Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

no loan option

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-18 of 18 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Apr 22, 2012 11:45:19 PM PDT
I am trying to loan a book to a friend (first time) and I don't get the loan option even though the book has Lending enabled on the product page. I am in South Africa, does this make any difference ? In fact I don't get the loan option on any of my books.

Posted on Apr 22, 2012 11:50:36 PM PDT
CBRetriever says:
yes, the loan option only works in the US from what i understand - I see complaints about it all the time on the amazon.fr and amazon.co.uk sites

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 22, 2012 11:55:45 PM PDT
@D.L.: You can check the details at http://www.amazon.com/kindle-lending

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 22, 2012 11:56:10 PM PDT
Oh dear, that is very sad :-(

Posted on Apr 22, 2012 11:58:21 PM PDT
Thanks John, I have been to that link, followed it but still I don't get the option - I am starting to think we don't get the option here in South Africa as CBRetriever says above.

Posted on Apr 23, 2012 12:01:10 AM PDT
CBRetriever says:
yep, here's the link to a discussion on the UK site:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/forum/kindle/ref=cm_cd_tfp_ef_tft_tp?_encoding=UTF8&cdForum=Fx3IRFCNF3E5K2W&cdThread=Tx2V9ABDWBBJLYN

however, it is possible to transfer books that aren't DRM protected (see link for how to)

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 23, 2012 12:08:26 AM PDT
@D.L.: I put that link in because it tells you all the details of lending on a Kindle. On that page, it says: "At this time, Kindle book lending can only be initiated by customers residing in the United States." You can't initiate a loan from South Africa.

Posted on Apr 23, 2012 12:14:43 AM PDT
Thank you John and CBR for you help, hopefully one day this will be available to us as well.

Posted on May 19, 2012 7:18:53 PM PDT
Kiki says:
hey there, i'm in the US and in the details it says loaning - enabled (like the picture shown on amazon prime site) but the section by book does not have the option to click on loan this book. any help is welcome thanks!

In reply to an earlier post on May 19, 2012 7:20:38 PM PDT
Kiki, what is the book?

In reply to an earlier post on May 19, 2012 7:21:22 PM PDT
Which Book?

Posted on May 19, 2012 10:05:31 PM PDT
@Kiki A lot of the books have the loaning enabled but I do not get the option on the drop down menu, but that is obviously because I am in South Africa. Not sure where you are. The other day, just the one day, I got the option on all the books I downloaded that day, I tested the loan option and it worked perfectly. I am not sure why that day it worked. Also I download a lot of free books from a blog I found and they all say only available to the US but I can download them ok and other people here in South Africa are not able to ?? Not really sure how this all works.

Posted on May 21, 2012 6:03:39 AM PDT
Kiki says:
A handfull of books that I have tried. I also just learned that it is only 1 book per month with prime. I have the trial right now but if that's the case I don't think I'm going to continue with it since I can read a handfull of books a week

In reply to an earlier post on May 21, 2012 6:07:18 AM PDT
A. Dietz says:
Kiki, Amazon Prime is a free 2-day shipping program. The Kindle Owners' Lending Library and the streaming video were perks that were added later. If the only thing you want to do is borrow books, than you're right, the $79/year isn't going to be worth it to you.

In reply to an earlier post on May 21, 2012 6:07:44 AM PDT
Kiki, Prime is first and foremost a shipping program. It has been around for a while, long before Kindles ever entered the scene. It gives a member free 2-day shipping on many items sold on Amazon. The Prime Lending Library and video streaming were added recently as a new perk for Kindle owners. Deciding if the program is worth it depends on the individual person's buying habits. Most people agree that the Lending Library is not, by itself, worth paying for a Prime Membership.

It is meant to be an added perk, not the main reason to buy Prime.

In reply to an earlier post on May 21, 2012 6:08:51 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 21, 2012 6:09:19 AM PDT
Don't confuse "Lending" (my Kindle to a friend's Kindle) with Prime Borrowing (Kindle Owners' Lending Library). They are completely unconnected.

The KOLL is in no way a reason to sign up for Prime; it's a save-$-on-shipping program that's been around for years. They just added a "Hey! Free book a month if you own a Kindle!" as a little extra perk.

The main reason to get Prime would be if you have a lot of *physical* products shipped to your home. So no, Prime is not for you if you're in it for the books.

ETA: I see others' made the same point. :0)

Posted on May 23, 2012 8:23:24 PM PDT
Kiki says:
Yeah I usually dont order stuff other than the books but I get those delivered directly to my kindle or other devices. How does the kindle owner library work? Is that unlimited?

In reply to an earlier post on May 23, 2012 8:43:37 PM PDT
A. Dietz says:
The Kindle Owners' Lending Library allows you to borrow one book per calendar month, and the process has to be initiated from an actual Kindle device, not a PC or an app.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Kindle forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Announcement
News: Kindle for iOS Software Update 4.6
0 2 days ago
Announcement
Simon & Schuster Agreement
0 Oct 20, 2014
Announcement
Have a Kindle Question?
0 Sep 12, 2012
Al's Place 35mm 5260 54 seconds ago
returning an unlimited book 0 1 minute ago
We're an International Quirky Bunch! Home of Manic Gardens, Roof Possums, Goat Spanx, Flailing Yahoos and So Geese! And Cherie! 4585 5 minutes ago
payment by net-banking 0 7 minutes ago
is there an app for that? 5276 13 minutes ago
Amazon Echo 730 14 minutes ago
Grief 50 32 minutes ago
Fire stick drops network connection 139 33 minutes ago
traveling to India 2 42 minutes ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  8
Total posts:  18
Initial post:  Apr 22, 2012
Latest post:  May 23, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions