Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

Announcement

Kindle Fire Tips: Getting Started

This discussion has reached the maximum length permitted, and cannot accept new replies. Start a new discussion

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 7051-7075 of 1000 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Nov 1, 2012 7:59:52 AM PDT
edfan says:
LN, I'm using an older TwoWire modem/router from ATT. If I upgraded to their newer unit (I've seen it at flea markets), do you think the router would be less laggy?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 1, 2012 8:11:13 AM PDT
LN says:
Well, a faster router is always a good, reasonably inexpensive start. Even if your internet is fast, the router is still the gateway. Routers are up to xxx.xxxetc.n now...I think that's right. Others may be able to update/clarify that.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 1, 2012 8:13:06 AM PDT
Avid Reader says:
LOL, edfan, I wasn't feeling so young....I told him I got past the Junior Jitters to Senior Panics...it was almost love at first sight...my Sr year in college I am blessed. ty

Posted on Nov 1, 2012 8:18:06 AM PDT
edfan says:
LN, I'm *assuming* that ATT's newer routers are faster. With these companies, not all "upgrades" are actually better! It's a sad fact of modern life. Sometimes the only real progress is that the company makes more money. Their customers pay more and get a paint job over the rust in return.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 1, 2012 8:23:53 AM PDT
LN says:
edfan, yes, sad fact. But if you get a model number, you should be able to look it up on the internet to see details, reviews, etc.

Posted on Nov 1, 2012 10:35:15 AM PDT
LN says:
Glenn, I think you are the one who listed the Roo Origami case that you ordered for your HD 8.9? I looked at it for my 7" HD because I've had a hard time finding a case that does what I want it to do, in portrait orientation. I ordered the Roo Origami, and it arrived today. Holy cow, what a GREAT piece of design! Nothing extra, very compact, very intelligent. I've had it an hour, but it only took about a minute to realize the thought that went into it. The front cover folds back to become the stand, and it is very stable in either portrait or landscape orientation. There are two angles for landscape. One for portrait, and it's just the angle I like--not too straight up. I've been using the Marware rotating case and it works, but it makes me crazy because portrait orientation is too vertical, and it flops apart when I'm trying to read in bed. And there are just too many pieces to it. The Roo case has nothing extra, and everything it does have is very elegant design. I'm so glad you pointed it out!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 1, 2012 11:10:08 AM PDT
Rogue says:
Lisa: I am so pleased to hear that the Origami case is of good quality. My fear was that for such a low price corners had to be cut(No pun intended). I thought it would be of a flimsy unstable design but you have put those fears to rest. I will cancel the Amazon case I ordered for my HD8.9" and hope they present this case for that device. The Amazon case seemed so overpriced but currently was the only one available for the 8.9". Two quick questions, does the on and off when opening and closing the case work well? That I think is another great feature of the new line of cases for the new devices. Second I think it had a very low angle in landscape for typing in addition to 2 higher positions. I think I remember seeing that on the product page. Thanks again Lisa, Glenn

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 1, 2012 12:07:50 PM PDT
LN says:
Glenn--
I had a Roo for my original KF that was flimsy, but they've figured that out now.

The Kindle slips into an open sleeve that is attached to the stiff back of the case. The sleeve has a top cutout for the camera, and side cutouts for charging, power, etc. These openings all line up well.

The front cover is stiff too, but has grooves in it so that you can fold it into the config you want to use. The cover attaches with two magnets, in the top and bottom corners. These magnets are also used when the cover is folded, very efficient. One config is used for both portrait and the more-vertical landscape angle; you just fold the cover, then place the K on the table in the way you want to look at it. For the lower-angle landscape mode, you fold the cover a different way.

Yup, the on/off works fine.

I don't really know the quality of the material, or even if it's leather. It smells like leather, but it's listed as "vegan" leather. Isn't that an oxymoron?? But whatever it is, it's stitched nicely, and seems thick enough to last awhile.

It seems to me that the design would be stiff enough for a larger, heavier KF too.

There are certainly stiffer cases around, like the rotating Marware, but I want something with more flexibility and less bulk. And truly, I just think this origami idea is entrancing design!

Lisa

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 1, 2012 12:40:26 PM PDT
Rogue says:
Lisa: Thanks for the additional info on this one. Nothing like a hands on review to convince me. Now I just have to keep checking for a HD8.9" version. Vegan leather is a fancy term for vinyl. I worked many years for BMW and the lower end models came with a "leatherette" interior which is also a fancy name for vinyl. BMW felt listing "vinyl" on the window sticker of any of their models was inappropriate. LOL! Thank you again for taking the time to give such a detailed review on this case. I already cancelled the Amazon case from my order. Glenn

Posted on Nov 3, 2012 5:23:03 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Nov 3, 2012 5:24:41 AM PDT
Avid Reader says:
I see the date on the one above from Glenn with Nov 4, 2012~~~ today in OK it is Nov 3 sooo

This made me think of someone here
The Libertines Motorcycle Club: An Outlaw Is Born

Hope you all have a fantastic weekend... and prayers for those in the devasted storm area.

