Industrial-Sized Deals Shop all Back to School Shop Women's Handbags Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon $5 Albums $5 Off Fire TV Stick Off to College Essentials Shop Popular Services pivdl pivdl pivdl  Amazon Echo Starting at $99 Kindle Voyage Nintendo Digital Games Big Savings in the Amazon Fall Sportsman Event Deal of the Day
Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

Kindle Fire WiFi signal with an x. Connected to my network but not the internet

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 51-75 of 182 posts in this discussion
Posted on Nov 23, 2011 8:18:19 PM PST
Karen says:
And here's what you're missing it works for me! One wireless linksys router and one westell modem.

Get over it lol!! What a horrible teacher you are. When will you offer HOW to configure the router? Chasing me won't help others. I think they're paying you too much at that school of yours.

What can Fire owner DO to Connect? Any positive recommendations? Haven't seen one from you yet.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 23, 2011 8:22:27 PM PST
Karen says:
Les do yourslf a favor and stop replying? You look foolish telling me what I have in my house. Down right foolish! This will all go away for you if you just stop replying lol! One modem one linksys wireless router and internet connection. Don't like it well it's too bad! Grow up and act like a man!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 23, 2011 8:22:36 PM PST
flipoid says:
We've seen enough bad advice from you, David. Just let this die.

Posted on Nov 23, 2011 8:24:54 PM PST
Karen says:
Lol!!!! This is funny!!! Why not just stop replying? Like I said, one router and one modem lol. Hey it works!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 23, 2011 8:30:17 PM PST
Dittie says:
"Now I do have a problem with my kindle fire dropping the internet connection after 2 - 3 hours of connection. I have to reboot my router to get internet connection back on my kindle fire, this is a real bug that shouldn't happen..... but I'm confident Amazon will provide a breakfix for this issue........ "

Hey, cearly it doesn't work.

Posted on Nov 23, 2011 8:35:18 PM PST
Karen says:
LOL several people are having this issue not just me. Oh snap! My Fire hasn't lost signal in two day. I guess it does work LOL.

All this spitting and crying and not one of you offered assistance to those in need of getting connected. Why not offer helpful advice on HOW to connect rather than chasing me around like some lost puppies and reading cats lol!!!!

Posted on Nov 24, 2011 11:34:35 AM PST
Jeffrey Ash says:
OK, so I went to a bar with wifi and tried my kindle fire and it worked 100%.
So the problem is in my home. Just called the guy who will be around to fix this.
Pardon the misleading previous post

Posted on Nov 24, 2011 8:44:58 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 24, 2011 8:47:24 PM PST
User 4259 says:
My Kindle Fire is dropping wifi connection too but only when not in use (as it should be), that is to say when the device turns off on its own or is turned off.
The problem is re-establishing the connection when it is turned on again. It won't reconnect unless and until I do a power reset on the router.
I don't know if this is a router problem or a kindle problem. I use an inexpensive Cisco, Linksys WRT120N router. I'll gladly upgrade if it'll help..
Any ideas?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 24, 2011 8:47:36 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 24, 2011 8:48:48 PM PST
Les Bell says:
If your router supports 802.11n, can you try disabling that and configuring it for just 802.11b/g? I think that's the common thread to all these reports.

ETA: I see you've fixed the model number! Yes, it does support 802.11n, and I'd be interested to know if disabling that helps.

Posted on Nov 25, 2011 12:16:05 AM PST
Karen says:
My router is Linksys b/g WRT54GS. I wonder if the dropped wireless signal and other wireless issues are related to having an outdated wireless linksys router. I plan to upgrade tomorrow and see if that helps with the dropping signal problem. Haven't happened for a few days but the wireless router and modem should be configured correctly with an upgrade.

Posted on Nov 25, 2011 7:04:08 PM PST
Karen says:
Purchased a new router (netgear) and had immediate kindle fire internet connection after setting up my security. Maybe it was the outdated linksys router that caused the initial problems.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 25, 2011 7:38:32 PM PST
User 4259 says:
Sorry, I couldn't find the spot to disable 802.11n.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 25, 2011 7:45:40 PM PST
Les Bell says:
It should be under "Basic Wireless Settings (Manual)". Set Network Mode to "BG-Mixed", and that disables 802.11n. See p.10 of the User Guide, accessible at http://homesupport.cisco.com/en-us/wireless/lbc/WRT120N

Posted on Nov 27, 2011 10:15:30 AM PST
User 4259 says:
I solved a tenuous connection to a LINKSYS router by updating its firmware (1.0.4 to 1.0.6). Just make sure to read and follow the instructions thoroughly before you attempt the update.

(Note: I posted this msg at another similar thread. I hope it helps)

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 27, 2011 6:22:12 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 27, 2011 6:29:22 PM PST
Same problem, but only when watching prime videos. Otherwise it surfs & everything else perfectly. I LOVE this kindle fire, they will fix the issue with an update soon. It drops the wifi connection for maybe 5 seconds and then reconnects immediately without me doing anything. Then I just have to hit play again. Using a Belkin N600 HD router and have no problems with any other equipment, including an Ipad2.

