Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

video on kindle fire

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-20 of 20 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 15, 2011 2:11:42 PM PST
Ike Mitchell says:
I've loaded an MP4 video onto my kindle fire. I placed it in the Kindle's "Video" directory. But when I go to video, it doesn't show up. How do you play your own MP4 video's on Kindle Fire?

Posted on Nov 15, 2011 2:21:23 PM PST
According to the Amazon help page, regarding moving content via USB (http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html/ref=hp_k4land_trans_usb?nodeId=200728710#usb):
"Videos will appear in the Gallery app. Note that videos transferred via USB will only be available in the Gallery app. Only videos from the Amazon Video store are shown in the Video library. "

Posted on Nov 15, 2011 2:50:45 PM PST
Ike Mitchell says:
That exactly solved my problem. Thanks so much.
Ike

Posted on Nov 16, 2011 5:56:36 PM PST
On the bright side, it beautifully played mp4 videos that the Nook Color was completely incapable of handling. Basically 720p videos encoded using the "Apple TV 2" preset in Handbrake

Posted on Nov 17, 2011 10:41:55 AM PST
rallyjon says:
Why in the world do you have to go to "Gallery" to play a video? That makes no sense and is especially inconvenient given how small the Gallery thumbnails are and how awkward they are to move around.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 17, 2011 10:43:54 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 17, 2011 10:44:56 AM PST
K. Rowley says:
"Why in the world do you have to go to "Gallery" to play a video?"

It's an android device... the kindle video function is for videos from the Amazon website..

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 17, 2011 10:49:09 AM PST
All android tablets store the video's in Gallery, that's the real world.

Posted on Nov 17, 2011 10:55:10 AM PST
rallyjon says:
Really? Wow--that's weak. Then again IOS just started having a separate "videos" icon in the latest update, before that they were buried in with music.

Posted on Nov 19, 2011 12:45:14 PM PST
Jill Bazeley says:
The "iPad" preset in HandBrake also works to convert videos into reasonably sized .m4v files. The .m4v file extension means the file is a .mp4 in the .m4v container.

Posted on Nov 28, 2011 8:21:19 PM PST
crtk says:
I uploaded my video to Kindle Fire, and it plays fine - except that for some reason, it goes across the short side of the screen. In other words, I have to keep Kindle Fire in vertical position to watch my video.

Can't figure out how to rotate it 90 deg., so it would take up the entire screen.

Do you know how to do so?

Posted on Nov 28, 2011 8:48:21 PM PST
What software did you use, if any to convert it? With the one I use I made the mistake with my first video of choosing one of the "rotate video" selections, thinking that it would allow the film to be seen horizontally. Nope--it did what your movie is doing & could only be seen vertically. I quickly changed the setting to "do not rotate." :-D

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 28, 2011 9:13:32 PM PST
crtk says:
Susan, I used Adobe Media Encoder CS5.

Inability to play video full-screen is perplexing. BTW, KF does the same with YouTube videos - they, too, cannot be rotated. Since they derive from a web page, i thought maybe that limitation is somewhat justified.

But with my custom, standalone videos?.. What is the reason not to play them full-screen in landscape mode?

Posted on Dec 23, 2011 2:35:39 PM PST
What you have to do is activate auto rotate. to do this you need to touch the little gear on the top of the screen, then in the left top corner set to unlock.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 23, 2011 9:53:13 PM PST
crtk says:
Carlos. You sir are a genius! Yes, that worked fine - for example, YouTube videos now play in wide screen, horizontally, taking the entire screen.

Except...

My own videos in the Gallery still do not! They do play horizontally now - way better than before - but they still never expand to take the entire screen.

Posted on Dec 23, 2011 10:17:43 PM PST
Barbara says:
Were they Widescreen or Full screen before you converted them? Widescreen will play back wide BUT Full screen is a square block! And will stay a Block no mater how you convert it.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 23, 2011 10:23:19 PM PST
I thought you could play Netflix on the kindle fire?That is what they advertised?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 23, 2011 10:27:03 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 23, 2011 10:27:49 PM PST
crtk says:
Barbara: my own videos are Widescreen. The ratio is correct on playback, but they won't take entire screen.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 23, 2011 10:48:14 PM PST
King Al says:
Yes, you can stream Netflix videos.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 12, 2012 5:06:30 PM PDT
Jingheng says:
that fixed my problem! thanks lot!

Posted on Oct 4, 2013 3:02:42 PM PDT
Blue Jay says:
My kindle fire (not HD) is no longer going into wide screen mode for youtube and stuff, and the loading pages are going into computer mode, it is as if I'm watching it on the computer and its horrible. I have tried reloading the kindle, switching settings on and off, but it is not going back to the way it was as if you first got it.

How do I get them to go into the kindle setup again, not the computer set up?
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Kindle forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Announcement
News: Kindle for iOS Software Update 4.6
0 Dec 15, 2014
Announcement
Simon & Schuster Agreement
0 Oct 20, 2014
Announcement
Have a Kindle Question?
0 Sep 12, 2012
do not buy a kindle! 24 1 minute ago
We're an International Quirky Bunch! Home of Super Hero Sisters, Panama, Many Furry Friends, Featuring Fat Jane the Spanx Wearing Goat, and Cherie! It's the Apocalypse! 1476 3 minutes ago
Conversations with Echo 389 3 minutes ago
registering kindle paperwhites for kids 5 6 minutes ago
my kindle fire hd not charging as it use to........HELP!!!! 5 7 minutes ago
Amazon Echo (no invite questions) 2024 7 minutes ago
closing a downloaded doc 7 8 minutes ago
KINDLE KITCHEN #4: Home of Family, Friends and Good Food! 7399 12 minutes ago
Transfer a kindle book 1 14 minutes ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  15
Total posts:  20
Initial post:  Nov 15, 2011
Latest post:  Oct 4, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 4 customers

Search Customer Discussions