Automotive Holiday Deals GG Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_plcc_6M_fly_beacon David Bowie egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Beauty Deals Martha Stewart American Made Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Gift Card Offer minions minions minions  Amazon Echo Starting at $84.99 Kindle Black Friday Deals Nintendo Digital Games Outdoor Deals on Tikes
Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

Daydreaming of features I would like to see in a future Kindle

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-9 of 9 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Apr 29, 2012 8:28:59 PM PDT
Korlithiel says:
I would love to see a few things in a Kindle. Your personal ideals may differ, but all thoughts are welcome and comments appreciated.

First on my list is a built in light. Much as the rumors have denoted, it's possible that future Kindle models will, while still using e-ink and normally produce no light of their own, be visible at night by simply turning on their light/s. I found the clip on light I used for my Kindle did not resolve this issue, and discouraged me from trying others as the one I tried (at the time) was highly recommended.

Next up, a touchscreen built into the keyboard model. This would mean using the physical keys for tasks that favor the medium, such as typing, while also having touchscreen for quickly selecting books from a digital shelf (such as how things are presented on the Kindle Fire) or for browsing the web. I suspect that touchscreen is also favorable for making highlights in books, but I find it's less than enjoyable for typing tasks I would never forego a keyboard if I can avoid and so would like to see both on a model.

I wonder if I wouldn't be happier with a touchscreen only model that had buttons for page turning, and a solid accessory keyboard. This is extremely unlikely to happen, but if done similarly (albeit likely physically attached) to that on the iPad I could see enjoying it.

Further delving into the realm of unlikely, seeing something like a Mirasol screen on a Kindle. From the look of things, they are good enough for photographs and comparable to e-ink for reading tasks. Color would be quite useful for magazines and book covers, which in some regard goes back to wanting a touch screen for scrolling through bookshelves of beautiful covers.

So, what would you like to see in a future Kindle model?

Posted on Apr 30, 2012 3:09:22 AM PDT
Fud53 says:
So you pretty much want to see a kindle costing in the iPad range...I'll take it as it is, but slimmer and much, much lighter will be great. A screen that can flex without damage would be nice too. Self illumination is not necessary just as it's not necessary with a regular pulp made book. When it's dark I turn on a lamp, or the built in light with the cover is fine too. A built in light with the kindle itself is just something else that can/will go wrong.

Posted on Apr 30, 2012 3:49:39 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 30, 2012 3:52:12 AM PDT
a. I don't want a light if it will add to the weight or the size or the battery life. Other than that, I can ignore it.
B. I don't want a tuoch screen. I know they work flawlessly and never get fingerprints on them but, call me crazy, I don't want one. I went to a store yesterday with devices with touchscreens and I sure thought I saw thuosands of fingerprints but I'm sure I was wrong and tapping was not flawless. Push a button generally works for me.

C. Color. I don't need. I read books. That's it. For photos, I'd want much higher resolution and a larger screen, neither of which is necessary for reading books. I realize some books, like college textbooks, have graphs and diagrams that need color but they also need a larger screen and higher resolution. I'd probably still use my desktop computer to look at the graphs and diagrams.

About the only thing I can think of that I'd like would be a user-replaceable battery and I'm not really hung up on that. I can live with my Kindle4 for a very, very long time but I sure wish the Manage Your Kindle software would be improved. I'd like to make books read and I'd like to be able to move books in large batches.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 30, 2012 3:54:48 AM PDT
Jazzy_Jeff says:
I agree. I don't want or need all the bells and whistles. I just want to read.

Posted on Apr 30, 2012 4:05:25 AM PDT
For me I have a fire for the bells and a reader to read. If they can make the glow thing work that would be cool but do not want a touch screen. Id really want a basic w tts.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 30, 2012 4:06:34 AM PDT
Dragi Raos says:
"So you pretty much want to see a kindle costing in the iPad range..."

I don't think so, Fred. All these features wished for except Mirasol would make the device cost perhaps $50 more, and I could well be willing to pay it.

I have no idea about the cost of first Mirasol screens, but I don't think they are good enough yet. I mean, if color is not vivid and faithful enough to reproduce a photo from National Geographic, the only added functionality is viewing color coded graphs in technical and scientific texts - hardly a market large enough.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 30, 2012 4:07:26 AM PDT
Dragi Raos says:
I need all the belles I can get ;)

Posted on Apr 30, 2012 4:09:57 AM PDT
Zippergirl says:
i have no idea what half my books are about, judging from the covers. i want a little blurb that pops up when i touch the cover. barring that, the ability to add a tag to the cover would be helpful.

Posted on May 1, 2012 2:06:40 PM PDT
Korlithiel says:
Fud53, your seemingly thoughtless remarks about my ideas (I'm interested in reading, and each feature helps in some way to that end) aside, that's an interesting take. I keep imagining the bendable devices getting broken within months, due in large part being used to rigid electronics, and so while it might be nice with a nice, rigid cover that would retain a solid feel in my hands I couldn't imagine wanting one otherwise.

Still, if the price was about that of the current line of Kindles then it would definitely make for an interesting addition to the Kindle family. I don't think I would want it, because due to the inflexible nature of keyboards it would end up as a touchscreen only device, but a nice option regardless.

Dragi Raos, the color and the touchscreen thoughts would make textbooks notably more accessible. I see the touchscreen as rather useful when desired, such as for highlighting or quick navigation, but also something that must be optional.

Your probably more knowledgeable than I am on the color, but from what I've seen they look good enough for most magazines. Sure, the beauty of National Geographic would be diminished, but as that magazine is designed to be seen in person I imagine cutting it down to fit on the Kindles screen would diminish the experience anyways.

Which nicely touches on the thoughts of Patrick T. Kelly. I think that with color, and touch for highlights, that the Kindle is the perfect size for textbooks. I've never found a large one that convinced me it's notable bulk had a real reason. So, in general, I would rather not have a ton going on in each page, allowing for more focus on the content at hand. So a Kindle sized textbook would be excellent, and unlike a computer the eye fatigue is notably reduced (as mirasol is hailed as being comparable to e-ink).

Jazzy_Jeff, that's fine to hear. I would prefer that improvements be made with each new generation that are beyond simply streamlining the device. For this to happen features that the general audience would appreciate must be introduced, and features such as a light would fit that.

Rusty Clark, I think you should email Amazon support on the tag feature. I don't see the publishers, or Amazon, putting in the effort to add a details section that's limited and accessed on the first touch. But a tag feature, that would be quite useful.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Kindle forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
What's New in IOS Version 4.12?
56 4 hours ago
Introducing Fire-Setting an Entirely New Standard for a Tablet under $50
0 Sep 18, 2015
Introducing the All-New Fire HD: Powerful Tablets Designed for Entertainment
0 Sep 18, 2015
Welcome to the Kindle Discussion Forum - A Congregation of Kindle Enthusiasts
0 Mar 20, 2015
FREE Books and Chat (FB&C) November 2015 944 1 minute ago
Kindle / Audible Recommendations and Deals (KARD) 2743 2 minutes ago
Kindle 40 3 minutes ago
KINDLE KITCHEN #5: Home of Family, Friends and Good Food 4532 4 minutes ago
Kindle Fire HD 8.9 Play face book games like Farmville 2? 1 11 minutes ago
83 and we're RAoKing PRIME 6449 12 minutes ago
How to delete books only from Kindle Paperwhite 4 13 minutes ago
How to transfer library to new Prime account? 16 14 minutes ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  7
Total posts:  9
Initial post:  Apr 29, 2012
Latest post:  May 1, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions