Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

Putting Movies onto Kindle Fire

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 48 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 8, 2011 8:49:07 PM PST
How do I put my own DVDs onto my Kindle Fire.

Posted on Dec 8, 2011 9:23:08 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 8, 2011 9:24:48 PM PST
J. Spotts says:
It is technically illegal to do this except for personal use, but you could copy the DVD to your computer using a PC or Laptop. There are plenty of programs available. Nero Burn is what I'd use. Then if necessary convert the file to MP4. Transfer the file to your kindle by side loading using a USB Cable, wifi tethering app such as Wifi File Explorer Pro, Email or Drop Box.

Side loading:
Click near the battery icon, notifications menu pops up, click more, click device, Allow Installation from Applications, click on. Warning pops up to deter you from side loading content could have virues, malware, etc. They also want you to rebuy the content from Amazon.

Using USB: Using a micro-b usb cable connect your device and your computer. Move the file from your computer to the gallery folder.

Using Wifi File Explorer Pro, open the app, type the address http:xxx.xxx.x.xx:xxxx into your PC browser. You can now access your kindle fires. Drop the MP4 into the gallery Folder instead of the video folder.

Email: Either email it to your personal email and access it through the email app or email it to your kindle email. You can find the kindle email when you click on Docs. You can only email the kindle email using approved emails. Unless you modfiy the settings, the email used to register the device is allowed to do this.

Drop Box: After you have figured out how to side load apps. Drop box can be used to make the process easier. You upload the content to drop box, and then access it through the Drop Box app. You can sideload it from their website virus free. It will store the content online providing you a back up of anything you transfer to the kindle should you need to delete it, but want to access it later easily.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 10, 2011 8:03:45 AM PST
thanks, i'll give it a try.

Posted on Dec 21, 2011 8:27:20 AM PST
ladyhawk says:
Hopefully someone has tried this and can answer. If I take a digital copy of a DVD that I own and store it on a mobile drive. Can I then hook up the mobile drive to the kindle fire and play the movie?

Posted on Dec 21, 2011 8:32:43 AM PST
deannah says:
What mobile drive? Is the movie in a format the Fire can read? (Usually a MP4 format) Do you have an app on the Kindle that lets you access the mobile drive?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 21, 2011 9:20:40 AM PST
Ladyhawk: No, you can't connect a mobile drive to the Fire, and the digital copy that comes with some DVDs is encrypted and can't be played on the Fire. The only way to get a movie from a DVD to a Fire is the process J. Spotts outlined above.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 21, 2011 10:45:13 AM PST
deannah says:
Bruce - There is a wireless drive that can be used with the Fire to store movies. I've done it and it works. Don't know if that is what Ladyhawk is referring to but it can be done. It's called a Wi-Drive and is available to purchase here on Amazon. Kingston Wi-Drive 16 GB USB 2.0 External Hard Drive WID/16GBZ

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 21, 2011 10:45:19 AM PST
[Deleted by the author on Dec 21, 2011 10:45:35 AM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 21, 2011 11:24:36 AM PST
Yes, I've read about that, but even then I believe the movie has to be copied to the Kindle internal storage before it will play.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 21, 2011 4:17:35 PM PST
deannah says:
You may be right, Bruce, but I don't believe it is copied. I think it is just streamed from the Wi-Drive, much like streaming a video from Amazon.

Posted on Dec 21, 2011 4:26:35 PM PST
L. Leverton says:
my son's psp uses the same format and it says use video9 to convert them. We rip the dvd to our computer and decode with dvdfab8. We then use either video9 or dvdcatalyst to convert it to mpeg4. We use teh usb to put them on the psp, I took those movies and uploaded them to amazon's cloud. THe fire is a xmas present so I haven't tried putting them on the fire first, but I see no problem.

Posted on Dec 21, 2011 5:28:07 PM PST
Eltex says:
I would like to know about the streaming from the WiFi drive as well. Is it required to copy the movie and watch it, or can you just stream from the drive?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 21, 2011 5:30:50 PM PST
No need to copy. The movies stream from the drive wirelessly. Several devices can be hooked up to it simultaneously.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 21, 2011 8:23:38 PM PST
deannah says:
It streams from the Kingston Wi-Drive just as you would stream a movie/video from Amazon. You do need the App on your Fire that allows you to connect to the Wi-Drive. Like Nospin said more than one device can stream from the drive at the same time.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 30, 2011 8:47:08 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 30, 2011 8:47:40 PM PST
Goblin says:
can you go more in depth with how the wi-drive works with the kindle fire?
is there an app that i need to download, because i cant find one.

