Your Garage Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Blake Shelton Father's Day Gift Guide 2016 Fire TV Stick Luxury Beauty Father's Day Gifts Amazon Cash Back Offer DrThorne DrThorne DrThorne  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $149.99 All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Outdoor Recreation
Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

Bogus - Matchbook program

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 43 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Sep 9, 2013 12:56:01 PM PDT
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 9, 2013 12:57:51 PM PDT
Dittie says:
Tell it to the Kindle users who cried for this for years.

It doesn't exactly make it bogus, though.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 9, 2013 12:58:08 PM PDT
King Al says:
Just because you don't get it does not mean it is bogus. Sheesh!

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 9, 2013 1:33:40 PM PDT
T. Cannon says:
I realize that this program will not include all books but one of the nice things about this program is that it will be retroactive back to 1995 before Kindles existed. There are some books that I purchased before Kinlde existed that I would love to have for a discounted price in Kindle format. I'm not going to complain if my books don't make the cut but I'm goinng to be happy if they do.

As for your lantern/lamp comparison. I have both lamps and lanterns. I use them for different things at defferent times. I also have paper books and Kindle books that I use for different things at different times.

Now if you have no desire for a lantern no one will make you get one and if you have no desire for a paper book no one will make you get one. Why does it upset you that Amazon is offering a program that you seem to have no interest in? I don't buy enough physical items from Amazon to make Amazon Prime a good deal so I do not participate in that program. I do not, however, assume that everyone feels like I do about Amazon Prime and post rants about how $79 is too much money and why would anyone pay it.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 9, 2013 1:35:31 PM PDT
*TRUMPET FANFARE*

Ladies and gentlemen we have a weeenerrr! It was only a matter of time. Those of you with today's date and time on the grid, please take your bet checks to the windows to collect your winnings.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 9, 2013 1:37:29 PM PDT
Why do you care so much about a program you have no interest in?

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 9, 2013 2:18:12 PM PDT
Perry says:
As T. Cannon has said, Amazon has made this program retro to the beginnings of Amazon.com back when they only sold books. If you were long time Amazon customer who hadn't bought a Kindle yet, then suddenly found out that you had access to dozens of free or discounted books, you might just end up buying yourself a Kindle. Going forward, those people can buy the bundles to have access to both paper and e-books. I'm too lazy to go through all my orders from the past 15 years, so it will be interesting to see what deals start showing up for me.

With the Auto-Rip, I had close to 40 mp3 albums show up, including many I have absolutely no interest in anymore, but there were several that were nice to have. But when I buy a new album, I check the CD prices, many times the CD price is cheaper than the mp3 album and includes the AutoRip, for example: Icky Thump $4.99 CD w/AutoRip, $10.49 mp3, so there may be similar deals when the Matchbook bundles start showing up.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 9, 2013 2:19:59 PM PDT
Oh, God. The irony. It burns.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 9, 2013 3:13:13 PM PDT
Dog Lover says:
<I don't get it.>

Truth.

DL

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 9, 2013 3:15:55 PM PDT
Dog Lover says:
I can hardly wait until October when this program deploys. I hope that Amazon will do something similar to the way that they handled the Rip stuff. In that they dumped eligible MP3 files on my cloud. They can't do that for these books but if they give me a list of my eligible purchase, that would be terrific!

I began checking my Amazon purchase history - stopped when I got to over 250 books that might be eligible!

DL

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 9, 2013 3:40:08 PM PDT
Verbose says:
>> This program is like trying to induce someone to buy a lantern by giving them a free lamp with the purchase.

No. This program is like offering somebody a cheap (or free) lamp because they bought a lantern from you a few years ago.

You must be very young (like about 10?) if you can't fathom the idea that some people purchased lanterns before the lamp generation began and might want to replace those lanterns with lamps. Then they can donate their lanterns if they choose. Or, if they no longer have those lanterns because they already gave them away or lost them in some manner, then now they have the opportunity to possess them again in the form of a lamp without paying as much.

Additionally, as a college student, I find that a school lantern works better for me than a school lamp. But school lamps have some advantages for schoolwork also. Since it would be ridiculously expensive to purchase both a lantern and a lamp, I choose the lantern in this situation. But, if they ever happen to offer school lanterns and lamps in this program, I would probably purchase both the lanterns and the lamps.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 9, 2013 3:46:56 PM PDT
flipoid says:
Perhaps you should check your dictionary (either a print one or your Kindle dictionary) for the definition of "bogus"

not genuine; counterfeit; spurious; sham.

What about the new Matchbook program fits any part of that definition? From the description of the soon-to-launch Matchbook:

"For thousands of qualifying books, your past, present, and future print-edition purchases will soon allow you to buy the Kindle edition for $2.99, $1.99, $0.99, or free."

