Your Garage Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors
Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

FREE Books and Chat - Saturday, April 14, 2012

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 351-374 of 374 posts in this discussion
Posted on Apr 14, 2012 9:56:42 PM PDT
Wow, miss a day, and people aren't feeling well. Thoughts out to Melissa, Reader, and even those too shy to say. On the hair topic, I hope to go for the violet hair rinse one day :)
Late night picks for me:
NO MAD - Contemporary Fiction
Good on Paper - Contemporary Fiction
And now I'm too tired to look through many more. Have a good night, all.

Posted on Apr 14, 2012 10:05:42 PM PDT
Elizabeth S H- Thank you so much for the awesome gift of Diary of a Kitchen Assistant: Men and Deliveries. It made my night and once again made those pesky DVFs fade right away. Amazing how feeling warm and fuzzy counterbalances that! :-)

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 14, 2012 10:09:46 PM PDT
 nospin  says:
Good night DonnaBeeGood.

Sweet dreams, sweet marla.

Posted on Apr 14, 2012 10:15:19 PM PDT
I'm back 1 Perfect Pocket Tote in Tea Garden later...Thanks Emerald Coast for sharing!

Posted on Apr 14, 2012 11:31:59 PM PDT
This thread has almost slipped over to page 2 - so "bump" back to the top.
I have slowed down my 1 clicking - the addiction was getting a bit out of hand and I prefer to think that I will read all the books I have downloaded (free or not). Plus I have been busy and not totally well. Still find time thought to lurk in the background with all you lovely people.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 15, 2012 12:18:34 AM PDT
MamaSylvia says:
> Don't they have to get CE hours to keep up-to-date?)

Wouldn't you think so? But a lot of them apparently manage to get their required CEUs without actually LEARNING anything.

I wish I could just pass you some of my spare weight. ;) But I know how difficult it is to keep up your intake when you're sick (whether chemo or antibiotics or a number of other problems) that anything I can offer to help, I am glad to. But I really think the most helpful change is to simply give yourself permission to have whims. If you feel a big slab of bread and butter, or frozen popsicles, or chocolate cake (although you said you don't like sweets) - try it. That may be your best bet as to what you can keep down. And if you're on the usual cycle of a few days of chemo and then 3-4 weeks recovery time, don't even force yourself to eat while you are getting the chemo. If you can stay hydrated, then you can resume eating after the chemo nausea passes. (I do hope you're standing firm against alcoholic drinks, unless your doctor has said they are okay. Between the diuretic and depressant effects, it would add to your problems.)

Kay, the nutritionist who tried to have me watching for "complete" protein is an RD. Reader's advisor probably was also. That's what makes it so sad.

Bkworm Bren, you'd have felt guilty over not taking your horse in to be re-shod once you bought a Model T. <g> I've bought 2 paper books in the past month. One is an old book that Gutenberg doesn't have, so I'm going to scan and OCR (and proofread!) it to upload to Gutenberg. The other also isn't available on Kindle and I really want it, so I'll scan and OCR it for my own use. Yes, it's tedious, but when it's something I will re-read numerous times, it's worth the effort.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 15, 2012 12:20:41 AM PDT
MamaSylvia says:
Deena, you are absolutely shooting your mouth off about what you don't know. Some types of chemo can interact dangerously with alcohol, and in any case, when she's fighting to maintain adequate hydration any alcohol is totally counterproductive.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 15, 2012 12:26:42 AM PDT
MamaSylvia says:
Marla, I saw enormous variation in what people could tolerate, which is why I adopted the guideline of "if it sounds good to you, try it." Ensure works great for some people, others can't tolerate it at all. Some liked it icy cold, others liked it warm. Some liked fruit juices, some liked milkshakes, others could only drink plain water. The ones that seemed to have it the roughest were the ones who were still trying to eat a balanced diet, and forcing themselves to eat foods they used to like. I'm so glad your dad found some foods he was able to enjoy.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 15, 2012 12:37:51 AM PDT
MamaSylvia says:
BJ, I'd be worried that your kidneys might be spilling sodium, which is not a good thing. HBP and diabetes both raise your risk of kidney failure. Do you remember what number your sodium was? Normal (for most labs) is the range of 135-145. What did your doctor say?

