Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

Australian kindle users thread #2 (Kiwis welcome)

This discussion has reached the maximum length permitted, and cannot accept new replies. Start a new discussion

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 4651-4675 of 10000 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Nov 2, 2012 6:51:43 PM PDT
Loz says:
Yeah I know what you mean. But in some industries, it doesn't make a difference. I'm pretty sure that people that work in pubs and the TAB's and such, don't get penalty rates for the Cup as it is not declared a public holiday due to the fact that it's the busiest betting day of the year. I'd have to check with my brother for sure though.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 2, 2012 7:25:06 PM PDT
It is officially a public holiday across Victoria, Loz--
"Please Note: All of Victoria is entitled to the Melbourne Cup public holiday unless an alternate local holiday has been arranged by non-metropolitan municipality, as listed below."
http://www.vic.gov.au/about-victoria-tourism/holidays-daylight-saving/public-holidays/victorian-non-metropolitan-public-holiday-dates.html

Only one shire (Yarriambiack) has declared a half-day holiday instead of a full day.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 2, 2012 7:34:44 PM PDT
Loz says:
I also found something else though that said it was metro only, but of course I can't find it now!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 2, 2012 7:43:22 PM PDT
Well the link I gave is the official Vic Govt website, so I think they're probably correct :-)

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 2, 2012 7:44:02 PM PDT
Angela says:
Hi Carla
I've been away from the computer for a while - busy week and come back to 217 unread posts!!! Argghh... So this may have been answered by someone else - but here goes:

By sideloading I mean that from Amazon (or other sites) I save the book (file) to my PC. When 'm ready and have Calibre open I click "Add Books" (red icon at the top left hand corner with a drown-down arrow) and import them into Calibre several at a time.

With Calibre open and kindle linked by USB to the PC you can move books of choice easily back and forth between Calibre and Kindle. That way I keep ALL books in Calibre and anything I'm currently interested in on Kindle.

It's a multi-choice system because of course you can also easily transfer between PC and Kindle `documents' folder when connected by USB.

I acquire books all the time and by cataloguing everything (almost) immediately into Calibre, when I'm for my next reading selections it's almost like browsing a library or bookshop. So much easier than browsing on the Kindle itself AND I have a backup of all my books on my PC (and a removable hard drive just for good measure).

I hope this makes sense :)

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 2, 2012 7:49:51 PM PDT
Loz says:
Yeah I know! :) When I googled yesterday the link to the Gov website mentioned metro only, but it may have been cached.

Posted on Nov 2, 2012 11:15:59 PM PDT
Latitudes says:
Thanks all. I have tried Luzme and though I find it useful for following a few specific titles I really love being able to browse the Ereaderiq Australia specific price drop section as I am buying books for a family with such disparate ages and interests I often see freebies and bargains I know will appeal to one of them and can keep someone quiet temporarily. Suncoast posts the more generally relevant great finds in this thread. At the moment the US and UK price drops only are visible and you can click on them and occasionally one is available in Australia but as this tends to just lead to gnashing of teeth it is better to avoid it for mental health :-). Hopefully they will come back on line soon as this really is a great service .

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 2, 2012 11:23:18 PM PDT
Suncoast says:
CBP - I remember this and it was fixed at the time pretty quickly. Hopefully that happens this time as well.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 2, 2012 11:35:22 PM PDT
That's when an e-holiday can ease the agony, Michelle :-)

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 2, 2012 11:59:22 PM PDT
Suncoast says:
Michelle - Unfortunately I can't post the good Australian price drops that I find on eReaderIQ until they resume covering the Australian region.

The Prices Dropped forum is good for US price drops especially if you are an e-traveller. Price competition between online e-book retailers is much greater there and price matching of specials happens all the time.

I post Australian price drops there from time to time to remind them that there are other places outside the US where there are price discounts. I always add a title FOR AUSTRALIAN KINDLE USERS ONLY and sometimes quote the US price if it is higher, or advise that the book is only available in Australia (as appropriate).

Posted on Nov 3, 2012 1:02:02 AM PDT
Angela says:
Boy I picked a bad time to be AWOL - so much interesting stuff going on here and I've only now caught up.

Just to be clear about side loading: When I purchase a book I choose `Transfer via Computer' and when I download from MYK I choose 'Download and transfer via USB'

This place is so informative and I sincerely thank all of you who have been following and posting links about Amazon closing accounts, Calibre, very helpful blogs, plugins and other mysteries. Although I've been using Calibre for some time now, I've still learnt heaps here today.

In light of all that (and even though such drastic closures seem rare), I am even more convinced that what I've been doing all along in keeping a personal back-up of my books is a good idea. I've never been convinced that the "cloud" was a fool-proof or safe way to store my stuff and now I feel somewhat vindicated for what once seemed a bit of paranoid double handling of my eBook library.

I'm now off to donate to Calibre as a `thank you' to Kovid.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 3, 2012 5:55:10 AM PDT
Alina says:
Rod, the most irritating feature you will find is that it tries to do things for you to make your life easier and won't do what it's effing told when you try to do things like delete "my favourite films" folders and stuff like that. I have deleted a bunch of software that came with it and downloaded my own software and I have a problem of it restarting all the time. I think it's restarting whenever I invoke software that I haven't purchased from Microsoft. I'm no IT expert but neither am I dumb. Windows 8 basically works like Apple, e.g. "I will take over your life and you will only use and buy and worship my software and no other software before me."

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 3, 2012 12:44:47 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Nov 3, 2012 12:52:18 PM PDT
Rod Govers says:
Alina, I thought everything had gone well on the install until I noticed those apps like 'store' didn't work when clicked. After searching for a solution, I found advice that the install disk had a 'refresh Windows files' option.

That didn't seem to work so I tried using the PC's W7 restore disks and, combined with the above (I'm not sure which was the culprit or maybe both) but every non-M$ program and data folder on both my C and D drives got deleted. And guess what? My D drive is my back up drive (yes, I've been lazy and haven't been backing up to an external drive). I've lost a couple of years of everything - pics, ebooks (including my 4 figure Calibre library), videos etc etc. I was devastated yesterday when I realised what happened.

I was up to all hours and at this point I've a W8 system running and it appears to work all right. On the bright side, I've got nice clean disks with no clutter.

So far I'm not a fan though. It might be a great UI on a tablet or phone or laptop but on a desktop, what's the point? I'm finding I'm using the 'normal' desktop all the time. And I think it runs a bit slower than W7.

One thing I hate is the Kindle W8 app - it's atrocious, ugly and just plain unfriendly (and I can't find where it stores books). I've deleted it and gone back W7 K4PC which, thankfully, works with W8 - at least for the time being.

And you're right - it locks you into the M$ 'ecosystem' just like Apple and Android by forcing you to have a M$ email address and so on.

I was tempted to reformat the disks this morning and reinstall W7 from scratch but I think I'd go insane watching very slow % bars and twirly things all day again with still no guarantee of getting it back to 'factory reset' standard.

Overall after 24 hours I wish I hadn't upgraded and I would advise people to really do a lot of research, watch YouTube videos etc. before making the leap.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 3, 2012 12:50:18 PM PDT
VickiT says:
OMG, Rod! How frustrating. One thing is for sure, I won't be upgrading to W8 any time soon. Thanks for being the guinea pig. :)

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 3, 2012 2:08:11 PM PDT
Suncoast says:
Rod - You were a very brave person to attempt to upgrade during the early days of a new operating system. My rule of thumb would be to upgrade when the first service pack was available.

Did you keep a backup image of your system drive for W7? I keep an Acronis Home image of my system drive from the first time it was installed (a clean copy) and an up-to-date copy every week. In that way I can go back to a working version within 20 minutes, or in your case move back to W7 and start again.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 3, 2012 2:19:34 PM PDT
Carla says:
Thanks, Angela.

Pretty sure I get what you mean. Reading through all the discussion on the backing up and conversion process, looks like I am in for a huge job due to all the books in my Amazon archive. Haven't done any more for the last couple of days - bit of a health crisis going on - but hope to get back into it. I think I've imported a bit over 600 into Calibre - only 5000 odd to go!

Posted on Nov 3, 2012 3:06:34 PM PDT
Suncoast says:
As I expected eReaderIQ has fixed their problem for Australia and is working again.

I will be extending my Wish List as they only track books that are watched (eg on Australians' Wish lists). I plan to extend my list to cover a lot more publisher books, even though I may have read them (especially the new releases where price movements are more likely).

My price drop pick for today is QF32 where the price has dropped from $21 at the beginning of October to Macmillan's "normal" price of $12.69. This is a real-life thriller (my ranking was 5 stars), written by the pilot Captain de Crespigny, about how a Qantas Airbus A380 super jumbo landed safely in Singapore after a catastrophic engine failure. The plane had 466 people on board and it could have been the largest disaster in aviation history.

Due to a manufacturing defect, a Rolls Royce engine exploded causing 77 penetrations of the wing and 500 impacts on the fuselage by engine shrapnel which extensively damaged wiring and caused 14 fuel leaks. Despite limited flying controls, lack of most braking and reverse thrust, the Captain landed the plane within 100 metres of the end of the runway in Singapore.

While de Crespigny was calm throughout the drama, the stress hit him and it was 3 months before he was flying again. This book reminds us how much we rely on the skill of experienced pilots and the technology and robustness of modern aeroplanes. The plane was extensively rebuilt in Singapore and has been flying again for several months.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 3, 2012 3:57:28 PM PDT
Loz says:
Wow, that sucks! Is there anything you can do to get your files back?

Looks like I will definitely be sticking with 7 for a good long while!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 3, 2012 4:07:11 PM PDT
JJulieJ says:
Rod, that's dreadful! Thanks for posting your experience - and thanks to you also, Alina. I certainly won't be upgrading to Windows 8. I can never be bothered upgrading my PCs. I get a new operating system when I buy a new PC and that's good enough for me these days. My days of having to be on the bleeding edge of technology are well over ;-).

