Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

Backlight Bleeding on Kindle Fire

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 138 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 15, 2011 8:00:35 PM PST
John says:
For those not familiar with backlight bleeding, it is, simply put, the light of a screen--whether it be a computer monitor, cell phone, tablet, etc.--"bleeding" around the edges that is especially noticeable when the screen is showing black/dark colors.

When I start up my Kindle Fire, I notice a bit of bleeding on the bottom (in portrait mode), towards the middle of the screen. Anyone else experiencing this? It is somewhat annoying when streaming movies with night scenes or when on a darker web page.

Posted on Nov 15, 2011 8:02:55 PM PST
Nobody says:
I haven't seen that, but the overall brightness of the screen is a bit much for me. Sooner or later I'll read up on how to fix that.

Posted on Nov 15, 2011 8:13:51 PM PST
John says:
Not seeing any

Posted on Nov 16, 2011 4:31:45 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 16, 2011 4:49:15 AM PST
M. Lisowyj says:
I see a small amount of backlight bleed in the same spot as the OP. It really is only visible when that area is black. It's not as bad as some LCD monitors ive seen. I bet more people have this and don't even realize it! I think as more people get thiers today, we will see if it is more common.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 16, 2011 5:03:14 AM PST
Mr. Peepers says:
I have the same problem.

Posted on Nov 16, 2011 5:04:58 AM PST
If is ships like most monitors, the brightness setting is all the way up, and needs to be reduced.

Posted on Nov 16, 2011 5:13:32 AM PST
M. Lisowyj says:
Even with brightness reduced down to a little below 50%, it is still there. Im not sure if it is just how they are made, or a problem.

Posted on Nov 16, 2011 5:25:18 AM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on Mar 14, 2012 11:29:24 AM PDT]

Posted on Nov 16, 2011 6:18:32 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 16, 2011 6:24:13 AM PST
M. Lisowyj says:
Anyone else see backlight bleed when they first start up the device? Im trying to decide if mine is bad enough to warrant a replacement.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 16, 2011 8:57:43 AM PST
Click on the "Setting" icon (the gear). On the settings bar one selection is brightness. Click that and you get a slider to adjust.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 16, 2011 9:08:04 AM PST
Nobody says:
I found that last night but it's not the solution. I guess I'm just not a fan of back lighting. Taking the brightness all the way down still makes the reading experience inferior compared to e-ink.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 16, 2011 9:11:28 AM PST
Dorsie says:
It's sloppy manufacturing. Apple has had it too on a few iPads. Replace it. There's no reason for you to settle for inadequate QC at the factory.

Posted on Nov 16, 2011 10:44:20 AM PST
M. Lisowyj says:
I would say my backlight bleed is fairly minimal. Im thinking most of them have it but people don't see it.

Posted on Nov 16, 2011 10:48:49 AM PST
John says:
M. Lisowyj, I talked to an Amazon rep last night. He said this is NOT normal. I have already asked for a replacement. You can wait and ship out your current Kindle while you wait for a replacement to come to you, so you'll never be without one in your hands.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 16, 2011 10:54:33 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 16, 2011 10:54:48 AM PST
Bjeans says:
Do you mean before it gets to the screensaver? If so, no, none.

And not beyond that point either. Turned the lights off, too.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 16, 2011 12:24:08 PM PST
John says:
Yes, before the screensaver comes up on start-up it is the most noticeable (when the screen is completely black except for the "kindle fire" logo in the middle of the screen. To clarify for those that may have it but don't realize it, you'll see a faint white glow coming up from the edge of the screen on the bottom. Also, it is more noticeable in a dark room or one with as little lighting as possible.

Thanks for your observation, Bjeans--looks like this is, indeed, abnormal.

Posted on Nov 16, 2011 12:34:05 PM PST
M. Lisowyj says:
Thanks J. Springs and Bjeans. I can confirm that seeing any backlight bleed is abnormal. I had a feeling that it was after not seeing any other topics on it. I talked with customer support and they are shipping out a replacement. Hopefully the new one will not have this issue. If it does, they said they would send another replacement!

Posted on Nov 17, 2011 10:58:14 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 17, 2011 11:06:01 AM PST
Talking with support now as I have the same backlight bleed on the bottom of the device, where the ports and button are.

Guy doesn't seem to understand the issue and seemed to think a reset would solve the problem...

EDIT1: Looks like they'll be sending a replacement out. Will update with results.

Posted on Nov 18, 2011 12:32:15 AM PST
EnglishJames says:
I had two areas of backlight bleed on the fire, one on the left approx 1.5" x 0.75" just above the middle and one on the top right. The first line of support got me to reset the device (absolutely the correct thing to do) and the second line arranged a replacement. When talking to support anywhere in the world, you may have to deal with language and terminology differences. Just keep calm and try and explain the problem using different terminology.

Overall my experience was great as always with Amazon. I get to ship the faulty device back once the new one arrives.

Posted on Nov 18, 2011 10:05:01 AM PST
Not sure how a device reset would solve a manufacturing defect.

Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

Posted on Nov 18, 2011 3:32:21 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 18, 2011 5:25:19 PM PST
So I received the replacement kindle today and noticed that the Color Temp of the screen is completely different, and much warmer than the original one.

What's going on here?

Posted on Nov 18, 2011 6:11:57 PM PST
M. Lisowyj says:
I got my replacement Kindle today and it was already powered on when I took it out of the box....and.....it had the backlight bleed issue but even worse than the first one! Has anyone else with the problem got their return back and had the new not have the bleed or other issues? Im wondering what the problem is with these things?!

Posted on Nov 18, 2011 6:18:45 PM PST
Lynn M says:
A small amount is normal in this type of device. I see a little but my android tablet is much worse. The amount I see on the fire is perfectly acceptable.

Posted on Nov 18, 2011 11:56:20 PM PST
Abedesan says:
mine has two little little spots at the bottom like what the op is describing. it might be the exact same thing but to me its not that bad. in fact.... i only notice it when the kindle is rebooting and no where else i think

Posted on Nov 19, 2011 1:00:57 AM PST
I've seen the same thing on my Fire, but ONLY when first powering it up from being totally powered off (not Sleeping). I have not once seen it while actually using the device, and I read my Kindle app with black page and white font in total darkness, so I think I would have noticed the leakage during real usage and I haven't.

This type of light leaking, while some may not consider it normal, it is almost impossible to avoid in devices like this, especially in devices that are built on the cheap so to speak. Honestly, I wouldn't get too worked up over it and start returning devices en mass, as some may find that they never receive a device without the leaking, and in some cases, as M. Lisowyj has discovered, it may actually be worse with a replacement device.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Kindle forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  61
Total posts:  138
Initial post:  Nov 15, 2011
Latest post:  Jan 14, 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 13 customers

Search Customer Discussions