The only way the program would fit the description is if, once the program starts, there are Kindle editions that you are charged, for example, $3.99 for, when the description says that the highest price will be $2.99. Or if the digital versions of the books violated copyright laws so they weren't allowed to sell or give away that digital copy with or without a paper book.

And *you* might believe that the only place(s) for a paper book are in mylar, a box, a basement or a will, but I don't happen to agree with you.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 9, 2013 3:49:54 PM PDT
Lol Folina! I gave it a week. Where's the window? :)

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 9, 2013 4:24:44 PM PDT
R. Wilde says:
Just on the off chance you're not a troll, I'll give you a serious response.

You seem to be anti-hardcopy. This program allows people to potentially replace some of their hard copies with ebooks at a reduced price. How is that "bogus"?

Posted on Sep 9, 2013 4:29:01 PM PDT
Carbonbased says:
No, not bogus at all. Limited? At the moment, yes. (10,000 books out of how many million?)
I have already rebought a few books in e-format that I already owned in paper--certainly not all that I could have, or all that I might be interested in doubling up on later.
I have several paper books in my 'save for later' cart that I can't decide whether I want in paper or pixels. If there was a substantial discount, I'd get both.

Aren't we owed a flounce?

Posted on Sep 9, 2013 4:32:44 PM PDT
Honestly, I bought very few dtb's through Amazon. I tried to use local bookstores, at least while there were local bookstores. So, obviously, I'm being gouged and ripped off that I can't get discounted eBooks from Amazon.

Posted on Nov 6, 2013 8:02:19 AM PST
Valkyrie says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 6, 2013 8:06:07 AM PST
How dare they only give you 11 free things.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 6, 2013 8:07:29 AM PST
Just Peachy says:
Did you change accounts in 2006 or 2007?

I got NO free or discounted books so far. None whatsoever. Oh well, not a big deal.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 6, 2013 8:10:42 AM PST
"...retroactive back to 1995 ...."
Well - in actuality it is only retroactive back to how far you can remember the account(s) email address you've used with Amazon.
I have used 3 different email accounts for my Amazon accounts over the years and after 2+ hours on Chat and Phone - would have been no more that 15 minutes if English was their 1st language - they could see my previous accounts and I could verify name, address and phone for all 3 but just couldn't come up with the exact email address for the 1st 2 accounts I used why back when! Hotmail? TimeWarner RoadRunner??
oh well.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 6, 2013 8:26:51 AM PST
Valkyrie says:
NONE of them were free---as stated above, ten were at $1.99 and the 11th at $.99 (and that one I had given away a long time ago)

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 6, 2013 8:28:03 AM PST
Valkyrie says:
Not that I remember, but I will check into that---thanks for the tip

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 6, 2013 8:29:31 AM PST
King Al says:
Quit whining. If you had read the original announcement, you would have known that only a small percentage of books qualify.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 6, 2013 8:43:04 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 6, 2013 8:43:40 AM PST
Valkyrie says:" 2. Out of the hundreds and hundreds of books I have purchased from Amazon directly (not counting the Marketplace) they have found a grand total of eleven books that are included in this program."

What were you expecting? Amazon has 44 million paper books for sale right now. Not including the many that were for sale over the years since they opened that are no longer available. Compared to those 44 million paper books, there are only 2 million kindle books. And out of those 2 million kindle ebooks, only 81,000 are signed up to be a part of the match program.

So you are talking about 81,000 out of 44,000,000 (0.2%). I'd say you getting 11 matches puts you in the high end of probability for matches.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 6, 2013 8:46:26 AM PST
They were expecting that a magical replication of their bookcases would appear on their Kindles.

Duh.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Kindle forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Announcement
Critical Software Update for Kindle E-Readers
0 Mar 23, 2016
Announcement
Welcome to the Kindle Discussion Forum - A Congregation of Kindle Enthusiasts
0 Mar 20, 2015
Hear Ye! Hear Ye! We're Quirky And We're Not Going To Take It Anymore! 2016, You've Been Warned! So Geese And Tally Ho! 9455 36 seconds ago
do even the old kindles have audio capability 15 1 minute ago
When will the kindle paperweight be compatible with audible? 18 2 minutes ago
85° and Sunny - A Perfect Day to RAOK! 6721 9 minutes ago
Update changed everything 14 27 minutes ago
Turning Kindle Paperwhite OFF 41 30 minutes ago
Repair address for a kindle Fire 171 33 minutes ago
Free Books and Chat (FB&C)---May 2016 869 35 minutes ago
Listing titles of short story articles as books! 22 47 minutes ago
Oasis Screen Freeze 4 58 minutes ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  27
Total posts:  43
Initial post:  Sep 9, 2013
Latest post:  Nov 7, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 3 customers

Search Customer Discussions