Kindle Software Update Version 4.1.0

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 351-375 of 545 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Jun 23, 2012 10:12:08 AM PDT
Q says:
Yes, true. I use sort by collections.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 23, 2012 10:18:46 AM PDT
Patricia says:
Bruce -- thank you. I'm keeping my fingers crossed on the Collections issue. As for the Wi-Fi/battery-drain issue, I'll just leave it on and see how much of a drain it is. I've got a mini-surge protector (with 3 AC and 2 USB outlets), plus the one that plugs into my car lighter (for the rare occasions when the electricity is out for more than a day).

Oooh, I love my Kindle! And I'm rather fond of this forum and its wise, kind and generous participants. Thanks, all!

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 23, 2012 10:38:11 AM PDT
CBRetriever says:
I'm hoping that since there obviously is a way to create a collection in the archives (Dictionaries) that it may become available in the future even though they dictionaries are not in a collection on the Manage Your Kindle page

Posted on Jun 23, 2012 8:02:16 PM PDT
Robin says:
I didn't care about the parental controls since i'ts just me reading but I can see reason for it - however I was annoyed with the no notice, no information about the change in turning on/off wireless - I went looking all over for it when I wanted to turn it on and download a book. I keep it off most times to extend my battery life for reading. Airplane mode???? What brilliant idiot thought of THAT name for it? It worked great before the way it was, it didn't need "fixing" and now it's all these new steps/clicks...

C'mon amazon....

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 23, 2012 8:07:53 PM PDT
Robin says:
lol.. "easier"? no.. when you're someone who has hand mobility issues all those extra clicks actually makes it harder for my hands to do.... I too liked that placement before, easy on/off - and I download a lot of ebooks to read/libraries/etc. and I like conserving my battery life when I can. Agree on the font...

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 23, 2012 8:09:55 PM PDT
Jazzy_Jeff says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

Posted on Jun 24, 2012 7:45:47 AM PDT
Vita Green says:
I just received my Kindle ($79) and I tried to do the upgrade, I'm pretty sure I followed the instructions but when all was said and done, it did not update? any suggestions, or should I just wait for the WiFi push?

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 24, 2012 7:58:55 AM PDT
CBRetriever says:
maybe it came with the update already applied?

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 24, 2012 8:12:40 AM PDT
Vita Green says:
my version is v.4.0.1. It would have been nice since I only received it in the mail yesterday.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 24, 2012 8:39:32 AM PDT
CBRetriever says:
ah, it was a thought - those of us who bought the Kindle touch from the international kindle stores got ones that had that update already installed

you were connected via usb?
kindle was turned on?
you dropped the update file onto the main directory, not a subdirectory?
then found a place in the menu that said update and clicked it?
(it rebooted twice after I did it to mine)

then I had to connect and reboot again to get my archives updated
Your reply to CBRetriever's post:
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)

Posted on Jun 24, 2012 9:19:43 AM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Jun 24, 2012 9:29:20 AM PDT]

Posted on Jun 24, 2012 9:27:38 AM PDT
J. Willard says:
so maybe i'm impatient, but i like simplicity and i have bought all the kindles since the first one came out. as each kindle improved, i purchased it and have been happy with them. for the first time i'm unhappy with it. i do appreciate updates, but not when it makes my life more difficult. all i want to do is turn wireless on/off with one click the way i used to on my kindle 4. hate the airplane mode thing. i know it sounds ridiculous, but when a person is a senior all she wants is simplicity in life and reading on my kindle and turning wireless on/off USED to be simple. keep up with updates amazon, but leave what's simple and good alone!

Posted on Jun 24, 2012 10:44:56 AM PDT
can I rollback to 4.0.1?
I need back my WiFi menu item!

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 24, 2012 10:46:44 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 24, 2012 10:46:59 AM PDT
Jazzy_Jeff says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 24, 2012 12:24:02 PM PDT
A lot of us are with you. What remains to be seen is whether amazon cares what we think and fixes it.

