Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

A Million or so Kindle books available now: where to get them and how

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 51-75 of 1000 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Feb 1, 2008 11:54:53 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 12, 2008 10:13:11 AM PST
whiterabbit says:
Bumping the post some more. It's been priceless so far! :)

I downloaded the free Mobipocket Reader 6.1 a couple days ago. It is so nice! I can put all my downloaded books into there. I assume I'll be able to transfer these to my Kindle when I get it... ?

Update 2/12:

Received Kindle yesterday (you guys who are still waiting for one.. you are going to LOVE it!!!). All my unprotected files in Mobipocket were super easy to transfer (drag and drop into documents folder of Kindle (In explore). All formats worked (.txt, Palm, and .mobi). yes!

Thanks again, T. Beck for your wonderful, helpful list!!

Ordered 1/12, received 2/11
:)

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 2, 2008 2:36:35 PM PST
D. J. Ohde says:
Great Post and I want to bump it back to the first page. The relative open nature of the Kindle is what attracted me to it. I evaluated a lot of readers when my ebookwise device was lost or stolen. The Kindle seems to provide the best functionality for the price and about 98% of the few hundred ebooks I own can be put on it. Now if Amazon and the publishing industry will open up their book formats like Baen does it would be even better. I am a big believer in Non DRM books so I will buy very few if any of the Amazon ebooks, but I think I will still love the reader.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 9, 2008 6:57:21 PM PST
Thought I would bump this so new kindle owners, and prospective owners that may not have seen it, could take a look. I got my Kindle yesterday and have already downloaded several free books.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 10, 2008 5:15:40 AM PST
Lorene says:
Thank you sooooo much! Very helpful! I just ordered my Kindle on 02/08 so I have a lot of wait time to check out these sites.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 10, 2008 6:28:29 AM PST
Brent says:
H. Jacobs: For full instructions, see the Kindle Fan Guide, at http://brentnewhall.com/kindlefanguide

PLEASE let me know if those instructions aren't enough.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 10, 2008 9:40:01 PM PST
T. Beck says:
Thanks, I've added it in there. If there are other suggestions for me to put on that post, let me know, I'll add them in so there is a single place to look.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 12, 2008 9:55:10 AM PST
Thanks, this is great- and keeping the thread alive...

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 18, 2008 4:06:52 PM PST
Blackbeard says:
Keeping this one up front.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 20, 2008 4:53:31 AM PST
J. Childs says:
Would truly appreciate knowing how to download from Gutenberg to Kindle with proper formatting. I'm interested primarily in the classics for my Kindle.

Jim Childs

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 20, 2008 5:34:13 AM PST
J. True says:
Many Gutenburg books are available free from manybooks.net, already formatted for the Kindle. I have downloaded a few 19th Century Classics (Dickens, Bronte, etc), and they all have come nicely formated for the Kindle.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 20, 2008 6:03:21 AM PST
Fan Ye says:
I'll disagree that Manybooks titles look good (no authors, straight from ASCII, etc.) but add (for Kindle books that DO look good):

2,000 or so from the forums at Mobileread.com
25,000 from munseys.com for download via USB cable
25,000 from munseys.com/joomla for download via the web browser, and
maybe 600 from boysbooks.org (specialty site for, well, young men).

Remember to pick books formatted for "Mobipocket."

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 20, 2008 7:16:50 AM PST
My son is starting college this fall. What do you think of the chances that any significant percentage of college textbooks will be available for Kindle? What a boon to college students if they could carry all their textbooks in a Kindle and annotate their copies!!!

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 20, 2008 7:19:57 AM PST
Ivy says:
That is great information. I can't wait to try it. Thanks for posting. :)

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 20, 2008 7:39:14 AM PST
"My son is starting college this fall. What do you think of the chances that any significant percentage of college textbooks will be available for Kindle? What a boon to college students if they could carry all their textbooks in a Kindle and annotate their copies!!! "

It does sound like a great idea, but I doubt it will happen anytime soon. Textbook producers make too much money producing new editions every few years to lose out on the $'s by making kindle editions. What is possible is that many assigned reading books from college classes will be available.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 20, 2008 1:43:26 PM PST
There are some compatibility issues with Mobipocket 6.1 and the Kindle. Version 6.0 allows for easy transfers to Kindle and the books land in the proper folder, 'Documents.' It also allows for actual syncing with the Kindle and is an excellent RSS feed reader. I placed a copy at Sendspace so anyone can download.

http://www.sendspace.com/file/invppq

Since you don't know me, I recommend virus scanning all downloads.

Woody
===============================
whiterabbit says:
I downloaded the free Mobipocket Reader 6.1 a couple days ago. It is so nice! I can put all my downloaded books into there. I assume I'll be able to transfer these to my Kindle when I get it... ?

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 21, 2008 11:46:51 AM PST
D. J. Ohde says:
This post needs to be bumped back to the front page for newbies.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 22, 2008 4:40:02 AM PST
J. Childs says:
Thank you for your post. However, what is your meaning to "(and for a fifteen minute investment, they can be nicely formatted)" ? I'd like to change the vanilla copy.

Best to you,

Jim Childs

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 22, 2008 9:01:32 AM PST
I would like to purchase The Heart Moves in a Circular Direction ,by Ingeborg Gubler Casey, but I can only find the e-book at iuniverse .com and it's in an Adobe e-book. Will that translate to my Kindle like any other .pdf file?

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 22, 2008 10:20:33 AM PST
Merralin says:
Beth, I have had good luck with .pdf documents that are primarily text books as opposed to books with lots of tables, charts, and illustrations. From the Browse Before You Buy feature on the iuniverse site, it looks like this book would fit into that category. So, yes, it should be readable on the Kindle unless iuniverse has some kind of copy protection.

Jan
The Kindle Reader
http://kindlereader.blogspot.com

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 1, 2008 4:21:52 AM PST
Nightodie says:
Time to Bump to the front again

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 1, 2008 6:22:57 AM PST
Yes, this definitely has to stay at the top of the list. ;)

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 3, 2008 3:47:15 AM PST
bump!

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 7, 2008 10:58:44 AM PST
whiterabbit says:
Thanks for the tip, John. Actually I have not noticed any problems with Mobipocket 6.1. It configured and transferred all my gutenberg.org files OK, I thought? I transferred them into my memory card folder on the Kindle.

What is the problem with it?

There are some compatibility issues with Mobipocket 6.1 and the Kindle. Version 6.0 allows for easy transfers to Kindle and the books land in the proper folder, 'Documents.' It also allows for actual syncing with the Kindle and is an excellent RSS feed reader. I placed a copy at Sendspace so anyone can download.

http://www.sendspace.com/file/invppq

Since you don't know me, I recommend virus scanning all downloads.

Woody

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 10, 2008 7:38:45 AM PDT
D. J. Ohde says:
bump to the top. A must read for all people new to the Kindle.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 11, 2008 8:45:14 AM PDT
Lorene says:
Just bumping this to the front.
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Kindle forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  374
Total posts:  1271
Initial post:  Dec 20, 2007
Latest post:  Dec 22, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 219 customers

Search Customer Discussions