Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it PME Fire TV Stick Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer WienerDog WienerDog WienerDog  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro
Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

use kindle HD in Puerto Rico or USVI

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-20 of 20 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Oct 22, 2012 6:23:33 PM PDT
I would like to know if I can use it (download apps) in PR and/or USVI?Kindle Fire HD 7", Dolby Audio, Dual-Band Wi-Fi, 16 GB - Includes Special Offers

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 23, 2012 12:46:12 AM PDT
A. E. Enriquez - From the Fire's (2nd Generation and HD) Support pages:

Kindle Fire Restrictions for International Customers:

At this time, we are only able to ship Kindle Fire 2nd Generation and Kindle Fire HD from http://Amazon.com to customers with a U.S. billing and shipping address.

Note that international customers are not able to purchase some types of content on Kindle Fire 2nd Generation and Kindle Fire HD and not all functionality is available for international customers. You must be physically located within the United States to purchase, stream, or initiate a download from Amazon Instant Video. Music purchases from http://Amazon.com are only available to U.S. customers.

Also, from the App Store for Android: Amazon Appstore is available to customers located in the United States, France, Italy, Germany, Spain and United Kingdom.
*You need to be a resident of and have a valid credit card and billing address in those other countries/regions to use their websites.

*Commentary added by me.

Posted on Oct 23, 2012 1:45:25 AM PDT
CBRetriever says:
That's a little bit misleading as Puerto Ricans and USVI residents are considered US citizens, but Amazon treats the islands as though they are a different country - Puerto Rico's almost the 51st state

There were a lot of Puerto Ricans who were upset because they could not get the original Kindle Fires to download apps or strem media

Posted on Nov 9, 2012 12:44:33 PM PST
Ivy says:
When Puerto Rico residents will have stream or initiate a download from Amazon Instant Video available in the kIndle Fire HD?? My husband order one for me as a Birthday Gift through my Sister that lives in MIami and now I am kind of upset that I can not have all features available. If I would have known I would have ask for something else.

Thanks in advance for your feedback!!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 9, 2012 1:01:05 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 9, 2012 1:05:24 PM PST
Ivy, it won't happen anytime soon. There are too many legalities to sort out due to copyright/distribution issues. Puerto Rico may be part of the US but when you look at distribution, it is considered part of the Carribean. This is not something that Amazon can change.

Amazon is working on expanding the distribution rights that it has but obviously they will focus on the larger customer bases first.

Amazon, as noted above, has always been up front about the limitations. It is not their fault you didn't check before buying. There is a reason that Amazon does not sell these devices to Puerto Rico.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 9, 2012 1:02:52 PM PST
Jazzy_Jeff says:
Why did you have it shipped through Miami instead of directly to you???

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 9, 2012 2:27:04 PM PST
Sears of PR are selling the Kindle Fire HD. Maybe you can go to them and ask what are the doing about it.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 10, 2012 1:09:57 AM PST
Ivy says:
Vickie thanks for your feedback!! The thing is the Kindle Fire is sold in Puerto Rico in many stores I have lots of co-workers that own kindles including the Fire. The reazon my husband bought it through Amazon was because the 32gb model was not here yet. As you can see I never though we were limited, cause the device is well sold here. I hope the one day we will be included. ;-)

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 10, 2012 1:21:47 AM PST
CBRetriever says:
hmmm, statehood could be a good thing in your case, then

Posted on Nov 10, 2012 1:23:03 AM PST
Ivy says:
Oh the Funny thing was that I bought the Kindle Fire HD accesories and they were shipped to Puerto Rico with no problem!! Thanks Jazzy and E.R. for your comments!! The new Kindle Fire was not available yet at Sears they had old model.

Posted on Nov 10, 2012 1:26:28 AM PST
Ivy says:
Cbr we like how we are now!! Lol ;-)

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 10, 2012 1:29:08 AM PST
Ivy says:
Vickie thanks for your feedback!! The thing is the Kindle Fire is sold in Puerto Rico in many stores I have lots of co-workers that own kindles including the Fire. The reazon my husband bought it through Amazon was because the 32gb model was not here yet. As you can see I never though we were limited, cause the device is well sold here. I hope the one day we will be included. ;-)

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 10, 2012 2:39:22 AM PST
CBRetriever says:
well it would have been a plus if it happens - I wasn't even aware it was on a ballot this year (I vote as an american expat from Texas), so the news took me by surprise

Posted on Nov 17, 2012 11:57:10 AM PST
Rhstoo says:
Can you download movies while in the States and watch them in PR or the USVI?

Posted on Nov 17, 2012 1:12:52 PM PST
CBRetriever says:
as long as you fulfill the requirements of having a US credit card with a US (not Puerto Rico) billing address and are in the US at the time of the download

Posted on Nov 24, 2012 5:07:04 PM PST
You can buy anything else from Amazon and it can be shipped to the VI so why not the Kindle ?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 24, 2012 6:27:36 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 24, 2012 6:28:25 PM PST
Rhstoo says:
And Netflix and Blockbuster will stream to PR and the USVI. So why can't Amazon? Not that they CAN'T, but that they won't.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 24, 2012 6:29:39 PM PST
Amazon cannot legally provide you content if they are not authorized to do so. Obviously, Netflix and Blockbuster have that authorization from the owners of the content they are providing, but Amazon does not.

Posted on Feb 12, 2013 9:08:19 AM PST
I was thinking on getting a Kindle Fire HD here at best buy in P.R. But now it seems it can be a bad idea now that I know I will have restriction to content like apps, instant video and music downloads, etc.

Posted on Feb 16, 2013 5:51:35 PM PST
I was trying to download the facebook app directly from my kindle fire hd 7" but it wouldnt let me, so i "bought it" directly from amazon.com and then just synced the kindle and problem solved.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Kindle forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  11
Total posts:  20
Initial post:  Oct 22, 2012
Latest post:  Feb 16, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 3 customers

Search Customer Discussions