Posted on Nov 27, 2011 8:28:35 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 30, 2011 9:28:37 AM PST
I agree that Amazon will come up with an updated firmware that will patch this issue.
I have a Linksys E3000 router that is capable of reserving an IP for each of my home wireless devices according to their MAC numbers. By doing this I avoid the occasional IP conflicts.
Possibly this issue might be related to IP conflicts.
I was having the wifi with the x appearing after a while and the kindle fire was the only device on which I had not yet included in the IP reserve list, but now that I have designated a reserved IP, this issue has stoped

Posted on Nov 29, 2011 4:46:38 PM PST
JoSausage says:
My kindle is working anywhere but not in my home network. All my other network wireless or lan has no problem but the kindle gets stuck at build the web page and shows wireless signal o.k without x...don't know what to do....

Posted on Nov 30, 2011 3:19:12 AM PST
DMJ says:
I don't know if this has been addressed already, but honestly there are too many post to scroll through. However, I use wifi at home through my Internet/cable modem/wireless router. When I leave home and want to use wifi on the go, I turn on my att 4G elevate hotspot thingy. The problem is everytime I turn on the hotspot device the kindle picks it up right away, but it has the little X underneath it. On top of that, an annoying message pops up saying something along the lines of "The network you are connecting to requires you to sign in." The thing is ive already done that and "saved" the password. Even after entering the passowrd multiple times it continues to pop up. The "fix" is only when I completely shut the kindle down then turn it back on the wifi symbol is fine without the little X. Does this mean I will have to restart my kindle everytime I connect it to my 4G hotspot? That would be ridiculous. Any ideas?

PS. This never happens with my wifi at home.it automatically picks it up and doesn't ask for a password/restart or any of that. It just works right away.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 30, 2011 3:22:25 AM PST
Les Bell says:
tl;dr

http://securitasdato.blogspot.com/2011/02/wi-fi-and-kindle.html

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 30, 2011 3:43:22 AM PST
DMJ says:
Thanks Les, But what part of that applies to my situation?

Posted on Nov 30, 2011 4:03:31 PM PST
Jim B says:
We bought a Kindle Fire when it came out but could not get it to connect to our D-Link router. It recognizes the network, accepts the password and connects to the wireless, shows that it is connected with excellent signal strength picks up the correct time, etc but will note connect to the internet. After much discussion with an Amazon tech support guy, he sent me a cable that allows connection of the Kindle to my computer so I could download the 6.1 software upgrade. Did that but it doesn't seem to execute on the Kindle -- still shows system version 6.0. They sent new device but it has same issues. A new Amazon tech said it had to be router and I should call router support. I was skeptical so I tried it at an AT&T hotspot and it did the same thing -- acquired wireless but not internet. Ideas?

Posted on Nov 30, 2011 4:09:25 PM PST
DMJ says:
I think the new 6.2 update may have fixed this. I've updated and it doesn't seem to be happening now.

Posted on Nov 30, 2011 4:22:00 PM PST
Jim B says:
Dejae, When I download the new software, it doesn't seem to execute. I can see on the computer the various software on the Kindle and that the upgrade is on the Kindle, but when I look on the Kindle device and go to System Version, under the Device tab, it still shows system version 6.0. There is an "update your Kindle" button but it does not light up to allow me to use it. How did you get the new software to take effect on your Kindle?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 30, 2011 8:18:25 PM PST
DMJ says:
Jim, oddly enough...it did it on its own. I just happen to look down and I saw that it it was restarting by itself. Jim try hitting the sync button up top after hitting the settings gear.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 5, 2011 11:56:43 AM PST
You must have been terribly lucky. My Ethernet cable has been connected to port 1 of my wireless router/bridge all along while trying to get my Kindle Fire connected to the Internet. I've had no luck at all with this frustrating project. Actiontec was of little help, nor was Verizon other to say that they don't support Kindle readers. Anybody else have success in any manner?
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Kindle forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Announcement
News: Software Update for Kindle Voyage, Kindle Paperwhite, and Kindle
0 21 days ago
Announcement
Amazon Introduces New Kindle Paperwhite: The Most Popular Kindle, Now Even Better
0 Jun 18, 2015
Announcement
Welcome to the Kindle Discussion Forum - A Congregation of Kindle Enthusiasts
0 Mar 20, 2015
return and use as credit for another audio book 40 5 minutes ago
Welcome To The Quirky Zoo! Home To Many Exotic and Everyday Creatures Including a Platypus! 7779 13 minutes ago
Verizon E-Address Book Copied via Mozilla Thunderbird to Kindle Fire HD 0 15 minutes ago
Chargers that Will Charge Kindle Paperwhite and iPhone 6 1 21 minutes ago
Petition for more customization of screensavers/lockscreens for all Kindle Ereaders 30 30 minutes ago
No keyboard on Kindle Fire HD??? 55 32 minutes ago
FREE Books & Chat - September 2015 116 37 minutes ago
Donald Trump 39 1 hour ago
My text to speech stopped working 1 1 hour ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  93
Total posts:  182
Initial post:  Nov 19, 2011
Latest post:  Jul 24, 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 21 customers

Search Customer Discussions