Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

The June 2012 Informal Poll - What are you reading on your Kindle?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 426-450 of 608 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Jun 22, 2012 1:41:35 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 22, 2012 1:43:12 AM PDT
I'm reading The Secret Life of Marilyn Monroe and The Red Market: On the Trail of the World's Organ Brokers, Bone Thieves, Blood Farmers, and Child Traffickers. I recommend both of these. I learned quite a lot about each vastly different topic and thought they were worth the money :-< no discounts.

Posted on Jun 22, 2012 5:42:46 AM PDT
T. Ramsey says:
Just started reading Nephilim Genesis of Evil. Not too bad so far.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 22, 2012 5:45:53 AM PDT
dusty says:
I tried to read The Terror but I couldn't finish it. Heck I only read about 50 pages. It's now an unread,brand new,hard cover door stopper. I guess I will take it to GoodWill or Salvation Army. I can't wait for you to read the book. Looking forward to your review.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 22, 2012 6:11:47 AM PDT
@ Dusty
Are you sure you gave it a fair shot? I read it and I thought it was good. Don't give it away just yet. Maybe after a few weeks you will be more inclined to try it again. I tried to read "We need to Talk about Kevin" We Need to Talk About Kevin and I hated it. But then, I tried again after a few weeks and I loved it. Maybe that will happen to you.

Posted on Jun 22, 2012 6:23:41 AM PDT
Just re-read The Scarlet Pimpernel by Countess Orczy, re: the French Revolution, a free download from those available at Amazon and have requested Charles Todd's A Fearsome Doubt and A Long Shadow from my local library and will download them to my Kindle when they are available. Todd's protagonist is Inspector Ian Rutledge, a WWI vet. This mystery series is set in post-war England. I recommend starting with the first book, A Test of Wills for background.

Posted on Jun 22, 2012 8:12:30 AM PDT
Seggybaby says:
@dusty, I started "The Terror" three separate times over the course of three years and put it down thinking it wasn't something I wanted to read - I picked it up for the fourth and final time last summer and absolutely am glad I read it - I'm thinking it was my mood the first three times, because I totally enjoyed it - give it another try!

Posted on Jun 22, 2012 12:00:31 PM PDT
Jwb52z says:
I just felt like I should mention that a recent free book put one over on me until I specifically read details about the publisher which revealed the book to be stealth CF. "Death of a Couch Potato's Wife" was the book.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 22, 2012 12:15:19 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Jun 22, 2012 12:16:35 PM PDT]

Posted on Jun 22, 2012 12:40:54 PM PDT
J. Marchant says:
I just finished Boy's Life by Robert R. McCammon, thanks to recommendations here. I give it 5/5.

For a book club, I am now going to read The Heart and the Fist: The education of a humanitarian, the making of a Navy SEAL by Eric Greitens.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 22, 2012 12:55:56 PM PDT
YAY! I am so glad you liked it J. Marchant!

Posted on Jun 22, 2012 1:52:02 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Jun 22, 2012 1:52:47 PM PDT]

Posted on Jun 22, 2012 3:03:55 PM PDT
Bkworm Bren says:
Still struggling with Affinity and I can't decide whether I like it enough to continue. I think I'll either drop it (or decide to stick with it) tonight! Don't think I want to completely delete it though, since it wasn't a freebie!

Posted on Jun 22, 2012 9:21:52 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 22, 2012 9:22:36 PM PDT
Dorsie says:
As world events get darker, my choice of books goes the other way, sort of. I'm reading The Anteater of Death: A Gunn Zoo Mystery (Gunn Zoo Series) and really enjoying the unusual zoo setting and characters. For some reason, there are three Kindle versions of this book. The one I have linked is the latest and least expensive.

Since this book was entertaining from the start, I also purchased The Koala of Death: A Gunn Zoo Mystery (Gunn Zoo Series). The only people laughing are those who have never held a koala and felt those sharp, curved claws. They're as cute as - Ouch!

Next week, I'm looking forward to the new release by James Rollins, Bloodline: A Sigma Force Novel.

