Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it DJ Shadow Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro STEM
Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

kindle prime lending library

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 26-50 of 234 posts in this discussion
Posted on Dec 22, 2011 2:22:53 PM PST
Eats Paste says:
Let me double check...hmm...oh...yes...nowhere in my comment did I say that I should be given this benefit. Only that it's disappointing that it is not included.

I have been a paid Prime subscriber since the program was rolled out and was up until the time that we moved in together. As it hardly makes sense to have two subscriptions at the same house, when mine came up for renewal, I let it expire.
However, if one is going to advertise a benefit as being available to Prime members, then either it SHOULD be made available to Prime members or it should say straight out that it only for the original subscriber.
I believe I am a Prime member, am I not? That is how it is worded smack on the front of the Kindle Store page devoted to the Lending Library. If it said 'with a paid subscription', perhaps I'd have made a different comment.

A sense of "entitlement" would be ...hey! I own two Kindles and a DX! I should get books for free for being so awesome!"

Instead, I simply think one should specify that apparently, some Prime 'members' are more 'member-y' than others upfront. Sorry that doesn't meet with your personal approval.

Actually, I'm not, but.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 22, 2011 2:31:08 PM PST
I guess this isn't clear enough, so I added some *****.

"Kindle Owners' Lending Library for Amazon Prime Members

The Kindle Owners' Lending Library allows eligible U. S. Amazon Prime members who own Kindle devices to choose from thousands of books to borrow for free -- including more than 100 current and former New York Times Bestsellers -- as frequently as a book a month, with no due dates."

************Eligible Prime members -- paid Amazon Prime, paid Amazon student, one-month free trial, and customers receiving a free month of Prime benefits with a Kindle Fire **********-- must own a Kindle device that is registered to the same Amazon.com account as the eligible Prime account in order to access this benefit.

Posted on Dec 22, 2011 2:48:54 PM PST
Eats Paste says:
For the third time...no, it isn't clear 'enough'.

It is what it is, ultimately...but when you have to go four layers in to find the 'fine' print... (Go to the Kindle Store...go to the "Lending Library" page...click on a book 'cause it's nowhere on the front page...click on the 'Help & FAQ's' link because it's also nowhere on the section of the book's page devoted to the Lending Library')...then no, I don't consider that to be 'clear enough'. Obviously you do. (claps politely)

The fact that it is there is not in dispute. The fact that no mention is made "straight out", as I said, is what disappoints me.

And again. I haven't noticed anyone yet that said "gimme".
It is allowable (in normal human circles) to comment that a thing is disappointing or poorly designed AND have it be understood that you are not therefore demanding that thing be given to you.
The fact that you consider, apparently, any critical commentary at all to be a demand or 'entitlement', quite frankly, says a lot more about your mindset than mine.

Posted on Dec 22, 2011 3:08:34 PM PST
The account holder who pays for Prime should get the benefits. If you want the same benefits then you should pay for it.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 22, 2011 3:26:50 PM PST
Eats Paste says:
H.Junkie, once again...no one said otherwise. I said it was disappointing that wasn't the case. That's not the same as saying 'it should be changed to suit me'.

So apparently no one is allowed to comment on this board unless it's done to shine Amazon's shoes. Very constructive, fanboys.
I assure you that I love Amazon, but it's never occurred to me that if you make a comment that doesn't involve bootlicking, it means you hate Amazon/America/babies/etc.

Interesting point of view. It's nice, by the way, to see everyone so welcoming and judgemental (cough) I mean, open-minded. Would it be more agreeable to you if I rescinded the comment and replaced it with 'thankee, Massa Amazon, you are my personal God?'

I won't, but it sounds as though that's all that this board is for, fawning and people who have small user questions that you can beneficiently deign to answer, that you might revel in thy power and self-glory and knowledge.

