Professional restaurant supplies BDD_MSW16 Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Sixx AM Fire TV Stick Beauty Gifts Made in Italy Amazon Gift Card Offer out2 out2 out2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors Kindle Paperwhite UniOrlando Shop Now SnS
Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

Kindle for Blackberry Playbook

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 26-50 of 150 posts in this discussion
Posted on Jun 13, 2011 1:16:06 PM PDT
@flipoid, I don't think it was ever promised as an Android application. All the hype last September was about a "native" Kindle app specifically for the PB, outside the world of Android. The Android player concept was announced much later than the Kindle app. I'm very frustrated because Amazon keeps ignoring the question. It's been almost a year.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 18, 2011 4:38:26 PM PDT
What we need is the promised native PlayBook app, not an Android app.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 18, 2011 4:52:02 PM PDT
Peter Ferst says:
i just read this post and would tell you I too am in Canada. i have Torch too which is unlocked. l went ahead and installed the Kindle app by simply ignoring the bit about not being in the US. It works fine. I think they lump us in as North America.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 19, 2011 6:13:24 AM PDT
Jay O. says:
Kobo has an app. They did it in time for the launch of Playbook.
Amazon is waiting for something else. With 500,000 potential customers from the first quarter of launch, Amazon should hurry. I am switching my purchases to Kobo.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 21, 2011 4:53:01 PM PDT
I am with you!

Posted on Jun 23, 2011 8:53:20 PM PDT
Still waiting for the Kindle reader for the Playbook. I sent an inquiry on June 11th and received the following, totally uninformative response:

I understand that you're eagerly waiting for Kindle application for BlackBerry Playbook to be released.

We don't have a release date yet, but stay tuned. You can view our Kindle apps currently available and discover when we've released Kindle for BlackBerry Playbook by following the link below:

http://www.amazon.com/kindleapps

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 28, 2011 7:57:33 PM PDT
That is some bull I am getting ready to cut Amazon loose apparently they dont want my money

Posted on Jul 1, 2011 9:26:15 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 19, 2011 10:06:20 AM PDT
Alan Blake says:
According to some reports there is a Kindle app already available for the HP Tablet. If this is true I am extremely pissed with Amazon and although I recently became a Amazon Prime user, I will be stopping all purchases, not just Kindle.

I am very angry with Amazon now.

It's now confirmed. Touchbook has a Kindle App and the Playbook still does not after 3 months. You suck Amazon.

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/mobile-news/hp-touchpad-kindle-app-review/3341

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 1, 2011 7:47:11 PM PDT
I hope you are wrong

Posted on Jul 12, 2011 12:53:26 PM PDT
Jay O. says:
I have started using Kobo and am quite happy. The only problem is I can't read my older Kindle books on the Playbook. All new money is going to Kobo.

Posted on Jul 16, 2011 9:31:39 PM PDT
CINNAMON says:
I also read how Kobo has over charged ppl for e-books they advertised were for free. I've done so much research, and I'm totally convinced amazon kindle readers and kindle e-books are the best (including the price on the e-books) with lots of e-book selections.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 16, 2011 9:38:12 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 17, 2011 12:07:24 PM PDT
CINNAMON says:
I just sent my playbook back for a refund. I bridged it with my bb torch, but I honestly didn't see why would I need a playbook when I still have to connect the pb to my laptop to download music I had already downloaded to my bb torch and laptop. I was also interested in the Kindle app for the pb, but I figured why pay so much money on the pb if I'm really interested in a e-reader... I always have to connect my pb to my laptop so I rather keep using my laptop and purchase a Kindle e-reader.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 16, 2011 9:39:18 PM PDT
CINNAMON says:
the kindle app works great on my bb torch and my pc.

Posted on Jul 31, 2011 3:59:15 PM PDT
Axl LeBeer says:
Why is it on the BlackBerry supported device list the Style 9670 not listed? I downloaded OTA from Amazon and it has always worked flawlessly.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 31, 2011 5:45:40 PM PDT
flipoid says:
Joshua, probably because it's not one of the specific models that Amazon tested the app on. My Curve 8530 has never been listed, but it's the same as the 8520 (just a different wireless carrier) and the Kindle app works fine.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 18, 2011 5:47:39 AM PST
Jess says:
you can download the kindle app to your torch from http://www.amazon.com/kindlebb even if your not in the us. im in the UK and it worked for me

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 27, 2011 10:46:47 PM PST
L. Clark says:
I am interested in getting a Playbook and have enjoyed Kindle on my Blackberry phone. I am really hoping that they come out with an app for Blackberry Playbook. I was really disappointed when B & N Nook discontinued supporting Blackberry Nook apps. I hope that Kindle doesn't do the same and supports the Playbook!!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 28, 2011 7:17:09 PM PST
Peter Ferst says:
I have been with RIM/Blackberry since literally day one (1997) and still love their phones. I rushed to get the Playbook and I have become dissolutioned and bitterly disappointed with RIM. The Playbook is a beautiful device but lacks so many useful aps and that includes the Kindle App. There is not one. The web based Kindle cloud reader does not work and freezes all the time on the Playbook browser.
OS 2.0 which will include some BUT NOT ALL Android apps and hopefully the kindle android app, has now officially been put back till Feb 2012.
There are many Playbook apps but many of which are rated one star and useless. I like the bridging with my Torch for email, BBM and Calendar/scheduler and have no beef that there is no native equivalent.
Regarding business apps the doc reader and spreadsheet are VERY limited to the point you can read but do no useful work. Unlike iPad and Android tablets, that have fully functional Office type suites, the spreadsheet reader does not even permit insertion of a row or column. So for business and work-useless.
I like the size for portability and as I said earlier the device itself from a physical perspective is excellent. The OS works very well but the lack of decent apps makes it just an expensive paper weight. My wife has an iPad and though no great fan of Apple I must admit due to its eco-system it has the Playbook trailing kilometres behind!
I suggest you take a hard look at the new Kindle Fire which is similar in size and excellent build (apparently from the same manufacturer in Asia). I would exchange it in a heartbeat for my Playbook but unfortunately I am in Canada and it is not available here. With that tablet you will have no problems reading e-books LoL
Hope this helps.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 28, 2011 7:29:32 PM PST
Alan Blake says:
Hi.