Posted on Jun 23, 2012 8:24:33 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 23, 2012 8:25:43 AM PDT
I just finished re-reading Swan Song. I think I read it for the first time about 25 years ago and loved it then. I also read The Stand for the first time a couple of months ago and I'm afraid that Swan Song suffers by comparison. I just never really connected to the characters in Swan Song the same way that I did with Stu, Frannie, Larry, Nick, and even Harold and Trashcan Man. I'd still give it 4 stars, though. Now what to read next??? So many books, so little time!

Kathleen Valentine - have you read Doc: A Novel by Mary Doria Russell? It's one of my favorite books in 2011. I think it's a beautiful portrait of Doc Holliday. It takes place in Dodge before the gunfight in Tombstone and it's about how Doc met Wyatt and the Earp brothers and how their friendships developed. This is not the alcoholic, psychotic, cold-blooded gunslinger portrayed in dime novels and Hollywood movies. This is the well-educated young Southern gentleman who was an accomplished dentist (and pianist) and who was struck down by TB at the age of 22. I thought it was lovely.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 23, 2012 8:31:12 AM PDT
Mother Beaver, it's hard not to compare the two, it really is. I tried to read Swan Song shortly after I read The Stand and I had to put it down because the stories were so similiar. However, I reread SS shortly after I got my Kindle (and about 2 years after my last reread of The Stand) and I enjoyed and appreciated it much more. Though the stories are similiar as I said, I think SS was much better with some distance from The Stand. I still have some love for Swan. : )

Posted on Jun 23, 2012 1:27:17 PM PDT
Josue says:
finishing off Twenty Years After and The Yellow House: A Novel and both are really good reads with your time. I just decided to take a break from them a while back but now they are my main focus again. i should be done with them by the end of the month actually as well as Return to Sawyerton Springs: A Mostly True Tale Filled with Love, Learning, and Laughter which seems to be kinda short.

Posted on Jun 23, 2012 4:00:55 PM PDT
AuntOh says:
A few months ago, someone in the discount thread recommended a children's book NOT FREE (The Search for WondLa) when the price dropped. Well, my niece and I are doing our own 'book club' type of thing and this is the book we're reading. I just want to say that I am finding it _wonderful_ and am enjoying every bit of it. We don't meet until July, but I hope she enjoys it, too!

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 23, 2012 4:56:07 PM PDT
Carolina says:
@renee
If no one ever gave you help, contact the Need Help with your Kindle? Forum or register your Kindle with Amazon. You must have an acct. with them, though there are many free books and you can borrow books from the library and return them via wireless. They should be able to help you, too.

You will need to reset the passwork to match your new acct., and I believe you will loose all the books on the machine. Best to get the old password from your friend if you want to read the books she/he has collected. Once you establish an acct. and register the Kindle, the books can be ordered directly from amazon.com "manage your kindle" or from the Kindle itself if you are near your wi-fi (wireless connection).

My sister has had one for over a year, and I still have to get the books for her. Don't worry about being dumb. Most of us were pretty lost in the beginning, too. There are also lots of discussion groups you will probably enjoy.

If you have not found your way yet, contact me in the fiction forum, and I'll try to help you all I can .

Posted on Jun 23, 2012 10:35:26 PM PDT
Dorsie says:
Yay! I just found a new Mark Schweizer liturgical mystery that came out June 16.

The Treble Wore Trouble (The Liturgical Mysteries)

This series is consistently offbeat, inventive, and hilarious. Click :-)

Posted on Jun 23, 2012 11:26:22 PM PDT
M. Ratcheson says:
I've settled into Bel Canto (P.S.), which is a public library Kindle checkout, and for which I sat on a waiting list for some time. I'm just 58 pages into it, but it's grabbing me. I knew before beginning to read it, that it was centered around a group of people who were gathered at a party for a prominent businessman's birthday, and a well admired and well known diva was performing. So this isn't a spoiler, honest. It's so far extremely interesting, the events are describe from a variety of the attendees' perspectives.

I'm just a bit conflicted by Anne Patchett. I saw her on some show a few months ago, being interviewed, and she expressed her dislike of ebooks. But then, I also believe she owns a B&M bookstore, so perhaps it's understandable? But I couldn't be reading any of her books if they weren't available as ebooks. And they are.

So she's willing to take my money, even if she doesn't respect the only platform I'm able to read them on.

