Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

found your kindle

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-9 of 9 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jun 16, 2012 8:39:30 AM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Jun 16, 2012 10:06:57 AM PDT]

Posted on Jun 16, 2012 8:48:47 AM PDT
Many, many Kindles get lost on planes. Glad you are trying to find the owner!!!

C. Avila, which model Kindle, which city? What day? Does the Kindle have a name? Have you told the airline in case owner contacts their lost and found dept?

Posted on Jun 16, 2012 9:07:05 AM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Jun 16, 2012 10:07:07 AM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 16, 2012 9:19:58 AM PDT
Have you let the airline know?

Posted on Jun 16, 2012 9:39:08 AM PDT
Bufo Calvin says:
I'm glad that, according to the posting, someone is trying to return a Kindle.

It would be highly inappropriate for Amazon to give out personal contact information for one of their customers to someone just because that person had the serial number of a device. One of the reasons people steal electronics is to get personal information like that, and Amazon would certainly be opening themselves up to legal action if they did give away information, especially if it led to a crime. Amazon is famously protective of its customers privacy, and has fought states that wanted it (North Carolina for one):

http://blogs.newsobserver.com/business/amazoncom-wins-court-reprieve-over-disclosing-names-of-north-carolina-customers

I would suggest the following:

1. I would contact the airline. I would think it likely that a person might report the loss to an airline

2. I would contact Amazon, as you have done. I have heard of Amazon getting a lost Kindle back to someone, acting as the go-between

Contacting the police is a possibility, but I've been on flights where the seatbacks were clearly not cleaned between flights...so it would be very hard to tell the jurisdiction.

Of course, you say you have already e-mailed the person: there is often contact information on a Kindle.

This is a great example of a case where a recovery services company would have been the solution. I recommend those: you buy a sticker to put on a device. It has a toll-free number. If someone finds the device, they call the number, and are given a reward by the company (the owner can have added to the reward amount). The recovery services company picks up the device, and returns it to the owner...at no additional cost to the owner, with no personal information exchanged.

I think the stickers were about $20 apiece, last time I bought them...and that's the entire cost, nothing monthly or annually.

Posted on Jun 16, 2012 9:46:15 AM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Jun 16, 2012 10:07:23 AM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 16, 2012 10:00:36 AM PDT
quilt lover says:
Actually, C. Avila, if nobody responds to this post it will quickly slide away and it is extremely unlikely that the kindle owner would ever see it. Each time someone responds, the post is bumped back to the top. If you've e-mailed the owner, be patient. Maybe she is still on vacation and not checking her e-mail. Also, it could have gone directly to her spam folder, it wouldn't hurt to try to e-mail again.

Posted on Jun 16, 2012 10:12:41 AM PDT
@C. Avila

If this is the same one that was posted here a couple of weeks ago, with the owners name and airline it was found on. the name was unusual and I did a lot of research. I found her in Georgia, Illinois, Arizona and California. The same person. I tried to contact her by phone and no luck.

It was very conscientious of you to post here. but unless something changes before long. I think that you have a Kindle. I also did a search for her in these discussions.

Posted on Jun 16, 2012 10:15:09 AM PDT
Oop's. Where did the OP go?
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  6
Total posts:  9
Initial post:  Jun 16, 2012
Latest post:  Jun 16, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions