Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

My Kindle Fire won't charge

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 314 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 20, 2012 12:55:08 PM PST
Kennan says:
I've had my Kindle Fire charging since this morning at around nine and have checked it once or twice because for a day or two it has been charging for a little while and then the light will shut off and I have to re-charge because it only charged to 10% or so. Well, it hasn't charged at all today. The light is orange which makes me think it is charging but then I try turning it on, only to find it beep and shut off. I don't have a warranty either and can't afford a new one. Now, its only been two days. What should I do, still?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 20, 2012 12:57:20 PM PST
I would contact Kindle Customer Service. Use the "help" link on the top of this page, and then the "Contact Us" button on the right on that page. The "Call Me" or "Chat" options work best.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 20, 2012 1:04:41 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 20, 2012 1:06:30 PM PST
Is this the first generation Kindle Fire? I had problems with it charging and it was determined it was caused by the Fire's loose or damaged usb port (where you plug the charging cord into) I was sent a replacement, but then mine was definitely under warranty still when mine had this problem.

I recommend contacting Customer Service; they will talk you through a few steps to see if the problem can be resolved (such as a hard reset) or perhaps they can have a replacement Fire sent to you, or a refurbished one sent for a discounted price if it is definitely out of warranty. Can't hurt to try, anyway.

Good luck

Contact Support link:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/contact-us/

Posted on Nov 20, 2012 1:13:47 PM PST
carole says:
I have not been able to charge my kindle fire without holding the charger in. It seems like the port is loose. It has been like this for 3 months and the kindle is only six months old.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 20, 2012 1:14:25 PM PST
I had that same problem happen to my first 2 Fires, which were both replaced by Amazon. While I was waiting on #3, I found this thread:

http://www.amazon.com/forum/kindle/ref=cm_cd_search_res_ti?_encoding=UTF8&cdForum=Fx1D7SY3BVSESG&cdPage=1&cdSort=oldest&cdThread=Tx3BVTWI4W8QESI#Mx1J5J4ZCIKGFW7

It seems in my case, it was the battery meter problem, and not the port at all. The ports on #1 & #2 got sloppy because I was constantly messing with it, TRYING to get it to charge. Propping it, wiggling it, etc...

Fire #3 has not had the wiggly port problem, because I haven't had to jam it around trying to get the orange light to come on ... because I figured out the battery meter issue.

Good luck!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 20, 2012 1:14:40 PM PST
Carole - Contact Kindle Customer Service. They will likely replace your kindle fire for you.

Posted on Nov 20, 2012 1:19:51 PM PST
"Carole - Contact Kindle Customer Service."

Say that ten times real fast.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 20, 2012 1:22:21 PM PST
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 16, 2012 10:13:32 AM PST
vicky says:
I went into Best Buy with the exact same problem, the lady told me ot was the loose charger port/ usb hole. She said repairment costs about as much as a new Kindle would. If you still have the 30-day protection that comes with it, you can still return/ exchange it. For me, this problem started about 11 months after the purchase and I'm just going to get a new one.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 21, 2012 1:54:57 PM PST
ERNTravels says:
I definitely advise contacting Amazon using the CONTACT US on their web page. I was having a similar problem with a Fire I bought last May. The charging was very, very fussy. Sometimes, it would appear that I had to wiggle the cable to get the Kindle connection in just the right place. It was also clear that it would NOT charge at the same time I was on the web and the charge was depleting very rapidly.
1) I determined that it was not the cable by using the cable on a regular Kindle and seeing that the regular (1st gen) Kindle charged. You probably have a similar device (cell phone) etc.
2) I determined that it was not the wall outlet I was using for the Kindle Fire by testing the connection in different wall outlets.
3) I determined that I could not even charge the kindle by connecting it via USB to my laptop or desktop.
The Amazon person was VERY helpful and guided me through the instructions to return the Kindle Fire with the charger cable. I printed out the UPS lable, found a box, took it to UPS the next day. My replacement Kindle Fire arrived ahead of schedule and I am now downloading my library.
This problem seems to occur frequently enough since the Kindle Fire was available that it is important to make sure Amazon knows about and solves the problem.
Hope this helps.
Elizabeth

Posted on Dec 25, 2012 8:34:20 AM PST
Miller says:
My son's Kindle Fire won't charge either. I talked with customer service and none of the trouble shooting worked. I was told our Kindle was one week out of a one year warranty and I would have to buy a new one at a discounted price. The discounted price was a joke. I have seen it priced for less at other stores and in a lightning deal. I am very disappointed with Amazon's customer service. They will not stand behind their product even though this is obviously a well known problem. I will not be purchasing another Kindle!

