Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

Noah's BOMB SHELTER: Where the off-topic is on topic!

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 8001-8025 of 1000 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Jun 4, 2012 8:14:11 PM PDT
You're sweet! :)

It's on the way!

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 5, 2012 6:25:15 AM PDT
Zebras says:
Tell my husband that!

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 5, 2012 10:15:50 AM PDT
Ok. "Hey, Mr. Zebras, it's on the way!!!"

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 5, 2012 10:17:14 AM PDT
?wazithinkin says:
*snort*

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 5, 2012 10:18:29 AM PDT
?wazithinkin says:
Zeb's do I need to poke hubby with my stick? Cause you are a sweetie and he needs to realize this! >:)

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 5, 2012 1:08:11 PM PDT
Zebras says:
Yes, you do, thank you. Cause bashing him with a frying pan didn't work.

Posted on Jun 5, 2012 2:23:09 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Jun 5, 2012 2:24:16 PM PDT]

Posted on Jun 5, 2012 2:23:31 PM PDT
Noah, if you read some of the authors who write a great many books while promoting full time, sometimes it shows. I hate to say, I'm hoping to retire early in about ten years, then write and promote full time. With a pension.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 5, 2012 4:24:22 PM PDT
Yeah, I need to get on one of those 48-hour-day plans. 24 hour days are wayyy short!

Posted on Jun 5, 2012 5:43:46 PM PDT
Lenora says:
My moving date is set for June 21st. I've got a lot of purging and packing to do, but I'm looking forward to being in my new apartment.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 5, 2012 7:19:03 PM PDT
?wazithinkin says:
Oh, goody! I made the point not so pointy so there won't be as much blood to clean up afterwords! But he should have some whopper bruises when I am done. :)

Sits quietly in the corner of the bedroom waiting, waiting, waiting to pounce on Zebra's hubby . . .

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 5, 2012 7:23:06 PM PDT
?wazithinkin says:
Ten years! :( Noah has many more years than that to wait till retirement! I know it is hard to promote your books, but I am looking forward to next ones from both of you!

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 5, 2012 7:25:22 PM PDT
?wazithinkin says:
Good luck, Lenora! Moving is busy work! But I think it will be worth it in the long run.

Posted on Jun 5, 2012 7:37:58 PM PDT
And we both appreciate that very much!

Posted on Jun 9, 2012 2:19:01 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 9, 2012 2:48:34 PM PDT
Edwin Stark says:
Here's the first chapter of Eco Station One's sequel, the book I'm currently working on:

