Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

Australian kindle users thread

This discussion has reached the maximum length permitted, and cannot accept new replies. Start a new discussion

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 8126-8150 of 10000 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Apr 25, 2012 2:53:39 AM PDT
If he had been on a skateboard he'd have wiped out all the units ahead of us down George St! And I've now realised why my shoulders are so sore - I carried it up Castlereagh St to the muster point.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 25, 2012 4:07:33 AM PDT
JJulieJ says:
Just as well he didn't have a skateboard then ;-).

Sounds like you need to soak your shoulders in a nice hot bath.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 25, 2012 4:23:02 AM PDT
I don't think it's necessarily saying that war is glorious. I think it's saying that death as a sacrifice in the name of freedom has an element of glory to it. There's glory in their courage, their staunchness and their eternal youth...and the glory of heaven (the "immortal spheres" where they now are) shines on our grief and lightens it a little.

I like to read it that way, anyway, since I agree that war itself is anything but glorious.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 25, 2012 5:07:52 AM PDT
Ellem says:
lol - that is just too funny Suncoast. I may start calling you Sunshine again - you make me laugh and get all warm and fuzzy.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 25, 2012 5:30:37 AM PDT
Suncoast says:
JJulie - I support all that Tui said about war. If there ever was a God that looked down on me it was the one who let me born too young for WWII and Korea, just miss the UK mandatory 2 year National Service and be too old for Vietnam and beyond.

My thoughts on this day are especially for those currently sent to deal with unseen enemies using roadside bombs and suicide bombers whose beliefs give them no respect for lives of others. I worry about the post traumatic stress disorders that will remain forever to haunt some of our people sent to "battle" in that environment.

We used to talk about the "war to end all wars" but unfortunately that seems to have been a pipe dream.

Posted on Apr 25, 2012 5:53:39 AM PDT
Donna S says:
If anyone else's children are John Flanagan fans (The Ruins of Gorlan: Book One (Ranger's Apprentice) up to The Ranger's Apprentice, Book 10: The Emperor of Nihon-Ja: Book Ten and including Ranger's Apprentice 11: The Lost Stories and his new series The Outcasts: Brotherband Chronicles, Book 1 then you'll be pleased (as I was) that Brotherband 2: The Invadersis now out and available on Kindle.

If I haven't inserted the exact product links for the Kindle versions, they're easy enough to find on the webpage with the DTBs. My son didn't have to ask too hard for me to agree... I'll probably read it before work tomorrow! Love them.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 25, 2012 2:01:59 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 25, 2012 2:02:51 PM PDT
Tui Allen says:
Suncoast, now that ANZAC day is over, I can say that's why I've always been a little uneasy about the whole ANZAC day thing. I came of age through the time of youth revolutions for peace and my contemporaries shunned Anzac day because they saw it as a celebration of war. The young people of today seem fascinated by it. I hope that's only because of the way it is pushed by the media every year, and because they wish to honour the sacrifice of the fallen, and not because they are slowly becoming fascinated by a false idea of the glory of war.
My father died when I was six, at the age of 37,and his death by heart attack was related to his war experiences. I clearly remember seeing shrapnel he had in his body - it made blue/black scars that showed through his skin. My mother, who was pregnant with her fourth child at the time of his death, remarried a year later, mainly to find security for her children.

