Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

A mom with some dumb kindle questions

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-15 of 15 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 13, 2012 4:26:03 PM PST
A. Ryan says:
Here's the situation: I have had a Kindle Keyboard for 2 years and I love it. Recently, I decided that I want to get a Kindle Fire for each of my two boys (ages 11 and 14) as Christmas gifts. The idea is that I want them to have a great e-reader but also some of the other capabilities that would have come with an iphone like skype--I don't think they're ready for their own phones yet, and I KNOW I'm not ready to pay their monthly bills ;).

Since they're minors, they do not have Amazon accounts.

Would they be able to buy Amazon e books, etc. if I just got them gift cards? Or do they need to be somehow linked to my Amazon account in order to download any e purchases from Amazon to their Kindle Fires?

If I DO decide to register their Kindles to my account, can I put limits on what types of purchases they are able to make from their Kindle Fires?

Thanks in advance for your help!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 13, 2012 4:30:19 PM PST
~nospin says:
They won't be able to get apps without a credit card on file.
All purchases though can come from gift cards.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 13, 2012 6:45:02 PM PST
R. Nelson says:
You would need to use parental controls to authorize all purchases with a PIN number. This would require you to enter the PIN on the device for a purchase from the device.

Even the free apps need to have had a credit card on file to verify you are located in the US. You can then add gift cards to the account if you setup a seperate account for them to share. If you didn't want them on your amazon account you could start a new account (new email address), you manage, but register the devices to it and apply gift cards for example. I would recommend you only setup one account for them to share (if not put on yours), then you don't have to buy an app or book twice.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 13, 2012 7:03:01 PM PST
What I would do is set up a new email account (Hotmail/Gmail/whatever) that YOU would control. Next, create a separate Account here at Amazon, using that email addy, and open it with whatever credit card you have.

Register the 2 Fires to that account. Set up the parental controls to require a password for purchases. Or, put a gift card on there for them to use at their discretion, but you'll get an email every time they buy anything.

Also, you're able to have control here at Amazon at Manage Your Kindle. If you don't like an app they buy, you delete it. *POOF* The nice thing about both Fires being on the same account is that they can share all the content; you only buy apps once!

Posted on Dec 13, 2012 7:20:35 PM PST
Get a prepaid credit card. Put the amount of money on it that you will allow them to spend. Put the card on their accounts. Let them know how long the money has to last them.

You would control the amount on the card and when more would be added to it.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 13, 2012 8:35:28 PM PST
A. Ryan says:
Yes excellent point, I like only having to buy apps and books once :)

Okay, new account set up, controlled by me with password, register their Kindles to it. Give them gift cards. It seems like the safest course.

Thank you R Nelson and Folinlalala for your wise advice

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 13, 2012 8:37:53 PM PST
A. Ryan says:
The prepaid credit card idea seems prudent now that they are getting older. I'll have to consider that one for awhile.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 13, 2012 9:25:09 PM PST
SavageLove says:
And, make it clear to them that you will be getting emails from Amazon for each purchase so that you know when and what they are buying. If they buy anything you do not want them to have, then take away the Fire for a time as a punishment.

That's what my mom would have done if Fires/iPads/so on had been available when I was a kid.

Posted on Dec 14, 2012 4:19:43 AM PST
I guess that I'm in the minority here, but when I gave my 11 year old son a Fire for his birthday last month, I just left it on my husband's and my account so that he can have access to the apps and music that I've already bought as I don't want to have to re-pay for Kindle Fire only versions of apps that I've already paid for for my own 1st Gen Fire. I explained to him that he musn't buy anything without asking, even if it was with his gift card. I also told him that he must never go to the Amazon site through the Fire to buy anything because it comes out of my checking account and that this is real money that we need to for eating, etc. He has proven to be trustworthy and responsible and I'm glad that I've given the chance to do so, although I also understand that I'm risking him making a mistake in the future.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 14, 2012 4:29:43 AM PST
Agreed!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 14, 2012 4:34:01 AM PST
That's a viable course for a household that already has Fires, yes. Although, I'm not sure my son would want ANY of the apps or music I have. I opened his own account (really mine) for his Kindle; I'd probably put a Fire on that, too.

The exception (proving your point) eould be Prime. If I separate his account, he can't get Prime videos. Depends on if I want him to have those, I suppose.

Posted on Dec 15, 2012 1:32:09 PM PST
mdholm says:
All of our Kindles are on one account. This includes my Fire, my boyfriend's KK, and my daughter and pseudo-daughter's Basics. Its all tied to my account; everyone knows to give me a head's up if they are going to order something.

Posted on Dec 15, 2012 1:43:18 PM PST
GEB5: What are the basic expenses in addition to the cost of the Kindle HD?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 15, 2012 1:50:51 PM PST
R. Nelson says:
George - Your expenses will be your purchases. Apps, videos, books, varies in cost.

Assuming you have access in your home to WiFi. You will need to be able to connect to WiFi to make the best use of the Kindle Fire. You can use free hotspots when out and about, like at cafe, coffee shops, book stores, etc.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 15, 2012 1:54:42 PM PST
Cassie Anne says:
Assuming you're talking about one of the wi-fi only Fires, the cost of the content. Books, apps, movies, etc. You'll also want to continue paying for high-speed internet. A router, if you don't already own one.

If you're asking about the 4G-enabled Fire, all of the above, plus the cost of a data plan. First year promotional rate is $50 for 250 MB of data per month. The promotional rate is only good for the first 12 months. After that, or if you need more data, ATT's going rates are on the ATT website, I'm sure.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Kindle forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  10
Total posts:  15
Initial post:  Dec 13, 2012
Latest post:  Dec 15, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions