Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

Announcement

Kindle for iPad and Kindle Cloud Reader Update

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 51-75 of 121 posts in this discussion
Posted on Jun 18, 2012 1:52:27 PM PDT
Annmarie says:
I have multiple accounts in kindle..in my name ..and Multi kindles. I keep my entire library stored on my iPad, using the leave store on device button. A button which has been removed, so now I loose all my books if I attempt to fix this problem by deleted app, and starting over.
Plus I have no way of undoing my horrible mistake.
I have a library of over 2000 books so yeah would be nice to access from a central private hub!
Thank u so much for screwing up my #1 outlet

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 18, 2012 2:47:31 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 18, 2012 2:51:41 PM PDT
Annmarie says:
Unfortunately last sync was after update.
I don't see a history of syn to pick from. Plus apple said cloud was a sync not an system restore...hum missing my hp about now!!

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 18, 2012 2:59:09 PM PDT
CLS10 says:
Sorry that you sync'd after you updated. I never do that in case I don't like the new app version. My method was not a system restore--all it does was revert back to a previous app version because that would have been the last one sync'd with itunes.

Posted on Jun 18, 2012 9:10:14 PM PDT
Well for me the update works. That does not mean I like it. To me it seems so crowded with the narrow margins. I have to go to iBooks. I need the choices of different fonts and better margins. I hope Amazon changes the iPad app and gives me more choices. I love Amazon support and the easy refund policy even though I rarely return a book.

Posted on Jun 19, 2012 11:31:56 PM PDT
Annmarie says:
horrible update wish someone would have warned me.
Had no idea mistakes could not undone,
new iPad
sync after update
my only option now is to possibly sync with my mothers iTunes.
because i won't be reading from this app.
it bites

Posted on Jun 20, 2012 2:22:09 PM PDT
Kat says:
Would read to me and background music be available any time soon? For children's books?

Posted on Jun 20, 2012 4:09:13 PM PDT
I currently cannot get the Kindle App OR cloud reader working on my iPad - just get a blank screen with the Reader :(

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 20, 2012 4:31:43 PM PDT
Jeanie says:
I love reading Kindle books on my IPad, but the App is so hard to get around in. It would be wonderful to be able to categorize books.. such as cook books, children's books, mysterys, new books, read books.. etc. (user defined).

Having to scroll through a large amount of books when I am looking for a specific recipe book for something.. or when a grand child visits and we want to read a children's book is very hard to do and takes considerable time.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 20, 2012 6:05:09 PM PDT
I lost a few, but in all fairness, I always got them on sale.

Posted on Jun 20, 2012 7:52:49 PM PDT
D. MCBRIDE says:
Please tell me what happened to the 'back' button. Trying to maneuver through my pages is now painfully frustrating.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 21, 2012 8:34:00 AM PDT
J. Romeo says:
Ian,
De-register the app and then delete it from your iPad. Then reinstall it and register the app. It worked for me. Nothing was lost. I have all my books and they open to the place where I left off.

Posted on Jun 21, 2012 4:52:13 PM PDT
I used to love the Kindle app, but now, ugh... The new lack of margins is atrocious. You had a great, eye-pleasing page design before, why did you ruin it? Were the graphic designers laid-off or something?

Please, please, please revert to the old style (or at the very least, give us the option to have it either way.) Either that, or I might just have to switch over to Apple's iBooks after I'm done reading what remains of my Kindle books.

Or maybe you're trying to make us switch back to only buying physical books? At least then, the page design doesn't suddenly change to something horrible right out from under us ;-)

Posted on Jun 21, 2012 5:10:11 PM PDT
Brian I could not agree more. I never thought I would have to buy books through the Apple iBook system but until the Kindle team fixes this I dont see what other choice I have. I dont know how many people purchase their books from Amazon and use the iPad. Does anybody think they would have an economic incentive to fix this?

Posted on Jun 21, 2012 6:34:09 PM PDT
C. S. Stein says:
Has there been any response from Kindle management to the complaints about the margins and spacing?

HELLO AMAZON???

Posted on Jun 22, 2012 8:59:23 AM PDT
Mark Nadel says:
Since the update dated June 14, I can't open any books on my IPad, whether they were already on the device or downloaded from the Cloud. In fact, a purchased book didn't even appear on my device until I deleted the app and then re-loaded. Not a big improvement, since I couldn't open it anyway.

Posted on Jun 22, 2012 11:39:31 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 22, 2012 11:40:12 AM PDT
oedo808 says:
Hey, this update (cloud player) is working great for my graphic novel.. but I've been reading a textbook and it seems around the time of this update I was given the option of a two column layout which was fantastic. Since then it forced me back to single column and I don't see the option anymore. Seemed like it was working fine.. was it buggy for others??

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 22, 2012 6:16:32 PM PDT
Bufo Calvin says:
C.S. Stein, if you'd like to give Amazon feedback about the Kindle, Kindle apps, and the Kindle service you can do that here:

kindle-feedback@amazon.com

If you'd like to talk with someone about an issue, you can go to

http://www.amazon.com/kindlesupport

You'll see a

Contact Us

button. You can call them, have them call you, use e-mail, and chat.

This is a forum Amazon provides for people interested in Kindles and Kindle books to talk to each other. They do make announcements here, and sometimes comment, but I wouldn't count on a response here...they provide this more for us to talk to each other.

Posted on Jun 23, 2012 8:59:36 AM PDT
Thank you Dragi Raos for the feedback address. I am with those that do not care for the new "tight" margins and words. If we could choose between old and new settings that would be ideal.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 23, 2012 6:08:23 PM PDT
J. Silva says:
Same here. Clicking to download a book shuts down the app.

Posted on Jun 24, 2012 7:45:20 PM PDT
McChix says:
I updated the Kindle app on my iPad 3 a week ago and have been unable to open the Kindle app ever since. I contacted Amazon customer support and told them that since i can no longer even open their app, I wanted my money back for the ebook I purchased a couple weeks ago. They credited my account and I ordered the same book in Apple's iBook app for the same price.

It's a shame how unresponsive Amazon has been on this issue as I have been a customer of Amazon's for almost 10 years. I'll be ordering my ebooks through the iBooks app from now on.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 24, 2012 10:19:45 PM PDT
ouizee47 says:
In other words I take it the prevention is simple..do NOT update the kindle? Mine is the Kindle Fire, and I don't have an I-Pad or whatever.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 25, 2012 4:46:24 AM PDT
R. D. Clark says:
ouizee, this thread has nothing to do with the Fire.

Posted on Jun 25, 2012 6:31:07 AM PDT
J. Romeo says:
McChix,
You should have either come to this thread first, or emailed customer service, in regards to your Kindle app problem. It's an easy fix which I will repeat for everyone...
Deregister the Kindle app
Delete it from your iPad
Reinstall it and register.
These steps are straight from Amazon customer service. It worked when my app was crashing, I followed their instructions and everything is now fine.Although, I should not have had to do any of this in the first place because the app should have worked from the get go. However, these things happen and they will happen again to other apps we like. I will continue to get my ebooks off of Amazon.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 25, 2012 7:25:42 AM PDT
R. D. Clark says:
This solution does work. The app functions properly, including the implementation of "panel view" in graphic novels, after following this procedure.

It will require re-downloading whatever Kindle content you keep on your iPad, and re-transferring (during a sync) any material from non-Amazon sources you may be keeping on your device. This can be a real PITA, and of course shouldn't have been necessary.

This version of the app is so completely and thoroughly broken that it's difficult to understand how it could have been released. If it only works for people who don't use any of the new features, and if trying to use the new features always makes it crash, how could it have been tested at all?

Posted on Jun 25, 2012 9:16:19 AM PDT
Mary McManus says:
It seems to me that switching to iBooks is cutting off your nose to spite your face unless you only had bought one Kindle book from Amazon in which case you were in a position to go elsewhere. Those of us with several hundred (and in some cases several thousand) books do not want to start over. I did not have the problem that some did, but I would have tried the fix which has been presented before I would have abandoned my books. But then I also have Kindles as well as the iPad so have options as to where to read them.
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Kindle forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  63
Total posts:  121
Initial post:  Jun 14, 2012
Latest post:  Jun 10, 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 21 customers

Search Customer Discussions