Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

Fire HD 4G data plan mandatory?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 25 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Sep 6, 2012 2:34:02 PM PDT
I was considering buying one of the HD 4G models as a gift for someone, but if the $50/year data plan is mandatory, that would be kind of cruel. Did anyone get a sense of whether or not the 4G feature can be ignored if desired?

(Yeah, I know, why would you buy the 4G model. Except that this person doesn't have/understand WiFi, so 4G would in the long run be easier. I just don't think it's right to give someone a gift that's going to keep costing them money.)

Posted on Sep 6, 2012 2:37:48 PM PDT
lapis says:
It will not be required. If they do not subscribe to a plan, the device will effectively be WiFi-only.

Posted on Sep 6, 2012 2:40:42 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 6, 2012 2:41:16 PM PDT
Hawkeye says:
Good question no idea though.

Another reason to get the 4g version is that they offer 64gb storage although for a ridiculous price, but w/o SD support it is something to think about.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 6, 2012 2:41:46 PM PDT
Cassie Anne says:
Without wi-fi, I think the Fire would be more frustrating than not. You're not getting very much data per month with the $50 per year data plan, so the recipient may not be able to do much with it.

If I may ask, why are you considering a Fire rather than an e-ink Kindle? If you think the recipient would use the device primarily for reading, an e-ink Kindle with 3G might be a better fit.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 6, 2012 2:43:28 PM PDT
flipoid says:
Hawkeye, the 4G Fire is 32 GB, not 64.

Posted on Sep 6, 2012 2:44:53 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 6, 2012 2:45:54 PM PDT
Hawkeye says:
They have an option for 64gb for $599.

Posted on Sep 6, 2012 2:47:47 PM PDT
P. Delaney says:
is the cost of the data plan alway $50 per year, or is it just that amount for the first year?

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 6, 2012 2:48:02 PM PDT
flipoid says:
Sorry, you're right, Hawkeye. I hadn't looked at Amazon's site since the press conference and didn't realize that they are offering the 64GB model.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 6, 2012 2:48:56 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 6, 2012 2:49:23 PM PDT
Cassie Anne:

She's a big magazine reader, and also tracks movies and TV shows, so while an e-ink reader would be useful, I think she'd get more from a Fire. I know she's been eyeing my aunt's iPad but considering the streamlined content-centric focus of the Kindles, I think it'd work better for her (plus, I'll do just about anything to keep people away from Apple products...)

Posted on Sep 6, 2012 2:52:06 PM PDT
P. Delaney: The promo said $50/year, so I'm assuming that will the price for here on out. But who knows.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 6, 2012 2:53:17 PM PDT
Cassie Anne says:
Thanks! It definitely sounds like a Fire would be a better fit. Still, without wi-fi, she may find the data plan very limiting, although better than nothing. 250 MB isn't very much.

Posted on Sep 6, 2012 2:53:28 PM PDT
C Zayas says:
What about outside US, what would be my alternatives for 4G? I assume that package is not worldwide right?

Posted on Sep 6, 2012 3:02:26 PM PDT
I'm not very familiar with what you can do with 250 MB in a month. Can someone help me understand? Is that the content you download (video, music). Or does each web page you visit use a portion? Or both?

If a person would watch a movie or two on his Prime membership, what would that take up? Checking Facebook? Sending e-mails through a yahoo account.

I just have no idea what counts against you.

Posted on Sep 6, 2012 3:05:19 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 6, 2012 3:06:19 PM PDT
Hawkeye says:
Everything you do online. Web, downloads, email, YouTube, downloading amazon stuff like apps, mp3s, streaming movies. 250 doesn't get you far. It would only be useful for checking email or downloading an ebook or two.

Streaming one prime tv show would be over 250mb.

Posted on Sep 6, 2012 3:27:29 PM PDT
One Prime TV show for $50 is kind of a rip off.

Also it is not fun to surf the web if you are constantly worried about the MB's used to do so.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 6, 2012 4:04:05 PM PDT
Cassie Anne says:
Remember, it's $50 for the year. 250 MB per month for 12 months. It's not a lot of data, but it's not meant to be your sole internet access. You'd still need wi-fi for most of what you'd do online, IMO.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 6, 2012 9:45:23 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 6, 2012 9:52:11 PM PDT
El Tombo says:
$50 per year sounds like a great deal for 4G. You'd be hard pressed to find a 250MB tablet data plan for less than $15 per month ($180/yr).

The devil is in the details though. Whose network is it on? Is there good coverage? I assume that's nationwide in the US, but what do you pay in other countries? Is the $50 an introductory offer for the first year, or is this good forever? What happens if you go over 250MB? Does it shut off? If not, what do you pay for data then?