Posted on Dec 25, 2012 5:22:12 PM PST
L. Mageau says:
I've been having that problem for a while now. Yet it works when it's plugged it to the charger but when i unplug it, it gives me the low battery message. I've gotten it replaced 3 times and they all had the same problem. I've contacted customer service and everything they told me to do didnt help one bit. I have no clue what i can do to fix it. Any help?

Posted on Dec 25, 2012 5:34:55 PM PST
Ashford says:
I received my kindle fire last Christmas. It died in January. Amazon replaced it and that one lasted two months. I had
to send it back. It would freeze and would not turn off or on. Now the problem you are talking about the
turning off not charging Jam having that problem. It is the port were the charger goes. This is a problem
amazon needs to work out after reading everyone comments. I know I am not along.
jd

Posted on Dec 25, 2012 6:57:17 PM PST
[Deleted by the author on Dec 25, 2012 6:58:03 PM PST]

Posted on Dec 26, 2012 4:35:21 AM PST
cdoleshal says:
Mine is only 2 months old. In the first month I had it, it would freeze and I couldn't do anything, had to read the "book" to figure out the freezing problem (It had to be reset). Now it isn't charging, after reading all the comments I am nervous, my daughter purchased mine in her name on her account. I loved it so much I paid top Amazon price for 3 more for Christmas presents, and now to hear this is really disappointing, I can simply not afford another one now that I have no job! I hope they figure out this problem, sure sucks to see everyone else on their Kindles when I can no longer use mine!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 26, 2012 6:17:03 AM PST
jsh1120 says:
Contact Kindle CS again. Amazon handles replacement of devices out of warranty on a case by case basis but if you have a "loose port" issue on the first generation Kindle Fire, Amazon will replace it free of charge. Period.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 26, 2012 6:22:11 AM PST
Miller says:
Not true, as I state above my son's Kindle Fire was one week out of a one year warranty and we can't charge it because of a loose port. They will not replace it. I have talked with three different Amazon employees and was told we would have to buy a new one for 140.00.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 26, 2012 6:31:30 AM PST
jsh1120 says:
If that is the case you are the ONLY poster to make that claim compared to hundreds of others who have had a different experience. I would suggest you try again during west coast business hours.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 26, 2012 6:58:46 AM PST
Miller says:
Here is a copy of one of the emails i have received from them. I will try to call them back one more time this afternoon.

Sent: Monday, December 24, 2012 4:20:34 PM
Subject: Your Amazon.com Kindle Inquiry

Hello,

Please accept my heartfelt apologies for all the trouble you've had to go through with your Kindle.

It looks like your Kindle is no longer covered by the One-Year Limited Warranty.

You can read the full text about Kindle's warranty here:

http://www.amazon.com/kindlewarranty

Since your Kindle is already out of warranty, we really can't offer you a replacement Kindle for free as per our strict policy.

As what my colleague previously mentioned, we're only able to offer a replacement at a reduced price.

I realize that this has caused utter disappointment on your part. To say that this is an inconvenience would be a complete understatement.

Due to your experience, I've escalated this issue to my supervisor so that my supervisor can contact the appropriate department so that problems like this will be avoided in future Kindles - if not totally eradicated. Strong customer feedback such as yours plays an integral part in our quest to provide the best possible service.

Although I know that my words are not enough to appease your disappointment, I do hope that I have been of help somehow. Should you require any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to contact us.

We have team of experts who takes into consideration each and every feedback of our customers and brings them into practice.

In addition to our large selection, one of the benefits we try very hard to offer our customers is convenience. I'm very sorry for the inconvenience you experienced in this case.

Hoping for your understanding at this time.

We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Thank you for your inquiry. Did I solve your problem?

If yes, please click here:

If no, please click here:

Mariecris B.

Amazon.com
Your feedback is helping us build Earth's Most Customer-Centric Company.
To manage your Kindle and content online, visit:
http://www.amazon.com/cs/manageyourkindle

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 26, 2012 7:08:44 AM PST
jsh1120 says:
Miller,

It's not clear if you're trying to deal with Kindle CS via email, but if you are, stop. Deal directly with a support tech on the phone. If that is not possible, use the "chat" feature. And be absolutely sure you are talking to Kindle Customer Support, not the more general Amazon Customer Support.

In fact, the "strict policy" cited in the email above is not a "strict policy" at all. Out of warranty issues are handled "on a case by case basis." (That is a quote from an Amazon official.) In the holiday season it's not surprising that you'd encounter this kind of response, probably from an inexperienced CS person, but don't give up.

