Professional restaurant supplies Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_cbcc_7_fly_beacon The Jayhawks Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Subscribe & Save Mother's Day Gifts Amazon Gift Card Offer bschs2 bschs2 bschs2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now SnS
Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

Kindle Fire vs. other android tablets (not ipad or nook!)

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 51-75 of 109 posts in this discussion
Posted on Feb 5, 2012 5:06:14 PM PST
I would love some help in deciding between a tablet, K-fire or Ipad ... I am a technophobe but started homeschooling my kids and need a good additional way for them to play educational games, research websites, and read. We have 2 laptops and I need one more way to access the games, software, books etc. As I am really bad at figuring out electronic stuff, which would be easiest for a techno-dinosaur like myself to use?

Posted on Feb 21, 2012 10:18:08 AM PST
I have my kindle fire for 2 weeks alredy and it freezes a lot I saw the Android tablet for $50 more I was wondering if is better I read its really good and it has camera .

Posted on Feb 24, 2012 9:21:10 AM PST
My question is a simple one, I think. Do all of these things cost an additional charge each month to use the way a smart phone does?

Posted on Mar 10, 2012 7:40:00 PM PST
Last edited by the author on May 1, 2012 10:09:02 AM PDT
weibing li says:
Recently my kindle fire can not play youtube video? I donot know why. Some video file before I can play. If I reset system, it will play again. How to setup my kindle fire. Thanks

Posted on Mar 12, 2012 6:35:26 PM PDT
Erik T. says:
I would recommend the kindle fire to people who only like to read, but who don't use apps at all. I got it, and occasionally read on it, but I like apps too. You can get barely any apps on it, and i would like a tablet that actually had most of them.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 12, 2012 6:37:14 PM PDT
Jazzy_Jeff says:
There are other places to get apps.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 17, 2012 1:20:59 PM PDT
I have Android and still get all my apps through Amazon and have Kindle downloaded on my Android tablet. Plus, I can go outside Amazon for apps too.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 17, 2012 1:45:50 PM PDT
Jake, I must say, I don't think you're looking in the right places, but I've never seen an app in the market I wasn't able to find someplace else (legally. I don't pirate. Ever.) to get the apk file and download it directly to my fire.

I'm not trying to be contrary or snarky. Just think it would be a shame for JQP or new users to think the app selection is so limited when it's not. Ya' know?

Posted on Mar 17, 2012 1:51:26 PM PDT
I agree with Tangie. I have yet to find an app that is unavailable in the Amazon store that I couldn't sideload using the .apk file.

In reply to an earlier post on May 1, 2012 8:20:03 AM PDT
K. Oien says:
I'm with you on these points. I have had a Fire for about a year, and am dissapointed about the difficulty picking up wi-fi (going in and out), plus the battery life is poor. I have also had trouble charging my Fire. At times I charge it overnight, and after 10 hours it still is not fully charged!

In reply to an earlier post on May 1, 2012 8:49:04 AM PDT
jsh1120 says:
If you've had a Fire "for about a year" Amazon would like to know where you got it.

In reply to an earlier post on May 1, 2012 9:31:42 AM PDT
 nospin  says:
If you would tell us a little more about where you are having these wifi issues, I am sure someone could help you.

Since the Fire has only been out since November 15, 2011, you are within the one year warranty and can call customer service if you think your device won't hold a charge and needs replacement.

Posted on May 11, 2012 11:46:01 AM PDT
chris says:
We have limited data on our Verizon Mi-Fi, so I'm thinking an Android tablet would be best for us. Downloaded vs. streaming. Does this sound right?

Posted on May 11, 2012 11:53:08 AM PDT
There is substantially no difference between downloading and streaming.

In reply to an earlier post on May 11, 2012 11:58:58 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 11, 2012 12:02:59 PM PDT
Lynelle V says:
Not true. The difference is with Streaming, you re-download every time you access. If it's on the device, it's there, no more downloading.
I have a max 5 gig per month. I download. If I streamed, I'd use it up in a week. Example: I play my favorite song every day for 7 days. Streaming: I've downloaded it 7 times, counting against my wifi limit each time. Loaded on my device via USB from my pc: I've never used up any download time.

There are options, though. Even though the kindle fire doesn't have an sd slot, which would be ideal, there are wifi flash drives which can provide extra physical storage.

Posted on May 11, 2012 12:02:29 PM PDT
that's true, but I was referring to streaming one time, vs. downloading.

In reply to an earlier post on May 11, 2012 12:03:54 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 11, 2012 12:04:36 PM PDT
Lynelle V says:
Right, but that's the point, with a limited wifi account, you have to watch your streaming. Lots of people have limited accounts, and therefore cloud storage isn't the world's best thing for them (and me).

Nonetheless, I love my Kindle Fire, use it every day.

In reply to an earlier post on May 11, 2012 12:05:32 PM PDT
chris says:
Once it's downloaded, it's done. With streaming, every time you view or listen, it has to be downloaded. So one download vs multiple downloads. Correct or not? Really interest in the Kinder fire, but don't want to blow our internet budget.

Posted on May 11, 2012 12:06:26 PM PDT
I have a fire. I travel and I don't seem to have any problems with the size of storage space on it. I have all the apps I want on it and I have so many books I will never read them all in a years time. I have alot of music on it. I don't really use it for watching movies or tv but I do alot of web surfing, game playing, and book reading on it. I have about 50 pdf files on it as well. When I travel I usually stay in hotels with free wifi so I don't have to worry about that. and while I am traveling in a car I can't use it anyway so I don't worry about that part. I never fly so if i did fly I wouldn't use the internet while flying anyway I would read listen to my music or play my games.

I have looked at many tablets and the one thing I like most about the fire vs the other android tablets is there isn't a monthly charge to use it. unless you are a prime member than you have a charge.

In reply to an earlier post on May 11, 2012 12:16:36 PM PDT
chris says:
I don't see us doing a lot of downloading anyway, so maybe the fire would be fine- all would probably fit on it. Can you store your files on a PC and load from there?

In reply to an earlier post on May 11, 2012 12:34:13 PM PDT
joseph says:
with an application called Splashtop Remote Desktop you can stream your entire desktop/laptop from your fire and control everything on it. I've watched videos, listened to music and watched hulu from it and it works perfectly.

In reply to an earlier post on May 11, 2012 12:43:50 PM PDT
Jazzy_Jeff says:
By the time you pay for one of those drives you might just get a tablet with more storage and extra features.

In reply to an earlier post on May 11, 2012 1:10:29 PM PDT
 nospin  says:
Not if more than one person if accessing the information. The wi-drive streams to 3 devices at a time.

Like most things, it depends upon your situation.

Posted on May 11, 2012 1:24:21 PM PDT
flipoid says:
I just got the Kingston wi-drive last week and I love it. I especially love that I can now watch movies I've bought without having them taking up room on the Fire, and without needing a wi-fi signal to stream them from Dropbox or Box.net. The only thing you can't put on the wi-drive (I haven't tried, but it was reported by other users on a thread here) are Amazon videos that you've purchased and that are in your cloud.

I got the 32GB one for $89 and for me it's worth every penny.

In reply to an earlier post on May 11, 2012 1:27:39 PM PDT
Jazzy_Jeff says:
That to me is too expensive. I have a tablet with a full sized USB port. I can get a 32GB flash drive for under $20.
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Kindle forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  68
Total posts:  109
Initial post:  Sep 30, 2011
Latest post:  Aug 2, 2015

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 15 customers

Search Customer Discussions