Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

Harry Potter on Kindle - Image Alignment Issues

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 26-50 of 56 posts in this discussion
Posted on Jun 14, 2012 5:07:09 AM PDT
At least the US editions have the illustrations...the UK editions do not unfortunately.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 16, 2012 9:47:40 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 16, 2012 9:52:15 PM PDT
Brian Doyle says:
For what it's worth I did contact Pottermore's support. They said "For more information about your issue that the images are off centre, please contact Amazon - Contact Amazon page." which wasn't very helpful especially since, apparently Amazon doesn't reply to support emails it would seem.

Let me assure you, I don't expect Amazon support to rush in and fix it for me, I expect someone whose had the problem out there has found a quick and dirty fix for it. After all, it's not happening to everyone using a e-ink Kindle, is it? Obviously not, if it was so much more people would be posting here!

Edit: Wait, where is here? Kindle Forum? Why is this being posted in the Kindle Forum? Ooooh, that explains the tone and why people were dismissive of the original post. I found this page with Google, see, seems it's the only place this problem is being discussed you see. It should probably be under one of the books, having such a specific issue in the general Kindle forum seems wrong.

Posted on Jun 16, 2012 10:12:00 PM PDT
Sue says:
If you open the Harry Potter books on the Kindle Fire the picture is centered. I only looked at the first picture in the first book and it was fine. I did not have time to to check all the pictures in all the books because I have to work and have things to do at home. I am just assuming that they all are centered on the Kindle Fire.

I am so relieved that the pictures are now centered. I am now able to cancel all my therapy sessions and save the money I would have had to pay for them and now put the money toward my knee replacement surgery. I can also go into surgery knowing that the pictures are indead going to be centered. My doctor is also happy that I will not be upset about this also. I will not have to resort to reading the DTB, less to pack for when I go to the hospital.

So all the people who have Kindle Fires can celebrate that the pictures are centered. Maybe we can ask Obama to have a national Harry Potter centered picture day (only on the Kindle Fires). We could have parades, picnics and food. I am just so happy that the pictures are centered and I do not have to suffer with off-centered pictures that I am just getting carried away.

I have not checked that audio books yet. I am listening to Stephen King's Bag of Bones. You can not mix Bag of Bones and Harry Potter. That could disrupt the space-time contumin and then where would we be.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 16, 2012 11:21:36 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 16, 2012 11:44:54 PM PDT
Brian Doyle says:
"No problems here" is not a helpful reply because I can see, with my own two eyes, that there is a problem on my end. Additionally I'm using a Kindle Kindle not a Kindle Fire. I understand you must think it petty to want the images to be centered but hey, I just paid 50 dollars for new versions of books I already own. I don't think it's much to ask that they be good versions of them outside of their significantly reduced weight which is actually pretty great.

Coincidentally no amount of deleting and redownloading fixes the issue, nor does a restart, nor does a system reset to factory standards. Since I only have one Kindle I can not test to see if there's some defect with the kindle itself, however I'm thinking it'd be the files themselves that are wrong. Now, I'd have to know more about how Pottermore operates, but it seems to transfer copies over the Amazon as opposed to telling Amazon "such and such now owns it, go wild," atleast I'd hope that's the case since sending a book to an Amazon account takes up one of eight "Downloads." In fact, considering that I believe Pottermore is supposed to watermark books in some way if I remember right, I'd think it'd probably be one of the only ways to do it short of Amazon handling the watermarking of individual copies or, alternatively, not bothering with it. Now two basic ways to look at that, one that the watermarking causes some errors due to whatever it puts in, which seems highly unlikely considering that a name shouldn't do that, or that the first time it sent the books to my Amazon account it screwed up all 7 of the transfers, which also seems unlikely because the 7 transfers were done separately.

Very tricky issue, doesn't help that Pottermore, Amazon and others are completely apathetic or at the very least completely sure it's not their fault and they don't have to care.

Posted on Jun 16, 2012 11:47:38 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 17, 2012 12:48:01 AM PDT
Brian Doyle says:
Ha! Oh yes! I just found definitive proof it's the file, not the kindle. I just realized Amazon has an in browser book reader and, upon opening one of the books I found that the image was incorrectly alligned on that version as well! That rules out the possibility it's the Kindle acting up, which is a real good thing to rule out all things considered since it was one of the few constants in the problem. Perfect! Now to bring this news to Pottermore, assault them with good logic, and demand they work out why my Amazon account was sent bad copies and, if possible from their end, comp me some downloads so I can delete the current ones on my Amazon account and acquire replacements without spending my downloads. Simple all things considered.

I uploaded the image at https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-g9zkfIlH2y4/T92ARnWUEfI/AAAAAAAAASk/r0_VHwZii5U/w1380-h669-k/HarryPotterError.jpg by the way if you want a look.

Posted on Jun 16, 2012 11:53:50 PM PDT
Expelliarmus says:
Who buys Harry Potter to look at the pictures???

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 17, 2012 12:20:37 AM PDT
Brian Doyle says:
Do you want to have a serious conversation on the topic of chapter images and how important they are to the experience or are you just making a snide comment for the sake of making snide comments? Let me pretend that that's a serious question for a second and answer it honestly because I think it's worth discussing. How many people read Harry Potter for images? Probably none I'd imagine, but that doesn't mean that the images aren't part of the magic of the books. Part of what you think about when you think about Harry Potter, responsible for much of the imagery you recall before there were movies to go to for that, always a nice little taste of what's to come the first time, and a nice little reminder every time after that. I'd say that the chapter illustrations hold a lot of nostalgic appeal for me and I sort of think it just doesn't feel the same without the images. That's all.