NOW it says Nov 1 and I checked it over and over before but all is exactly the same except for that '1'

Posted on Nov 3, 2012 6:41:50 AM PDT
Avid Reader says:
♥♥♥Joanne, I pray you are doing well in all the devastation. Hugzzz

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 3, 2012 8:13:07 AM PDT
Good Morning, Anita, Q, Marilyn, Carrie, LN, JannE and all my KFTGS friends- I was without electricity since Monday evening and finally got it back yesterday afternoon. I've never had an experience like this before. I had to stay at home because my almost 12 year old son was home from school all week because of the hurricane aftermath. My mother-in-law had just been sick, then my husband caught it right as the storm hit us. In the end, my son caught the cold as well. After two days my husband was called to come back to work, but I had to stay here to tend to our son. He found it very challenging adapting to life without electricity. He's used to being on the computer and playing video games all the time. Instead, we were reading paper books when it was daylight and listening to Talk Radio all day on a little battery powered transistor radio. Our Kindle Fires were drained of power within a couple of days and we couldn't read from them like we would have loved to. For this reason, I am going to make sure we both have Paperwhite Kindles as they light up and the battery is supposed to last for 8 weeks. I've always had candles around that were given to me as gifts over the years, but never placed much importance on them until now. Practically every single one of them was worn down by yesterday morning and I was down to three matches. Now I consider candles gold and will always make sure I'm well stocked with them for future disasters. In the end, we were very lucky as no harm at all was done to our house and our only inconvenience was not having electricity. The temperatures had fallen down to the low forties so it was getting rather cold in the house, so it was wonderful to have the heat back on as of yesterday. I thank you all for your kind thoughts and prayers and am so glad to be back in communication with my Kindleland family, as Marilyn put it. Bless you all!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 3, 2012 8:17:57 AM PDT
Carrie- Thank you so much for your kind offer of shelter at your home during the hurricane. Had my son read your post he would have had his overnight bag packed and been on his way! The day after we lost electricity he was begging for us to drive across state lines and book ourselves into a hotel because he missed watching TV, playing video games and going on the computer. You are very sweet and I appreciate your kind offer. I'm glad Forrest Hills was spared during this horrible storm. P & L, Joanne

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 3, 2012 8:19:27 AM PDT
jsh1120 says:
Joanne,

Welcome back! So glad to hear you've gotten your juice back. Here in the Pacific Northwest we go through extended power outages on a fairly regular basis. Living here in a Seattle suburb we feel like we're in a third world country about once a year and like we've regressed to the 18th century once or twice every five years. In short, I can relate.

P.S. A battery backup usually used for camping is an essential household accessory out here. Consider it. :)

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 3, 2012 8:30:46 AM PDT
Hi, jsh1120- I'm so glad you mentioned that battery backup device. I had heard it mentioned in these discussions months ago for when people went camping. I definitely am interested in getting one now! I was in the middle of reading a sideloaded book on my Kindle Fire when my battery indicator turned red and had to stop. Could you post a link to a battery backup device that you would recommend? I can put it on my Amazon Wish List for the upcoming holidays. From what the Governor of New York said, we can expect these situations to occur more frequently as we just had Hurricane Irene last year, although it wasn't as severe as Sandy. I don't want to be without my Kindle Fire at a time I really need it again! My son also has a Kindle Fire and read a book the first evening we lost electricity. His FIRE was also drained of battery power within a couple of days. Thank you for your warm welcome back...and please advise on a battery backup. :-)

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 3, 2012 8:31:23 AM PDT
Hi, Q- How is your daughter and her husband? I heard that Jersey City regained their power before we did yesterday. I hope and pray that they are doing well. Joanne

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 3, 2012 9:13:27 AM PDT
jsh1120 says:
Joanne,

We have a Duracell Powerpack 600. Not surprisingly, it's "temporarily out of stock." Works well, but there are many with the same kind of capabilities. The one we have has a built-in radio but it's worthless.

Duracell 600 Watt Powerpack Pro

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 3, 2012 9:45:35 AM PDT
Glenn: Video calls to whom (batting eyelashes)?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 3, 2012 10:14:36 AM PDT
jsh1120- Thank you for taking the time to send me the link on the battery charging device. I know you are our resident expert on such things, so I really value and appreciate your advice. At least I have an idea what I'm looking for now, even if I don't purchase that exact product. Thanks again!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 3, 2012 2:39:03 PM PDT
Q says:
Hi Joanne,
It's now Sat and they still don't have power, but they are fine, safe and warm. Gas works. They live very close to the river.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 3, 2012 4:12:10 PM PDT
Marilyn says:
Joanne, I'm so glad you 're back, and that through it all you and yours are well. Hang in thers and take care. Marilyn Allen

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 3, 2012 4:18:17 PM PDT
Marilyn says:
Q, Glad you and yours are doing well. Take care. Marilyn Allen

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 4, 2012 6:34:17 AM PST
Q says:
Hi everyone,
Happy extra-hour day to you all! ;)

Posted on Nov 4, 2012 8:43:42 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 4, 2012 8:45:09 AM PST
LN says:
Joanne--thanks for the update! I'm so glad that your power is back. I'm in contact with another woman affected by the storm. She lives close to NYC, but on an island or
penninsula or something. The water came up to but not into her house. So it's OK but there's no power and no communication with the power company so she and family are staying with relatives in NYC. She is not sure when, or even if, she'll be able to move back home. Your story is much more hopeful, very good to hear!

Posted on Nov 4, 2012 8:52:48 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 4, 2012 9:06:12 AM PST
LN says:
And a problem I would like to find some help with--On my original KF, I played around with Pulse and found that I really enjoyed following certain blogs. Now I'm trying to get the same ones onto my KFHD, and am not having much success. I've been successful with some if them, but there are others that I simply can't get it to find or accept, even when I know the exact blog address. Have any of you had this problem? Were you able to solve it?
Thanks!
Discussion locked

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  1164
Total posts:  10000
Initial post:  Dec 24, 2011
Latest post:  Aug 7, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 77 customers

Search Customer Discussions