Automotive Deals BOTYSFKT Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Ruby jewelry Amazon Cash Back Offer harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro
Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

Does my Kindle 5th gen which was gifted to me by someone who bought it at a local retailer have special offers, although it doesn't have any special offer labeling?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 10 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 28, 2012 6:49:29 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 28, 2012 6:54:57 PM PST
gz says:
I was recently given a basic Kindle 5th gen. It looks to be purchased from a retail store since it doesn't have the thick cardboard packaging and shipping label on back, and instead has the glossy paperboard with images on it. Nowhere is it labeled with "Special Offers". Does anyone know if I can somehow tell if it does have special offers without opening the packaging (and without having to contact the gifter)? I contacted Amazon and they said the couldn't tell without actually registering the device.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 28, 2012 6:51:31 PM PST
MikeJW says:
Well, if Amazon does not know without you registering it, how do you expect Amazon customers to know? Sheesh!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 28, 2012 6:54:53 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 28, 2012 6:57:03 PM PST
J. Gatie says:
You do know Special Offers can be turned off for a fee, right? Open it, register it, and if it is a SO and you don't want special offers, go to Manage Your Kindle and pay to turn them off. the price to turn them off is the same as the difference in purchase price.

Posted on Nov 28, 2012 6:56:04 PM PST
gz says:
I was thinking of giving it to a friend and just wanted to know if it's possible to tell from the packaging without registering it, or if all retail versions are special offer versions or vice versa.

Posted on Nov 28, 2012 6:56:39 PM PST
Actually, there almost has to be some indication on the box or the store wouldn't know which one they're selling.

Posted on Nov 28, 2012 7:06:06 PM PST
R. D. Clark says:
You might go to Best Buy's or Staples' site, search for "Kindle," find the one that matches yours according to the SKU (assuming the SKU is listed on the retail package) and see how it's listed.

PS - It will say either "4th Generation" or just "Kindle." The 5th was the Touch, although the "generation" terminology gets a little fuzzy at that point.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 28, 2012 7:13:31 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 28, 2012 7:14:21 PM PST
gz says:
Thanks for helping me where even Amazon couldn't. Looks like that was the way to go. I matched up the UPC with Best Buy's website and looks like it has the special offers. I actually don't see a non-special offers version being offered on either Best Buy's or Staples' websites, so maybe Amazon figures you can just pay to remove the special offers at your discretion, thus requiring only one SKU to sell. And to clarify, I have the $69 Kindle.

Posted on Nov 28, 2012 9:48:45 PM PST
B. P. Manuel says:
I have the basic $69 Kindle with the Special Offers. These show up on the screensaver only and in no way have they diminished my reading experience. I think the recipient of you gift would not mind them at all - and they should absolutely love this Kindle!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 28, 2012 9:51:29 PM PST
R. D. Clark says:
Glad that worked for you. For a long time the "generations" followed the firmware versions -- the 2nd generation ran version 2.x, the Keyboard ("Kindle 3") was version 3.x, and the Basic runs 4.x. The Kindle Touch was Version 5.x and the original Fire had 6.x. The Fire HD and Fire2 are 7.x. But then the PaperWhite came out for which the latest version is 5.3.

Posted on Nov 28, 2012 9:55:59 PM PST
John D says:
It's also true that the lucky recipient can also pay the small fee to disable ads, if desired. If you want to help with it, you can give an appropriately-sized gift certificate, which the recipient could use for that purpose, or to buy books, or whatever.

Hey, see how easy it is for me to suggest that YOU spend money? ;)
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Kindle forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Announcement
Now Live - Join the Kindle Discussion Session
1333 2 hours ago
Announcement
Critical Software Update for Kindle E-Readers
0 Mar 23, 2016
Announcement
Welcome to the Kindle Discussion Forum - A Congregation of Kindle Enthusiasts
0 Mar 20, 2015
Kindle Display settings on Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 51 3 minutes ago
virus on kindle? 5 4 minutes ago
We're Quirky And We Know It! Come Witness The Howling Dink, Hussy Turkey Hens, And A Veritable Plethora Of Other Beasts! So Geese! 3789 6 minutes ago
Internal storage maxing out when it shouldn't 45 18 minutes ago
Fire Tablet, 7" Display, Wi-Fi, 8 GB - Includes Special Offers, Black 0 24 minutes ago
5th generation Amazon fire Flash player? 47 28 minutes ago
Kindle Limericks - Not for the humor impaired 3475 40 minutes ago
FREE Books and Chat - July 2016 536 41 minutes ago
I'm Looking for a book 1 46 minutes ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  7
Total posts:  10
Initial post:  Nov 28, 2012
Latest post:  Nov 28, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions