Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

False advertising, Amazon Instant Video on Android

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 26-50 of 875 posts in this discussion
Posted on Oct 27, 2012 11:44:42 AM PDT
l understand. I just got a new tablet. I was hoping to using this feature without having to buy a kindle.

Posted on Oct 27, 2012 5:22:56 PM PDT
Mark J says:
I am responding to the original post. I, too, am so frustrated by Amazon's lack of responsiveness to instant video on Android. I was able to watch a year ago on my Xoom. I wrote to Mr Bezos about my dissatisfaction. I had to write again because I received a response from a public relations person that was really nonresponsive. The second response not much better. Amazon touts its service but insists on dictating the manner we view its content. The Fire HD is a step in the right direction, but it has limits such that I cant buy it for the sole purpose to watch its content.

I have started to grow my video library through Google Play in protest. Hopefully with the release of the mini Ipad and Windows products, Amazon will rethink its approach on content and not content delivery. I prefer to stay with Amazon but feeling pushed away.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 27, 2012 6:00:29 PM PDT
Jazzy_Jeff says:
And who doesn't dictate the manner you view their content????????????????????????????

Posted on Oct 28, 2012 5:51:57 PM PDT
Maybe I'm missing something, but I just set up my wife's Android tablet (Acer A500) with a bookmark to our Prime Account and the Watchlist. Worked beautifully. Put the video into full screen mode, got on the treadmill and did an hour watching "L.A. Confidential".

I then showed my wife how to add stuff to the watchlist.

Yeah, it would be nice to have specific app, but a browser bookmark works.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 29, 2012 8:20:35 PM PDT
Mark J says:
What browser are you using?

Posted on Oct 30, 2012 12:07:21 PM PDT
crecode says:
I am sure that part of the issue is that Amazon is trying to push users to the Kindle and Prime membership. I own a (non-color) Kindle, and for media consumption it is a beautiful thing. However, NOTHING compares to the beauty that is pure Jelly Bean on my Nexus 7. It is a truly fantastic tablet...yet as mentioned sucks for Kindle and especially Amazon Instant Video (and yes, I know I can use it by loading a different browser and Flash/). Meanwhile, Apple has a nice eco-system and i-Tunes that is proprietary onto itself. What to do? I will probably by a Fire along with my Nexus.....but it should not need to be this way, but that is the result of the battles of unregulated Capitalism in an emerging technological market. We the consumer get the shaft while Amazon, Google and Apple (did the company Microsoft also just surface?) fight for our hearts and minds......

Posted on Oct 31, 2012 9:02:18 AM PDT
sdockham says:
False Advertising? I can see the view point. I would not have used that term, but I understand where it comes from. I, too, am very disappointed that, as yet, there isn't an Android APP. From a competition stand point, why would Amazon develop for a competing platform before releasing it for it's own system's? I have zero proof and only speculation, but I suspect Apple paid a big fee to delay the release of an Android player. It's the only thing that makes sense.

Posted on Oct 31, 2012 12:53:40 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 31, 2012 12:54:44 PM PDT
Stuck in NNJ says:
smells like a load! Even Ipad has Instant Video, have to rethink renewing my Prime Membership if i cant get it on my Galaxy Note 10.1

Posted on Oct 31, 2012 1:11:32 PM PDT
I'd hate to have to buy movies in Google Play when I already have several through Amazon. But since I can't view Amazon with my Nexus 7, it looks like I don't have a choice. Real sad Amazon...

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 31, 2012 1:21:34 PM PDT
T. Minder says:
My prime membership is also due up for renewal in a few months, I will not be renewing if it still is not available on android devices.

Posted on Oct 31, 2012 1:53:16 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 31, 2012 1:59:53 PM PDT
Okay, I just tried Dolphin HD 8.5.1 on my Toshiba Thrive. Prime instant video works fine. This is an older version of Dolphin that still supports Flash. You can get it from here:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1787595

P.S. I have my browser set to desktop view.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 31, 2012 4:49:35 PM PDT
that doesn't help if you want to watch the video offline (say, on an airplane)

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 31, 2012 4:50:54 PM PDT
need to read the whole post before I respond. didn't know I could download

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 31, 2012 4:51:45 PM PDT
You can only download rented or purchased content. The Prime instant videos are streaming only.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 31, 2012 4:55:30 PM PDT
Just Theo says:
I haven't side-loaded anything and I have it. The only web browsers I have are chrome mobile and the stock browser.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 31, 2012 4:57:07 PM PDT
Just Theo says:
Yeah, like Apple doesn't dictate their content....lol

Posted on Nov 6, 2012 1:04:39 PM PST
Brandon says:
Where is the app for android?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 6, 2012 1:17:33 PM PST
J. Donahue says:
There isn't one, per the several posts ahead of yours on this thread.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 6, 2012 1:25:50 PM PST
saraf says:
I watch Amazon Prime on MY Nexus 7.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 6, 2012 9:40:10 PM PST
Mark J says:
I tried this but didn't work, have a Toshiba Excite 7.7

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 6, 2012 10:03:50 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 6, 2012 10:04:10 PM PST
It works fairly well on my Toshiba Thrive with the Dolphin HD browser. Not at all with Chrome since that does not support Flash... Still not a crisp as on my desktop computer or my Kindle Fire. An Android App would be nice...

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 12, 2012 2:19:40 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 12, 2012 2:24:02 AM PST
@Ye Li-
Unfortunately no dice on my Samsung GT P3113 (-_-). It all worked perfectly up until I actually selected a video. Every time I tried I got an "Unfortunately Amazon Video has stopped" error message.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 12, 2012 2:34:49 AM PST
@saraf-
Do you use the Amazon video player, or have to use sideload tricks?
I really don't want to get a kindle to watch this stuff mobile.

Posted on Nov 15, 2012 10:34:27 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 15, 2012 11:02:50 AM PST
tcolgan says:
From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adobe_Flash#Possible_decline

"Furthermore, in November 2011 Adobe announced the end of Flash for mobile platforms or TV, instead focusing on HTML5 for browser content and Adobe AIR for the various mobile application stores. Pundits questioned its continued relevance even on the desktop and described it as "the beginning of the end"."

Time to move forward Amazon!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 16, 2012 4:21:10 PM PST
TJ says:
Now that Flash is no longer offered on Android you can't watch videos in your browser. Makes you wonder who got paid off to make that deal!
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Kindle forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Announcement
NEWS: Kindle for iOS 4.8
0 19 days ago
Announcement
Welcome to the Kindle Discussion Forum - A Congregation of Kindle Enthusiasts
0 Mar 20, 2015
Announcement
Meet other story lovers at Write On by Kindle
36 Mar 20, 2015
Announcement
Enjoy your print books and personal documents on your Kindle with Kindle Convert.
0 Feb 2, 2015
recharging kindle fire 0 1 minute ago
We're So Quirky, Our Chihuahuas Ride Bicycles! So Geese and Tally Ho! 5445 4 minutes ago
Amazon Prime UK service in Spain 3 5 minutes ago
Can't watch bought and downloaded movies on Kindle fire HDX 4 8 minutes ago
battery life on kindle fire hd 240 15 minutes ago
RAoK Room 81 is ready to serve you..... 9487 17 minutes ago
Can I add another account to my kindle? 4 18 minutes ago
Kindle Fire HDX 4G 4 24 minutes ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  153
Total posts:  875
Initial post:  Sep 6, 2012
Latest post:  Nov 23, 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 18 customers

Search Customer Discussions