Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

FREE Books - Monday, February 20, 2012

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 226-250 of 310 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Feb 20, 2012 5:39:29 PM PST
Stillwood says:
RD Johnson - I agree that I like the repetitive postings. Multiple picks do indicate something. That is how I decided to try the Bo Bradely book by Abigal Padgett a day or so ago - it kept cropping up. I got it, read it, and am now buying the later books by Padgett (just like this system is supposed to work - get us interested and we will spend). So please don't anyone think theie posting is wasted!.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 20, 2012 5:40:30 PM PST
Grandma says:
D. Thomson, if you are going to try to grow rhubarb in North Carolina, then you need to hunt around and find a spot that will be in mostly full sun early in the spring but as hotter weather approaches is perhaps shaded by trees that have leafed out.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 20, 2012 5:42:35 PM PST
Sheila (NJ) says:
Is any one else having an issue with ordering The 500: A Novel? It is asking me for my password when I try to order it, it usually only does that when they are charging me for the book, the free books never require me to enter a password.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 20, 2012 5:46:18 PM PST
tweet says:
Grandma, I think you may be right. LOL, I wonder how a patch of Rhubarb would look in the front of the house instead of the back? At least then it would get morning sun instead of the afternoon sun, which can be brutal in the summer. Hummm, or maybe down by the barn....but then I'd worry about the chickens eating the leaves.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 20, 2012 5:46:51 PM PST
Do you have a credit card on file, Sheila?
They use credit cards to determine where you live and such but do not charge it.
My pre-order went through with a zero charge.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 20, 2012 5:49:36 PM PST
Sheila (NJ) says:
I do have a couple on file, I was just afraid to continue because the free books don't usually require me to enter my password. I was afraid that if I ordered it, it would charge me for it when it delivers it in June - I don't want to pay $25 for an e-book KWIM? Thanks for letting me know you didn't get charged.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 20, 2012 5:58:14 PM PST
WYRenegade says:
@Cinder
Cookbook thread?! Do tell :) I am definitely missing out.

Posted on Feb 20, 2012 5:58:31 PM PST
Josie says:
When I am looking for books, I like when the genre of the book is given. The descriptions are all right, but since I can just click on the book and read them myself, if the person posting the books doesn't want to do that, I am fine with that. I do like it when titles are repeated; like others have noted, I might be more apt to look at a book if I see it listed many times.

I am usually just a lurker here, getting my fill of free books; I really appreciate the work so many of you do to make these lists available to me! Thank you all!

In regard to rhubarb, which I love, my aunt has had a patch from which we have gotten rhubarb each spring for 50 years, so I guess something is working for her, even though she doesn't do anything to it!

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 20, 2012 5:59:58 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 20, 2012 6:03:47 PM PST
Grandma says:
Personally, I don't care too terribly much about how things look. My standard outdoor decorations these days are huge pots of herbs, hanging baskets of cherry and grape tomatoes in various colors and most recently, big pots of cilantro, lettuce/mesclun and ginger. Those last are interesting, kind of pretty and very nice to have on hand. For the cilanro/mesclun I just got some pretty big bright yellow pots for about $2 each at Walmart, filled them with potting soil,then sprinkled seed over the top - 1 pack per pot, a bit thinner on the lettuce because there is more seed. Cover with a little bit of dirt - 1/4 inch maybe - and wait for them to sprout. When your mesclun is about 2 inches high you can cut the top 1.5 inches off or you can thin it out to allow the stuff you leave behind to grow a bit bigger. Or both. Start using your cilantro when it gets to be about 6 inches high.

Ginger seems to be a member of the lily or iris family - grows from a tuber, which is what those ginger roots really are. You can plant segments about an inch deep and it will grow you new ginger. If you're lucky it will even flower. I didn't get flowers - we have too short a growing season here - but I did get a small harvest of excellent baby ginger from the odds and ends of ginger starting to dry up or sprout I had around.

I don't think chix will eat the leaves of your rhubarb. Those are poisonous if consumed and animals tend to be aware of that sort of thing naturally.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 20, 2012 6:00:54 PM PST
Grandma says:
I did not have that problem Sheila .

Posted on Feb 20, 2012 6:05:32 PM PST
Finally got to go through the big list and found a few:

John Lennon Biography: The Music, The Magic & The Murder

30 Delicious No-Bake Icebox Cookie Recipes

That First Strike

Stuff the Prez Did: Summary of President Obama's First Term Accomplishments

Brunching on Bialys, Blini and Blintzes: Delicious and Easy Bialys, Blini and Blintz Recipes (Easy Ethnic Dishes Book 3)

ROCK AND ROLL- 300 QUESTIONS TO CHALLENGE ONE'S KNOWLEDGE!

Shots

I hope everybody is having a great day. Keep on one clicking!

