Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

Can I replace Kindle battery?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 10 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Aug 5, 2011 4:39:31 AM PDT
Bulrush says:
I have been using rechargable batteries since 1987 and know that they do not last forever. So, after I have my Kindle for several years, can I replace the batteries if they go bad?

Also, what kind of batteries does the most recent Kindle use? Some type of Lithium?

Thanks.

Posted on Aug 5, 2011 4:56:23 AM PDT
Yes the battery can be replaced. You have a choice. You can have Amazon do it for you for a fee of $59 (or at least that was the price at the release of the K2, it's possible it's lower now). You send in your Kindle and they'll send you back a refurbished Kindle with a fresh battery.

If you don't want to have to go through the hassle of setting up a different Kindle and all that you can replace the battery yourself. There's a company that has a website that sells new batteries for somewhere around $20-25 along with the little tool needed to remove the back from your Kindle. Evidently there are just two small screws that have to be removed in order to take out the old battery. Quite a few people have done it themselves and say it's easy to do.

For the specs on the battery I think it's listed on the Kindle specs page.

Posted on Aug 5, 2011 5:03:05 AM PDT
Jazzy_Jeff says:
I also recommend watching a video on youtube to see how it is done. See if you want to mess with it.

Posted on Aug 7, 2011 5:57:11 AM PDT
B. Gonzalez says:
This site offers the videos depending on your Kindle model:

http://www.newpower99.com/SearchResults.asp?Search=kindle&Search.x=0&Search.y=0

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 7, 2011 7:36:02 AM PDT
Denis Powell says:
The K3 uses a Lithium Polymer battery that may lose 15% of it's capacity after 500 charge cycles, so if you charge it once a week it should last for 10 years before you see a noticable loss in capacity. Naturally, like everything else, batteries are subject to quality control issues so there will be a small proportion that won't last that long, but in general I don't think there's much need to worry, as I suspect the battery may well outlast my K3 even assuming I've not upgraded in the next 10 years.

Further details here.

http://www.ibt-power.com/Battery_packs/Li_Polymer/Lithium_polymer_tech.html

Posted on Aug 7, 2011 12:04:51 PM PDT
I replaced my battery on the K2 in about 10 minutes. Did not need special tool to remove the back. I bought the battery through eBay for $18. You should watch the video on You Tube.

Posted on Nov 5, 2013 2:57:16 PM PST
I have a Kindle Fire HD 7". I received it for Christmas last year. It said in the information that the battery life was 11 hours for reading and that you should leave it on unless you wouldn't be using it for several days. Well my kindles battery runs down whether or it is on and just playing one game of spider solitaire, it goes down 2%. I have to plug it in if I want to watch a movie, but then I can't watch a movie if I am away from a power source. What do I do?
Melanie

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2013 12:02:48 AM PST
U.R.Nuts says:
Melanie Asked: "What do I do?"

My Reply: What to do about what?

Posted on Sep 9, 2014 2:43:23 PM PDT
LINDA CONDON says:
I have to charge it every day is it time for battery change

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 9, 2014 2:45:14 PM PDT
Linda, this is an old thread, with posts that may not be relevant for you.

Start a new thread, and explain what is happening. Please include which Kindle model you're asking about.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Kindle forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  10
Total posts:  10
Initial post:  Aug 5, 2011
Latest post:  Sep 9, 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 4 customers

Search Customer Discussions