Industrial-Sized Deals Books Holiday Gift Guide Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_plcc_6M_fly_beacon Indie for the Holidays egg_2015 Fire TV Stick Beauty Gifts Gifts Under $50 Amazon Gift Card Offer minions minions minions  Amazon Echo Starting at $84.99 Kindle Black Friday Deals TheGoodDinosaur Outdoors Gift Guide on HTL
Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

How to turn the Kindle Paperwhite off

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 26-50 of 319 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Nov 5, 2012 1:31:09 AM PST
@Golf11: I have travelled all around the world several times with different airlines, and I have always just put my Kindles to sleep - with wireless switched off of course. I've not had any problems with staff. I always do it before they ask.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 5, 2012 6:05:47 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 5, 2012 6:10:09 AM PST
Randall says:
@John Hodgkinson -- yea, some airlines are fine and I experience that too, but I was responding to the question: WHY one would ever NEED to turn it off? To me that's like asking why or why don't people eat candy or drink beer...personal preference, but in this instance the need for the Kindle to be off, truly off, can be mandatory, even though not always enforced or enforced evenly. Here in NYC they tend to be a bit more pissy about it... That aside, it should be able to be turned off, even if it's just because. :)

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 5, 2012 5:52:05 PM PST
thinktank says:
I got my new Kindle Paperwhite on Friday and was having the same problems.
I was able to put it to sleep mode. But whenever i tried to turn it off by holding it for 7 seconds as advised by Amazon it just kept turning back on itself after blinking black and white for sometime.
I tried holding the power button for 5,6,7,3,,4,10,15 etc. seconds but nothing worked.
I talked to the customer service but they weren't able to help either.
So, am getting the Kindle replaced.

Posted on Nov 5, 2012 6:14:25 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 6, 2012 4:04:42 AM PST
T. Gray says:
It is true that some airlines request and require you to turn off your devices completely. I have been present when the flight attendants said to put devices in airplane mode and also told everyone to turn off things completely and specify that they don't just mean airplane mode. They say specifically to turn off devices completely. This device NEEDS the ability to be turned completely off. And assurance it can and how to is needed. Not comments negating the need. That doesn't help the OP. Are there definitive directions on this?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 5, 2012 8:43:35 PM PST
Nobody says:
Just hold the on/off button for a few seconds and let go. The PW will turn off. If you hold the button too long, you'll reboot the PW which will just turn it on again, so hold the button only about three seconds, maybe four.

Posted on Nov 5, 2012 9:00:54 PM PST
thinktank says:
I tried 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, ........., 9, 10, 11. 20-30 times in total. nothing works.

Posted on Nov 13, 2012 9:42:34 PM PST
Vodil says:
I don't use mine for weeks at a time when I am in a "real" book mood. I'd like to shut it off so the battery does not die. One would think that is what an off switch should do.

Posted on Nov 29, 2012 5:47:19 PM PST
I am having the same problem.

I bought the paperwhite yesterday and was able to shut it off last night, but today I cannot. This is after 7 seconds. It is resetting.

Maybe it's a software bug if it's supposed to wait to do this reset after 15 seconds?

Posted on Nov 29, 2012 7:51:44 PM PST
I am chatting with Amazon customer service right now.

First thing the person (Abhishek) had me do is restart by holding the power button for 30 seconds and releasing.

Abhishek said, "Please check that 7 seconds option now.....sometimes if the kindle is with special offers then it wakes up the kindle."

I tried it and it worked, it shut off.

I asked, "So in the future if it happens again, I should restart?"

The response, "Daniel, it is not a problem, if the kindle is with special offers then it wakes up the kindle for special offers."

I said, "But I would want to be able to shut it off to save the battery."

Abhishek said, "Whenever, a special offers get delivered to the kindle, the kindle gets on.
I'm sorry but we can't turn it off. If that would be an option then no one would have bought kindle without special offers."

I lost my patience and ended the conversation at that point.

Nevertheless I've been able to turn it on and off a couple of times.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 12, 2012 9:26:45 PM PST
mura says:
thank you Daniel for your input.

I followed your steps -- restart kindle - it resolved the issue, i am able to turn off kindle now.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 13, 2012 6:57:53 PM PST
Yes this problem has not recurred for me and I use the device every day.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 13, 2012 7:15:37 PM PST
greymouse says:
Interesting. I've assumed that wireless communication with Amazon's mother ship was totally shut down whenever a Kindle was in sleep mode. If not, being on standby has got to reduce the battery charge.

Could it be that the wireless connection has to be shut off before the device will completely shut off?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 28, 2012 11:06:54 AM PST
Just Sayin' says:
Mine does the same thing that you're describing and I started looking for a forum where this might be answered! Thanks for posting.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 28, 2012 11:18:40 AM PST
B. Marks says:
When you open the cover it wakes it up if it's asleep and turns it on if it's off. That's how the cover works.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 4, 2013 4:49:53 PM PST
Joel says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 4, 2013 4:54:43 PM PST
Joel says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 4, 2013 6:25:36 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 4, 2013 6:28:47 PM PST
The Blade says:
There is no such thing as "burn-in" with an eink screen. Google eink for full details on how an eink screen works, but the short version is that what you are seeing are minute particles that have not been completely released by the screen and are still temporarily visible.

