Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Periphery Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer CafeSociety CafeSociety CafeSociety  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro
Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

In the Kindle Kitchen with Annie and Joyce

This discussion has reached the maximum length permitted, and cannot accept new replies. Start a new discussion

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 7251-7275 of 1000 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Jun 10, 2012 7:46:41 AM PDT
HappyCamper says:
Good morning Joyce! I use Franks hot sauce but I think which ever one you prefer will work fine.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 10, 2012 7:50:04 AM PDT
Hello HappyCamper ... Frank's is a good choice for me. That is one that I usually keep on hand.

Thanks for getting back to me so quickly, and have a great day!

Posted on Jun 10, 2012 7:51:43 AM PDT
Pipeline says:
Bluuue berrieeeeeeeeees...YUM!

Posted on Jun 10, 2012 7:54:33 AM PDT
Good morning Pipe ... Yes, Bluuue berrieeeeeeeeees are YUM!

Great to see you today, and I hope it is a good one for you ... :-)

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 10, 2012 7:57:19 AM PDT
Pipeline says:
Same to you. :) Finished that book a couple days ago...not bad at all.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 10, 2012 8:07:17 AM PDT
Pipe ... Hello again ... :-)

I'm still working on the book. Really enjoying so far, but need to get out of the kitchen so I can read more. Glad to hear that you thought it to be OK.

Posted on Jun 10, 2012 8:11:57 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 10, 2012 8:14:30 AM PDT
HOW TO BAKE A CAKE: CHARMING RECIPE STORY

* Heat oven. Grease pan. Crack nuts. Get your bowl, spoons and ingredients. Remove 18 blocks and 7 toy automobiles from kitchen table. Measure 2 cups flour onto piece of waxed paper. Get sifter out of cabinet. Remove Johnny's hand from flour. Wash flour off him. Measure out 1 cup more flour to replace what is now on floor. Put 2-1/2 teaspoons baking powder and 1/2 teaspoon of salt in the sifter. Get dust pan and brush up pieces of bowl which Johnny has accidentally knocked off table.

* Get another bowl. Measure and sift ingredients. With spoon, work 1/4 cup of shortening against side of bowl. Answer doorbell. Return to kitchen. Remove Johnny's hands from bowl. Wash shortening off him. Add one cup granulated sugar gradually. Answer telephone. Return to kitchen. Remove Johnny's hands from bowl. Wash shortening and sugar off him.

* Get out an egg. Answer doorbell. Return to kitchen. Mop up floor. Change Johnny's shoes which are all eggy. Get another egg. Beat. Remove toy automobile from bowl. Add flour mixture alternately with egg, 3/4 cup milk and one teaspoon vanilla. Answer knock at back door. Remove Johnny's hands from bowl. Wash shortening, sugar, flour, milk and vanilla off him. Beat ... mixture that is ... Take up greased pan, find it has 1/4 inch layer of salt in bottom. Look for Johnny, who has disappeared.

* Get another pan and grease it. Answer telephone. Return to kitchen and find, of all people, Johnny. Remove his hands from bowl. Wash shortening, etc., off him. Take up greased pan; find it has 1/4 inch of nutshells in it. Head for Johnny, who flees, knocking bowl off table. Wash kitchen floor. Wash kitchen table. Wash kitchen walls. Wash dishes.

* Call up your baker and order a cake. Lie down!

Posted on Jun 10, 2012 8:19:18 AM PDT
Very cute Joyce.

Got a loaf of Vienna bread in the machine. I want to try the Sunflower Oatmeal but I need to pick up the raw seeds and rolled oats.

Posted on Jun 10, 2012 8:48:33 AM PDT
DC ... Good morning to you!

YUM, the vienna bread sounds real good. I want to try the sunflower oatmeal, but I also need to pick-up the raw seeds and rolled oats. Be sure to let us know how your vienna bread turns out.

Posted on Jun 10, 2012 8:50:05 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 10, 2012 3:00:58 PM PDT
Check this out ... Lasagna in a bread machine!