From what you've said about Windows 8 I'm so glad I bought my new mini-notebook (11" screen and Windows 7) before it was released. I wanted a small notebook for travel, and also for use around the house and picked up an HP Pavilion for under $400 at JB HiFi. Amazing price, it was cheaper than most of the netbooks that they had in stock. JB HiFi still have these on sale if anyone is interested. It's a great little PC. It's light enough to use it sitting on my lap. My older laptop is much bigger and heavier and is over five years old, so this new one will act as a spare if/when that one gives up the ghost.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 3, 2012 4:46:05 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Nov 3, 2012 4:48:19 PM PDT
Rod Govers says:
Julie, "I can never be bothered upgrading my PCs. I get a new operating system when I buy a new PC and that's good enough for me these days."

Yes, I've always done that too. Upgradingan OS is rarely without problems. M$ is not selling a full W8 OS, they are only offering it as an upgrade.

Suncoast, I'll look at Acronis Home and other auto backup systems. I think my partner uses one that only backups recently modified/added files, or something like that, rather than doing large backups regularly.

I think my loss of all my pics and Calibre books is the most upsetting but as my daughter said to me a little while, "In the end, they really are just First World Problems." Yes, life does go on.

And as for the ebooks eventually I'll get them back which is a lot better than the risk to my 5000+ DTBs here in the fire-prone Blue Mountains particularly in this coming season.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 3, 2012 4:58:05 PM PDT
Discus49 says:
"de Crespigny"

I'm pretty sure I remember him as a "bog-rat" pilot (ie just released from training) when I was 36SQN (C130's) MO ('78-80). Almost without exception these blokes are all now very senior pilots with QANTAS or Singapore Airlines. There was a notice in the crew-room about 1980 that asked the last pilot there to put out the lights and lock up.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 3, 2012 5:22:11 PM PDT
Discus49 says:
"Upgrading an OS is rarely without problems. M$ is not selling a full W8 OS, they are only offering it as an upgrade."

I've never done a truly successful upgrade of OS without doing a clean install with the full copy of the new OS.

I treat "new" OS the same way I treated "new" drugs in anaesthesia - I would only use them if they were truly new and did something that no other drug already did. If it was just another analgesic or muscle relaxant (of which we already had dozens) then I would n't use it for a couple of years. I was vindicated on at least one occasion when, twelve months after release, the latest pain-killer was hurriedly plastered with new warnings and a huge subgroup of patients who were intolerant of it. Six months after that it was off the market.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 3, 2012 6:05:17 PM PDT
Angela says:
Carla - what a massive undertaking. I have nowhere near 5000 - yet!
My only other thought is that getting books into Calibre and converting is something that could be done over time and that the main thing is to have all your books, regardless of format safely stored on your PC and back-up drive of choice.

Thanks to Rod and Alina for the heads up on Win8.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 3, 2012 6:27:50 PM PDT
Suncoast says:
Discus - He graduated from the RAAF Academy in 1978 and took a year's training in Machi's and then went to 38 Squadron flying Caribous in PNG because the wait list for a good C130 posting was too long. Then he had a year as Air Force Attache to the GG in Canberra to Sir Zelman Cowan and Sir Ninian Stephens, then moved on because he didn't want to continue dealing with imbecile politicians and finished up flying helicopters in the Sinai with the MFO before joining Qantas.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 3, 2012 6:36:41 PM PDT
Suncoast says:
Rod - Acronis Home is pretty powerful for about $70 and allows you to schedule regular back ups in various forms:
1. Single image file of your system or other disks which restores a complete disk system.
2. Image backup of selected files and folders where you can restore individual or all files and folders (even one file if need be)
3. Non-stop protection which records ongoing changes as you work, so you can revisit any file, folder or your entire system as it was at a specific point in time.

I schedule the same backups to an internal disk (not my system or documents disk) and to an external Hard Drive. I set it up so I get an email whenever a backup run has completed.
Discussion locked

Recent discussions in the Kindle forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Announcement
NEWS: New Update for Kindle Reading Apps on Android and iOS
77 11 hours ago
Announcement
Hachette/Amazon Business Interruption
0 May 27, 2014
Announcement
Have a Kindle Question?
0 Sep 12, 2012
Freebie Books - Links Only - No Self Promotion III 3329 38 seconds ago
KINDLE KITCHEN #4: Home of Family, Friends and Good Food! 1144 48 seconds ago
SwagBucks Thread 1597 51 seconds ago
All purchased games are not working, saying they now require wifi access, I don't have a computer! 20 1 minute ago
[You are ignoring the customer who started this discussion] 9802 1 minute ago
the dudes big lebowski cookbook 5 1 minute ago
FB&C--Free Books and Chat-- Friday July 11, 2014 37 2 minutes ago
raok 77 - a glimpse of heaven? 6550 4 minutes ago
Can you block certain words 594 6 minutes ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  137
Total posts:  10000
Initial post:  May 29, 2012
Latest post:  Jun 19, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 15 customers

Search Customer Discussions