Industrial-Sized Deals TextBTS15 Shop Women's Handbags Learn more nav_sap_plcc_6M_fly_beacon $5 Albums $5 Off Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Shop Popular Services pivdl pivdl pivdl  Amazon Echo Starting at $99 Kindle Voyage Nintendo Digital Games Shop Back to School with Amazon Back to School with Amazon Outdoor Recreation Baby Sale
Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

nexus 7 tablet

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 51-75 of 174 posts in this discussion
Posted on Jul 18, 2012 6:13:38 AM PDT
I'm not sure where the info comes from about shortages either, except maybe for some of the retail stores. I ordered mine online from Google Play on July 9 and have already received it, so no problems here.

Posted on Jul 18, 2012 7:03:41 AM PDT
So James, please tell us - how do you like it so far?

Posted on Jul 18, 2012 7:32:31 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 18, 2012 7:33:00 AM PDT
Bryan, unfortunately I'm overseas and had it delivered to my daughter in the States and she's bringing it down to me when she visits in late August, so I won't get my hands on it until then. She's had a lot of experience with both the Fire and the Ipad, as well as e-ink Kindles, and is going to thoroughly evaluate for me as soon as her time permits.

So far, she's only had a few minutes to play with it because of her work schedule, but says the touch screen seems to be much more responsive and the browser is much faster than the Fire, which were two of my major complaints with the Fire.

Posted on Jul 18, 2012 7:55:50 AM PDT
The Nexus 7 I preordered on July 10 was delivered yesterday. I haven't had a ton of time to play with it, but one biiiig positive compared to the Kindle Fire is that the Google Play store has some movies with closed captions. I've got a significant hearing loss and movies/tv without captions is pretty much hit or miss for me. Since my pre-order came with a free copy of Transformers Dark of the Moon, I downloaded it and hit 'play' to see how the video quality was. It's quite nice. I noticed there was a "cc" button and I got very excited. The captions are very clear when holding the Nexus at about chest level. They wouldn't be too good from a couple feet away, but since it's a personal media device and not a big screen tv, I don't think that'll be a problem.

There's no way to search for movies with captions/subtitles on the Google Play store, though. I emailed support to ask if that's something they're working on because that is one big perk of looking for captioned stuff in iTunes. One advanced search and they all pop up.

Posted on Jul 18, 2012 8:33:30 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 18, 2012 8:34:04 AM PDT
Here's an update on product availability:
http://www.androidauthority.com/google-nexus-7-shipping-date-8gb-16-gb-us-uk-canada-australia-101742/ .
If accurate, it doesn't seem like there's much of a problem.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 18, 2012 9:57:18 AM PDT
Thanks James. Those are two of my main issues with the Fire - slow response on the touch screen and inferior browser. I use Google Chrome on my PC and am looking forward to having that as the native browser on the Nexus. Because I can download the Kindle reading app, I can use the Nexus as an e-reader for my Amazon books.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 18, 2012 10:02:10 AM PDT
J. Donahue says:
I love that word FUBAR. Almost as good as SNAFU...

Posted on Jul 18, 2012 10:47:08 AM PDT
Bryan, exactly my thoughts as well. Also, even though I'm a US customer, I live much of the year overseas and I must use a vpn with a US ip address in order to access geographically-restricted content when I'm out of the country. The Fire doesn't support vpn but the Nexus does.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 18, 2012 11:00:18 AM PDT
pjf says:
I believe there is a new law that is going to require all streamed movies to come with a caption option, but I can't remember what the date is. I purchased two digital movies from Amazon when I got my Fire, discovered after the fact that they had no caption option, and emailed Amazon customer service and told them their lack of captioning would prevent me from purchasing any further digital movies. So I put my two cents in there, because while I like the idea of movies without storing DVDS, I like captions more. Not that I am hearing impaired, but members of my family are getting older, and because they routinely use the caption option, I got into the habit of it, and I find it very useful.

Posted on Jul 18, 2012 11:33:37 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 18, 2012 11:40:31 AM PDT
Just got to unpack my Nexus 7 late last night so haven't had much playtime with it yet, but two positive first impressions that hit me right away were that it seems way more ergonomic and comfortable to hold than the Fire and it weighs much less.

I haven't had a chance to try video yet, but I wanted to check out a Tegra 3 optimized game so I installed Dark Meadow, which I've also played on the iPad 3. There is definitely more eye candy than the iPad version and performance is good. The Nexus will probably be a great gaming tablet, particularly for action games. That is until Nvidia comes out with Tegra 4, at which time the Tegra 3 will be abandoned, judging by the way my Tegra 2 tablet is no longer supported by the latest games (like Dark Meadow). This contrasts with the iPad, where you can play games like Dark Meadow regardless of whether you have an iPad 1, 2 or 3.

Posted on Jul 18, 2012 1:15:53 PM PDT
Thanks Richard. I'm not a gamer but all the reviewers who've tried it for gaming have given excellent reviews.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 18, 2012 4:40:17 PM PDT
James - Actually I don't play that many games on tablets either. Once in a while I find one that I can play intensively for 10 hours or so and then I get bored. It just bugs me that Nvidia is using this planned obsolescence strategy just like they did in the old days of PC gaming. I don't think it is very good for the Android platform.

Posted on Jul 18, 2012 4:59:17 PM PDT
MF says:
I was able to view on my Nexus 7, an Amazon Instant Video from my Prime account by installing an alternate browser, Dolphin HD and installing a copy of flash I found online. I was able to view full screen by clicking "popout" in the browser window. However, Dolphin just pushed out an update which apparently killed Flash. Back to the drawing board.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 18, 2012 5:08:09 PM PDT
I got my Nexus 7 yesterday and have enjoyed playing with it today. Very nice interface, and the new features in Jelly Bean are awesome (like Google cards -- it reminded me this morning, after I had barely had it running for an hour, that I needed to leave for an appt, then gave me the weather and a traffic report to tell me how long it would take me to get there). The interface is a lot less klunky than the Fire interface, the screen more responsive to touch. Haven't tried out the camera yet.

I have the Kindle Android app running, so I've got books working, and I've found some great apps. Netflix is working for movies, however, the Amazon Android app says "Not available for this device" and I have had no success at all figuring out Instant Vids. That'll be a real bummer if Prime members can't watch movies on the Nexus 7.

So far as size, weight, and form factor -- much lighter and thinner than the Fire, just a skootch longer, altho it does fit in my Fire cover. Love it.

Posted on Jul 18, 2012 5:18:18 PM PDT
Jo MW says:
I can watch Prime videos on my nexus 7 by using Splashtop and mirroring my computer on the tablet.

Posted on Jul 19, 2012 1:51:58 AM PDT
G. Rascon says:
I received my nexus today, and I must say, its loaded with lots of features and options. It will be fun learning what does what. and it runs smooth. and since it has jelly bean, it's got that Siri like feature, very responsive, and the voice sounds just like a human, unlike Siri, where she sounds like a robot. I know it also has a GPS, I saw someone on youtube put the nexus on a dock in his truck, and it gave him directions to his destination. it worked perfect.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 19, 2012 5:57:18 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 19, 2012 5:58:03 AM PDT
Surveyah says:
"Netflix is working for movies, however, the Amazon Android app says "Not available for this device" and I have had no success at all figuring out Instant Vids."

Google has locked out the Amazon App Store?

Posted on Jul 19, 2012 6:41:40 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 19, 2012 7:02:51 AM PDT
You need to change the security settings to allow installations from "unknown sources", which is Google-speak for any sources other than their own Play store. Here's how: http://howto.cnet.com/8301-11310_39-57475158-285/turn-a-nexus-7-into-a-kindle-fire/. This still won't give you access to Amazon instant videos but should work for everything else. Some users claim that you can view Amazon Instant Videos by installing DolphinHD browser and downloading the flash player apk but I have my doubts about this.

Posted on Jul 19, 2012 7:00:29 AM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Jul 19, 2012 7:02:37 AM PDT]

Posted on Jul 19, 2012 7:19:16 AM PDT
Until my daughter brings my Nexus 7 down to me in Central America next month, I have to content myself with reading reviews by other users. This is the most in-depth discussion of Nexus 7 features I've found so far:
http://reviews.cnet.co.uk/ipad-and-tablets/google-nexus-7-review-50008423/#books-movies-and-apps.

Posted on Jul 19, 2012 7:39:51 AM PDT
Does anyone know if google has an open forum/user's group for the N7? I found some unofficial ones but not annofficial one from google itself.

Posted on Jul 19, 2012 7:47:41 AM PDT
MF says:
OK, I've got Amazon Instant Video working again on my Nexus 7. I searched the web, found and installed the following: Dolphin Browser HD version 8.5.1 and Adobe Flash Player version 11.1.115.11.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 19, 2012 7:53:19 AM PDT
That's pretty cool that you have solved the ability to stream Amazon Instant Video.

My main problem with the N7, and any other tablet for that matter, is that I like to download Amazon Instant Videos to my Fire to watch them offline.

Has anyone figured out a way to download and play Amazon Instant Video on the Nexus 7?

Posted on Jul 19, 2012 8:14:45 AM PDT
MF, glad to hear that that solution worked.

Old Rocker, the best forum I've found so far is xda-developers: http://forum.xda-developers.com/forumdisplay.php?f=1673 . I don't think there's an official one from Google.

Posted on Jul 19, 2012 8:18:05 AM PDT
MF says:
Thanks, James. The XDA forum is where I've been obtaining most of the information I've got on the Nexus 7. Now, I'm looking for the Bright House TV app in an apk file so I can try sideloading it to see if it will work. The Play Store won't download it as the Nexus 7 isn't "compatible".
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  56
Total posts:  174
Initial post:  Jun 27, 2012
Latest post:  Oct 2, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 9 customers

Search Customer Discussions