Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

Making a gift card for a specific Kindle e-Book

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-7 of 7 posts in this discussion
Initial post: May 7, 2012 11:34:24 AM PDT
DJ Chuang says:
It's not comparing apples to apples when I'm comparing amazon to apple. But it sure would be nice if I could create X number of 1-time-use codes that I can print onto gift cards that I can sell or giveaway to people IRL -- in the same way that iTunes can giveaway ebooks, apps, and songs at Starbucks.

Is there such a thing for amazon kindle e-books? Is there a suggestion box for amazon.com to make this idea into a reality?

Posted on May 7, 2012 11:41:31 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 7, 2012 11:42:13 AM PDT
A. Dietz says:
You can give a book as a gift by clicking on "Gift" underneath the "Buy" button. You do need a specific e-mail address for where you want the gift to be sent. I'm not exactly sure why you'd want to sell certificates for specific books, you won't get a discount so either you're not going to make any money or if you charge more, people can just go to Amazon and get it cheaper. I must be missing something here.

ETA: Isn't an Amazon Gift card practically the same thing as what you're talking about, with a whole lot more flexibility?

Posted on May 10, 2012 8:26:23 PM PDT
DJ Chuang says:
Hello A.Dietz, thanks for the reply. What you've described are some functional similarities for getting an ebook gifted to someone.

What I'd want to be able to do (also) is to give an ebook to someone without getting their email, and to make the giving away in a tangible physical manner, because that makes it frictionless for people with whom I'm meeting in person. And, the point is not to give people an Amazon gift card for a dollar amount, the point is to give them only the ebook.

I'm looking to give the same experience that Starbucks (and others) can offer by giving a card with a download code for a specific ebook. (which means they don't get to use the download code as credit for something else.)

Posted on May 10, 2012 8:50:46 PM PDT
You should be able to do it by emailing the book gift to yourself, because you still have to claim the gift with a serial number, don't you? The gift claim serial number isn't actually tied to an email address or account - if you gifted yourself something and posted the claim serial number here, the first person to put it into their gift card claim would be able to use it. So then you can just give the claim serial number to your recipient, along with instructions on how to claim it using their amazon account, and you're set.

Posted on May 10, 2012 11:41:50 PM PDT
C. S. Jones says:
Gifting an ebook isn't a serial number but an email with a link to an Amazon product page where they can accept the book. The link is the only way to get to it.

In reply to an earlier post on May 10, 2012 11:47:26 PM PDT
AmeliaAT says:
That's what I thought, too -- I think that CBP must have been thinking of gift cards, which do work that way.

I think the only way to do this is to ask people for an email address. People can always give an email address that isn't their primary one. As long as they're logged into Amazon when they accept the gift, it goes into the correct account -- they don't have to use the same email that they use for their Amazon account.

Posted on May 11, 2012 12:01:53 AM PDT
Bixillarla says:
Even if you send ebook as a gift to someone email they have the option to convert the amount into a gift balance if they do not want the ebook that you selected for them.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Kindle forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  6
Total posts:  7
Initial post:  May 7, 2012
Latest post:  May 11, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions