-feedback@amazon.com - we are mainly Kindle owners here, not from Amazon.

Posted on Jun 21, 2012 1:03:16 AM PDT
Artist says:
Or you could tell your daughter not to enter the password without your permission. If she's smart enough to notice that her games are starting over, she's smart enough to follow directions.

Parental responsibility -- what a concept!

Posted on Jun 21, 2012 2:02:05 AM PDT
I think these 'controls' are working exactly as they should. A. - as has already been pointed out, if your daughter can't follow rules, and makes attempts to gain access to something that you've clearly forbidden to her (i.e. wifi access on your Fire), then that's an issue that you have with your daughter, not with the Fire or Amazon, and B. - if anyone else is trying to gain access to your device's wifi without your permission, and/or them knowing the password upfront, chances are it's because your Fire is in someone's hands that it shouldn't be, and the device locking up after too many failed password attempts is a fail-safe method to keep such a person from gaining access to your device's sensitive and personal data, or to your Amazon account.

I understand your frustration with how the failed password attempt process works on the Fire, but this isn't about any failings with Amazon or its device. This is about your daughter failing to follow your instructions, as I assume you've already made it clear to her that she is not to attempt to access wifi on the Fire without your permission.

Posted on Jun 21, 2012 2:18:13 AM PDT
CBRetriever says:
and I might note that the ability to set a password to protect against kids buying stuff was probably the number one request for the fire in the first place

and I believe that on my computer, if I happen to enter the incorrect password 3 times, It locks up and I have to go in as admin and reset it (and I doubt the Kindle Fire will ever approach the level of sophistication as a PC)

and you would be mighty glad of that password lock out if someone stole your kindle and was able to buy that 5,000 USD kindle ebook using your credit card

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 21, 2012 2:47:20 AM PDT
S. Prewitt says:
John,
Normally this would be programmed to make the user wait some period of time after 3-4 wrong entries, maybe 1 day, before trying again. Either that or do factory reset. I wonder whether this is what Amazon has done.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 21, 2012 3:23:39 AM PDT
Just Peachy says:
A few suggestions:
Don't use the parental controls and then suck it up when she buys a bunch of stuff on your account.
Tell the child to NOT try to enter a password.
Tell the child she cannot use the Fire unless being supervised.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 21, 2012 3:46:45 AM PDT
This is *exactly* the sort of post we all KNEW would come when so many parents jumped up and down screaming for Parental Comtrols on the Fire. You all GOT what you wanted, and this is the result.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 21, 2012 3:59:31 AM PDT
Cassie Anne says:
Would you have preferred an unlimited number of tries? Eventually, your daughter would have put in the correct password and had access to wi-fi after all. Or did you expect Amazon to somehow ~know~ when you (not your daughter) entered the correct password.

In the future, tell your daughter not to enter a password. If she's unwilling or unable to follow your rules, don't let her use the device unsupervised.

Posted on Jun 21, 2012 4:26:02 AM PDT
**Meya** says:
You should experience what happens when you enter your online banking password incorrectly 4 times.

That creates many hoops.

Just as it should.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 21, 2012 4:30:35 AM PDT
CBRetriever says:
been through that one - had my bankcard eaten just before I went on a trip

that was not pleasant

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 21, 2012 4:33:56 AM PDT
Jazzy_Jeff says:
And exactly how is this a brick?

Posted on Jun 21, 2012 5:59:37 AM PDT
I never use parental controls on anything. I had them set on my son's tv one time, and he still could watch adult swim on cartoon network (which I think is offensive). I have tried them various times and they never work great, so I just don't use them. My kids though don't know my password for amazon,or anything else,so I don't worry with them buying anything with out permission.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 21, 2012 6:00:46 AM PDT
Just Peachy says:
They don't need your password to buy via one-click.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 21, 2012 6:11:05 AM PDT
They do if she used the new parental controls, that said I am not sympathetic to her rant.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 21, 2012 6:15:01 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 21, 2012 6:15:44 AM PDT
Just Peachy says:
I was replying to the fact Sherry implied she didn't need parental controls if she just didn't tell her kids the Amazon password.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 21, 2012 5:48:37 PM PDT
Seems to me the major design flaw is in a 5yo who hasn't yet learnt the word "No!"

Incidentally, when you're telling her about her lost game data, don't forget to point out that it was HER actions that caused the loss. Actions reap consequences... or doesn't she know that yet either?

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 21, 2012 6:10:09 PM PDT
But don't you know that her precious little snowflake should be able to do whatever she wants, and not suffer any consequences? After all, it was AMAZON that locked the poor little angel out of her device!!!

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 21, 2012 6:47:00 PM PDT
Sarida says:
I remember when I was growing up how kids used to congregate in my backyard to play baseball. Of course that resulted in a lot of broken windows. My dad was quick to replace them, but there were consequences: loss of allowance, no playing for a week, and a lot of washing of cars.

We learned lessons though.

I suppose someone could say that we couldn't help it; we didn't know where the ball would foul or what a wild pitch would do.

I hope you'll accept this in the manner in which it is intended: some grandmotherly advice.

Every moment of parenting is a lesson. Sometimes for the parent, sometimes for the child and most of the time for both. Teaching your child to follow the rules and that there are consequences for breaking them is far more important than a silly electronic device. How you react will be emulated by your child and thrown back at you.

Decide if you want to blame Amazon, or teach your daughter that she won't be playing with the device for a week because she CHOSE to break the rules. The next time will be two weeks. Since you will be sitting by her for the next two years while she uses the device, you will be able to see how she does with following the rules. Child will NEVER use the device without you sitting by her. I'm sure you already knew that so forgive me for telling you something you already know.

Thanks for posting. It is mature of you to accept the comments made and understand that keeping the device out of reach, sitting by child while the device is used, and of course realizing that your child will not be using the device for a week is the mature answer to your situation.

Thanks again.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  16
Total posts:  19
Initial post:  Jun 21, 2012
Latest post:  Jun 21, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions