Automotive Deals Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Pink Floyd Fire TV Stick Ruby jewelry Amazon Cash Back Offer harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro
Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

Interview on PBS Newshour about the Apple/Big 5 lawsuit

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 10 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Apr 14, 2012 12:11:34 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 14, 2012 12:11:50 PM PDT
Becky Anderson, President of American Booksellers Association said this in an interview with Jeffrey Brown:

**But, actually, the price might have been set, but actually the prices of many e-books went down. The backlist what we call of all these major publishers that are not books that are not brand-new, that are new on the market, actually, those prices went down.

And there were many offers and promotions put out by the major publishers, those five included in this, that they set some great pricing that put it out there from 25 cents up to $1.99, $2.99, $3.99, because they wanted to get the marketplace diverse, get many players into it, make books available at great places for a lot of readers.***

Does anyone know any books from the Big 5 in this price range? Because as far as I know, this is a complete lie.

The full interview is here:

http://www.pbs.org/newshour/bb/law/jan-june12/ebooks_04-12.html

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 14, 2012 12:35:06 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 14, 2012 12:38:19 PM PDT
Zanzibar says:
I have no idea if her statement could be true for some books, but all I know is all the decades old books by my favorite authors are priced at full new paperbook prices. I can't and won't rebuy all my old favorites at those prices when I don't own the ebooks.

ETA: After rereading, it sounds like she's only referring to short term promos and not regular pricing.

Posted on Apr 14, 2012 12:41:36 PM PDT
Fabizzle says:
She represents the people who have done the price rigging! What would you have her do? Tell the truth?

Posted on Apr 14, 2012 12:41:59 PM PDT
CarMel says:
Harper Collins regularly puts lowers prices on books. I have gotten several books over the past months in that price range. The pattern seems to be that when an author has a new book in a series coming out, they might put the first in the series on sale at $1.99. Also Macmillan just had the first 3 books of a series by Julia Spencer-Fleming on sale for $2.99 for the first three months of the year. Random House has had the first in a series by Stacia Kane at $.99 for many months, and the next two in the series at $4.99. These are books that regularly sell at $7.99. Simon and Schuster just had the first 5 books of Deborah Crombie's mystery series on sale for $3.99 each.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 14, 2012 12:42:58 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 14, 2012 12:43:38 PM PDT
CLS10 says:
"And there were many offers and promotions put out by the major publishers, those five included in this, that they set some great pricing that put it out there from 25 cents up to $1.99, $2.99, $3.99, because they wanted to get the marketplace diverse, get many players into it, make books available at great places for a lot of readers.***"

Good in Bed, 3.99
Strange Flesh, 1.99
Come Back (P.S.), 1.99

Harper Collins is particularly good about having frequent sales and promos.

Posted on Apr 14, 2012 12:43:21 PM PDT
GreyDay says:
Pre agency I was re-buying my old MM paperbacks at the rate of 4-10/week because the prices were reasonable (most were $6.39). Post Agency most went up to $7.99 or higher and I stopped buying them. Prices went down my foot.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 14, 2012 12:44:15 PM PDT
Beth Sexton says:
FfB, I think about a week after they started the Daily Deal they offered The Lincoln Lawyer: A Novel (Mickey Haller) for $2.99.

If you look in the 100 books for $3.99 or less there are 3 books from Jeffery Archer

The Prodigal Daughter
A Matter of Honor
First Among Equals

So, not a complete lie, but the discounted books are few and far between.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 14, 2012 1:00:14 PM PDT
M. Ratcheson says:
As others have said, HarperCollins often has limited time promotions on their ebooks. I just picked up What the Dead Know by Laura Lippman, published by HC for $1.99.

Macmillan is currently offering three books by Jeffrey Archer for $2.99,A Matter of Honor is one of them.

You might want to check out the Discounted/Price dropped thread for leads on more.

http://www.amazon.com/forum/kindle/ref=cm_cd_rvt_np?_encoding=UTF8&cdForum=Fx1D7SY3BVSESG&cdPage=344&cdThread=Tx1LK8SYLEDT8B5#CustomerDiscussionsNew

These are usually limited time promotions, of course.

Posted on Apr 14, 2012 1:20:37 PM PDT
Thanks all, I hadn't seen any of those books except the promo on Deborah Crombie (a top 5 for me).

Good thing I didn't send her an email ;)

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 14, 2012 1:31:01 PM PDT
CLS10 says:
Thanks for mentioning Lippman's book, I just picked it up based on the description.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Kindle forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Announcement
Now Live - Join the Kindle Discussion Session
1334 2 minutes ago
Announcement
Critical Software Update for Kindle E-Readers
0 Mar 23, 2016
Announcement
Welcome to the Kindle Discussion Forum - A Congregation of Kindle Enthusiasts
0 Mar 20, 2015
virus on kindle? 6 8 minutes ago
my music wont play on my kindle fire 72 11 minutes ago
Fire stick drops network connection 1544 22 minutes ago
Kindle Display settings on Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 51 28 minutes ago
We're Quirky And We Know It! Come Witness The Howling Dink, Hussy Turkey Hens, And A Veritable Plethora Of Other Beasts! So Geese! 3789 31 minutes ago
Internal storage maxing out when it shouldn't 45 43 minutes ago
Fire Tablet, 7" Display, Wi-Fi, 8 GB - Includes Special Offers, Black 0 49 minutes ago
5th generation Amazon fire Flash player? 47 53 minutes ago
Kindle Limericks - Not for the humor impaired 3475 1 hour ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  8
Total posts:  10
Initial post:  Apr 14, 2012
Latest post:  Apr 14, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions