Automotive Holiday Deals Books Gift Guide Books Gift Guide Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_plcc_6M_fly_beacon Adele egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Beauty Deals Martha Stewart American Made Amazon Gift Card Offer minions minions minions  Amazon Echo Starting at $84.99 Kindle Black Friday Deals BestoftheYear Shop Now HTL
Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

FREE Books and Chat - Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 251-275 of 297 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on May 15, 2012 7:01:21 PM PDT
dharts says:
I should remind everyone, you don't repeat DO NOT get the same selection of movies from the Netflix streaming as you get in DVDs. The DVD subscription has a lot more movies and a lot more new movies. And you now have to pay a separate fee for the two types of Netflix subscriptions if you want both DVDs and streaming. So you may or may not want to dump your cable or satellite tv for what's available now via streaming.

Posted on May 15, 2012 7:05:33 PM PDT
I met my husband on a double date. I was dating B, B's car broke down. He called to ask if I minded if his friend, Jim, and Jim's girlfriend, J, gave us a ride to the party....

We'll be married 30 years on the 22, in 7 days. :)

We've survived hurricanes, navy life, moving every few years, extreme poverty before he joined the navy, health issues, now... if we can only survive home improvements! hah

In reply to an earlier post on May 15, 2012 7:08:59 PM PDT
MamaSylvia says:
The pharmacies here have had the vaccine for a few years, but it could also be a case of "to the man with a hammer, everything looks like a nail." Once you've gone through something, you're much more aware of it around you.

Posted on May 15, 2012 7:11:41 PM PDT
N. Podaci says:
i'm typing on my k fire so please forgive any typos.
The Roku would be perfect for you! Just buy the roku and an HDMI cable. As Nospin said, you'll have it running witin minutes.
Don't cut your cable (tv channels) just yet. You may want to keep a much smaller package for the major networks and basic cable channels.

In reply to an earlier post on May 15, 2012 7:13:17 PM PDT
MamaSylvia says:
Ah, you'll beat us then - our anniversary isn't until July. But some people dawdle - I introduced an online friend to my boss' secretary literally the same week DH and I met. They did eventually marry (I had a feeling they would suit each other) but it took them so long we took our first baby to their wedding!

In reply to an earlier post on May 15, 2012 7:19:44 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 15, 2012 7:20:54 PM PDT
Mieko* says:
I think in our case, in a town of less than 5000, where we only watch one national news program and have no local TV programming, we certainly have missed some information. I agree, once you have gone through something you are more aware of it. Our one radio station is religious, and the newspaper is sometimes a week behind in reporting things. It used to be two weeks behind but it is getting better. It feels like Mayberry up here.

The newspaper usually covers political situations only relevant to our county, and stories about people gardening or cooking/baking in the area.

I keep up to date my information is sketchy.

In reply to an earlier post on May 15, 2012 7:20:20 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 15, 2012 7:24:38 PM PDT
MamaSylvia says:
Julia, I think we all still buy varying amounts of ebooks. I just bought TWO in a series I like for about $6 each - more than I like to pay, but, well, I like the series. And the freebies are ... erratic. Some are involving and well-written, many read like a first-grader is trying to tell a story but hasn't mastered spelling, grammar, or logical thinking. So we pass on our impressions and enjoy trying new authors.

Speaking of which, I sent a freebie to DH's Kindle a few days ago that he really didn't like - I can't remember the title but it was about an inept witch or wizard in Ireland, I think, and had a humorous-sounding description. He likes that kind of story, and he's certainly not over-demanding on writing quality, but he didn't last long on this one because he said there was too much religious hatred in it, which neither of us like.

ETA: Rose Red, if you could identify the trigger(s) to shingles, I can pretty much guarantee you a Nobel Prize in medicine. Being immunocompromised or under stress are known to increase the incidence, but why this person survives a massive family tragedy while taking chemo for breast cancer and doesn't develop shingles, while this other person stubs their toe and develops a massive case ... there is LOTS in health care that doesn't make sense.

Posted on May 15, 2012 7:26:25 PM PDT
babel says:
Catching up on posts...

I picked up a couple more:

The Book of Useless Knowledge by David Cowles (thanks, greyhounded)

Uprising (The Fall of Haven) - sci-fi (thanks, Susan)

@MamaSylvia - When I've bought books that were on my W/L (e.g., price drop), the title now disappears from the W/L automatically. It hasn't always been this way. I can't tell exactly when this started but I noticed it happening with the last few purchases, starting maybe sometime in April.

In reply to an earlier post on May 15, 2012 7:28:31 PM PDT
B.J. says:
Hello. Been out most of the day, so just catching up. Mary, I was with you this morning. No problems for me. Thanks for a good job.

@ Rose Red ~

I'm in E. Ky. and have a little vacation spot on Norris Lake. Are you near there? Actually, there are 4-5 of us in the tri-state area, maybe more when we all start talking. Love Tennessee. Welcome

All you other lurkers who sneaked in, said your piece, and wandered back out again, I saw you. Welcome to the thread. We're always pleased when a new 'voice' joins us. Have you noticed that we love to talk? Please feel free to wander back in and become part of the community.

