Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

What is the best software to convert from .pdf to .azw3, .epub or .mobi?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-11 of 11 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jul 3, 2012 11:25:44 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 3, 2012 11:30:06 AM PDT
Yuri Araujo says:
Read .pdf on "Kindle Touch" improved, but still I choose to convert.

I use Calibre to convert from .pdf to .azw3, but the conversions are horrible.

So, what is the best program to convert form .pdf to .azw3, .epub or .mobi to read on the "Kindle touch" with the formatting more closest possible of the .pdf?

And what is the best format to convert to read on "Kindle touch"?

Posted on Jul 3, 2012 12:28:57 PM PDT
S. Dunham says:
I think all the software is pretty much the same. It's the types of PDF files that matter. PDF files that are like text books with a lot of inserts like graphs, photos, and tables do not convert well at all. If it's just text, those convert fine.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 3, 2012 12:31:04 PM PDT
Beth Sexton says:
Yuri, you could also try to send it through Amazon's free conversion and see if it helps.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 3, 2012 12:55:44 PM PDT
Yuri Araujo says:
Mobipocket Creator is better than the Calibre

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 3, 2012 1:53:37 PM PDT
I'm glad you found something that works for you

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 3, 2012 1:57:16 PM PDT
S. Dunham says:
I've used both Mobipocket Creator and Calibre, and there is no difference in my opinion. Then again, I only put text-only books on my Kindle. I've never tried, or had the need, to convert a PDF text books or manuals. Most times, I just send the files through Amazon. I like that they add them to the archives now. If you do send a PDF file through Amazon, remember to put CONVERT in the subject line.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 3, 2012 3:13:17 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 3, 2012 3:14:49 PM PDT
Yuri Araujo says:
Duham,

There is a big difference between the two in text formatting and the Mobipocket Creator has done better conversions. I send pdf files through "Send to Kindle" (Amazon software). I didn't understand "remember to put CONVERT in the subject line", where do I put CONVERT on "Send to Kindle"? Should I write CONVERT in Title?

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 3, 2012 3:52:48 PM PDT
Yuri, all emails have a subject line. That is where you but Convert. It usually falls between the email address that you are sending the email to and the body of the email.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 3, 2012 3:56:44 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 3, 2012 3:56:52 PM PDT
Yuri Araujo says:
Ok vjvl51, but I speak if it is possible CONVERT through "Send to Kindle" software.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 3, 2012 4:18:45 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 3, 2012 4:19:41 PM PDT
Beth Sexton says:
Yuri,

from

http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html/?nodeId=200767340#fees

"Note: You can also send your personal documents via e-mail as attachments to [name]@free.kindle.com. To have a document converted to Kindle format (.azw), the subject line should be "convert." Kindle Personal Documents Service will attempt to deliver your personal documents to your Kindle device via Wi-Fi when connected, and to the e-mail address associated with the Amazon account to which the device is registered. You can use the e-mail to download the file to your computer and transfer it to your Kindle device using a USB connection."

You do not use Send to Kindle, you just email the file to your Kindle (you can get the address from http://www.amazon.com/myk on the Manage my Devices page) @free.kindle.com and put convert in the subject line.

Posted on Jul 3, 2012 6:03:36 PM PDT
Unfortunately, many PDF's don't display well on Kindle. This is an inherent weakness of the PDF format, not of Kindle. It is possible to optimize and/or convert them for better results. This article (and its internal links) explains a couple of ways to do it: http://www.freewaregenius.com/2011/03/24/optimize-pdfs-for-reading-on-your-kindle-3-crop-then-convert-to-a-kindle-friendly-format/
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Kindle forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Announcement
NEWS: Kindle Personal Documents Features
30 26 minutes ago
Announcement
NEWS: Kindle for PC Update 1.10.8
0 26 days ago
Announcement
NEWS: Kindle Paperwhite 1st Generation Software Update Version 5.4.4
451 27 minutes ago
Announcement
NEWS: Kindle Paperwhite 2nd Generation Software Update Version 5.4.3
142 6 hours ago
Announcement
NEWS: Seeing "Invalid Item" When Using Kindle for Android?
55 6 days ago
Announcement
Have a Kindle Question?
0 Sep 12, 2012
4 g 7 2 seconds ago
DTVBluetooth paired devices 0 28 seconds ago
It's a Quirky Jungle Out There! With So Geese, Midnight Goats, Orange Loving Cows, Cat and Dog Overlords of the Universe, Velvet Monkeys Plus Cherie! 8279 38 seconds ago
cannot sync & check for items 15 2 minutes ago
Kids Keep Erasing My Fire 4 3 minutes ago
Al's Place 34: There aren't any miracles on this street 9380 3 minutes ago
ARRAY(0xa14682e8)

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  5
Total posts:  11
Initial post:  Jul 3, 2012
Latest post:  Jul 3, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions