Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

The June 2012 Informal Poll - What are you reading on your Kindle?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 608 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jun 1, 2012 12:15:12 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 1, 2012 12:15:58 PM PDT
Misscali says:
Time for the monthly poll (two and a half years!)

I've received several great tips on past monthly polls with what others are reading on their Kindle! While I have certainly enjoyed the "mainstream" author suggestions over the past year, I've also enjoyed a lot of independent authors identified in each month's poll I never would have heard of previously.

Here's how this works - list a book you are currently reading or just recently read on your Kindle (insert the product link using the little button above the text box so others can find it), whether you would recommend it, did you get it free, and anything else you would care to share.

Didn't see this started for June. Don't want to tramp on any toes starting it. Just trying to be helpful.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 1, 2012 12:21:22 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 1, 2012 12:22:55 PM PDT
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 1, 2012 12:22:13 PM PDT
Started The Awakened: Book One, a series my husband has enjoyed. I'm not far enough yet to know if I like it.

Tried Nana's Willow, but stopped at 20%. It's a stinker, and the product page gives a LOT away.

Almost done with The Fall of Anne Boleyn: A Countdown, which is certainly not comprehensive, and has some scanning errors, but is interesting.

Also started Results Not Typical, but not sure I'm going to stay with it. Life is too short for bad writing.

Posted on Jun 1, 2012 12:33:42 PM PDT
❤ Ann says:
I'm about halfway through If A Pirate I Must Be... (borrowed from the KOLL). I didn't know much of anything about pirates, and nothing about "Black Bart". It's an interesting look at the culture aboard an 18th-century ship.

Posted on Jun 1, 2012 12:44:57 PM PDT
Adding, "The Awakened" is still free. It's the first of a series of 3. My husband has been following the author on Facebook. He is almost ready to release his new book, which I believe is the start of a new series.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 1, 2012 1:03:04 PM PDT
I'm reading Mr. Hornaday's War: How a Peculiar Victorian Zookeeper Waged a Lonely Crusade for Wildlife That Changed the World, a bit slow so far, but I have high hopes.

Then there is Afterwards: A Novel.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 1, 2012 1:29:43 PM PDT
That's what I'm reading, too. I've also just started reading A Prayer for Owen Meany: A Novel.

Posted on Jun 1, 2012 2:05:17 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 18, 2012 1:02:29 PM PDT
Coach D says:
Starting June off with two books:

The Infection by Craig DiLouie. About 26% into this end of world zombie type thriller.

and

GAMELAND Episode 1: Deep Into The Game (S. W. Tanpepper's GAMELAND) Saul Tanpepper. The first of 8 episodes. I am about 56% into this hi-tech zombie thriller as well. One episode per month, with #2 just out. But if I like the story I might just sign up for all 8 episodes and save some $$. I want to finish the whole story first, just to make sure before I commit to all 8 episodes. I will say that the first episode is over 150 pages long.

Posted on Jun 1, 2012 2:10:43 PM PDT
Misscali says:
I just finished Divergent (Divergent Trilogy)

Although I enjoyed it, I will not be continuing with the series. It just reminded me too much of the Hunger Games Trilogy.

Posted on Jun 1, 2012 3:23:41 PM PDT
J. Marchant says:
This is strange to me. I read John Irving's's The World According To Garp (Black Swan) and The Hotel New Hampshire (Black Swan) and loved them both. Then I attempted A Prayer for Owen Meany: A Novel and could not finish it. It is the only book I have ever NOT finished. I don't know why it never clicked for me but there ya go.

I am currently reading King Peggy: An American Secretary, Her Royal Destiny, and the Inspiring Story of How She Changed an African Village and it is very interesting and I'm learning a lot about the tribal culture in Ghana. The writing is very easy to read. I recommend it.

Posted on Jun 1, 2012 6:06:00 PM PDT
Josue says:
finishing off The Yellow House: A Novel, Great Expectations and Twenty Years After. i took a break from them to read another but just finished the other. all three of these are good

Posted on Jun 1, 2012 6:10:48 PM PDT
Jamester says:
Just finished Those Who Save Us, and am almost half done with Mariana.

Posted on Jun 1, 2012 6:30:14 PM PDT
Just cut and pasted this from the May discussion.

I've just finished Reamde: A Novel: A Novel by Neal Stephenson. I bought it back in September 2011 for $8.82. If I hadn't already read it, I'd think seriously about buying it at today's price.

A wonderful thriller involving online RPGs, the Russian mafia, Chinese hackers, Muslim jihadists and american survivalists, rich in detail of China, the Philippines and the wilderness of British Columbia and a cast of satisfying characters, it gave me several late nights as I'd do the 'Just one more chapter and I'll turn the light out' thing.

It was a far more straight forward book then Snow Crash (Bantam Spectra Book) or Cryptonomicon both of which I also enjoyed.

Posted on Jun 1, 2012 6:39:18 PM PDT
Dorsie says:
I'm reading Never Con a Corgi (Leigh Koslow Mystery Series), which is a return of this series after a decade hiatus. I like it enough to order one of the previous books in the series,Never Buried (Leigh Koslow Mystery Series), which is FREE.