Please copy the URL below and paste in your computer browser:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FkbZI2QD8aA&feature=relmfu

ETA: Now, I have got to try this one ... sure looks easy and delish! :-)

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 10, 2012 9:56:16 AM PDT
EmJayKay says:
For those of you who do not have fresh beets, do as I do.
buy 2 cans of sliced beets when on sale. drain and save about 3/4 cup of the juice.
bring the 3/4 cups juice, 3/4 cups sugar and 3/4 cup vinegar to a boil.
Put beets in a jar and pour juice over to cover. Store in refrigerator.
You can do any amount of beets, just use equal parts beet juice, sugar and vinegar.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 10, 2012 10:11:42 AM PDT
EmJayKay says:
When looking for a bread machine, do not overlook the fact that there are many bread machines in thrift stores. I got a Breadman for $6.00 at Goodwill, and love it. Has an oblong pan, and all the other bells and whistles. Also got a really nice recipe book for bread machines.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 10, 2012 10:22:27 AM PDT
EmJayKay ... Thanks for telling us about using canned sliced beets. Wow, this will be great ... :-)

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 10, 2012 2:47:13 PM PDT
Princess Joyce,

I think you have come across a real winner in this one. Never would have thought one could make Lasagna in a bread machine. I just watched the You Tube video from your link and it looks so good and easy also. Makes me want to run to the store for some Lasagna noodles and whip this one up for dinner.

Thanks so much for finding this for us kitchen folk and the video link is really interesting. Kind of takes the fear out of the process. I have the feeling that Miss Mollie would be standing next to the table waiting for her portion.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 10, 2012 3:48:24 PM PDT
Joyce, i hope you add this story to your cookbook.

Posted on Jun 10, 2012 10:38:46 PM PDT
A_nony_mouse says:
Well, I came to ...make like a tomato and Ketch-up. I have done that, so I will head off to bed, as I am actually a little sleepy right now. Have a good night everyone.

Posted on Jun 11, 2012 5:54:41 AM PDT
HappyCamper says:
To Elizabeth S H:
"Angels do exist, but sometimes, since they don't all have wings, we call them friends"
Thank you for being so generous and reminding me about life - it is way too short.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 11, 2012 6:50:01 AM PDT
HappyCamper, I hope your husband is feeling better. I know how tough it is when they are sick. We try our best to make things better. Sometimes just being there(and sometimes not being there LOL) is all we can do.

Posted on Jun 11, 2012 7:52:48 AM PDT
little foot says:
Good Morning Chefs! It's another warm and windy day here. Hope everyone has a great day.:-)

Posted on Jun 11, 2012 8:48:35 AM PDT
little foot ... Good morning to you! Yes, another warm and windy day, I agree. Any cooking plans on your "Things to Do List" today? I'm going through recipes right now, and trying to plan what to fix for dinner, along with a dessert, too. So, that means another trip to Wally World for some foodstuffs that I will need for my recipes. Always need some ingredients that I don't have in the cupboard.

I think I have already made the decision to make the Bread Machine Lasagna for dinner. And, I'm watching Martha, and she just made a delicious looking apple dessert. I've got to find the recipe on her website ... it looks so YUM!

You have a great day, too ... :-)

Posted on Jun 11, 2012 8:53:32 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 11, 2012 8:54:57 AM PDT
HOMEMADE MAGIC PAN GREASE

You can buy pan grease or make your own. This is used as a substitute to greasing the pans and dusting them with flour when directed by the recipe to do so. Keep unused portion in an airtight container and refrigerate to use for your next batch of baking.

Recipe #1:
Mix 1 cup shortening (like Crisco), 1/4 cup flour, 1/4 cup vegetable oil and apply to baking pans evenly with a pastry brush.

Recipe #2:
2 cups of Crisco, 1 cup of flour and apply to baking pans evenly with a pastry brush.

I've been using the "Magic Grease" for a couple years now, and it is wonderful. Works great for your Bundt pans.

Posted on Jun 11, 2012 9:08:35 AM PDT
TARTE TATIN
(From Martha Stewart)

This recipe is made in a 9" round iron skillet and looks scrumpcious!

