Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

Announcement

Kindle Fire Tips: Getting Started

This discussion has reached the maximum length permitted, and cannot accept new replies. Start a new discussion

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 4151-4175 of 1000 posts in this discussion
Posted on Jun 15, 2012 8:58:26 AM PDT
@Oak

I too love my 27" Core i7 iMac. It would have cost me twice as much to get a PC this size, and capable. First thing that I did was to get rid of Leopard, and install PCLinuxOS and a partition for Windows 7, as I need to be able to use Photoshop CS4. Great computer.

Posted on Jun 15, 2012 9:58:09 AM PDT
the movies I've bought and downloaded to my device don't play unless I'm on-line. Why aren't they stored locally on the device and viewable whether I'm online or not?

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 15, 2012 10:02:16 AM PDT
Avid Reader says:
Every once in awhile, I think I live in the other place.

Posted on Jun 15, 2012 10:05:59 AM PDT
I thought yesterday that I was living in the other place. I went over to the Kindle for Android Update thread, and was kept busy reading a continuing rant by a lady who had updated her Samsung Galaxy Phone to the Kindle for Android Update, and how it had destroyed her phone.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 15, 2012 10:09:30 AM PDT
Avid Reader says:
LOL, Tom, No once can crucify you here and who would care if they try. I have always wished I could have one Mac but mostly I am always thankful that 12 yrs ago I didn't think 65 was to old to "get on the computer."

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 15, 2012 10:11:59 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 15, 2012 10:15:15 AM PDT
@Michael Lovelace

As I have only streamed a movie once, and that was just after I received my Kindle Fire. I am probably not the most reliable source to answer you question, but I will try to from what I have seen posted here.

You may have not actually "Downloaded" the movie. If you have purchased the movie, it will be in your cloud archive.

If you have rented the movie, it should also be in your cloud archive, at least until 24 hours after you first started watching the movie. After starting to watch a rented movie, it will be removed from your cloud after 24 hours.

I hope both that this is correct, and that it helps you.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 15, 2012 11:21:06 AM PDT
my kindle fire will not turn on when button is pushed. worked last night.

Posted on Jun 15, 2012 11:31:14 AM PDT
@Charles J. Cieswein

Okay, will try to help!

1. Charge your Kindle Fire. Plug it in, and wait for a half hour or so. then try to start it.

2. If it still will not start. Press and hold the Power Button for a full 20 seconds, Count to 20 slowly as you do this. Then let it sit for a moment, and then try to start it up.

3. When you plug it in to your wall charger that came with your Kindle Fire. Does the Power Button light up? If it is in need of a charge "Less than 80% charged" the light should be a yellow/orange in color. If it's charge state is greater than 80% the light will be green.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 15, 2012 12:22:21 PM PDT
Q says:
Can an app like K4A destroy or mess up the entire OS operation on a phone if it isn't even open? I can't imagine.

Posted on Jun 15, 2012 12:35:05 PM PDT
I really do not know? I do know that I have had virtually no problems with my Fire, since I received it. That were not caused by my own impatience.

Not saying that I have not done a lot of research, and testing different applications. Finding what works and what I have not been able to make work.

I have had less than a half dozen hard reset's. and only one since the March 29 update. I also have not Reset to Factory Default, since the March update.

I am currently running GO Launcher EX 3.03, with 102 applications available "installed". I did get rid of all the "Phone" apps and have not installed any "Phone" widgets.
I have 7 screens, that I have my applications distributed across so as to categorize them, and 15 applications are on the Dock so as to be available anytime.
Running Dolphin HD 8.1.1 and a whole group of addon's, without any problems at all. AND Kindle for Android 3.6, again without any problem.
Go figgure?

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 15, 2012 12:42:10 PM PDT
Q says:
Hi Michael,
When I run videos within BBC's page, no matter what browser I use (incl Dolphin) the lips are often not in sync. This is the case even if I reset the entire Fire and test it with nothing on it.

My home connection is 20Mbps DSL and at work is 25Mbps up+down cable. Same result on both lines.

Streamed movies and YouTube play fine, though YouTube lags too if I play a clip on another browser. It has to run in the Fire's default movie player to work.

But BBC's videos seem to have to just play in their page. I can make them full-page, but they are still running under the browser.

Ideas?

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 15, 2012 3:52:45 PM PDT
Hi Patricia,
I would recommend the Bose Earbuds...it's like listening in surround sound, crisp and clear and I never have the volume all the way up.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 15, 2012 7:28:54 PM PDT
Q says:
Hi Patricia,
Besides the Volume+ app, I recommend the Sennheiser CX 200, 300 or 500 earbuds, depending on your budget (I use the CX 300B), and they work very well for me. Quality earbuds.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 15, 2012 7:35:06 PM PDT
Jeanne says:
Dropped my kindle in the pool. Just ordered KFire. When I start up, will my library just appear or is there a process I need to know about?

$79 annual deal, unlimited movies and tv?

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 15, 2012 7:36:50 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 15, 2012 7:37:08 PM PDT
Q says:
If you register it to the same Amazon account as your last Kindle, all of your Kindle library books will be there in the archives (called "Cloud" on the Fire.)

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 15, 2012 7:39:23 PM PDT
Hi, Jeanne- When you tap on Books from your Homescreen and tap Cloud you will see all your Amazon purchased books on the shelf. They will all have downward arrows and you can tap them to download them (while you're WiFi connected) to your Kindle Fire. Then, when you tap on Device while under Books, you will see the books actually downloaded to your KF device. Joanne

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 15, 2012 7:43:27 PM PDT
@Q

I have spent the last couple of hours running tests.