Experience with eink since 2007 tells me that this improves with time (i.e. worse when new). You can decide how often to refresh your screen via a setting on the device. The more often that you refresh, the less of this will be seen [Edit: with refresh set at every page, I don't see it at all on my PW], but the more battery will be used.

Again, for a full detailed explanation google eink and read about the process. The appearance of this effect is explainable and normal, but not burn-in. Burn-in isn't physically possible with eink.

Posted on Feb 4, 2013 9:26:54 PM PST
Max Logan says:
I have the same problem with on/off.
For me its a HUGE question, because the battery gets drained very fast.

Also, when I put Kindle into my bag and it shifts inside, the screen goes on even though I don't fully open the cover.

I am considering to get it replaced :(
(I had classical Kindle before and liked it much better)

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 5, 2013 7:49:28 AM PST
[Deleted by the author on Feb 5, 2013 7:52:06 AM PST]

Posted on Feb 13, 2013 8:24:40 AM PST
bmw says:
after reading all this I am having trouble turn mine completely off. I don't have mine in a cover. I have tried all suggestions and it still turns back on. I am like one of the other owners, had a previous Kindle and I just had to hold the on/off button a few seconds longer than the sleep screen and it turned completely off. I think it is off and then within 3 seconds it comes back on on this Paper White Kindle

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 13, 2013 8:33:23 AM PST
Just Peachy says:
Have you tried a hard reboot?

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 13, 2013 8:41:23 AM PST
bmw says:
Just did and then I was able to turn it off completely. Hope this sloves the problem. Thanks for all the info everyone.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 19, 2013 2:56:26 PM PST
Rismi says:
I don't want to sound impolite, no way... just I don't understand. How do you know that it turns on when it shifts inside your bag? Does it open or what? I am concerned because I take to and from work since I have to take a long journey via public transportation. I only got it yesterday and the battery came half way and already today it was very low. I was not sure if it was because the WiFi had stayed on or what. Thanks in advance for your kind reply.

Posted on Feb 24, 2013 3:17:08 AM PST
C. Clarke says:
Just wondering if Amazon monitor these posts and their customers' concerns/problems and would be able to post up a definite reply for us? I have the same problem with my new PaperWhite that I received for Christmas. I don't use it that often but when i want to, the battery is dead as it has somehow not been completely closing down... Grateful for everyone posting their tips and advice but don't you think Amazon could maybe give us all a definitive answer/facts?!

Posted on Feb 24, 2013 3:43:40 AM PST
Amazon seldom monitors these discussions, although Kevin G, the offical Amazon Community Manager, occasionally chimes in. He generally recommends that you post this sort of question/problem on the help forums. Both users and Amazon employees monitor and respond to many questions there.

I've never had a problem with my PW failing to shut off when I close the case and my battery life has been outstanding. I use this case: Kindle Paperwhite Case, MoKo Premium Cover with Auto Wake / Sleep for Amazon All-New Kindle Paperwhite (Fits All 2012, 2013 and 2015 Versions), BLACK which supports the auto sleep/wake function and never even touch the power button on mine. I get at least 20-to 25 hours of actual reading time between charges and have never even received a low battery warning. I read 3 to 5 hours a day and routinely re-charge mine every five to seven days with the charge indicator registering about 1/3 charge remaining. Mine is always in airplane mode with wifi off and my light setting is usually at 12-14. The light doesn't turn off until a minute or so after I close the case, which I assume is normal. It's never caused a problem so I've never checked into it.
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Kindle forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
What's New in IOS Version 4.12?
56 1 day ago
Introducing Fire-Setting an Entirely New Standard for a Tablet under $50
0 Sep 18, 2015
Introducing the All-New Fire HD: Powerful Tablets Designed for Entertainment
0 Sep 18, 2015
Welcome to the Kindle Discussion Forum - A Congregation of Kindle Enthusiasts
0 Mar 20, 2015
Suggestions for Replacement Kindle With BUILT-IN LIGHTED SCREEN? 21 1 minute ago
Fire and Texting 2 7 minutes ago
The Quirkier, The Better! Bring Your Dogs, Cats, Exploding Chickens, So Geese, Fighting Turkeys, Goats, Fluffy Sheep, Cows, Velvet Monkeys, Big Honking Bats, Fishlettes And Cherie! Tally Ho! 4720 9 minutes ago
Personal Documents Failing Download 0 12 minutes ago
It's After Midnight and I Just Opened a Bottle of Wine 4413 15 minutes ago
Google Play on Fire Kids Edition? 0 23 minutes ago
My adult books are showing up on my kids kindle hd help! 91 25 minutes ago
No confederate flag but a isis flag available 13 25 minutes ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  129
Total posts:  319
Initial post:  Oct 9, 2012
Latest post:  21 days ago

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 16 customers

Search Customer Discussions