250MB per month may not be a whole lot of data, but 4G data is really a backup when you just can't get wifi. You shouldn't be expecting to stream video over it. It's mainly for when you want to bring up maps or email or look up sports scores or find somewhere to eat. If you keep your 4G use to lightweight internet surfing, you can easily keep it under 250MB per month.

Just wait til you're on wifi to download apps and stream content.

Posted on Sep 6, 2012 9:48:54 PM PDT
El Tombo: that's a very good point. To answer your question about the provide, I know previous data plans with Kindles were through AT&T, so I would assume the Fire HD deal is as well.

Posted on Sep 7, 2012 4:52:21 AM PDT
Thanks El Tombo, it's good to know that 250MB can be enough for casual surfing.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 7, 2012 5:06:27 AM PDT
Cassie Anne says:
I agree - it's a terrific deal. And meant as an adjunct to wi-fi access. I assume it's ATT, as CJ said above. And you bring up excellent questions about overages. I suspect more info will become available as the release date nears.

I looked at the 4G Fire yesterday, and didn't see an option to pay for the data plan yet. Not sure if it will be like an iPad where you can purchase directly from the device or if you'd pay Amazon directly at the time of purchase.

Regarding next year's price for data - who knows? Amazon has a history of being very customer-centric, so I wouldn't expect a huge increase in price next year. But they're also not in business to go broke, (~grin~) so they may need to increase prices if the market changes.

Posted on Sep 7, 2012 6:30:34 AM PDT
From what I have read, they are saying 250MB/mo for $50 - dirt cheap data plan! There are 3GB & 5GB plans available - I'm looking for the pricing...

I've been an iPhone guy for years and considering an iPad...this could be a HUGE game changer!

Posted on Sep 7, 2012 6:32:34 AM PDT
From what I have read, they are saying 250MB/mo for $50 - dirt cheap data plan! There are 3GB & 5GB plans available - I'm looking for the pricing...

I've been an iPhone guy for years and considering an iPad...this could be a HUGE game changer!

Posted on Sep 8, 2012 7:43:45 AM PDT
does it also support 3G and edge for places without 4G coverage?

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 8, 2012 7:59:36 AM PDT
jsh1120 says:
Some points here.

() Some posters seem to think that 4G and wifi are alternatives. They're not, of course. If you opt for the 4G model you still have wifi connectivity and would presumably use that most of the time.

() In areas where a 4G network is not available, the device will use 3G or Edge if necessary.

() Since the $50 per year plan is an annual contract, there is no guarantee that it will remain in place after a year. No more than you're guaranteed that your one year apartment lease will not change in price. However, the chances that the data plan would be changed after a year are slim to none. Neither AT&T nor Amazon would want to bear the negative PR of a price increase for those who purchased the original plan. But keep in mind that once you exhaust the small monthly download allocation, you are dealing with AT&T's more generous data plans and the prices AT&T charges for them.

The $50 per year plan is a good value for those who need occasional and limited internet access when wifi is not available. It is NOT a substitute for wifi access. In fact, NO 4G data plan for any tablet is a good substitute for wifi access if you expect to download video or audio or even to engage in extensive web browsing. If that is what you're looking for, consider tethering your tablet (any tablet) to a smartphone and share the data plan or purchase a portable router (a "mifi" device) from the cell carrier of your choice. In the long run, it will be considerably less expensive.

Posted on Sep 10, 2012 12:51:12 PM PDT
TL says:
to bad they dont have the 4g on the 7 inch model
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Kindle forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Announcement
Welcome to the Kindle Discussion Forum - A Congregation of Kindle Enthusiasts
0 12 days ago
Announcement
Meet other story lovers at Write On by Kindle
36 12 days ago
Announcement
Enjoy your print books and personal documents on your Kindle with Kindle Convert.
0 Feb 2, 2015
We're So Quirky, Our Chihuahuas Ride Bicycles! So Geese and Tally Ho! 2392 3 seconds ago
Dragi's Croatian Crab Shack and Wine Bar - The times they are a changin' 6902 1 minute ago
newest kindle fires wont connect to wpa...warning to all!!! 13 2 minutes ago
Discounted / Price Dropped Kindle eBooks III 5677 3 minutes ago
Can I get a profile to only show on one of my kindles? 2 6 minutes ago
Kindle Freetime Unlimited on Paperwhite 7 10 minutes ago
Al's Place 35mm 7517 11 minutes ago
Audio books on the Kindle Fire? 127 14 minutes ago
My kindle won't turn on 2206 18 minutes ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  13
Total posts:  25
Initial post:  Sep 6, 2012
Latest post:  Sep 10, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 6 customers

Search Customer Discussions