Well, congratulations on being You.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 22, 2011 3:31:43 PM PST
King Al says:
It's easy to see why. Amazon has to pay the publisher for each book you borrow based on the price of the book. Even at 1 book per month, Amazon could be paying the publisher $50 per year (if you borrow only expensive books and borrow one every month.) If Amazon allowed non-paying Prime members to borrow, Amazon could easily be paying the publisher over $100 per year.

Posted on Dec 22, 2011 3:33:02 PM PST
You can post any comments you want just as others can post what they want. Amazon's policies are what they are and page after page of whinning that they aren't something else is unproductive.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 22, 2011 4:25:20 PM PST
Eats Paste says:
Well...it's 'whining', first of all...people will be more likely to understand the insults you throw at them if you learn to spell them correctly...

But secondly, unless you're trying to initiate some sort of deep philosophical debate, of COURSE policies 'are what they are'. Any thing is what it is. You're hardly breaking new ground there.

But to say that speaking about them is 'unproductive' is a sad way to look at the world,frankly. Replace 'Amazon' with anything else.
"Barack Obama/George Bush/China/Planned Parenthood/Bank of America/whoever's policies are what they are" and it's unproductive to say something if you don't agree with them?? Really? Most sensible people understand that is about the only way not involving large-scale violence that things change.

Any company that solicits feedback is generally welcoming any kind of feedback (unlike a large chunk of its customers).
It might be that if enough people comment on a policy, it MIGHT change if there is sufficient leeway and profit for them to do so. It might not. That's okay too. That's what the market is for. However, if they hear from no one in either the positive or the negative, they certainly do have no reason to make additions/deletions/etc to their policies. If you don't understand that that's not a bad thing, then really, there's no help for you and discussion IS unproductive and pointless.

King Al is the only one of you who had anything 'productive' ,since you like that word, to say about the topic. Everyone else is just crying about entitlements (not the only board on which they've done so) and making assumptions as to things that weren't actually said.
I love a good discussion and the Kindle AND Amazon, so one would have thought this would be as awesome as many of the other forums. Not the case, however, though I'm sure you like it fine (see last post).
Thanks, King Al! I doubt they are paying that much, but it's more than possible, and there are other factors that would both support and mitigate that idea, but it's a valid point, so thanks for your input! Merry Christmas/Happy New Year!

Posted on Dec 22, 2011 4:42:06 PM PST
Well...it's 'whining', first of all...people will be more likely to understand the insults you throw at them if you learn to spell them correctly...

maybe the person meant whinnying since the post was so neigh-gative

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 22, 2011 4:48:05 PM PST
Eats Paste says:
Very witty. :)
Unfortunately, even if that's what they meant, they STILL spelled it wrong. I don't think it's 'negativity' to point out that if you choose to take it upon yourself to insult someone, it makes YOU look bad if you can't spell it. But to each their own, after all.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 22, 2011 4:58:26 PM PST
I never correct people's grammar or spelling, because, if I do, I am going to screw something up. It's karma or something.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 22, 2011 5:15:16 PM PST
Eats Paste says:
Yes, that DOES happen. Frequently in the very same post where you're doing the correcting.
I don't normally do it at all. It happens. No one knows how to spell every word, your keyboard might stick, who knows.

When people are throwing insults and misspelling them... I sometimes make an exception for that.

I did here because the response was so aggressive right out of the gate. It's allowed, but that doesn't mean you 'should' do it. You can exchange views without that, but if that's all the level that someone operates on, I ,for good or bad, am willing to return such behavior with the type of response that it merits.
Obviously one would RATHER have an actual conversation (well, I would anyway...some people will never be happy unless they're arguing), but there it is.
Happy Holidays for you, Becky!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 22, 2011 5:32:23 PM PST
Happy Holidays, Jennifer :)

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 23, 2011 12:27:11 PM PST
Actually it's based sometimes on the price of the book and sometimes on the number of times the book is checked out. There are different agreements with different publishers and/or authors.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 23, 2011 1:26:23 PM PST
King Al says:
Good point. Now that I double check, it's either a lump sum or a fixed fee per book based on the price. From Amazon's press release at http://phx.corporate-ir.net/phoenix.zhtml?c=176060&p=irol-newsArticle&ID=1625426&highlight=

"For the vast majority of titles, Amazon has reached agreement with publishers to include titles for a fixed fee. In some cases, Amazon is purchasing a title each time it is borrowed by a reader under standard wholesale terms as a no-risk trial to demonstrate to publishers the incremental growth and revenue opportunity that this new service presents."