CHAPTER ONE:
FAMILY LIFE

The day when this tale begins was a regular, normal, average, standard, typical and common Sunday morning. Marina was in the kitchen cooking, totally engrossed with learning new non-fattening recipes, ever since she discovered that she was two pounds over her ideal ninety-eight (non-weakling) ideal weight.
I told her that it was utter nonsense to worry about that, doing my best to reassure her those two extra pounds looked great on her five foot two inches, well shaped, petite frame. But she would have none of it; she was entering her thirty-sixth birthday crisis (which was due next week), hence her current obsession.
She even went to the length of scotch-taping a Megan-Fox-in-bathing-suit picture to the fridge door, meaning to use it as an incentive to watch her weight. But when she noticed that it was I the one who had increased his regular trips to the refrigerator, she promptly changed it with an Ann-Ramsey-in-a-bikini picture, which I suspect was for the better good in the end.
Ah, excuse my manners. I forgot to introduce myself. I'm Eduardo Sinnombre and Marina (previously Polidouris) is my little wife. For those unfamiliar with the daily happenings of our household, the tale of how Marina and I hitched together is told in Eco Station One. For those familiar with us, let me tell you that five years have gone by since those events occurred, that we have three lovely triplet girls, a dashing baby boy and we own a luxurious apartment flat in Altamira Plaza, overlooking that small cafeteria that was such an important part of our lives. It's a great place; it has five rooms, kitchen, two and 3/4 bathrooms, a big living room, a reading den, a playing room, its own sikrit lab (don't look at me that way; that's exactly how it's spelled on the entry door), complete with drawbridge and torture dungeon.
Yes, we still live in Caracas, Venezuela; we tried to migrate somewhere else, but the rest of the world has become a bit unfriendly toward Venezuelans, after our home country became a rogue state that supports terrorist factions. Besides, it's very hard to relocate when two of our baby girls have Red Alert files with the Interpol, and are wanted for questioning. You know; the less said, the better.
As I said earlier, it was early Sunday and Marina and I were quite lucky to be on our own for the duration of the entire weekend. The kids were staying with their granny, my mother, who was an elderly lady of seventy-eight these days. She used to hunt down criminals and prowlers with her double-barreled shotgun, but not anymore. Mom was now taking care of her grandchildren until next Tuesday, but I suspect that our three little angels were becoming a bad influence for her: I heard that the last time my girls visited my mother, they busied themselves in teaching her how to blow up train bridges or something. Of course, Mom, being the eager old lady she is, took to this new knowledge with great enthusiasm. Tsk, tsk.
People in our lives believe that we used a great deal of imagination in naming our kids, but allow me to disagree. No imagination at all.
You see, there's little Anastasia and we named her after that Meg Ryan animated movie about the Russian princess, which is one of Marina's favorite movies. As all the other members of her triplet tag-team from hell, she's four-year-and-five-months old and you can hardly distinguish the little darling from her siblings-if you only rely on her physical traits-for they are identical triplets. She has long, curly blond tresses and cornflower blue eyes, which is very curious since neither Marina nor I are fair-haired. Mom is, so I guess it leapt a generation. Or maybe it was the heavy dose of Ikawiri aphrodisiac poison to which Marina had been exposed to, especially while she lay naked and ready for sacrifice to the pygmies' Great White Cockroach God. Maybe that crap did scramble our kids' genes a little. But I'm digressing.
You can only tell who Anastasia is by watching her closely for a little while. She tends to act coyly, quite fitting her lovely Russian Princess name... that is, of course, when she's not busy teaching her grandmother how to blow bridges.
Then there's little Alias who, being only five minutes younger than her sister Anastasia, acted from day one as the group's leader. She tends to be rather bossy, sometimes. But she acts in good faith and really knows how to knit the triplets together as a team, organizing and plotting all their little schemes, down to the smallest detail. People believe we christened her after that old TV series, but in reality her name derives from a character of my favorite Dungeon and Dragons' book.
And there's little Vladimir (???); she's the mischievous one. If neither Anastasia nor Alias can come up with a neat option for a nasty prank, she will. Marina and I soon learned that with her around, there are things better left unasked. (i.e.: Vlad? Did you decide it was fun to shave the dog with Dad's electric razor? 'Nuff said).
One day, Vladdie came to me, her eyes rimmed in red. It was obvious that she had been crying. No wonder; she was only three years and a half back then, and you get to cry a lot over many things at that age.
"Daddy-why did I get such an ugly name?" she complained, quite bitterly. I let her sit on my knees, wiped the snot from her nose with a hankie and I took for myself the task of explaining little Vladdie that it was either her current name or Marina's grandmother's name. Vladdie suddenly sobered up, and reluctantly acknowledged that she was better off with a name like Vladimir. Of course, it helps a lot if you know that your granny's name on the mother side was Hermenegilda.
The most funny thing about my three little angels is that they're awfully quiet; at first we thought-in that scared fatherly/motherly way that parents have to worry in, that they were autistic or Abby Normal-but that fear was instantly dispelled the moment they learned how to speak. They're communicative as hell when they decide to speak their minds to other members of the family, but amongst them they have an eerie way of communicating between each other, without saying a single word.
And let's not forget our baby boy, Desmond (you can blame my Mom for that name, 'cause she's the one who came up with it. Marina can't handle the D's in her own son's name: she prefers to call him 'Bob'... must be a Mediterranean thing). He's two-years old and the eager helper of his big sisters. You can always see him carry around their dynamite sticks and blasting charges for them. He seems to be rather big for his age, so I guess that's why he missed the terrible-two stage altogether. I dread the moment he enters the terrible-three moment of his life. He could make a career out from it.
Since the kids weren't about, Marina and I had been indulging in the usual routine we had before our little angels became an important part of our life: cooking, sexual Olympics, reading books, sex, listening to music while cuddling together, sex, painting, sex, watching movies on the DVD player... did I already mention sex?
So, when this tale starts, Marina was in the kitchen, trying out her new repertoire of low-fat recipes (one involved the use of a blowtorch... don't ask) and I was in the living room, taking a restful break before our next sex encounter, and enjoying a DVD movie of Dimbo, my favorite action hero. Dimbo is a not-very-bright super-warrior that can take on against the armies of the whole world, with only a nail clipper and some nail polish (yes, I know that sounds a bit queer, but you ought to see how he manages to wipe out the entire Afghanistan army with a single bottle of Nair to believe it). In this particular movie, Dimbo had troubles with his parachute, during a routine insertion mission into the deepest jungles of Brooklyn. He decides to act very macho about it and uses his trusty knife to get rid of the entangled parachute; afterwards, he lands head first into a concrete slab.
If you knew Dimbo as well as I do, you'd be unworried too; you'd know he'll be unharmed since no vital organ (i.e. Dimbo's brain) had been damaged during that rough landing. Curiously, this made me think about the three Mendoza brothers, from whom I haven't heard for some time. Six months, to be exact.
The Mendoza brothers, who I fondly call the Mendoza Trio, were three unlikely brothers who switched their allegiances from their evil Cousin Mendoza to me, when they discovered he wasn't such a nice guy after all. They had been quite instrumental during the time we rescued my Marinita from the clutches of the evil Ikawiri shaman, Alash-azam.
I was lost in thought, nearly ignoring Dimbo's antics on the big plasma screen that graced our living room, when the sudden sound of the doorbell brought me out from my brief reverie.
"Eduardo... would you mind seeing who is at the door?" I heard Marina say from the kitchen. "I'm in the middle of something with the octopi and I really can't drop what I'm doing."
Octopi? I didn't like the sound of it. Ah, well. Cést la vie. Reluctantly, I stood up and headed toward the door. I took a careful look out there by means of the small lens inset in the door's peephole. While living in Caracas, Venezuela, you can never be too careful.
Eight burly men, looking quite menacing stood in the hallway. Nearly all of them surpassed the six foot five mark, were quite dark skinned and had tribal tattoos etched all over their features. All of them were built like Dallas Cowboys Linebackers. A few of the men were dressed like mean bikers and wore chains. I didn't really dig the looks of the one who had a human bone inserted through his nostrils. Not one bit, I tell you. But when I saw he had a rabies tag in his spiked collar I realized who they were.
Messenger boys. Why the he11 were messenger boys knocking at my door on a Sunday morning? I opened the door to find out.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 9, 2012 12:48:12 PM PDT
?wazithinkin says:
(((clap))) (((clap))) (((clap))) (((clap))) (((clap))) (((clap)))

I love it, Edwin! I am glad to see you writing again! Keep going, I can hardly wait.

There are a couple of word edits, Noah would be more help with comma's and stuff.
-that's it (I would make it `that is' and drop the `it'), of course, when she's not busy teaching her grandmother how to blow bridges.
- And lets (let's) not forget our baby boy
- If you knew Dimbo as wall (well) as I do,
- who switched their allegiances to (should this be from?) their evil Cousin Mendoza
- All of them were build (built) like Dallas Cowboys Linebackers.
- But when I saw he had (I would add the word `a' before rabies tag) rabies tag in his spiked collar

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 9, 2012 2:41:28 PM PDT
Edwin Stark says:
Thanks, wazit!

You must realize that this is simply RAW, 1st-draft stuff; it still has to be proofreaded a couple dozen times, and read in three or four different formats to catch most of the flaws.

It was hard for me to write this, due to the emotional background behind the Marina character, but I seem to have gotten over it and I'm back at work, though my currently writing speed leaves a lot to be desired these days.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 9, 2012 8:01:18 PM PDT
?wazithinkin says:
I know, I just can't help myself sometimes. I really enjoyed reading it. Keep up the good work! Write as much as you can, don't force it. You are doing great. Thank you for sharing!

:)

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 9, 2012 11:45:55 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 9, 2012 11:53:57 PM PDT
Edwin Stark says:
I will, wazit... I believe I'll take it easy and take a couple of years to finish this project...
I'm in no hurry... not anymore...

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 10, 2012 9:50:22 PM PDT
judester says:
You mean it's been a year since you published the last two books, if I'm not mistaken. I hadn't noticed any of the independent authors getting them out there any faster than you're doing.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 10, 2012 9:51:56 PM PDT
judester says:
LOL *wack up-side the head*

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 10, 2012 9:52:08 PM PDT
judester says:
Ya!

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 10, 2012 9:52:59 PM PDT
judester says:
YEAH!!!

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 10, 2012 9:53:18 PM PDT
judester says:
LOL

Posted on Jun 14, 2012 12:44:45 PM PDT
?wazithinkin says:
Have you all seen this web site? It seems to have a lot of useful information on it.

http://www.indiesunlimited.com/

Here is the article that really got my attention and the reason I thought I would post it here for you authors.

http://www.indiesunlimited.com/2012/06/11/to-pay-or-not-to-pay-that-is-the-question/
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  63
Total posts:  8792
Initial post:  Mar 25, 2011
Latest post:  17 days ago

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 8 customers

Search Customer Discussions