Posted on Jun 17, 2012 12:35:13 AM PDT
Expelliarmus says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

Posted on Jun 17, 2012 1:50:54 AM PDT
I thought I'd read some time ago that Amazon had announced that it would accept books in epub format and then convert them. Of course I don't know if that's the case here.

Posted on Jun 17, 2012 2:02:38 AM PDT
I'm reminded of an infamous line from a very wise, old sage - "Of course it is happening inside your head, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?" ;)

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 17, 2012 3:40:23 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 17, 2012 3:40:54 AM PDT
What's that (ie. your post) in relation to, ppcsue?

Posted on Jun 17, 2012 9:15:45 AM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Jun 17, 2012 3:34:03 PM PDT]

Posted on Jun 17, 2012 9:31:51 AM PDT
Here's the thing.

I don't care if you don't care about the correct alignment of the images. But I do.

And so should Pottermore and Amazon.

If this wasn't a key content for Amazon it wouldn't have gone the extra mile and agreed with the unusual buying process that Pottermore imposed. So Amazon should be concerned how a key content is displayed on their device.

And for Pottermore, they are fully responsible for the quality of their product.

The original EPUB file doesn't have this issue. Something happened during the conversion the caused this issue: amazon conversion tools have a problem that caused this or the file used to convert to AWZ wasn't fully proofed. It's not my problem to figure this out.

AMAZON AND POTTERMORE should BOTH care about this issue, analyze what could have happened and come up with a solution.

I am the customer that like many many other customers have waited a lot to read (again) these books on EBOOK format and it's pretty frustrating not having a flawless version to attend my expectations.

For those who care about this, there is a dirty fix while Pottermore and Amazon don't wake up. Download the original EPUB file and use Calibre to convert it to MOBI and send it to your kindle email as a personal document.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 17, 2012 9:38:57 AM PDT
>>>>AMAZON AND POTTERMORE should BOTH care about this issue, analyze what could have happened and come up with a solution.

Absolutely. Have you expressed your concerns and disappointment through their channels?

We're customers here - the best way to reach Amazon is to send an email to kindle-feedback@amazon.com. You'll have to contact Pottermore through that website.

Posted on Jun 17, 2012 10:09:15 AM PDT
Chris Miller says:
Just checked on my Kindle Touch and the pictures at the beginning of the chapters are all properly aligned. They came from Pottermore properly aligned.

Posted on Jun 17, 2012 10:30:18 AM PDT
Retta says:
I was going to check my copy, but from reading the above post I found out that there are no illustrations in my British version. Bummer!!

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 17, 2012 10:56:08 AM PDT
Jazzy_Jeff says:
And who are you to tell anyone how they should act on a public forum? If you don't like it put them on ignore. Pretty simple.

I think it is pretty funny that you are lumping EVERYONE in the community into one category.

Posted on Jun 17, 2012 11:00:44 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 17, 2012 11:02:36 AM PDT
Yes Cassie, I have. Since march. But they keep pointing fingers to each other.
The idea of creating this thread was so I could find out if I was the only one having this issue.

Today I've sent the link for this thread to their channels to show that this is a real issue. I hope this time they can BOTH figure out what is happening, fix it and release an update.

Chris, the issue is with the AWZ format used by Kindle with e-ink screens. The Kindle fire uses a different file format more suitable for LCD screens, with color and different layouts, the KF8 (Kindle Format 8).

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 17, 2012 11:17:02 AM PDT
It sounds like you've done everything you can to encourage both Pottermore and Amazon to work together to solve this. Best of luck.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 17, 2012 12:17:04 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 17, 2012 12:18:21 PM PDT
Chris Miller says:
Leonardo, I do NOT have a Kindle Fire. As I stated in my post I have a Kindle Touch. This is a Kindle Touch: Kindle Touch, Wi-Fi, 6" E Ink Display - includes Special Offers & Sponsored Screensavers This is a Kindle Fire: Kindle Fire, Full Color 7" Multi-touch Display, Wi-Fi My KINDLE TOUCH has an e-ink screen. The chapter pics are all aligned properly in my Harry Potter ebooks.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 17, 2012 12:28:49 PM PDT
I have a KK, like Leonardo, and the pics (at least in the first book) are left-aligned.

I see "Chapter X" centered; a left-aligned pic on the next line; the chapter title centered on the next line; and then the first line of the chapter on the following line.

It looks a bit odd, but I also think it looks odd that there's not an extra line between the chapter title and the first line of text.

Posted on Jun 17, 2012 1:01:42 PM PDT
Sorry Chris, my mistake, I must have read too quickly your post.

But as you've stated the kindle touch is Kindle Format 8 (AZW8) compatible. Your books may be all AZW8. That would explain why you don't have this issue and some of us have.

Anyway, I hope Amazon and Pottermore find a proper solution soon.

Posted on Jun 17, 2012 1:23:50 PM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Jul 1, 2012 9:40:04 AM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 17, 2012 3:15:28 PM PDT
Jazzy_Jeff says:
You don't know what you are talking about. Oh well...

Posted on Jun 17, 2012 3:26:32 PM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Jul 1, 2012 9:40:12 AM PDT]
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Thank you for your support of Amazon Discussion Forums. Due to the changing needs of Amazon Forums, we have decided to stop supporting the ‘Active discussions in related forums’ feature in order to focus on providing the most value for our customers.  

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  24
Total posts:  56
Initial post:  Mar 29, 2012
Latest post:  Jun 17, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 4 customers

Search Customer Discussions