And I'll give her my money for the next one I read, assuming this remarkable book continues the way it has been going. Excellent writing.

My next read will be Wolf Hall: A Novel, I actually championed it to be my book club's August selection, so there is no question it will be my next read. I'm sure it will be excellent...I'll check back in when I've made some progress with it.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 24, 2012 6:53:27 AM PDT
Mary McManus says:
My feeling regarding Ann Patchett is that the only thing of importance is whether or not you enjoy her books. If you do, then buy them. Her personal beliefs about e-books should not enter into your decision. I'm sure that many authors you like have personal beliefs on many subjects that go contrary to yours. As long as they do not annoy us by making those beliefs a part of their books, then it is irrelevant.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 24, 2012 7:14:57 AM PDT
Susan Solin says:
Hurray! Thanks Dorsie! I've been going to search for a new book in this series for a while and keep forgetting. As soon as I'm done with Death Without Company: A Walt Longmire Mystery I'll start it!

Posted on Jun 24, 2012 7:55:42 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 24, 2012 8:00:13 AM PDT
Patsy says:
@Dorsie,
Thanks so much for posting The Treble Wore Trouble (The Liturgical Mysteries), I think I set the record for fastest "ONE CLICK" purchase ever. It's my favorite series and as you stated, it is hilarious!

Last night I finished Elsie - Adventures of an Arizona Schoolteacher 1913-1916, this was a really enjoyable read and an interesting peek into what life was like for young women during those years. It's comprised of her actual diary entries and letters she wrote and received. I highly recommend this book, especially if you enjoyed If You Lived Here, I'd Know Your Name: News from Small-Town Alaska.

Posted on Jun 24, 2012 8:21:07 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 24, 2012 8:22:42 AM PDT
Coach D says:
I finished the 6th Jack Daniels book last night: Cherry Bomb (Jacqueline) by J. A. Konrath. This was my June Amazon Prime lending book. Starting next month I will be giving the Harry Potter books a read via Amazon Prime. Cherry Bomb completes my circle of Jack Daniels books that started with Shaken (Jacqueline "Jack" Daniels Series) (the 7th book), I then went back to the beginning and from book 2 on have used the Prime Lending program to catch up. Before I read the 8th and final Jack Daniels book, I will read a couple of other books that tie into this series, such as: LOCKED DOORS: A Novel of Terror (Prequel to Stirred) (Andrew Z. Thomas/Luther Kite) by Blake Crouch.

I have just started another novella series by Sean Platt/David Wright: WhiteSpace: Episode 1. I am hooked on their series Yesterday's Gone: Season One and wanted to see if WhiteSpace would be just as good. Not too sure so far, only about halfway thru the first novella. It has not caught my attention right off the bat as did Yesterday's Gone. Still, the 1st episode was free.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 24, 2012 8:52:08 AM PDT
Susan Solin says:
@David - let us know what you think of the 8th Jack Daniels Stirred (Jacqueline "Jack" Daniels/Luther Kite Thriller). I thought it was a lot darker and more violent than the others (which are pretty dark). Maybe it was just my mood...
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Kindle forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Announcement
News: Kindle for iOS Software Update 4.6
0 4 days ago
Announcement
Simon & Schuster Agreement
0 Oct 20, 2014
Announcement
Have a Kindle Question?
0 Sep 12, 2012
amazon Echo 1488 12 minutes ago
Can I view my browser history on my kindle from my pc at home? 109 13 minutes ago
FREE Books & Chat (FB&C) Sat-Mon, 20-22 December 2014 12 18 minutes ago
The Kindle and Radiation 54 25 minutes ago
Kindle App. 0 26 minutes ago
KINDLE KITCHEN #4: Home of Family, Friends and Good Food! 6557 33 minutes ago
Elephants Three at The Ģrandest Hotel - Part IV 2554 42 minutes ago
Replacement Kindle Paperwork issues 1 43 minutes ago
RAOK # 80 - Acts of Kindness Are In the Pipeline™ 9350 55 minutes ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  176
Total posts:  608
Initial post:  Jun 1, 2012
Latest post:  Jul 5, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 18 customers

Search Customer Discussions