My stepfather had gone to war also. He was a naval navigation officer but had enlisted at a more emotionally stable age and coped with it a little better. He was quite a war hero in his way, having done well at his task of hunting down German ships. In the end, the Germans got their own back on him by sinking his ship (HMS Limbourne) in the English channel. There was much loss of life. He found himself trying to navigate a ship that had its bows blown off by a German torpedo.
He rarely spoke of his war experiences but I did learn a lot from him in many ways. He taught me the names of the stars for example. We were so lucky to have such a stepfather. It was quite a case of falling on our feet. But I loved my real dad and never truly recovered from my 6yr old traumas, until about three years ago, when I finally had treatment for long-buried childhood griefs and began to live as I always ought to have lived. So there I was, well into a new millenium, and still feeling the negative impact of a 60 yrs gone war.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 25, 2012 2:16:00 PM PDT
Suncoast says:
Austin - you can call me Sunshine when you have created a meaningful sentence out of the Kerry Greenwood unusual words I posted a while ago - necrophilia, odalisque and votaries.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 25, 2012 2:33:04 PM PDT
Suncoast says:
Tui - I understand your feelings about the effects of war on others. I was lucky to have a stable upbringing because my father was not allowed to go to the front in WWII because the army found him much more valuable in the Pay Office because he was so good as a bookkeeper. He wanted to go off with his mates from basic training - their troopship was sunk so I was lucky that my father was not with them. He did have war traumas as during the Blitz he was with the Home Guard near London, posted on duty on top of a gas holder (a most explosive target) and cleared incendiary bombs that fell onto the gas holder. Because of that experience he would never watch Dad's Army because it made fun of the Home Guard.

You were lucky to have a good stepfather. This is not war related - my wife's mother died from cancer when she was only 7 and her father re-married within a year to a woman whose character would make the Ugly Sisters look tame. At a time when she needed a stable loving home life, they sent her off to a Catholic boarding school at 7 at a time when teaching Nuns were mostly pretty frightening people (and she was Anglican). In her 70's she is still receiving therapy for panic attacks.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 25, 2012 4:12:17 PM PDT
JJulieJ says:
My comments weren't directed to that poem in particular, CBP, they were just general comments about the glorification of war, which sadly seems to be promoted in our current lives - war games, war toys, etc.

The poem is beautiful and poignant, and a fitting remembrance to those who lost their lives.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 25, 2012 4:16:19 PM PDT
JJulieJ says:
I'm glad to hear you have managed to finally overcome your childhood griefs, Tui, and are now able to move forward in life unencumbered by sadness.

Your stepfather sounds like he was a remarkable man and I'm sure his presence in your life helped soothe some of the trauma of losing your own father.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 25, 2012 4:19:28 PM PDT
JJulieJ says:
Oh, Suncoast, your poor wife. What a horrible thing to happen to a seven year old.

But I'm sure that she has had many years of happiness with you and, despite those residual panic attacks, she has been able to move forward in life and get much pleasure from it over the years.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 25, 2012 4:23:40 PM PDT
Ellem says:
Okay Sunshine - oops - getting ahead of myself. Challenge accepted!

But just remember - it was your idea. I suggest everyone else just turn their heads a minute. This could get messy.

She had been one of his most devoted votaries before he chose her and made her his odalisque, and for a while her struggles sated his morbid urges, but there was only one thing that could truly his satisfy his fascination with necrophilia, and before long he started to wonder if she would be as beautiful in death as she was in life. He fought it for as long as he could ....

Or maybe this one... considering the current teen obsession

The most devoted female votaries of the vampire king begged him to turn them, but he had no love for the flesh of the dead, necrophilia was not his thing, he preferred them with beating hearts, their flesh warm and soft and pliable - what he needed was another odalisque, his current one now lay on the floor, cold and lifeless and of no further use to him.

So did I pass? lol.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 25, 2012 4:28:19 PM PDT
Ellem says:
Ohh, that's really sad - she is lucky to have a husband as understanding as you Suncoast, I bet you are her little ray of sunshine....

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 25, 2012 4:29:10 PM PDT
Ellem says:
I would have clicked like if it was an option. Funny how FB gets into you head that way.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 25, 2012 4:42:35 PM PDT
That would have been good ... unfortunately I was too tired. took an aspirin for the aches instead.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 25, 2012 4:52:50 PM PDT
Suncoast says:
Austin - You pass with flying colours. I much preferred the latter one as it was so much more dramatic.

I am about to start the final Phryne Fisher story in the TV series so will see if there are any other unusual words to challenge you. I have been reading a couple of Jeffrey Archer novels recently. Great stories but his vocabulary is very straightforward.

