Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

Regrets on buying Kindle Fire? Suggestions for the next model??

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 226-250 of 464 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Nov 20, 2011 7:04:37 PM PST
baseverson says:
You can easily switch between apps with out the carousel by using the app menu instead.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 20, 2011 9:35:14 PM PST
B. Coleman says:
I totally agree with you on that. It would seem they would let us know what they do or what they are for. I would also, have like for them to tell us a bit more on how to use the kindle fire. The real information about it in manuel is very brief. It is sort of a hit and miss type of learning process. Like you said this forum is a real blessing. Plus, it is so, confusing as to what games can be used on the kindle fire. Not all kindle games can be used. Yes I did buy it to play games alot. I read and play games sorry if that offends anyone but, it is my money. I really thought I could play more games on it like I do on my smartphone atleast.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 20, 2011 9:36:05 PM PST
B. Coleman says:
I totally agree

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 20, 2011 9:48:42 PM PST
My power button is up on the top next to the usb plug. Don't like the speakers on the bottom though ;-)

It should have been a slider button, or a had lock out switch on the back that would only let it wake up the device and not turn it off.

If I could decide what shows up in the Carousel I might find it useful. Amazon really needs to tell us all what they were thinking because damned if I know how seeing a flood of everything is useful.

Posted on Nov 20, 2011 9:55:36 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 20, 2011 9:55:54 PM PST
Generoso says:
Update to my situation. (Connection would disconnect once a day for the first two days and wouldn't reconnect without rebooting the router.)

From nothing on my end, the Fire disconnected, then when I got home from work it connected again and stayed connected for more than 24 hours now. I did like the suggestion for updating my router's firmware before just simply buying a new router though. If the problem turns up again, that's definitely the first time I'm going to look into.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 20, 2011 10:09:31 PM PST
With the number of Fire's they have sold so far it would have been a couple of bucks to have put a microSD slot on it somewhere. They would more then make that up selling us all microSD cards.

Hardwarewise I would add a switch to lock out the power button or use a slider switch more like the Kindle Keyboard. Bluetooth so I could use it with wireless headsets. A front facing camera for chatting.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 20, 2011 10:23:49 PM PST
the skin I bought for my Kindle 2 does make it less slippery. It was from decalgirl.com

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 20, 2011 10:29:22 PM PST
when we were having all kinds of trouble with our internet signal a new router cleared everything up quickly. Nothing works for ever I guess.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 20, 2011 10:45:42 PM PST
salsaguy says:
B. Coleman - if you have your APK files from your smartphone you can transfer them to the Fire's HDD folder and then side load/install them using a USB-Micro USB cord to transfer files back and forth, or find the right APK files on the websites that have the Android apps available to download for free

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 20, 2011 10:47:34 PM PST
salsaguy says:
Carey - if you slightly press the power button it wakes it up or puts it to sleep. If you press and hold the power button it gives you the option to Shut it down/Turn it off completely. I havent really accidentally bumped the button on my Fire yet after 4 days

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 20, 2011 10:49:17 PM PST
salsaguy says:
Generose - I had the same issue. Seems the Fire's Wifi receiver is not as good as the one in my iPod or laptop which got 1 bar better reception.

I ended up getting a wifi extender and now my Fire and 2 other wifi devices are all happy and can get 3-4 bars all around the house. My wifi signal was not strong and so check into that for sure.

I paid $60-70 for the extender.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 20, 2011 10:59:09 PM PST
shadow says:
How do you change the page color? Not easily found like on my android.
:(

Posted on Nov 20, 2011 11:30:16 PM PST
salsaguy says:
Shadow - do you mean page colors when reading a book? if so which book reader? the Fires or another like Adilko?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 20, 2011 11:51:40 PM PST
I found that the screen rotates however I hold it, so if you want the power button on top, it's easily done.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 21, 2011 12:40:24 AM PST
In case you didn't notice the title of the thread, it asked for suggestions for the next version. Very few things are perfect; we generally have to make compromises in choosing the device with the best combination of features for us. There's nothing wrong with mentioning things that we'd like changed to make a product better for us.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 21, 2011 12:46:17 AM PST
Oddly enough, the Kindle 3 does have a microphone jack, but apparently nobody at Amazon ever figured out what to do with it ;)

From the user guide --
"Kindle Keyboard is built with a microphone jack. This feature is not yet enabled and is for future use."

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 21, 2011 6:05:07 AM PST
Turn the fire upside down. Software works fine that way, and then the power button is on "top".