Posted on Jun 24, 2012 3:43:05 PM PDT
Mike C says:
I like the new update but I agree that the wireless setting should be easier to reach, from any screen would be best. Makes it easier for me to buy/download etc than having to go to home the settings etc.

Posted on Jun 25, 2012 12:56:16 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 25, 2012 12:59:31 AM PDT
Freeman says:
[Bug report: Kindle 4.1.0]

Bug:
If generate a mobi file using KindleGen v2.4, rename it to a Chinese file name, like 中文.mobi , and copy the file into the kindle using USB data wire, it can't be opened with Kindle 4.1.0.

Error: "The selected item could not be opened. If you purchased this item from Amazon, delete this item and redownload it from Archived Items available in Home."

If rename the file to an English name, like abc.mobi, it can be opened normally.

But if do the same thing with KindleGen v1.2, it will be fine.

Posted on Jun 25, 2012 1:05:49 AM PDT
CBRetriever says:
well, most of us wouldn't name a file with chinese characters, so that's not too big a problem

I'm kinda surprised that it worked on the other kindle

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 25, 2012 1:21:38 AM PDT
Freeman says:
A Chinese book usually don't have an English name, if rename the file name to English characters, it will be difficult to distinguish.

And it seems fine to using KindleGen before version 2.4.

KindleGen v2.4 have added Chinese language, I think kindle will be selling in China soon, so Chinese file name is important.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 25, 2012 1:26:15 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 25, 2012 1:30:34 AM PDT
CBRetriever says:
you should likely report this to amazon rather than to the other kindle users in this forum

also, the names of regular kindle books from amazon usually bear no relation to their actual numbers

Posted on Jun 26, 2012 6:17:39 AM PDT
L says:
Turning wireless on/off is an annoyance with the new update.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 26, 2012 6:34:56 AM PDT
Jazzy_Jeff says:

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 26, 2012 5:50:26 PM PDT
I guess for now, just use PinYin in the filename

Posted on Jun 27, 2012 6:46:01 AM PDT
I want to voice that I don't like the new airplane/lack of wireless ease for turning off and on that came through with this update. For the $79 Kindle, it made sense to have EASE with turning wireless off and on because of the clunky buttons involved in this version of the Kindle. Now, to update the Kindle you have to open a menu and go into that that to turn airplane off and on. Why make people go into an extra menu? The update said the reason they did this was for consistency with other devices but this move makes this device anti-intuitive. Other Kindle devices have touch screens and going into another menu feels natural. I have both the Fire and the $79 version and I don't care for the change on the less expensive version. It makes it harder to use and that is not an improvement.

Posted on Jun 27, 2012 6:49:19 AM PDT
Give me my wireless switch-off back, please!
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Kindle forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Announcement
Simon & Schuster Agreement
0 12 hours ago
Announcement
Update re: Amazon/Hachette Business Interruption
0 Jul 29, 2014
Announcement
Hachette/Amazon Business Interruption
0 May 27, 2014
Announcement
Have a Kindle Question?
0 Sep 12, 2012
my kindle fire wont turn on or charge 104 5 seconds ago
Anyone seen shipping notice for Kindle Voyage ? 75 3 minutes ago
Kindle books vs Nook availability 2 6 minutes ago
We're an International Quirky Bunch! Put on Your Chiffon and Taffeta, Sashay In, Pet a Midnight Goat, Cat or Dog, Crack Open Your Stelvin Closures and Say "Hi" to Cherie! 8692 7 minutes ago
kindle fire it sucks and blows 208 8 minutes ago
Isn't the Kindle Voyage too expensive? 3 11 minutes ago
October Informal Poll--what are you reading now? 409 11 minutes ago
SwagBucks Thread 3365 12 minutes ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  160
Total posts:  545
Initial post:  Jun 4, 2012
Latest post:  Jan 18, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 30 customers

Search Customer Discussions