The book is entertaining and enjoyable, but not really special.

My favorite cozy this year so far was A Shot in the Bark (A Dog Park Mystery). This first-time author took me by surprise with outstanding characters, great and unusual plot twists, and an ending that was delicious. I want more.

Next, I'm going to reread Jurassic Park. I miss Michael Crichton, but his genre heir, James Rollins, has a new book coming out on 6/26/12: Bloodline: A Sigma Force Novel.

Posted on Jun 1, 2012 6:49:09 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 1, 2012 7:03:56 PM PDT
Patsy says:
Just finished Colin Firth: The Man Who Would Be King. It was free, informative and enjoyable.

Only a few pages into yet another freebie Maui Widow Waltz (Islands of Aloha Mystery Series). In the mood for some really light reading and I think this cozy will fit the bill.

ETA: @ Dorsie - I also think A Shot in the Bark (A Dog Park Mystery) is a great cozy. Wow! Hope we won't have to wait too long for a sequel.

Posted on Jun 1, 2012 6:57:42 PM PDT
Holly says:
Totally spaced that this is June and just posted on the May thread ---- getting old, I guess.

I about about 15% of the way into Judith Hendricks' The Laws of Harmony and really enjoying it. It's my book group selection for June and will definitely have no problem finishing it by the 12th.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 1, 2012 6:59:24 PM PDT
I loved A Prayer for Owen Meany...read it a long time ago

Posted on Jun 1, 2012 7:00:10 PM PDT
Unbroken: A World War II Story of Survival, Resilience, and Redemption is what I am reading. An amazing story thus far!

Posted on Jun 1, 2012 7:13:01 PM PDT
Eileen says:
Just started Breathless by Jessica Warman. It is a YA novel.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 1, 2012 7:17:36 PM PDT
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 1, 2012 7:27:45 PM PDT
R. Wilde says:
Still trudging my way through Ulysses, just so I can say I've read it. Hopefully I'll finish this month, but I find myself having to take fairly frequent breaks. :)

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 1, 2012 8:13:38 PM PDT
Dorsie says:
BTW: Thanks to Misscali for taking the initiative to create the thread for June. Let's hope that the reason Michael Gallagher didn't start it is because he's on vacation. :)

Posted on Jun 1, 2012 8:46:16 PM PDT
Just finished Lots of Candles, Plenty of Cake by Anna Quindlen. Sorry, the product link does not seem to be working for me tonight for some reason. So here is a tiny bit from the product description:
"In this irresistible memoir, the New York Times bestselling author and winner of the Pulitzer Prize Anna Quindlen writes about looking back and ahead-and celebrating it all-as she considers marriage, girlfriends, our mothers, faith, loss, all the stuff in our closets, and more."
I borrowed the Kindle edition from the library, but this is one that I will probably add to my Kindle at some point, maybe when the price comes down a bit from $12.99. I related to much of what what this author had to say about aging, since she is just a few years younger than I am. I hope she continues to write for a good many more years.

I also just started The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern. Not really far enough in to have an opinion, but I am liking it so far. The writing is lovely; we'll see if the story is as well.

I have been bouncing around among a bunch of other titles, which have not been able to hold my interest. They aren't bad books or awful stories but I am not particularly invested in any of them just now. Maybe I am not in the right mood. I will probably get back to them at some point, and will review them here when I do.

Posted on Jun 1, 2012 8:54:07 PM PDT
Miss M says:
I'm reading Murder Casts a Shadow by Victoria Nalani Kneubuhl - set in 1930's Hawaii. Found the recommendation in the review thread of the Mystery Forum. Only 25% so far - not bad, but am hoping for some more historical background.

Posted on Jun 1, 2012 9:07:04 PM PDT
deannah says:
Just finished The Language of Flowers: A Novel by Vanessa Diffenbaugh. I read it basically in one sitting it was that good. I would highly recommend it and more info available if you read the reviews at the link.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 25 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Kindle forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Announcement
Update re: Amazon/Hachette Business Interruption
0 Jul 29, 2014
Announcement
Hachette/Amazon Business Interruption
0 May 27, 2014
Announcement
Have a Kindle Question?
0 Sep 12, 2012
RAOK # 80 - Acts of Kindness Are In the Pipeline™ 1296 5 seconds ago
Want an Amazon "traditional" cover for Kindle Voyage 63 14 seconds ago
We're an International Quirky Bunch! Put on Your Chiffon and Taffeta, Sashay In, Pet a Midnight Goat, Cat or Dog, Crack Open Your Stelvin Closures and Say "Hi" to Cherie! 8646 51 seconds ago
Setting a default device 14 1 minute ago
Nonsense 13! We're the lucky ones. 1673 1 minute ago
Potentially Perky People - Part Deux 4007 1 minute ago
Al's Place 35mm 3924 2 minutes ago
KINDLE KITCHEN #4: Home of Family, Friends and Good Food! 4750 2 minutes ago
is there an app for that? 4392 3 minutes ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  176
Total posts:  608
Initial post:  Jun 1, 2012
Latest post:  Jul 5, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 18 customers

Search Customer Discussions