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 21, 2011 9:46:32 AM PST
Salsaguy - When i hold the fire in my left hand it is no problem... I hold it along the edge. When i switch to my right hand I do am L with my thumb nd finger and it pits my thumb right on top of the button 9 times out of 10. How is the device supposed to "disappear in my hand" if I have to constantly think about not accidentally shutting it off?

It is just to touchy

Posted on Nov 21, 2011 9:51:01 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 21, 2011 9:52:10 AM PST
KindlePad says:
Responding to the OP here:

1. More storage options. 6.5gb is just too little space. I'd gladly have paid an extra $50 or $100 for more space.
2. A card slot, even a micro sd slot. My son's throw down freebie cell phone has a darned micro sd slot.
3. A better, easier UI. And make the carousel customize-able (hide purchases not on my fire, etc.)
4. Let me delete third party apps like Facebook, IMDB, etc. believe it or not some people don't want these apps.
5. Fix the lag and the non responsive buttons.

Amazon could have charged $300 for a version that had more storage and a card slot and the reviews would be very very different that what we're seeing.

Posted on Nov 21, 2011 10:55:57 AM PST
C. Turner says:
1. The Fire needs a method to categorize books, as earlier Kindles do. I use categories to separate unread from read, samples, and customary library subject groupings. Without categories, it's like going into a bookstore or library that doesn't have sections organized by subject.

2. Page numbers! I read many books that refer the reader to "see page number". The "location" function is no help.
These shortcomings should be correctable by software fixes.

Posted on Nov 21, 2011 11:04:49 AM PST
Generoso says:
For suggestions. My Top 5.

1) Volume Buttons. It could use more buttons than that, but volume buttons are the most needed.

2) More responsive software. Sometimes it takes a few presses for the kindle the register what I'm doing. But this is so obvious there's no doubt they're working on that this very moment.

3) Vertical and horizontal locking while scrolling. While using the internet, when you scroll down, most likely don't don't also want to scroll left and right, and vice versa.

4) Editable carousel. Enough people have mentioned this.

5) Rotation lock button, and/or a programmable button you could use to assign Rotation Lock, Home, or Back, or other. Rotation Lock is something I use often and it's inconvenient having to go into the menus to access it.

Posted on Nov 21, 2011 12:03:51 PM PST
software to allow a micro usb keyboard pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeease!

I'd also like to be able to use the search, copy , auto bookmark functions etc on pdf docs that are allowed on the books.

Posted on Nov 21, 2011 12:56:46 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 21, 2011 1:03:11 PM PST
Lindsey Ray says:
1) It needs to be able to lock in portrait mode ... ETA: NEVERMIND, I found you CAN lock the orientation.

2) Never dreamed I wouldn't be able to sort books. No need for Dewey Decimal, but come on! Alpha by author, subject, read, unread, etc...

3) Buttons are unresponsive. Need to really punch the screen. Yet, sometimes, the heat of just hovering activates a key.

4) In Kindle store, be able to refine by year published -- FROM OLDEST TO NEWEST. I'm trying to fill in my collection of older books, but I have to page through countless pages in the category to get to the older ones. OR AT LEAST add a "go to last page" key so I can search backward.

5) Since #1, above, went away, here's another: Would like page numbers on books.

That is all. I AM enjoying my Kindle Fire. :-)

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 21, 2011 1:21:51 PM PST
M. D. Fuquea says:
You are absolutely correct!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 21, 2011 2:52:06 PM PST
shadow says:
Yes .. but I was tired when I sent this, and tried everything EXCEPT the font.. where the page color option is. :{ Found it. Thanks though!
‹ Previous 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... 19 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Kindle forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Announcement
Welcome to the Kindle Discussion Forum - A Congregation of Kindle Enthusiasts
0 Mar 20, 2015
Announcement
Meet other story lovers at Write On by Kindle
60 5 days ago
Announcement
Enjoy your print books and personal documents on your Kindle with Kindle Convert.
0 Feb 2, 2015
Placing new order 6 3 minutes ago
Dragi's Croatian Crab Shack and Wine Bar - The times they are a changin' 7519 4 minutes ago
We're So Quirky, Our Chihuahuas Ride Bicycles! So Geese and Tally Ho! 8273 6 minutes ago
BAAA© Amazing Kindle Books and Helpful Tips #3 3211 13 minutes ago
Amazon Echo 4983 17 minutes ago
May Informal Poll--What are you reading 349 19 minutes ago
forgot password for parent controls 145 21 minutes ago
Fire stick drops network connection 780 24 minutes ago
Transfer ebook from Kindle Fire back to Cloud 8 25 minutes ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  268
Total posts:  464
Initial post:  Nov 17, 2011
Latest post:  Nov 15, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 32 customers

Search Customer Discussions