Facility Spring Cleaning Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Beauty Gifts Made in Italy Amazon Gift Card Offer out2 out2 out2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors Kindle Paperwhite Spring Arrivals in Outdoor Clothing SnS
Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

Reluctant to buy more books

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 51-64 of 64 posts in this discussion
Posted on Jun 10, 2012 6:45:37 PM PDT
Depends if we're counting freebies or not. I download a couple of them a day, most days; I think I've got about 300 unread right now. But for purchasing I'm pretty good at read one/buy one. I buy myself a gift card at the beginning of each month with that month's book budget. Most of what I read is series and I like to read them back to back. If I impulse buy books I'm not ready to read, I run out of money too fast and can't get what I want to read next. If I had a bigger book budget, I'd probably have way too many purchased books unread, too.

Posted on Jun 11, 2012 3:27:22 PM PDT
BareThoughts says:
While I have over 1,000 books, only about 10-15 are unread (and they are all ones I will read soon)

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 11, 2012 5:41:10 PM PDT
GreyDay says:
Do you buy bargains when you see them? Say if all Mary Stewart's old books were released at a good price would you buy one at a time as you read them or pick up the whole set at once? I've a tendency if the price is good and I want to read them eventually to grab the whole set.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 11, 2012 7:52:44 PM PDT
momzak says:
Thank you for the reply. I connected to my computer and deleted. The ones I deleted seem to be in the archive. The way I understand it is that the archive is not on the physical Kindle but on Amazon server. My kindle now works like a charm. Thank you.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 11, 2012 8:08:27 PM PDT
The archive is just a list that amazon keeps of your kindle books, not counting the ones that are actually on that kindle or reading app. If you download a book from your archive, it won't show up in the archive any more. If you remove a book from your kindle, then that title shows up in the archive.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 11, 2012 8:31:16 PM PDT
D. Grim says:
Maybe you should try getting yourself hooked on snatching up some library books on your Kindle, then they just disappear if you don't read them within two weeks and they don't damage the bank account.

Also, you can undo your ability to one-click order...that is just dangerous. If you have to re-enter your credit card info for new purchases, maybe it will give you more time to decide if you really want to make the purchase.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 11, 2012 8:37:42 PM PDT
Unfortunately, I don't think that's right, D. Grim. Kindle purchases can only be done via the one-click method. [Amazon seems to think this is some pretty hot-s*, proprietary technology - I don't really get all the excitement...although I know many people do like it.]

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 12, 2012 5:25:59 AM PDT
BareThoughts says:
Like you, I would but the whole set, but then I would read them fairly soon (if the price was a sale one not just an every day low price). That is why I usually have around 10-20 books in my que - they are ones I have picked up that I know I want to read, but am just not ready to yet.

Posted on Jun 12, 2012 5:43:32 AM PDT
D. Emery says:
What I do is make collections on my kindle (it's a kindle keyboard.) I sort all of my books. I take the 10 most interesting-looking books and put them in one collection (which I will read first.) Then I find the next 10 most interesting in another (which I will read second.) And finally the rest are less interesting-looking and go into another collection. Truthfully you can have as many collections as you want with this "method" and you can add books to any of them at anytime. I just like to sort them because then you can still buy more but know what order you're going to read them in.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 12, 2012 6:59:25 AM PDT
MommaCat says:
That's a pretty smart way to do it D. But what do you do when you're like me? I have 50 books in my favorite authors collection alone! Then I go on from there in my tbr pile, currently reading and short stories. I alternate between the two plus I'm in a book club and read a book a week with them. I generally read a short story or two in a week. I put books I've read in my archives. I've re-sorted my books 3 times. So far, I like this way best but I'm open to suggestions.

Posted on Jun 12, 2012 7:09:07 AM PDT
D. Emery says:
Yeah, that would be hard to sort it my way, MommaCat! I never thought about it that way... I just sort mine all the time, lol.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 12, 2012 7:47:23 AM PDT
Catwoman2965 says:
NOpe. I try and tell myself no more until I've read what I have, but as you say, if I see something on my wish list, or by an author I really like, and the price has gone down significantly, I'll buy it. I know I'll read it, and would rather pay the lower price, than risk it going back up when/if I'm ready to buy it. Case in point; i think last week or the week before, the Daily Deal was a bunch of Karin Fossum's books. I've read some, but not all, and would like to re-read them, and the fact they were only 1.99 each, I got them all.

I go in spurts with buying; I'll buy a lot in a short time, then not any for a while. I've also stopped with the freebies; I had so many, and read very few, so now I just look every now and then, and am much more selective with what I get from there.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 12, 2012 12:00:43 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 12, 2012 12:04:46 PM PDT
MamaSylvia says:
Depends on how good a bargain it is. If the "bargain" price is over $5, probably not. If it's under a buck, almost certainly. In between - depends on how much I want it (would snag "The Ivy Tree" in a heartbeat, "Madam Will You Talk" probably not, and DID snag the 4-book Merlin series for $9.99) and what the normal retail price is. (And I'm jealous of the Australians who DO have all Lady Stewart's old titles available!)

D. Grim, I have found very few library books I'm interested in reading. It's still my first place to look for a particular book, but I've been disappointed so often I wonder if my eyes would just skim over a book I did want because I don't expect to see it!

Miss Mitford, I think people like 1-clicking because it is so easy. I've purchased ebooks from other sites, and nothing except Baen's auto-email-to-my-Kindle even comes close. Usually I have to follow a link and download the books within a specific period of time. Sometimes I have to enter a code in order to download the book. Sometimes I have to pick which format I want to download. Sometimes I have to wait for the site to email me the link to download from. None of these are particularly tedious or time-consuming, but we ARE an instant-gratification society these days, and Amazon caters to that.

ETF: danged keyboard can't spell worth a hoot

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 12, 2012 12:22:00 PM PDT
CLS10 says:
I have been lucky in that both of my public libraries have a pretty robust ebook selection. It's been so great, actually, that I haven't read any of my own kindle books for quite a while (though I still continue to pick up books here and there). I've already told myself that I need to take a break from the library books and read my own for a bit.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Kindle forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Announcement
Critical Software Update for Kindle E-Readers
0 Mar 23, 2016
Announcement
Welcome to the Kindle Discussion Forum - A Congregation of Kindle Enthusiasts
0 Mar 20, 2015
kid's kindle fire..App Unavailable: SD Card Not Found??? 98 2 minutes ago
Hear Ye! Hear Ye! We're Quirky And We're Not Going To Take It Anymore! 2016, You've Been Warned! So Geese And Tally Ho! 7904 3 minutes ago
85° and Sunny - A Perfect Day to RAOK! 4305 13 minutes ago
Discounted / Price Dropped Kindle eBooks III 9043 14 minutes ago
April Informal Poll--What are you reading? 194 15 minutes ago
My book purchased for my grandsons birthday 6 18 minutes ago
WiFi problems with Kindle Fire HD 7" 227 20 minutes ago
Kindle PW Battery Life 1 22 minutes ago
To people who really don't like the new upgrade 103 40 minutes ago
FREE Books & Chat - April 2016 908 41 minutes ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  40
Total posts:  64
Initial post:  Jun 8, 2012
Latest post:  Jun 12, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions