Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

Don't have Wi-Fi, can I download from my computer to Kindle Fire?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-14 of 14 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Sep 29, 2011 8:29:44 AM PDT
Trina Lawry says:
I don't have WiFi, can I hook the new Kindle Fire up to my computer and download from the web that way?

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 29, 2011 8:31:22 AM PDT
Yes, via a USB cable. The Fire has a micro USB slot.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 29, 2011 8:36:18 AM PDT
If you're talking about downloading Kindle books from your Amazon account to your Fire, then yes, you can download all of your purchased content from your Kindle account to your computer, and then transfer it to your Fire via USB connection. As for using the Fire for any of its other intended purposes, without wifi, the Fire won't be of much use to you, at least from my perspective. If the Fire works anything at all like Amazon's App on an Android cell phone device, any Android apps that you purchase through Amazon for your Fire won't work unless you are signed into your Amazon account, and your device is connected to (via 3G or wifi) the web.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 29, 2011 8:38:57 AM PDT
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 29, 2011 8:48:52 AM PDT
Trina Lawry says:
wow - aren't you a kind soul. Do you also kick your dog when you come home from work? I asked because I thought some Kindle employees might be checking this site out and answering questions. You need to chill.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 29, 2011 8:50:57 AM PDT
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

Posted on Sep 29, 2011 8:52:17 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 29, 2011 8:53:13 AM PDT
John Newton says:
I agree with Bryan. The Fire seems to be fairly dependant on the cloud and streaming content which means you'll need an active connection to really get full use out of it. If you just want a device for reading you'll probably be better off with and eInk device. If you need cell connectivity you could use a wifi hotspot device along with the Fire.

Posted on Sep 30, 2011 12:23:34 AM PDT
Lindy Wise says:
What do you think will be a really great wifi hotspot for the Kindle Fire? I am using the Virgin Mobile wifi hotspot right now for my pc and it is really great. But the Fire that I bought is a Christmas gift for an older lady and I am looking for feedback.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 30, 2011 4:58:38 AM PDT
Mary McManus says:
Lindy: Most of the mobile hot spots have a limit of 5 gigs a month or thereabouts and the monthly fee is kind of pricey. Since almost everything would be streaming, it would use up the data plan pretty fast and overage charges are very expensive. It is easy enough to keep within those limitations from a PC or Mac, but would be harder with the Fire whose browser will be sucking more bandwidth.

Posted on Oct 18, 2011 1:36:13 PM PDT
Bill Wiseman says:
can i download books at a hot spot and then read at home where i dont have a computer or a wi fi connection?

Posted on Oct 18, 2011 1:38:58 PM PDT
Bill Wiseman says:
can i download books at a hot spot and then read at home where i dont have a computer or a wi fi connection?

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 18, 2011 1:39:17 PM PDT
Yes. Once the book is on the device, you don't need any kind of connection to read it.

Posted on Oct 18, 2011 1:56:40 PM PDT
GoldDove says:
I think you'd be fine doing it that way with books. However, if she plans to watch movies or video, I read that the internal storage is not large enough to hold most movies, and they would normally be watched via streaming.

Posted on Mar 8, 2012 9:29:03 PM PST
Amazon should allow Prime members to borrow books from the lending library via computer connection, especially because we can return them that way. I'm deployed right now and cannot access wi fi to take advantage of the lending library.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Kindle forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Announcement
NEWS: New Update for Kindle Reading Apps on Android and iOS
75 20 hours ago
Announcement
Hachette/Amazon Business Interruption
0 May 27, 2014
Announcement
Have a Kindle Question?
0 Sep 12, 2012
Kindle Fire 0 3 seconds ago
FB&C--Free Books and Chat--Thursday July 10, 2014 42 10 seconds ago
Kindle Fire Repair - 95 7 minutes ago
KINDLE KITCHEN #4: Home of Family, Friends and Good Food! 1073 10 minutes ago
Canceling "Free Time Unlimited" 5 10 minutes ago
Dragi's Croatian Crab Shack and Wine Bar - The times they are a changin' 3120 11 minutes ago
We're an International Quirky Bunch! Put a Stelvin Closure on Your Tequila Arm and Prepare for the Apocalypse! Grab the Midnight Goats, Orange Loving Cows, Cat and Dog Overlords of the Universe, Plus Cherie! So Geese! 9103 14 minutes ago
Dishanywhere 1 17 minutes ago
Can Only Borrow 1 Book a Month 241 19 minutes ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  11
Total posts:  14
Initial post:  Sep 29, 2011
Latest post:  Mar 8, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 3 customers

Search Customer Discussions