Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

Who Still Uses a Kindle-1, Kindle-2, or Kindle DX?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 88 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 25, 2012 2:05:20 PM PST
Charles says:
Just taking a poll. I'm not interested if you still OWN one of these devices unless you regularly read on one of them. My guess is that not many people are using the K-1 anymore, but that the K2 and DX are still going strong.

Posted on Dec 25, 2012 2:09:46 PM PST
Arual says:
I do! I have had my K1 since October 2008, and it still works like a champ. I use it for a loaner now. I've sold at least four Kindles for Amazon through it.

Posted on Dec 25, 2012 2:15:18 PM PST
My best friend still reads every day on a K1, I read every day on my trusty K2

Posted on Dec 25, 2012 2:19:56 PM PST
Still regularly read on my 2. Both kiddos (ages 6 and 8) have Kindle Fire. I don't want to upgrade yet!

Posted on Dec 25, 2012 2:22:30 PM PST
CBRetriever says:
(KINDLE FORUM PRO)
K2 is my living room reader

Posted on Dec 25, 2012 2:33:10 PM PST
Just sold my kindle keyboard for my niece's Christmas present. I know she'll love s as she has been wanting an e reader previously I used it as a laner if someone wanted to read I book I had or wanted to experience an e-reader before buying. I still use my kindle touch and wanted to try to sell it in order to buy a new Paperwhite. But I thnk I got enough money for Christmas to buy it anyway! I'll use my birthday money or money if I sell my touch to buy accessories. I can't wait. I have really loved all my kindles. Amazon rocks.

Posted on Dec 25, 2012 2:51:23 PM PST
OnOneWheel says:
K2 here, purchased in July 2009. It's my outside reader when it's warm (gotten where it doesn't hold a charge like it used to). OFire and iPad3 are the main readers now.

Posted on Dec 25, 2012 2:57:25 PM PST
Figment says:
K1 purchased the first year they were available...still read on it daily. I'd feel disloyal were I to upgrade before Bemis died.

Posted on Dec 25, 2012 2:59:51 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 25, 2012 3:15:33 PM PST
My Kindle-1 is still being used my my friends wife, my Kindle-2 is being used by a different friends daughter and my Kindle DX is being used by another friend. I bought my father a Kindle keyboard. They all love the various devices and I now have a Kindle Paperwhite.

Posted on Dec 25, 2012 3:05:05 PM PST
G. says:
I still use my two K2s: One at the office and for outside the house trips, and one in my bedroom for night time reading. I just got a PW for Christmas, so this may replace my bedroom K2.

Posted on Dec 25, 2012 3:15:47 PM PST
I still use my K2. And I will absolutely not use any of the newer kindles unless I have no choice. I do not want to use a kindle that requires me to touch the screen. With my k2 I could eat greasy chicken dripping with barbecue sauce if I wanted to (not that I do) and just wipe off the sides later on. If I tried that with a touch screen I wouldn't be able to even see my book after a couple bites. That is actually part of the reason I loved my kindle when I got it so much more than dead tree books. I could snack on chips or whatever while reading and not worry about getting stains on the pages.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 25, 2012 3:32:28 PM PST
G. says:
Not to mention (IMHO) that the K2 is a much sturdier device then it's siblings. I dropped one of my K2s on a concrete floor (still in the case) but it landed on it's face, and it is stilling going strong. I think the old Kindles are made a bit heartier; the fact that they were a small fortune probably plays into the stellar manufacturing.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 25, 2012 4:43:56 PM PST
Charles says:
"I still use my K2. And I will absolutely not use any of the newer kindles unless I have no choice. I do not want to use a kindle that requires me to touch the screen."

Will you not even use a K3 (Keyboard)? I always thought the K2 and K3 were very closely related.

Posted on Dec 25, 2012 4:43:56 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 25, 2012 4:48:45 PM PST
I bought my Kindle 2 in March 2009. It started having a couple of problems in January 2012 so I immediately purchased a Kindle Keyboard to ensure I would never be without a Kindle (I'd been thinking about it for quite a while at that point) and then I called Kindle customer service, who helped me fix the problems I was experiencing on my Kindle 2. I now read from both as I don't want nonuse to be the reason for the "death" of either Kindle, if that's possible. I prefer the display on my Kindle 2 (title always displaying and other things), and I really love that I can adjust my line spacing on it to the space that I need it to be (I have "bouncing" eyes where I have difficulty staying on the appropriate line and used to have to use a straight-edge to read DT books); I'm very disappointed that the KK's largest line spacing is severely limited (I have it set on large line spacing, but I don't like to reduce the number of words per line as that doesn't seem to help me that much).

To help your poll: A friend of mine still uses his Kindle 1 everyday so there are a few out there. I have another friend who uses his Kindle DX everyday.

Posted on Dec 25, 2012 4:52:35 PM PST
luv2read says:
Me. I read on my DX (purchased used earlier this year) weekly and it's packed to the gills with books.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 25, 2012 7:55:30 PM PST
Ok, yes I would use a K3. I would even use a K1 if need be. I should have been more precise in saying that I will not use a kindle which doesn't have page turn buttons unless I have no choice.

Posted on Dec 25, 2012 8:50:26 PM PST
Gismo says:
I still have a Kindle 2 that I use but I really like the new 8.9 HD fire that I got for Christmas a lot better

Posted on Dec 25, 2012 8:57:41 PM PST
K. C. Vogel says:
Use my DX, especially for text to speech. My son uses my K2.

Posted on Dec 25, 2012 9:06:02 PM PST
DLee says:
I use my DX every single night; it's my "read in bed" Kindle. I got one when it first came out; it had an issue with the toggle key and I got it replaced just this year - one month shy of when they discontinued it. Very sad to see it go. Wish Amazon would come out with the same large e-ink display in a smaller footprint.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 25, 2012 9:20:38 PM PST
The Blade says:
Not sure what you mean by "regularly read". I no long have a regular reader. I read on my Fire, my KK, and my PW in equal amounts at different times and for different materials.

But we do regularly read on our 3 K1s in our household, also. They have set purposes.

1. Our sample K1. Book samples are placed on this one and passed around the household.
2. Our recipes K1. It is kept in the kitchen along with a stand and used as our main cookbook.
3. Our reference K1. This contains various reference/computer/how-to books and is a one-stop-shop for reference material.

So, none are regular "readers" but all are accessed daily and read "regularly". Your call on how you want this to fit into your informal poll. :-)

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 25, 2012 10:24:55 PM PST
A. Valentine says:
Both my daughter and I still use our Kindle 1s every day...have had them since 2008, and love them dearly!

Posted on Dec 26, 2012 12:09:42 AM PST
J. Carte says:
I received a Kindle Paperwhite from my wife for Christmas, so decided to give away my trusty Kindle 2. I didn't realize how attached I was to it until that moment, but I know the family member I gave it to will use it and enjoy it.

As painful as it was to give away my Kindle 2, I'm forced to admit that my new Paperwhite is an absolute pleasure to read on. So much lighter, smaller, much higher resolution, built in light, and exact same size screen as my old Kindle 2. The reading experience on it really is dramatically better.

Posted on Dec 26, 2012 12:41:42 AM PST
VaritekFF says:
I am not sure which I have but I still use my 3G keyboard everyday for reading...just got gift card toawards the Kindle Fire 8.9 HD that I am going to get but I think I am going to keep my books on my first kindle

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 26, 2012 4:20:54 AM PST
Tess says:
I gave my K-1 to my son's fiance. She reads on it regularly and doesn't want to upgrade. I have the K-3 and love it. No interest in a touch screen.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 26, 2012 4:41:28 AM PST
TooManyBooks says:
My husband bought me a K1 in May 2008 and I bought a backup when the K2 was announced, because I love the K1's big pageturn button. Being able to turn the page by pressing the button at the top is most comfortable for bedtime reading for me. So yes, I still use my K1s regularly, along with a few later models for daytime/carry-along reading.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Kindle forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Announcement
NEWS: Kindle Personal Documents Features
43 11 hours ago
Announcement
NEWS: Kindle for PC Update 1.10.8
0 28 days ago
Announcement
NEWS: Kindle Paperwhite 1st Generation Software Update Version 5.4.4
470 1 day ago
Announcement
NEWS: Kindle Paperwhite 2nd Generation Software Update Version 5.4.3
144 15 hours ago
Announcement
NEWS: Seeing "Invalid Item" When Using Kindle for Android?
55 9 days ago
Announcement
Have a Kindle Question?
0 Sep 12, 2012
The cost of Kindle books from Amazon.com 1 3 minutes ago
Older Kindle Fire Slow to Charge 3 7 minutes ago
kindle fire 5 9 minutes ago
It's a Quirky Jungle Out There! With So Geese, Midnight Goats, Orange Loving Cows, Cat and Dog Overlords of the Universe, Velvet Monkeys Plus Cherie! 8701 10 minutes ago
ESP Emporium special offer? 33 12 minutes ago
Freebie Books - Links Only - No Self Promotion III 1241 12 minutes ago
ARRAY(0x9c03a024)

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  67
Total posts:  88
Initial post:  Dec 25, 2012
Latest post:  Sep 30, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 6 customers

Search Customer Discussions