Posted on Apr 15, 2012 12:43:03 AM PDT
AuntOh says:
Good morning! Just getting myself ready to go. We already have a kinlib (below) which I will be adding to Sunday's thread.

http://us.kinlib.com/new/79de/ (186)

Posted on Apr 15, 2012 12:45:27 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 15, 2012 12:48:23 AM PDT
RandOR says:
eReader is updating.

Randy

Hi AuntOh.

6 full pages * 48 = 288
partial page 7 = 35
total new books = 323

http://www.ereaderiq.com/free/ (323 new books - updated at 12:40 am PDT)

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 15, 2012 12:46:33 AM PDT
AuntOh says:
Hi Randy!

Posted on Apr 15, 2012 12:55:41 AM PDT
Cinder says:
*sets out big pot of Ninja Brew™ coffee, and plate of Ninja™ cookies*

Posted on Apr 15, 2012 1:06:46 AM PDT
RandOR says:
Today is...
FREE Books and Chat - Saturday, April 14, 2012

Link to yesterday's thread...
FREE Books and Chat - Friday, April 13, 2012
http://www.amazon.com/forum/kindle/ref=cm_cd_tfp_ef_tft_tp?_encoding=UTF8&cdForum=Fx1D7SY3BVSESG&cdThread=Tx1Z2EOD243DBMV

Link to tomorrow's thread...
FREE Books and Chat - Sunday, April 15, 2012
http://www.amazon.com/forum/kindle/ref=cm_cd_tfp_ef_tft_tp?_encoding=UTF8&cdForum=Fx1D7SY3BVSESG&cdThread=Tx3SZ2O9KMK1M7P

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 15, 2012 7:11:55 AM PDT
Sweet Diva Reader Marla, you are welcome. I'm glad it worked.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 15, 2012 9:01:33 AM PDT
I did chuckle that 1 decided to hit my thank you. Doesn't seem to take much to make their day lately, but it was good for a laugh...

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 15, 2012 9:39:07 AM PDT
Deena says:
MamaSylvia, You are right. Everybody's chemo is different for all different types of cancers. But, I wasn't shooting my mouth off. It was just my experience. Sorry if I offended anyone. I was just being cheeky.

Posted on Apr 15, 2012 9:45:53 AM PDT
Susan Cooper says:
Can somebody pelase help me?? I just got my Kindle Fire yesterday, and I can't get ANYTHING to download. I'm sure I am doing one little thing wrong, but this is so frustrating!

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 15, 2012 9:50:59 AM PDT
Susan, I am assuming that you registered it, and have enabled the wi-fi and have it turned on?

Go to the upper R of your screen. Click on the little gear icon and then click on "sync", and your books should appear on the carousel.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 15, 2012 9:57:07 AM PDT
Reader says:
@ Deena - no harm and I appreciate the caring behind everyone's suggestions. :)

@ MamaSylvia - No worries - no ETOH (sigh). You're right, I'm trying to keep my low carb (healthy carb)/low fat (healthy fat) lifestyle. I've been doing it forever and things like pasta and potatoes just aren't appealing. (I also have enough lactose intolerance that ice cream is out of the question.)

You have all given me good suggestions and I'm working on a menu for myself.
(I have an acquaintance undergoing chemo for breast CA and her appetite has not undergone any change. She does say that instead of hightened smells, she can't smell anything now - so maybe that's why.)

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 15, 2012 10:42:39 AM PDT
Grandma says:
@Reader - there are some very good vegan ice creams made with things like soy and almond milk.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 15, 2012 10:50:29 AM PDT
greyhounded says:
Reader,

I will second Grandma's suggestion regarding the vegan ice creams. So Delicious makes absolutely awesome flavors. I love ice cream and some of their flavors are even better than the real thing. Here is a link if you wish to check out the product line. http://www.turtlemountain.com/products

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 15, 2012 3:11:07 PM PDT
I will add her and her whole family to my prayer list. Please keep us informed.... Thanks. ebc

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 15, 2012 5:25:13 PM PDT
Reader says:
Thank you, Grandma and greyhounded I will check them out. I never paid any attention before.
‹ Previous 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Kindle forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  76
Total posts:  374
Initial post:  Apr 14, 2012
Latest post:  Apr 15, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 3 customers

Search Customer Discussions