When you speak to Kindle CS be sure to make clear that you have a "loose charge port" problem and that you know it is a widespread, recognized problem that Amazon is dealing with by replacing the first gen Kindle Fire with replacements even after a warranty has expired.

If you're still unsuccessful, post back on this thread. I'll investigate to the extent that I can through some other channels. In the one case I'm aware of where this issue came up, Amazon rectified the situation promptly.

Good luck.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 26, 2012 7:23:58 AM PST
Miller says:
Thank you for all your good information. I will try to call again today and hope for a better response. I will post back the results. Thanks.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 26, 2012 7:42:01 AM PST
Is this a problem with all the kindle fires? Including the kindle fire HD?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 26, 2012 7:58:49 AM PST
jsh1120 says:
Patrick,

The "loose port" issue on the first gen KF increased over the course of the first year. Many (undoubtedly the great majority of users) have never encountered the problem. (I have not, for example.) However, it is clear that it affected more than a few isolated cases. My feeling about the issue (having tracked it for nearly a year) is that it came about from a combination of factors: a cheap, fragile combo charger/cable supplied with the first gen KF that tended to overheat and deform the (also cheap) port in the first gen KF; a practice of using the KF while it was being charged that placed additional stress on the connection when the KF was moved around; and trying to insert the microUSB plug (cheap, remember?) into the microUSB port (again, cheap) upside down. (It's easy to do.)

The good news is that I've not seen even a single similar complaint about the second generation Kindle Fires. The combo charger/cable is no longer included (Thank God) . It appears that the microUSB port has been strengthened (I'm sure of that is the case with the KFHD. I don't have a second gen KF but I believe it's true of that model, as well.)

So the bottom line is that I don't think you have to worry about this issue with the KFHD. Having said that, however, I should also mention that a seeming inability to charge does not stem ONLY from a loose port. Much more common, in fact, are cases where a KF simply freezes or seems not to charge because the battery monitor and the battery are "out of sync." This is a common problem with android devices and lithium ion batteries. The problem can be rectified easily by rebooting the KF and "calibrating" the battery properly.

In that case, downloading "Battery HD" and using the battery calibration tool it provides combined with occasionally rebooting the KF resolves the problem when it does NOT come from a hardware (i.e. loose port) failure.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 26, 2012 5:17:56 PM PST
Miller says:
It worked!!! I called Kindle support this afternoon and immediately asked to speak with someone on the west coast or a supervisor. The guy that answered the phone asked if he could try to help me first. I explained our situation and he looked up the notes. He came back on the line and told me they would make an exception and give me a free replacement. I just got an email invoice for a free Kindle Fire! Thank you so much for your help. I would have gave up if not for your posts. I had called them once and emailed twice to no avail. My son will be thrilled. Thank you again!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 26, 2012 5:40:17 PM PST
jsh1120 says:
Miller,

Very happy to hear your news. Especially now in the midst of the big retail season Kindle CS is being staffed with many new and inexperienced folks. Having been on the other side of the customer support scenario, I can understand (and you probably can, too) that the default position for out-of-warranty replacements is "no way," especially for an inexperienced employee. Nobody gets fired for not making an exception. :)

My experience with Amazon is that it sometimes requires some diligence (and politeness) to get past the script a first tier support person is given. But over the years I've literally never had a case that wasn't resolved to my satisfaction. And of all the companies I've ever dealt with, I think Amazon might be the only one in that category.

Happy Holidays to you and yours. Enjoy your new KF and pay it forward by helping others when you have a chance.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 13 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Kindle forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Announcement
NEWS: Kindle for iOS Software Update 4.5
23 8 hours ago
Announcement
Update re: Amazon/Hachette Business Interruption
0 Jul 29, 2014
Announcement
Hachette/Amazon Business Interruption
0 May 27, 2014
Announcement
Have a Kindle Question?
0 Sep 12, 2012
Student Upgrading From Kindle 2 6 1 minute ago
Freebie Books - Links Only - No Self Promotion III 4949 3 minutes ago
Won't buy new e-reader until I can listen to audiobooks 6 5 minutes ago
kindle paperwhite settings 12 9 minutes ago
book not down loading 2 15 minutes ago
Discounted / Price Dropped Kindle eBooks III 3385 15 minutes ago
Higlighting Reading 2 18 minutes ago
Broken kindle screen 220 29 minutes ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  183
Total posts:  314
Initial post:  Nov 20, 2012
Latest post:  6 days ago

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 68 customers

Search Customer Discussions