On the shingles subject, like many on here my mother suffered horribly with shingles. I had the shot about 2 years ago. I had to take a prescription to one certain pharmacy, paid a $25 injection fee, and that was all. No problems after the injection. Since then I see signs all over that pharmacies give the vaccine, but at that time special training was required and they were first in my town.

Posted on May 15, 2012 7:31:21 PM PDT
I met hubby at a party on New Years Eve while I was in nursing school.
We will be married 52 years this August.
I don't know where the time went!

In reply to an earlier post on May 15, 2012 7:39:02 PM PDT
Susan says:

In reply to an earlier post on May 15, 2012 7:44:28 PM PDT
Susan says:
Thanks! I want to try it on the new, HD in my bedroom (which I don't use...I know, sad, but the DVR is on the old tv) then make some determinations. Does the remote/angry bird thing work like a Wii? I don't have a Wii but I do have grandchildren who do Wii and Angry Birds on their Kindles.

In reply to an earlier post on May 15, 2012 7:48:07 PM PDT
Susan says:
Have the same prob with k fire!

Yes. That is what I am going to do. Checking now.

In reply to an earlier post on May 15, 2012 7:52:53 PM PDT
Make sure you compare prices. Often amazon is cheaper.

Posted on May 15, 2012 7:55:44 PM PDT
Gold Digger, not sure how many books I have....but I've gone from 1 page of new books, to 10, in about 2-3 weeks. I've gone from trying to work out which book is worth spending money on, to working out which book to read first! Love it :)

In reply to an earlier post on May 15, 2012 7:57:06 PM PDT
N. Podaci says:
you asked about channel organization on Roku 2. It's the same - one long horizontal row.

In reply to an earlier post on May 15, 2012 7:59:55 PM PDT
What genre are you usually interested in Julia?

In reply to an earlier post on May 15, 2012 8:01:50 PM PDT
Thanks N Podaci.
that improvement would have be getting another.
Still thinking.

In reply to an earlier post on May 15, 2012 8:09:24 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 15, 2012 8:46:34 PM PDT
N. Podaci says:
Truthfully thrre's no compelling reason to upgrade unless you either want to pass the old unit to someone or another tv, or if you want to try angry birds. I don't think you (Nospin) would enjoy angry birds. The picture quality is not better but the handling of buffering is improved.
I had one other reason for wanting to upgrade which i haven't metioned- woupd not be of interest to most. The new units can supply 5.1 surround sound for somenetflix shows and movies, if the roku is connected to a capable audio/ video receiver, which I have.

In reply to an earlier post on May 15, 2012 8:23:48 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 15, 2012 8:25:13 PM PDT
dharts says:
You won't much care about having dvr with streaming, since you can pretty much watch what you want when you want anyway. I can't tell you about Angry Birds - I don't have that Roku - but since it says the remote has motion control, I guess it's something like Wii.

Susan, if your hd tv is new, you might want to check and see if it doesn't already have what you need for streaming Netflix and the other services. A lot of the new hdtvs do. If it does, you don't need a Roku.

Posted on May 15, 2012 8:38:29 PM PDT
B.J. says:
I don't believe that anything in my life has made me feel as STUPID as all the bells and whistles related to book collections from ammy. Can someone tell me how to get to the Cloud READER? I installed it using Chrome on my old laptop, which died a gruesome death. I have a new laptop, I use IE, so what happened to the Cloud Reader? It's out there somewhere with about 800 books, just floating around...

In reply to an earlier post on May 15, 2012 8:44:47 PM PDT
N. Podaci says:
@B J,
i don't use cloud reader myself, but i have read that internet explorer is the one browser that doesn't support it. You will need to download chrome or firefox.

In reply to an earlier post on May 15, 2012 8:58:57 PM PDT
See if you can access cloud reader at .

In reply to an earlier post on May 15, 2012 9:00:27 PM PDT
A. Dietz says:
BJ, You need Chrome, Firefox, or Safari as your browser to use the Kindle Cloud Reader, Internet Explorer isn't supported.

Posted on May 15, 2012 9:06:30 PM PDT
B.J. says:
The way I read it, I'll have to install Chrome again then another Cloud Reader by going that route. Will I just end up with two? I did with K4PC. I have concocted a big mess. lol
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Kindle forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
What's New in IOS Version 4.12?
56 12 hours ago
Introducing Fire-Setting an Entirely New Standard for a Tablet under $50
0 Sep 18, 2015
Introducing the All-New Fire HD: Powerful Tablets Designed for Entertainment
0 Sep 18, 2015
Welcome to the Kindle Discussion Forum - A Congregation of Kindle Enthusiasts
0 Mar 20, 2015
Power Adaptor 0 28 minutes ago
FREE Books and Chat (FB&C) November 2015 961 34 minutes ago
Kindle / Audible Recommendations and Deals (KARD) 2745 55 minutes ago
La Bible (Louis Segond) | Bible Électronique (French Edition) Kindle 0 55 minutes ago
Kindle Fire and Bose SoundLink 9 1 hour ago
Canada OK for USA bought kindle fire? 0 1 hour ago
Canadians: gift card for eBooks? 33 1 hour ago
SwagBucks Thread 8544 1 hour ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  70
Total posts:  297
Initial post:  May 15, 2012
Latest post:  May 16, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 5 customers

Search Customer Discussions