Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

paper white vs fire --

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-11 of 11 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 20, 2012 3:52:04 AM PST
how is the kindle fire for reading?

Posted on Nov 20, 2012 3:58:26 AM PST
Meh. It's like reading on your computer. Fairly bright, and impossible to read outside or with a lot of light around you. You're more likely to develop eye strain when reading then when reading a paperwhite.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 20, 2012 4:09:39 AM PST
SeaLevel274 says:
I wanted to and thought I would really like the Paperwhite, but I found my eyes were really bothered by the display. It made my eyes water and I just couldn't focus on the words. Part of it *may* have had to do with the pink and blue/green discoloration in the background. If you read outside you wouldn't want to read on something like the Fire, iPad mini or Nexus 7, but otherwise you might like one of those. I have no problem reading on my Nexus 7 with the brightness turned down and the screen color set for Sepia, because the lighting and background are uniform.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 20, 2012 4:11:11 AM PST
SeaLevel, sounds like you had a defective display. Mine is perfectly white...

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 20, 2012 4:28:27 AM PST
SeaLevel274 says:
I guess it was defective, and I returned it after trying it for a week or so. I've seen a few other Paperwhites, and I have yet to see one with a display that has as uniform lighting and sharp text as what I see on my Nexus 7 tablet. It's probably best for someone to compare different options if at all possible, since it can be pretty subjective, and dependent on personal preference. Things like the weight or cost of the device can also be very important to consider.

Posted on Nov 20, 2012 4:28:45 AM PST
I like my Fire HD better than the eInk its easy to read with sharp fonts, and a lot easier to navigate. I always found it awkward navigating the Kindle when trying to find a new book or get back to a pages It is hard to read when out in the full sun. But I have less problem with eyestrain than with a real book. I find the solidness and heft of the fire is more comfortable than the plasticy feel of the kindle more pleasant. Font selection and spacing seems more customizable in the Fire. I don't mean to discredit the Kindle its still a great way to read a book, but if reading under less than full sunlight, I find that the Fire is very pleasant to read. my old eyes don't have any problem reading a book fire hours at a time. and I tend to use a font that is a little smaller than i do on the Kindle.

Posted on Nov 20, 2012 4:57:50 AM PST
fleaBe says:
Liberty Spirit - have you had the opportunity to try a paperwhite? I've started using my iPad again and also found that the crispness seemed to be easier on my eyes than than my Touch. I much prefer the portability of the Kindle though...so was toying with the idea of getting a PW after I've recovered from the holidays.

Posted on Nov 20, 2012 5:20:08 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 20, 2012 5:20:50 AM PST
If you want to read. Get eink. If you want to play games, watch movies, surf the net, and do email, get a Fire.

I realize it's late but if you'd like to read some other posts responding to the same question, do a search and find hundreds, maybe thousands.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 20, 2012 5:31:43 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 20, 2012 5:32:56 AM PST
The Paperwhite in the Amazon case is extremely portable and allows you to read in any light.
I use the Fire HD for immersion reading and the Paperwhite for all other now. The basic is on loan and may become the loaner. I use to carry the basic but the pw fits in the smallest purse.

Eta the KK has not been used

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 20, 2012 2:07:42 PM PST
No, I haven't just gen 1 kindle and keyboard kindle and a nook, but the idea of eyestrain on my Fire is a foreign one, and may be over stated. My preference for the fire is not in the display though, it is in the navigation and flexibility. finding books, and reading PDF manuals has proven to be easier for me. I also like the solid feel and heft of the Fire.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 20, 2012 2:28:22 PM PST
Reading color magazines or books with pictures is a whole lot more pleasant with the fire. I use my HD a lot for technical manuals using the dedicated PDF reader. This is an impossible task with an ereader because you can only scale the text and not the images and tables. I would say if you don't plan on reading under the bright summer sun to often go with the Fire not because it surfs the web or plays more movies but because it is a better reader. It is a better reader because its easier to find books, reads more different stuff. and handles pictures better.

There are advantages to the eink, though which haven't been mentioned in this thread.
1 better battery life
2 You can set the lighting once and not have to touch it again.
3 cheaper.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  7
Total posts:  11
Initial post:  Nov 20, 2012
Latest post:  Nov 20, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 4 customers

Search Customer Discussions