Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

The June 2012 Informal Poll - What are you reading on your Kindle?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 326-350 of 608 posts in this discussion
Posted on Jun 17, 2012 2:48:58 PM PDT
katydidit says:
Ingrid -

Definitely!

Posted on Jun 17, 2012 3:02:56 PM PDT
I finished Flesh and Blood by Graham Masterton. It was ok. It wasn't bad it wasn't great. My group picks its next read tomorrow.

Posted on Jun 17, 2012 3:37:56 PM PDT
Birt Higs says:
I just finished Torn in Two by Brit Sigh. It was a very good read. kept me on the seat of my pants. mind-bending with very vivd descriptions. Torn in Two (The Files of Tatum Soaren)

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 17, 2012 3:42:41 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 17, 2012 3:44:43 PM PDT
Last week Kerry Greenwood's Corinna Chapman series were at very reduced prices for Americans. They're set in current day Melbourne and are as good as the Phryne series.

Earthly Delights (Corinna Chapman #1) Corinna Chapman was once a high profile accountant and banker. That is until she walked out on the money market and her dismissive and unpleasant husband James, threw aside her briefcase, and doffed her kitten heels forever. Now she is a baker working in her own business, Earthly Delights, in Flinders Lane, Melbourne, Australia.
Corinna is living in an eccentric building on the Roman model called Insula, which has eight stories, sixteen apartments, and a lot of strange and interesting people. These include a retired professor of classics, Dionysius Monk; a Dutch gardener named Trudi; Mr. and Mrs. Pemberthy and their rotten little doggie, Traddles; a pair of disgustingly thin, would-be soapie stars Goss and Kylie; and a jobbing witch, Meroe of The Sibyls Cave.
Corinna is quite content with her cat Horatio and her shop until a junkie falls half dead on her grate, a gorgeous sabra stalks along her alley and tells her that she is beautiful, and she starts receiving threatening letters accusing her of being a scarlet woman.
Then it is Goths, lost girls, fraud, late nights, nerds, and beautiful slaves. Life for Corinna has suddenly become interesting. And she still needs to get her bread out in time for the morning rush....
Includes recipes. Earthly Delights is the first book in this delicious new series by the award-winning author who brought us the Phryne Fisher series.

ETA - I used to hang around the bookstore waiting for the next Kerry Greenwood to appear. My friends would then wait for me to finish it before passing it on.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 17, 2012 7:04:31 PM PDT
Anastassia says:
Thanks, katydidit - I'll definitely get this for my niece - I appreciate the reply - Have a good evening.

Posted on Jun 17, 2012 7:50:02 PM PDT
Scrapmom says:
I recently finished a couple of books while away on vacation.

Naked in Death I have wanted to try this series for some time. I really liked the main characters and look forward to reading more. Luckily my library has most of them for kindle.

The Hanover Square Affair (Captain Lacey Regency Mysteries) This was a good period mystery. I already have the next couple in my TBR.

Buzz Off (A Queen Bee Mystery) A good cozy mystery with likable characters.

Swarm (Star Force Series) Purchased this when it was the deal of the day. I liked the premise of the story and it was fast paced, but the writing seemed stilted and some of the main character's actions really stretched believability. The rest of the series is more expensive so I probably won't continue with it.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 17, 2012 8:05:00 PM PDT
Can't remember when I last posted - but I am still working my way through Brian Freemantle's Charlie Muffin thriller series. Picked up the first for a $1.99 KDD, now the others in the series have all been reduced to $2.99 - I'm now up to #7 - See Charlie Run: A Charlie Muffin Thriller (Book Seven). Classic, cold war-era thrillers, somewhat John LeCarre-esque.

Lesley - just wanted to say thank you for pointing out the Zola book - this is a series I thought of starting (many, many) years ago. Hope to start up again soon. I also picked up the dictionary - and there is also an extremely interesting reader comments exchange in the first review for 'The Fortune of the Rougons', which also provides a helpful list on how to follow the books in order...

Posted on Jun 17, 2012 8:11:09 PM PDT
Beverly says:
Isn't anyone reading The House of Velvet and Glass by Katherine Howe! I' m reading it now and enjoying it very much. Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close is one of my favorite books. Wonderful!

Posted on Jun 17, 2012 8:31:38 PM PDT
<<Isn't anyone reading The House of Velvet and Glass by Katherine Howe!>>

I have it but haven't read it yet. Love, love, loving Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close (Movie Tie-In): A Novel!!! I just love this kid.

Posted on Jun 17, 2012 9:04:09 PM PDT
NW Cooper says:
I just finished Every Last One: A Novel by Anna Quindlen. This was a really good book, I haven't enjoyed one this much in quite a while. I will be reading more by this author. It does have a dark theme and isn't a light and fluffy read, but one of those you get invested in the lives of the characters. Loved it!

Posted on Jun 17, 2012 9:13:55 PM PDT
I am reading The Expendable Spy-A Tale of WW2, by Maxmillian Lerner.

Posted on Jun 18, 2012 6:11:29 AM PDT
Jamester says:
I've been convinced: I'm starting Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close: A Novel today!

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 18, 2012 6:42:58 AM PDT
Josue says:
I feel you, there was only one thing the kid did (said) that I really did not like. I won't post it here though. Overall I rate it five stars.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 18, 2012 6:43:31 AM PDT
Josue says:
You will love it Jamie!

