Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

Kindle Mac app crashes with too many books

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-17 of 17 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Feb 25, 2012 2:00:28 PM PST
Sarah D says:
I've downloaded the latest version from amazon and wiped everything and redownloaded it and done all that everyone suggests, but I haven't seen this question really addressed anyway.. it crashes when I have 217 books everytime. There is no one book that's causing it, I emptied my library and readded books one at a time to see, but no. No matter what book it is, the 217th book always causes it to crash.

Posted on Feb 25, 2012 5:26:04 PM PST
Fud53 says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

Posted on Feb 25, 2012 6:30:52 PM PST
Sarah D says:
Wow sorry. I do have a kindle and that is just fine, but I like to be able to read my books on it or on my computer, so that's why I have the app too. When searching I found lots of people posing questions about the app crashing but none of them addressed my issue exactly so I thought I'd ask. Maybe someone else has experienced it too.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 25, 2012 7:20:12 PM PST
King Al says:
Sarah, ignore it (Fud53.) It is a known troll.

Posted on Jun 16, 2012 3:50:31 AM PDT
Kindle App 3.1 for iOS 6 crashes every time a book is opened on my new iPad or my iPhone 4S. As with Sarah D's experience, the crash happens every time. I have called in to Amazon for help. They had me uninstall and reinstall, deregister and reregister, but that didn't help. After being passed around to three different people, they said the developers would look into the matter. So far they have done nothing, nor have they called or written back. Any one have any suggestions?

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 16, 2012 4:45:47 AM PDT
@ Richard - Does the app crash when you open it or just when a book is opened? If the crash happens when the app is opened, how many books in your archive? The reason I ask, is my K4PC will crash shortly after I open it when I'm registered to my main account. When I register to my new account, I have no problems. The only difference (same computer, same app) is the number of books in the archive.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 16, 2012 5:09:09 AM PDT
vj, Mine only crashes every time on both iPhones and iPads when I open a book once in Kindle 3.1 app.
Looking for more clues.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 16, 2012 5:31:37 AM PDT
Sorry Richard, your issue doesn't sound like mine. Good luck. Since I don't have an iPhone or iPad, I won't be much help. It's been a while since I did tech support for macs but would it be possible to take one of them back to factory original? Mac is better than Windows at removing stuff when you do an uninstall but it can still leave stuff behind (it's just a little harder to find).

Since there are not a lot of complaints about this, I would assume it is something on your devices - like a program installed on both units.

My best guess would be either corrupt OS or some other software on your mac. I would lean towards corrupt OS except it is happening on 2 units. The mac computers had a utility installed as part of the OS that would check/correct any corrupt files on the OS but I'm not sure if that exists on your iPhone/iPads.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 17, 2012 11:20:47 AM PDT
Sean808080 says:
Keep in mind iOS6 is currently beta. I am experiencing this same issue with this and a few other apps. Now is the time for developers to test and fix any issues. It's the price of being on the bleeding edge!

Posted on Jun 19, 2012 12:40:32 AM PDT
I have the same issue with iOS 6.0 beta 1 and verison 3.1 of the Kindle App. The only solution was to revert to the previous version 3.0.1, which works fine and without issue.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 19, 2012 6:30:31 AM PDT
Thanks for your useful response. Can you tell me how to revert to 3.01 on an iPad or iPhone? I don't know how to find that app any longer.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 20, 2012 6:54:19 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 20, 2012 6:55:33 AM PDT
I can confirm that the problem exists for me as well on new iPod with ios6. You can go to the amazon website and use the web-based cloud reader in he meantime as another option. http://Read.amazon.com

Posted on Jun 20, 2012 7:54:30 PM PDT
Kevino says:
Isn't talking about the Beta violating the Beta agreement with Apple, even if it has to do with apps crashing? I'm not complaining, just asking for my own benefit. I didn't want to add to the discussion without knowing if I'm breaking the NDA.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 20, 2012 8:25:34 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 20, 2012 8:33:41 PM PDT
When you update apps in iTunes, it moves the old apps to the Recycle Bin/ Trash. What you would have to do is delete the app from your iPad or iPhone and then restore / undelete the previous version from the Recycle Bin/Trash (moving it to your desktop). Now in iTunes, right click on the Kindle App and then click on "show in windows explorer"/"Show in Folder" and permanently delete the new version (deleting it from Trash as well). Then copy (not move) the previous version from the Desktop to the "Show in Folder" location. If you normally sync with iTunes, then sync; if you normally use the cloud for sync'ing (if you are a developer, most likely this would not be the case), then drag and drop the Kindle App (previous version) from the Apps section in iTunes directly to the iPhone/iPad and it should work. If for some reason you cleaned out your Recycle Bin / Trash, then let me know... I might be able to email it to you.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 20, 2012 8:32:27 PM PDT
From my understanding, talking about the beta (outside of the developer forum) is a violation of the NDA. However, talking about an app's (Kindle) functionality on said beta is okay. Again, this is from my understanding.

Posted on Jan 9, 2013 10:01:45 AM PST
R. Allen says:
I have a Macbook Pro with 10.6.8. Kindle reader crashed upon opening every time. The registration screen flashed for a second and then the whole program disappeared. Tech Support and I have gotten to know each other very well and they have been able to offer no solutions. But....EUREKA, I found a solution: go to http://kindle.amazon.com and log into your books. When your books show up, add a note. This will ask you to open the Kindle reader program on your laptop. When that happens, the registration stays open...and the program works from that point forward. I hope someone else can benefit from this workaround.

Posted on Jul 12, 2013 5:32:31 PM PDT
I have ipad 4 with ios version 6.1.3. When I download very many books from the archive the kindle app closes the next day within seconds. I have already reinstalled, deregistered my ipad, rebooted and nothing works. Is there a answer to this problem? I am very frustrated.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Kindle forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Announcement
NEWS: Kindle Paperwhite 2nd Generation Software Update 5.4.5
25 4 hours ago
Announcement
NEWS: New Update for Kindle Reading Apps on Android and iOS
118 11 hours ago
Announcement
Hachette/Amazon Business Interruption
0 May 27, 2014
Announcement
Have a Kindle Question?
0 Sep 12, 2012
deleting book titles 1 4 minutes ago
Confused about Kindle Unlimited - audio books 46 7 minutes ago
how do I organize books on kindle fire hd 11 13 minutes ago
is there an app for that? 2310 16 minutes ago
Al's Place 35mm 1876 18 minutes ago
Kindle Fire Tips: Getting Started 2 4690 19 minutes ago
Freebie Books - Links Only - No Self Promotion III 3659 21 minutes ago
We're an International Quirky Bunch! Put on Your Chiffon and Taffeta, Sashay In, Pet a Midnight Goat, Cat or Dog, Crack Open Your Stelvin Closures and Say "Hi" to Cherie! 582 21 minutes ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  11
Total posts:  17
Initial post:  Feb 25, 2012
Latest post:  Jul 12, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 5 customers

Search Customer Discussions