Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

Announcement

Kindle Software Update Version 4.1.0

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 226-250 of 545 posts in this discussion
Posted on Jun 15, 2012 6:01:32 AM PDT
Well, I suffered to put this update on! But I have to admit, once I'm a Manga and comics avid reader, that the contrast really had an increase! I could really tell reading my comics! About the other updates, like the wifi change and the parental control, they make no difference at all, and I already had a collection to dictionaries, so... It's ok!
The only thing I don't understand is the airplane on the top of the screen! Wa'th'hell! Is it a Kindle or a cell phone?
But considering everything, the kindle continues to let me amazed!

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 15, 2012 6:18:46 AM PDT
The airplane shows the Kindle is in "airplane mode", meaning the wireless is off.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 15, 2012 6:39:56 AM PDT
Yes I understand that! But I see no sense a all... hahaha! :) They could have changed the location of the wifi, but I don't see any need of that cute airplane up there!

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 15, 2012 7:37:51 AM PDT
Craig says:
I travel a lot, and whether or not you get a hard time using electronics on board a plane depends on the flight crew. Just last week I was asked if my Kindle Touch was in "airplane mode" as I was reading during the flight when electronics were permitted. I replied "yes" and the flight attendant was happy with that, but I could easily see a flight attendant looking for the "little airplane" that she's used to seeing on iPhones, iPads, and other phone/tablets. In this case, I think conformity will save me hassle in the future. -Craig

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 15, 2012 8:22:35 AM PDT
Oh Ok, Dumb Me! I don't travel so much and never have been on a plane! hahaha! Now I see the use of the picture! :)

Posted on Jun 15, 2012 9:21:20 AM PDT
Jane Smith says:
I want my old kindle reading app back.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 15, 2012 9:28:21 AM PDT
Jane, do you have a question? This thread is about an update for the Basic Model Kindle.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 15, 2012 9:38:46 AM PDT
Me too

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 16, 2012 10:12:30 AM PDT
I downloaded the update. I appreciate your concern about the length of the menu and making it shorter. However, I feel that in so doing you have succeeded in making it more complicated and confusing, especially for older users. The option to turn WiFi on and off used to appear at the top of the menu. Now we have scroll down to Settings and that option does not appear on the menu at all times. That means we have remember to press Home first and then Menu. Personally, I would prefer to have it back the way was!

I tried the enhancement to images and tables on a book I have on my Kindle. The title is "Learn to Program with Visual Basic 2010 Express (Learn To Program with Professor Smiley)". Maybe it is too old to use the updated software but I could not get the panning or zoom to work properly. Please let me know if I need to update my ebook download or do something else.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 16, 2012 1:40:47 PM PDT
CBRetriever says:
you might want to forward your suggestions on to amazon itself (while these forums are on amazon and occasionally a real life amazon representative will make an appearance, your're mostly speaking to other kindle users)

some of the older books aren't formatted properly for the new zoom features

Posted on Jun 16, 2012 3:32:50 PM PDT
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

Posted on Jun 16, 2012 3:39:47 PM PDT
Ok, now I've converted a CBZ file to AZW3 using calibre and could see the panel view! It's really cool for seeing comics, but, was it me, or we still have to aply zoom in each page? Because if we do, I prefer to convert my comics and mangas in the old way (unfortunately)...

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 16, 2012 5:11:24 PM PDT
Share does not mean share the book - it just means share what you think about it. That's in case you like to use Facebook or Twitter to tell people what you're reading and what you thought of it.

Moving a book to archives is actually easier on the Touch. Just long-press on it and select "Remove from device" or "Move to archives", whichever you see. It's always the bottom item on the list.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 17, 2012 2:19:19 AM PDT
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 17, 2012 4:35:33 AM PDT
This thread is not about the kindle reading app.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 17, 2012 6:34:10 AM PDT
If you are saying that all the foreign dictionaries which have been added to Kindle are supposed to be moved to the Dictionaries Collection, I will have to say that I haven't seen that happen on my Kindle. Maybe there is a delay in getting them moved but so far they are still only listed in with the other books.

Actually, I wish that a Collection mode could be added in which only the collections are listed and the user could open the collection to see the contents. At the same time, I would like to see the collection names removed from the lists of books and only available in Collection mode. Am I being picky?

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 17, 2012 6:56:24 AM PDT
Regina says:
If you sort by collections, you'll see only the collections. I don't think it's possible to remove the collections from the list, perhaps if you sort by the author?

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 17, 2012 7:37:21 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 17, 2012 7:37:37 AM PDT
Suzanne - there's a whole thread about the update to the Android app, you should be posting this there where it will be seen by people who care. This thread is only being read by Kindle 4 users because it is about the Kindle 4 software update, which is entirely separate from the Android app update.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 17, 2012 9:02:33 AM PDT
CBRetriever says:
has the update been applied to your Basic Kindle? It put all of them in a collection for my two (you have to sort by collections to not see all your books on the home page)

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 17, 2012 11:35:54 AM PDT
I would like to see some way of moving groups of books into collections... from the amazon.com manage your kindle web page, then a way to apply the collection structure from that manage webpage to all devices associated with my account. The first thing I would do is move all my currently unread books into an unread collection and then move each book to the "read" collection when I've read it.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 17, 2012 12:46:27 PM PDT
CBRetriever says:
you can import the collections set up from one kindle to another

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 17, 2012 2:18:53 PM PDT
My wife would also like her old Kindle back. I bought her one of the originals when they first came out and she loved it until the screen died a few weeks ago. I bought her a new Basic Model and while she still loves using it to read, she's still trying to get used to the lack of a physical keyboard. She is also struggling with some changes that Amazon made to the menu structure. Apparently, they changed the menu selections that appear after you preview a book to default to (i.e. "trick" you to) buy the book. She has "accidentally" purchased 3 books now . . . and had to figure out how to return them. Good thing Amazon hasn't changed their return policy . . . yet.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 17, 2012 2:22:09 PM PDT
Amazon is never going to trick anyone into buying something. They wouldn't have such a liberal return policy if that was their goal. To make such an accusation without merit is ridiculous.

It sounds like your wife would be happier with the Kindle Keyboard.

Posted on Jun 17, 2012 2:27:56 PM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Jul 1, 2012 9:40:08 AM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 17, 2012 2:33:47 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 17, 2012 2:41:17 PM PDT
Q says:
Keith,
We had a Kindle 1 until a year ago. The purchase page has always had the opening curor line on "Buy" as the default. She could turn on the parental controls so that she can't buy anything without a password (as a prompt against accidental purchases. That's what I've done on my Fire.)

The purchase "Thank You" page now has "Did you buy this book by mistake?" on that purchase confirmation page. If your wife is watchful, it is very quick & easy to cancel a book order automatically from that page.

As well, during that first week, her "Managing Your Kindle" page has "Return this book" under the title's '"Action" list. Again, automated and easy.

I miss the keyboard on our K4 Basic as well, though I sure like the thinness and weight! (I also like the $79 we paid for the K4 Basic compared to the $360 we paid for the K1!)

But she might prefer the Kindle Keyboard (my wife prefers the white, if they can be found). Our KK gray has a Kindle skin on it to make the keyboard more readable. If her K4 Basic isn't over 30 days old, she can return it for a full refund.

‹ Previous 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... 22 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Kindle forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  160
Total posts:  545
Initial post:  Jun 4, 2012
Latest post:  Jan 18, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 30 customers

Search Customer Discussions