I'm not sure that any publisher agree to the fixed fee model unless they Amazon is paying it more money than it projects to make via the payment-per-loan model. (This also assumes that the publisher agreed to this payment model in the first place -- it has been reported that Amazon included many publishers in the program without permission.)

In other words, the lump sum model may cost Amazon more money than the payment-per-loan model.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 23, 2011 1:48:48 PM PST
Eats Paste says:
Surely Amazon has also done a projection as to whether they feel the fixed-price or per-piece model will be more profitable.
Are the agreements done by title or by publisher? In other words, does Amazon negotiate a blanket agreement with Acme Publishers that applies to any title their house provides, or do they negotiate the lump-sum/per piece rate individually for each title the house controls?

Posted on Dec 23, 2011 2:12:00 PM PST
To the best of my knowledge, Amazon negotiates different agreements with different publishers and authors. And I don't think any of the big 6 agreed to join in any large part. In other words they may have offered some titles with some set of agreement rules. They may have done this to see how it goes.

Individual authors (such as myself) are offered a standard contract through their KDP program. They don't negotiate it separately with each author.

Now for authors published by Amazon (encore) I'm guessing they are enrolled as part of the overall contract. HOWEVER, since these are individual contracts, they may have negotiated separate or special clauses. Those remain private, however.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 26, 2011 9:31:07 PM PST
D. Kessler says:
how do you return them?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 27, 2011 9:39:04 AM PST
Eats Paste says:
Are you asking how to return Kindle books,D Kessler?

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 2, 2012 11:28:08 AM PST
Hi my name is christy , we just bought a kindle touch for our son. We are on the free trial for the prime now. The question I have is it worth the eighty bucks a month. It also looks like some of you are not as happy as you could be. How does this thing really work.i really don't want to be wasting my money. Need some help here....thanks!

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 2, 2012 11:31:14 AM PST
Scroll to the bottom of this page, click on "Amazon Prime" and read all about it. Nobody here can tell you if it's worth it until you fully understand what it really is. And even then, only you can decide if it's worth it to you.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 2, 2012 3:04:52 PM PST
Eats Paste says:
It's not one-size fits all...some people will not get their money's worth, others will. It depends on how you shop. You can already get free shipping, which is the main benefit, without paying for Prime. You just have to place a minimum order. But if you order a lot, or if you'd rather not wait to get to the minimum order, it could be great.
I personally can say that I've had Prime for several years now, both paid and on a 'share' with my fiance. Prior to Prime there were several years I ordered nothing at all, and since then I've not ha a year like that.
So it has certainly worked for THEM! :)
In the month leading up to Christmas I placed twelve orders, and the 'free' shipping was well worth it.
But every family's shopping habits are different. You know yours.
It's true, there are some things that some people are disappointed with. That's not the same as demanding change or claiming that one is entitled to more, as a lot of people seem to have convinced themselves. But overall, it seems most people are pretty glad they did it.
Read up on the offer! There is also a free one-month trial offered for most any new subscriber. You might certainly want to try it if the terms look good to you!

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 2, 2012 3:06:55 PM PST
☼Becky☼ says:
It's 80 a year, not a month.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 2, 2012 3:07:50 PM PST
Just Peachy says:
It is not $80 per month! It's per year! The main purpose is free 2-day shipping on most Amazon items.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 2, 2012 3:08:13 PM PST
Just Peachy says:
you type faster than I do :)
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Kindle forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  94
Total posts:  234
Initial post:  Nov 4, 2011
Latest post:  Mar 14, 2015

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 16 customers

Search Customer Discussions