Posted on Feb 27, 2012 11:11:31 AM PST
Colonel D says:
I purchased the Kingston Wi-Drive and tried to copy Amazon purchased downloaded video content from my Fire to the Wi-Drive (MP4) and play back and got an error message. It said something about format not supported or some such. The other problem I had is when I look at my video (or book) files they aren't labeled with code names so you can't tell which file is which. I feel like I'm missing something.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 27, 2012 11:27:40 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 27, 2012 11:28:00 AM PST
A. Dietz says:
Colonel D: I don't believe you can put DRM protected material on the Wi-Drive, so that would exclude Amazon books and movies. You could put non-copy protected material on the drive.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 27, 2012 1:06:32 PM PST
Colonel D says:
Other sites and Fire forums have implied that the Wi-Drive is the solution to the KF's limited internal storage and that you could stream your MP4 video content, your own "cloud". I live in a rural location where bandwidth is poor so you can't live off the Amazon cloud for content delivery. Eventually I will have to offload some videos from the device and have concerns about future access. It looks like you can only download video two times and then it is cloud only.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 27, 2012 2:33:57 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 27, 2012 2:41:26 PM PST
@Regina Cherry.

You are asking several questions here, but this is how i do it.

1. You can get a program called "Wondershare Video Converter" it will rip movies form DVD's or Burn movies to DVD's.
It will also convert almost any format to any other movie format.

2. I am testing a 64gig Kensington Wi-Drive. The Wi-Drive has a WiFi hotspot that will support several WiFi devices. Movies will stream from the Wi-Drive to you Kindle Fire and you can play them with your video player, IE: the Gallery Application that comes with the Kindle, or another that supports streaming.

3. I also use MoBo Player, "just google it" MoBo Player version 1.2.200, I have not found a movie format that will not play on the MoBo Player.

4. If you side load movies onto your Kindle Fire, The Gallery application will not find them in the Video folder of your Kindle Fire, However MoBo Player will.
For the Gallery application, you will need to side load them into the Pictures folder on your Kindle Fire.

5. Another application that is superior to the Gallery Application for the Kindle Fire, is the aVia Media Player, available from "Apps for Android" at amazon. aVia media player like the Gallery app will only play MP4 movies, but it will also slide show your photographs. With the aVia Media Player, store your photographs in your pictures folder, and your movies in your video folder.

Posted on Feb 27, 2012 3:46:17 PM PST
For content purchased from Amazon (especially if you have a lot of it), I would recommend investing in a DRM converter or stripper. IMO, what I paid for is MINE, and I should be able to put it on whatever device I own to use it. I bought several seasons of "Bob and Margaret" from Amazon because it's not available on commercial DVD, and had to strip out the DRM to put it on my portable players.

I also have the MoBo player on my KF and that has fixed the video format for the KF issue. (I also have the Wi drive for extra storage).

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 28, 2012 5:48:21 AM PST
Colonel D says:
Thanks for the advice, is there a stripper/converter that you'd recommend? I agree with you, once I pay for it, regardless of the format it's mine. Having to pay the equivalent price for a hard copy to get a digital copy should not require having DRM encumberances. Seems like a lot of work just to watch a show.

Posted on Feb 28, 2012 7:58:41 AM PST
L. Leverton says:
I really like DVD CAtalyst . It has a conversion that makes it work better with the Fire, It eliminates the black band around the screen. Also, I couldn't get Breaking Dawn to decode with any of my conversion software and I downloaded a new one called Ideal DVD Copy. It gives 12 free trials before you have to buy it. It worked great and burned the dvd all at the same time. DVD Catalyst was the best converter I used. I also use DVD FAb to Decode.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 28, 2012 11:02:25 AM PST
Colonel D says:
I've seen DVD Catalyst on one of the KF forum sites but was unclear if it would do the job with the Amazon video content I've bought. Will DVD Catalyst do everything I need to overcome the DRM issues or will I need decoding software as well? It is sounding complicated to be able to watch these videos from the Wi-Drive.
Does anyone know if there is a limit on how often you can download purchased instant videos to your KF from the Cloud? The Amazon KF information page makes it sound like you can delete from the device and download again repeatedly but I'm not certain that's the case.

Posted on Apr 25, 2012 5:18:09 PM PDT
jayrogo says:
I uploaded a couple movies to my cloud from my laptop, but they dont show up on my kindle fire... any ideas why they arent there? I go to videos...library...cloud, and its blank.

Posted on Apr 25, 2012 5:50:33 PM PDT
The only video cloud you can see from your Fire is the Amazon Instant Video library. The only area you can upload things to the cloud and use them on your Fire currently is Music. The other cloud areas (books and videos) only access content you bought from Amazon which they have stored in your cloud.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  26
Total posts:  48
Initial post:  Dec 8, 2011
Latest post:  May 21, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 26 customers

Search Customer Discussions