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 18, 2012 6:51:46 AM PDT
Beverly...read it, liked it.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 18, 2012 7:02:10 AM PDT
fourthdaymom says:
Thanks -- I will check her out. One True Thing: A Novel looks very interesting.

Posted on Jun 18, 2012 9:48:59 AM PDT
I have just read Lost in Shangri La (non fiction- for my book club- probably otherwise wouldn't have read it but glad I did) and War Brides (think it was the deal of the day about a month ago).

Posted on Jun 18, 2012 10:00:27 AM PDT
Dragi Raos says:
Lightspeed: Year One

Posted on Jun 18, 2012 10:15:54 AM PDT
KathyC says:
I haven't posted in quite a while, and have read several books since my last post. I'm currently about 20% into The Broken Token, which is a library loan. So far it's a decent historical mystery.

Posted on Jun 18, 2012 12:54:08 PM PDT
JoJoPNW says:
I'm not sure when I last posted...
I finished Get Thee to a Punnery: An Anthology of Intentional Assaults Upon the English Language by Richard Lederer (bought for $0.99; now $3.99). Excellent book, but not great on a Kindle, as the answers to the quizzes are in the back of the book.
I read How To Get Rid Of Spiders - Spider Proof Your Home! by Michelle Neubold (got it as a freebie; now $3.05). I learned a few good tips.
I read Make Your Own Black Garlic by Cassandra Cookson got it free; now $2.99). Very interesting. I had not heard of this delicacy. Cleverly written.
I read Tamar by Mal Peet (paid $0.99; now $7.19). Very good, thought provoking book.

I finished The Dog Walker by Corwyn Alvarez (got it as a freebie; now $9.99). An engaging story, I read it in anticipation of the Free Books and Chat Book Discussion, which is scheduled for Thursday.
For the same discussion group scheduled for two weeks from Thursday, I'm reading Graves' End: A Magical Thriller by Sean Patrick Traver (got it as a freebie; now $3.99). This book is one crazy read! I would have given up because of the horror aspect (and lots of bugs - yuck), were it not for the discussion group, which is exposing me to genres I wouldn't normally choose.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 18, 2012 1:59:34 PM PDT
grannypatt says:
And if you like that book you might want to try Every Last One: A Novel by the same author...

Posted on Jun 18, 2012 2:06:30 PM PDT
Coach D says:
I am about 70% into The Fallen (Derek Stillwater) by Mark Terry. I picked up this $3.59 action (die hard style) thriller for FREE a while ago. My cup of tea, but it is the 3rd book in a series. I am liking the story, so I will probably end up going back and getting the first two. Gotta love those free books....

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 18, 2012 2:09:08 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 18, 2012 2:10:18 PM PDT
Ann Little says:
Beatles: The Untold Story
This is a paperback Beatles book I am reading but available in Kindle.
"Beatles The Untold Story" by Argus Book Publishers is the most intriguing read yet in the mound of Beatles books. Instead of talking "about" the Beatles, it is a real story, it is like being a fly on the wall while Beatlemainia was going on and its fantastic. Even better, it assumes Paul was killed and replaced by a look-alike making it one of the more clever stories I have read. I would recommend it.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 18, 2012 2:16:15 PM PDT
J says:
David Dalton: Ugh, I could kick myself. I saw that that the last Jack Daniels was free but didn't pick it up because I hadn't read any of the others and my tbr pile was miles deep. Thanks for mentioning the lending library-I hadn't thought of that. A little more gore than I usually like but I love the characters so much that I'm not going to let that stop me this time. I finished Shaken (Jacqueline "Jack" Daniels Series) today and have to find something else to read until my next loan on July 1.

Posted on Jun 18, 2012 3:29:30 PM PDT
Patsy says:
Finished How Not To Run A B&B, thoroughly enjoyed it.

24% into Elsie - Adventures of an Arizona Schoolteacher 1913-1916. This is a most interesting and enjoyable read. The author has pieced together the life of her grandmother from 1913-1916, there are actual letters and diary entries written by her grandmother. I highly recommend it.
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Kindle forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Announcement
Software Update for the Original Kindle Paperwhite
0 Jul 1, 2015
Announcement
News: Kindle for Android app Update 4.13 Now Available
0 Jun 25, 2015
Announcement
Amazon Introduces New Kindle Paperwhite: The Most Popular Kindle, Now Even Better
0 Jun 18, 2015
Announcement
Welcome to the Kindle Discussion Forum - A Congregation of Kindle Enthusiasts
0 Mar 20, 2015
Discover Cash Back Points 0 7 minutes ago
Kindle Fire does not display web pages. 135 31 minutes ago
Free Books and Chat - August 2015 146 40 minutes ago
Amazon echo is for sale now! 292 59 minutes ago
Mobi error 4 1 hour ago
Freebie Books - Links Only - No Self Promotion IV 3126 1 hour ago
No-rush shipping credits are a scam 52 1 hour ago
RAOK 82 has a spring in its step! 7750 2 hours ago

Thank you for your support of Amazon Discussion Forums. Due to the changing needs of Amazon Forums, we have decided to stop supporting the ‘Active discussions in related forums’ feature in order to focus on providing the most value for our customers.  

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  176
Total posts:  608
Initial post:  Jun 1, 2012
Latest post:  Jul 5, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 18 customers

Search Customer Discussions