Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

Nested collections?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 83 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jun 17, 2010 1:59:48 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 17, 2010 2:03:50 PM PDT
Greg Wright says:
Can you nest collections with 2.5.2? In other words, say I have a sci-fi collection, then want to make a sub-collection inside THAT, of, say, specific series or authors? I see no way to do it, so far.

Posted on Jun 17, 2010 2:05:56 PM PDT
krystalspin says:
No. If you think of Collections as Tags instead of Folders, you will be on the right track. So you can give books BOTH SyFy and an author's TAGS, but they will not be hierarchical.

Posted on Jun 17, 2010 2:09:47 PM PDT
No, but you could simulate same by creating collections with the following form:
{SciFi
{SciFi.Hard
{SciFi.Cyberpunk
{SciFi.CharlesStross
{SciFi.Military
{SciFi.Military.JohnRingo
{SciFi.Military.DavidDrake

and so on -- you get the idea

Posted on Jun 17, 2010 3:05:55 PM PDT
No, but I'd like to be able to nest them.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 17, 2010 4:12:41 PM PDT
Dalmane98 says:
Then they would be Folders and not Collections...

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 17, 2010 4:17:08 PM PDT
Dragi Raos says:
Not necessarily so. Google mail has experimental hierarchical labels.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 17, 2010 4:28:52 PM PDT
techweenie says:
I like this idea. I have several that are sci-fi, fantasy, and mystery series that I am going to label in a similar fashion.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 2, 2010 4:38:34 AM PDT
actually, if you just allow collections to have tags, then it would work out. IE if you had a collection ScFi and other collections ScFi.hard and have ScFi.hard to have the ScFi tag, and remove it's tag from the Top level collection, you would have the feature, I people want

Posted on Aug 2, 2010 5:03:41 AM PDT
Danica says:
Someone learned that there is a hierarchy in symbols. Here it is:

<space> - _ ; : ! ? / . ` ^ ~ ' " ( ) [ ] { } @ $ * \ & # % + < = > |

Select the ones you like and use them as prefixes in that order, and by doing so you will create the "nesting" you want. You will need to sort by title to keep them in proper order.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 2, 2010 7:19:54 AM PDT
Dragi Raos says:
I don't quite follow you, since collections *are* tags.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 2, 2010 7:21:02 AM PDT
Dragi Raos says:
Just sorting, not nesting (if I understood what was meant by nesting).

Posted on Aug 2, 2010 7:34:11 AM PDT
collections are Groups of tags, not a tag, and the group could(should) have it's own tag.
for books the tag is the name of the book

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 2, 2010 8:50:06 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 2, 2010 8:51:00 AM PDT
Dragi Raos says:
Chester, collections are tags exactly as much as Gmail labels are tags. Gmail labels have no tags of their own. What makes them more useful is that, while looking at items labeled by one label, one can see other labels applied to them. That feature is very much missing from Kindle implementation. I can go, say, to my "Shorts" collection, but I cannot see what is also labeled as "SciFi" there and what "Crime".

Posted on Aug 2, 2010 11:15:54 AM PDT
what I'm saying is that in a later release, why can't they have label's? I know there are some graph problems with creating cycles, which may become detached from the root(home) etc., but these can be taken care of fairly easily. Also a way of viewing what collections contain a given book/collection would be useful. with 3500 books available on a kindle, a two level hierarchy isn't good enough. if you perfectly divided them up you would have 60 collections containing 60 books each, and in practice it would be a lot worse. what happens when we get 10,000... books etc. This will come up soon if you have large collections of technical papers ( I currently have over 1000 in my collection).

Posted on Oct 27, 2011 7:32:55 PM PDT
Rob Loughrey says:
I would love to have nested collections. I dont really care if its a folder or a tag or whatever. If they want it to work that way it can be made to happen. What I want to do is have a collection for the genre (like mystery or non-fiction) and then have the books sorted by collections of authors inside that.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 27, 2011 7:34:49 PM PDT
Jazzy_Jeff says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

Posted on Apr 13, 2012 5:47:05 AM PDT
Vincent M. says:
The nested collection is the first thing I looked for and really expected from the kindle. I don't care if they're tags or not, implementing recursion on tags is no different than doing it on folders. Get over it and just do it already.

Posted on Apr 13, 2012 8:51:09 AM PDT
one other thing that's needed, tags should be also be a part of the amazon kindle cloud and be sync'ed between devices

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 13, 2012 9:18:36 AM PDT
Dragi Raos says:
Amazon provided the capability of importing collections from another device. Apparently, the rationale against automatic synchronization was that different Kindles on the same account might belong to different persons with different ideas of tagging (e.g. family members - "Current Reading" collection will obviously be different for each of them).

Posted on Apr 13, 2012 9:23:23 AM PDT
Kevin Monroe says:
How long did it taken Amazon to give us collections? (I'm still thrilled that we have them - I'm easily pleased) We probably only have a year or two more to wait before they give us nested collections. Be patient.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 13, 2012 9:23:26 AM PDT
make it optional, or have different "id's" for different family members, have the id's associated with one or more devices

Posted on Apr 13, 2012 9:26:09 AM PDT
Recursion is not the same thing as a hierarchy. I think that there could be problems with display hierarchical tags on such a small screen, and that may be one reason why they aren't implemented that way. Also, the potential for confusion by customers if they put something in a hierarchy farther down than they remembered, then complained about something not showing up where they expected it. Could be a customer support nightmare.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 13, 2012 9:29:33 AM PDT
Dragi Raos says:
... have named "collections of collections"... etc. Yes, I know it is doable.

One of the problems is that Amazon wants for Kindle to be very a simple device for non-techies; people are having difficulties even registering, or deleting a title. I guess that's why Kindle has very few customization options - Amazon doesn't want to overtax their CS even more.

But I suppose they could have some kind of "advanced mode"...

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 13, 2012 9:30:14 AM PDT
they could have a search on title etc. and that would solve the problem

Posted on Apr 13, 2012 9:33:50 AM PDT
If we want to give a functional description of the problem, it's we need a way to organize a large number of ebooks, say a few thousand, into a manageable form that can be shared and sync'ed between devices
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Kindle forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Announcement
NEWS: New Update for Kindle Reading Apps on Android and iOS
77 1 hour ago
Announcement
Hachette/Amazon Business Interruption
0 May 27, 2014
Announcement
Have a Kindle Question?
0 Sep 12, 2012
Prime Music on first generation Kindle Fire. 7 19 seconds ago
FB&C--Free Books and Chat-- Friday July 11, 2014 14 19 minutes ago
Freebie Books - Links Only - No Self Promotion III 3316 25 minutes ago
Amazon Instant Video App for Android? 1424 42 minutes ago
July 2014 Informal Poll--What are you reading now? 99 55 minutes ago
Dragi's Croatian Crab Shack and Wine Bar - The times they are a changin' 3131 58 minutes ago
Australian/Kiwi kindle users thread #3 9271 1 hour ago
FB&C--Free Books and Chat--Thursday July 10, 2014 69 1 hour ago
All purchased games are not working, saying they now require wifi access, I don't have a computer! 12 1 hour ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  21
Total posts:  83
Initial post:  Jun 17, 2010
Latest post:  Mar 17, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 6 customers

Search Customer Discussions