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 20, 2012 6:07:33 PM PST
Grandma says:
@WYRenegade - I'm fairly sure that Cinder is referring to the thread called Stolen Cookbooks and other Rotten Apples
http://www.amazon.com/forum/kindle/ref=cm_cd_rvt_np?_encoding=UTF8&cdForum=Fx1D7SY3BVSESG&cdPage=28&cdThread=Tx1A9IFRPKFGN1D#CustomerDiscussionsNew

The good cookbooks tend to get posted here. They also happen to be my specialty (own over 600 paper cookbooks), so I do try to go through most of the days offerings other than the diet cookbooks and eventually post my Picks and Pans, which I also usually review.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 20, 2012 6:08:39 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 20, 2012 6:16:43 PM PST
Cinder says:
WYRenegade, there are actually a couple threads, "Stolen Cookbooks" is for the questionable book issues. Also, Joyce & Annie have a wonderful recipe thread.

ETA (runs to find links).

(here is page 1 of Stolen Cookbooks)
http://www.amazon.com/forum/kindle/ref=cm_cd_pg_pg1?_encoding=UTF8&cdForum=Fx1D7SY3BVSESG&cdPage=1&cdSort=oldest&cdThread=Tx1A9IFRPKFGN1D

~whew~ (had to dig a bit for the recipes)
http://www.amazon.com/forum/kindle/ref=cm_cd_tfp_ef_tft_tp?_encoding=UTF8&cdForum=Fx1D7SY3BVSESG&cdThread=Tx34N9AGX73BT53

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 20, 2012 6:08:54 PM PST
My chickens didn't eat the rhubarb when they were able to get at it.
They might dig it up, however, so while it's little you'll want to keep them out of it.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 20, 2012 6:22:46 PM PST
Hi Avi-
I am sure you are still working too hard.
I almost clicked on the Rock and Roll link and then decided I did not want to know if the authors thought I was too old. - lol

Hope you have a good evening.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 20, 2012 6:24:08 PM PST
tweet says:
I'm glad to hear that. Just realized I may have the perfect place to try again, on the front side of the barn I have a big plum tree that would shade the plants. Best of all it's fenced so I can keep the critters out! Now if I can find some reasonably priced little rhubs, I'll be good to go. Think the last ones I got were almost $10 for each container.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 20, 2012 6:29:16 PM PST
Hi Nospin,

I looked inside the book at the first few questions and answers and decided it could be a worthwhile addition. I am always afraid that if I don't get a book for free, later it will have a price tag on it. Besides If I don't want a book after downloading it.....Just send it to the trash can and no money lost.

Work is busy and I find that I tire more easily these days. When the first digit of your age is a 7 it is getting time to retire. Want to enjoy my final years.

Hope your evening is good also. Oh to be a youngster like you....take care of yourself.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 20, 2012 6:37:23 PM PST
I could not in any way keep up with you, sir!

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 20, 2012 6:39:27 PM PST
Cinder says:
D. Thomson, it does sound like your rhubarb got too hot. East side of the house would probably be good. I didn't have any problems with the chickens or turkeys eating the leaves. One day an (can't write that) left the gate open, and the sheep and cows did manage to mow it down. It did grow back, and didn't seem to cause any apparent side effects.

Posted on Feb 20, 2012 6:42:38 PM PST
Angel's Mum says:
Did anyone else notice that ALL of the reviews (5) for John Lennon: The Music, The Magic & The Murder were posted yesterday...coincidence?

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 20, 2012 6:45:15 PM PST
Generally when 5 five star reviews are posted on the same day, it is a good bet that money or other favors changed hands.

Posted on Feb 20, 2012 6:48:26 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 20, 2012 6:51:53 PM PST
ni says:
Wait, am I to believe that the pre-order for The 500 is actually free? I thought it was a little strange that they asked me to verify my credit card, but I saw that I didn't get charged. But then again, I always sort of thought that when you preorder items, you don't get charged until the item is shipped. So there is a really big chance that we'll get charged come June 5th.

Come to think of it.. why is it even free in the first place? It must be a mistake.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 20, 2012 6:51:26 PM PST
Angel's Mum says:
I also just noticed that this book: ASIN:B0073VDKZG Michael Jackson...Sex, Drugs and Rock & Roll: The Shocking Truth About the Man Behind The Legend]] is by the same author and also free. It has seven reviews, 4 of which are on the same date, and 1 the date after...fortunately there are a couple of real reviews as well. Had to happen eventually, right :)

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 20, 2012 6:53:25 PM PST
Angel's Mum says:
ni,
Not to worry...I have pre-ordered free books before and never been charged for them...you might notice, however, if you check in a few days/weeks, that the book is no longer free..but you still get it at the price you ordered it at $0.00!
It's a matter of timing...and luck! Just enjoy!

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 20, 2012 6:53:35 PM PST
Nospin,

Knowing that this is my last tax season helps a little. And a slight correction to your post. My dad was "Sir". I am just plain Avi or Larry.

Catch you a little later.
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  83
Total posts:  310
Initial post:  Feb 20, 2012
Latest post:  Feb 21, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 11 customers

Search Customer Discussions