Ingredients:
5 to 6 medium apples, such as Braeburn
3/4 cup granulated sugar
3 tablespoons water
4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
1/2 recipe Pate Brisee (I have included recipe below)

Directions:
1. Halve and core apples. Set aside one half. Quarter remaining apples and transfer to a large bowl. Squeeze lemon over apple slices and set aside.
2. Combine sugar and water in a 9-inch cast-iron skillet. Bring mixture to a boil over medium-high heat; immediately reduce heat to medium and cook until mixture begins to thicken and turn amber. Remove from heat and stir in butter.
3. Place reserved apples in center of skillet. Decoratively arrange remaining apple slices, cut side up, in skillet around reserved apples. Continue layering slices until level with top of skillet. Cut any remaining apples into thick slices to fill in gaps. If fruit does not completely fill pan, tart will collapse when inverted.
4. Place skillet over low heat and cook until syrup thickens and is reduced by half, about 20 minutes. Do not let syrup burn. Remove from heat and let cool.
5. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper; set aside.
6. Roll out pate brisee to a 10- to 11-inch circle, about 1/8 inch thick; transfer to a baking sheet and chill until firm, about 30 minutes.
7. Place pate brisee over apples and tuck edges. Transfer skillet to prepared baking sheet; transfer baking sheet to oven and bake until golden brown, about 35 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack and let cool 15 to 20 minutes. Loosen pastry from skillet using a sharp knife.
8.Place a rimmed platter over skillet; quickly and carefully invert. Serve immediately.

PATE BRISEE Recipe

Ingredients:
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon coarse salt
1 teaspoon sugar
1 cup (2 sticks) chilled unsalted butter, cut in pieces
1/4 to 1/2 cup ice water

Directions:
1. Place the flour, salt, and sugar in the bowl of a food processor, and process for a few seconds to combine. Add the butter, and process until the mixture resembles coarse meal, about 10 seconds. With the machine running, add the ice water in a slow, steady stream, through the feed tube, just until the dough holds together. Do not process for more than 30 seconds.
2. Turn the dough out onto a work surface. Divide in two. Place each half on a sheet of plastic wrap. Flatten, and form two discs. Wrap, and refrigerate at least 1 hour before using.

Posted on Jun 11, 2012 9:33:23 AM PDT
ORANGE AND BALSAMIC CHICKEN
(From Martha's Every Day Foods)

Ingredients:
4 bone-in, skin-on chicken thighs (about 1 1/2 pounds total)
Coarse salt and ground pepper
1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
1 unpeeled orange, cut into 8 wedges
1 tablespoon unsalted butter

Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Season chicken with salt and pepper. In a large ovenproof skillet, heat oil over medium-high. Add chicken, skin side down, and cook until golden and crisp, 7 minutes. Transfer chicken to a plate and pour off fat from skillet. Return chicken, skin side up, to skillet and transfer to oven. Bake until cooked through, 10 minutes. Transfer chicken to a plate.
2. Heat skillet over medium and add vinegar and orange wedges. Cook, stirring and scraping up browned bits with a wooden spoon, until orange begins to soften, about 2 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in butter. To serve, return chicken to skillet and toss with orange and sauce.

*** NOTE: Squeeze the oranges over the chicken and eat with crusty bread to soak up the sauce.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 11, 2012 10:10:08 AM PDT
Hi, Joyce! Question about step 1 of the directions. It says 'halve and core apples. Set aside one half...". Does that mean to set aside 1/2 of the total, or does it mean to put 1 half-apple aside? It *sounds* like the intent is to separate the total amount of apples into some that are sliced and some that remain as half-apples, but you were the one who saw Martha make it... what say you?

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 11, 2012 10:41:49 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 11, 2012 10:43:24 AM PDT
little foot says:
I have to go to Wally World too. I have to do the monthly grocery shopping. Not sure what sounds good for supper. I might find it hile shopping. We've decided to have the fish fry Sunday around noon. We have the flathead smoked and striper, crappie and walleye to fix too.
Discussion locked

Recent discussions in the Kindle forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  436
Total posts:  10000
Initial post:  Mar 19, 2011
Latest post:  Oct 23, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 92 customers

Search Customer Discussions