I am running OS/2 which has a version of the Android shell. I use the Kindle App for Android daily. It is fully functional I have bought and downloaded new books, and for a Beta pretty stable. I agree with your comments about RIM over the PB, but would include Amazon in this particular critisism as they promised a Kindle app for PB before it was launched.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 28, 2011 7:34:44 PM PST
[Deleted by the author on Nov 28, 2011 7:36:46 PM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 29, 2011 12:40:36 PM PST
Peter Ferst says:
Yes I agree Amazon made big announcements pre-launch of the Playbook and never produced the app and I fear never will.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 29, 2011 12:46:45 PM PST
I agree, Peter. If you search for "playbook + kindle" you'll see tons of references to the September 2010 announcement. Breathless, almost. They couldn't gush enough about their excitement to be developing a Kindle app for the Playbook.

My theory? After many many emails to customer service and asking around, I think they produced a Kindle app for the Playbook alright, but they simply called it "The Kindle Fire." They didn't develop diddly-squat for the Playbook, they crippled the cloud reader, and turned all of their attention toward developing the Kindle Fire which is essentially a Playbook without cameras, running Android. It's virtually the same form factor, and the rumors were that it was made in the same factory as the Playbook.

I finally traded in my Playbook and used the money to buy a Kindle Fire instead. Reading Kindle books on the Playbook was the *ONLY* thing that kept me hanging for so long, until I finally realized it was a dead duck.

I'm very disappointed that Amazon gushed about it so much through all their press releases, then dropped the whole idea on its head.

Along with RIM's lack of support for other developers on the Playbook (where was Pandora, Evernote, Netflix, etc.?) -- Amazon really did Playbook owners a disservice. I hate to break it to you, but I think after 14 months of lying, they're not about to start telling the truth now.

Posted on Nov 29, 2011 12:53:50 PM PST
Peter Ferst says:
I agree that the OS is a rock and have no problems with it. The multi-tasking is superb but apps no. I must disagree, RIM wanted this to be a tablet for all people both consumer and business. If you look at the apps there are very very few business orientated ones. Not to repeat my previous post, there no half decent word processor app, no decent spreadsheet app a few slide show apps, these being the back-bone of any business productivity tools. To make matters worse, if we want to by pass this and go to the cloud using Google Docs and their productivity tools, well you cannot-they do not work in the Playbook browser. So for a business orientated tabled no. However the Blackberry apps world is swamped with games and now an expanding library of generic e-books that have a self contained reader. So sorry, this is not a business orientated tablet since the apps do not support it.

In a previous post a writer mentioned he is using a Beta OS 2.0 and Kindle reader works fine. That is good news for when it comes out (not to sound sour about RIM missing delivery dates) in Feb 2012. Hopefully the Android eco-system that does have useful business tools will be included since looking at some developer blogs not all Android apps will be ported over (which for the garbage stuff will be good news LoL). So playbook is still a paper weight in the biz world but ok to listen to music, watch videos and play games.

Posted on Nov 29, 2011 1:08:15 PM PST
Peter Ferst says:
Buck, I absolutely agree with you. My problem is they are not offering nor said when I can purchase the fire in Canada. If I could get it my Playbook is toast.There has been many confirms that indeed the form factor is the same because it is the same manufacturer. The name was mentioned but I do not recall it. I said in a previous post that I am NOT an Apple fanboy, quite the contrary I have never bought an Apple product in my life (I started with computers back in 1978 built my own Heath kit computer) but my wife has the iPad 2 and I must be honest enough to say it is a suburb device chock a block with great apps, both for home and business. A word processor/spreadsheet that approach that of Micro Soft Office + + +. I prefer for mobility the Playbook-Kindle foot print and if Apple brought one out I would stand in line to get it if I could not get the Amazon Fire.

The good news for me is I bought the second generation Kindle three years ago and that is what I use to read on but for travel I want it on a tablet and by BB Torch is too small for long reading.

Posted on Nov 29, 2011 6:30:01 PM PST
Emily says:
I know it's frustrating waiting for them to come out with the release for the Android App's so we can have the Kindle App, however Amazon does have the Kindle Cloud Reader at https://read.amazon.com/ and that allows me to access Kindle books I previously had and read them online and offline as well. Just make sure when you go to the website you do it in portrait mode instead of landscape when you sign you and you would be able to access your kindle books. This is a great option until they get the actual Kindle app for us on the blackberry playbook.
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Kindle forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  55
Total posts:  150
Initial post:  Apr 17, 2011
Latest post:  Apr 7, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 16 customers

Search Customer Discussions