Using servers in Lynnwood, Washington. West Valley, Utah. Palo Alto, California. San Francisco, California. Bixby, Oklahoma.

My FIOS Internet has consistanly run 24.75 - 27.5 up, and 4.8 - 6.5 down.

More important than raw speed though is the broadband width. and pinging the same servers. I had a low of B+ and most consistantly A. with no packet loss and ping speeds from 22ms to a high of 55, the 55 was a server in Bixby, Oklahoma.
Jitter speeds from 4 to 7.

I have experience no out of sync video, with CBS, ABC, and BBC or Youtube.

I am strictly using Dolphin HD, with Flash set to always on. I do play BBC in Full Screen.

I have not been able to play NBC, as yet. And do not know why.

I am of an opinion that most of the problem's that user's who have posted here, are of there own lack of understanding. The few problem's that I have had IE: "Flying Kindle Fire". Were of my own impatience.

I am not without empathy, however sometime's you just have to RTFM. Know one has read Shakespeare, without first reading Dick and Jane. You cannot build a home or any other building, without reading the blueprints, and have something fit to live in.

That maybe sounds a little harsh, but then life is a beach, and if you are not lucky you might wind up married to one.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 15, 2012 7:51:49 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 15, 2012 7:53:18 PM PDT
Q says:
Okay, perhaps my lack of experience. Speednet and Speakeasy show I get avg 25Mbps down and 1.5 Mbps up at home and 25Mbps up and down at work (cable). On a fresh, clean Fire system, I get the issue of out-of-sync lips on the BBC site only at both home and work.

I get it using Silk and with Dolphin HD 8 and Maxthon.

I have Silk's Flash set to always on and Acceleration off. The rest are the default settings.

Any advice? I didn't see any in your last post.

Posted on Jun 15, 2012 7:58:38 PM PDT
@Q

Dump, Silk, Maxthon and the Stock Kindle Reader!

Other than that. It is what it is.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 15, 2012 8:02:56 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 15, 2012 8:03:58 PM PDT
Q says:
Are you saying that dumping the stock launcher will speed up the Kindle Fire? I would have thought that adding yet another app on top of it all would slow it down more or chew up memory.

I have read of speed increases under CM9 and rooting, but I won't do that until my Fire becomes an extra "toy" and I can experiment with it. I need it for now.

I do think the 512MB RAM or shared active memory is a bottleneck.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 15, 2012 8:18:46 PM PDT
@Q

I did not say anything about the Stock KF Launcher, not even that it still sucks.

But as a matter of fact. Especially with the last three updates GO Launcher EX smokes. As I said earlier. I have at present 102 applications spread across 7 screens, including 15 applications on the Dock.

The KF boots a Linux Kernal, once it is booted it is gone. there is very little running in the background. While there are applications for Android written in C++, most are written in JAVA. though there is no JAVA Virtual Machine on board to process them. Android instead uses the Delvik Virtual Machine. this is what the lawsuit between Cisco and Google is about. Cisco is saying that Google reverse engineered the JAVA Virtual Machine and stole their technology.

I do believe that the GO Launcher EX processes faster than the KF Launcher.

As far as browsing the internet I have not seen a problem that I think is related to the 512mg RAM limitation. If I have a good WiFi connection, my KF smokes. If my connection is weak, then it gets a little slower, but not much that I can tell.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 15, 2012 8:49:59 PM PDT
Q says:
Well, Michael, you know a lot more about such things than me. Heck, my wife knows more about Go Launcher than me since she has it on her Galaxy 5" and her 10" Xoom.

Perhaps I'll try again.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 16, 2012 12:47:39 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 16, 2012 12:50:10 AM PDT
Dear Michael:

I still have not bought a router. The more research I do the more confused I get. I do have my eye on a very expensive router because of its specs on speed and range.

I have thought about switching from DSL to FIOS. The problem is that I would have to use Fios for my tv or run wires throughout the house. I know the speed of Fios is excellent. How good is the range for a two bedroom condo from Fios?

The person who used to help me on computers no longer works at my condo. He thought I needed an expensive router because it has to have enough speed and range for two computers, two kindle fires, and two roku boxes that I plan to buy. Do you believe he is right?

Btw, I did not understand virtually anything technical in your post about Fios. LOL. I hope you will be patient with me.

Posted on Jun 16, 2012 4:58:13 AM PDT
Oak says:
Just saw this:
Amazon may knock $50 off the Kindle Fire price tag in order to make room for the Kindle Fire HD.

Zoom

The latest Kindle Fire rumor is that Amazon may drop its price down from $199 USD to $149 USD. This will likely happen in 3Q12 as the company releases its revamped Kindle line and the Kindle Fire HD (2) tablet.

http://www.tomsguide.com/us/Kindle-Fire-Kindle-Touch-Amazon-Apple-iPAd,news-15568.html

Tom

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 16, 2012 7:45:56 AM PDT
@Deborah Burns

The only thing that I can tell you for sure is, if you can get FIOS. Do do. I am not always happy with Verizon, but it works great. Especially with the deals that they have available. I am sure that you get the adds.

With your Wireless Router that comes with FIOS, it will be B/G/N. so you do not need to worry so much about speed. I am on a 15/5 "the lowest" plan, and have always actually achived speeds of 25/5. So even at the lowest level the service is great.
Discussion locked

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  1164
Total posts:  10000
Initial post:  Dec 24, 2011
Latest post:  Aug 7, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 77 customers

Search Customer Discussions