Regards, Sunshine.

CBP - I'm sure you didn't envisage these kind of posts when you set up the forum!!

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 25, 2012 4:54:20 PM PDT
Suncoast says:
Austin - after over 50 years the sunshine can sometimes wear a little thin, but it is always there in the background.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 25, 2012 4:57:18 PM PDT
Suncoast says:
JJulieJ - yes we have had a lot of good times together, especially travelling the world and seeing interesting places but realising that where we live is so much better than most other places on earth.

Posted on Apr 25, 2012 5:10:32 PM PDT
Suncoast says:
Price drops by Australian Publishers:

The Litigators by John Grisham - down to $12.70 from $24.20! Hatchette

African Dawn by one of my favourite Australian authors Tony Park - down to $10.58 from a top of $18.73 - Macmillan. I got this at $9.99 on release and you will see my positive comment and price observation (second down, all helpful votes gratefully accepted).

Are these a sign that more prices will be moving down? I am not optimistic.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 25, 2012 5:14:39 PM PDT
JJulieJ says:
Well done, Austin. Delightful!

And I hope this sample of your imagination and writing tempt our thread friends into reading your equally delightful book Sanctuary (Millennium's Children - BB Kids Books for young teens: Paranormal Science Fiction). It's OK, folks, its not gruesome.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 25, 2012 5:30:52 PM PDT
JJulieJ says:
It's not that the sunshine wears thin, Suncoast. It just gets obscured by clouds occasionally. Behind the clouds the sun is shining as brightly as ever, and clouds soon blow away ;-)

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 25, 2012 5:40:24 PM PDT
JJulieJ says:
Hmmm, $12.70 sounds a bit low for a Hachette price on a book that has been released six months. Others that I'm tracking seem to be $14 or so. But the Grisham is published by Hachette Book Group, not Hachette Digital or Hachette Australia so that may make a difference.]

I notice the Tony Park book is still "price set by publisher" which is why it isn't $9.99. I suspect it's been set at $10 and is suffering from exchange rate bloat.

I haven't seen any real indications of the prices dropping, just typical reductions once a book has been in the market for 6-12 months, and the odd specials.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 25, 2012 6:24:08 PM PDT
I'm not sure that there's actually more glorification of war these days, Julie. I suspect it just seems like it because play and toys are less about children's imagination and more about spoonfeeding by offering replicas of real-life things (toasters, coffee-machines and cubbyhouses as much as guns).

Yes, there are more war games and toys, but there are more tangible versions of ALL the toys that we made up/invented when we were children. In my childhood, we found a straight stick (or one neatly bent at the same angle as a pistol) and pointed it at a friend and said "bang, bang - you're dead". These days, buying a thing that looks and sounds a bit like a machine gun is more likely, but IMO no more war-minded.

We had capguns, catapults, pistols that shot water/potato pellets/rubber pellets, swords and shields, bows and arrows, and rubber band guns that made a noise like an automatic weapon. All war-based toys.

Much childhood play is about rationalising what they see of the adult world by acting it out - it's normal that there'd be more of that going on when we're actually at war than when we aren't. (Think of how popular toy soldiers were in the period around and between the two world wars, but how rare they became later.) Likewise I remember as an 8yo playing with a group of friends at school, using our sports tunic belts as whips and chains for a convict chain-gang (sado-masochists in training LOL).

All that said, I *did* notice that in the lead-up to the invasion of Iraq there were suddenly a lot more ads on TV suggesting that people should join the Army because it was such a rewarding career. I believe the govt knew they'd need the increase in incoming troops.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 25, 2012 6:26:44 PM PDT
No, you're right, Suncoast, I didn't. Though I wasn't at all surprised, given that my initial thing was "we're just yarning round the barbie, come and join us".

I think we have a really well-working thread here; we all know our main theme is kindle books, and we do keep reverting to it, but we happily divert into other topics as the conversation ebbs and flows.
Discussion locked

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  273
Total posts:  10000
Initial post:  Dec 15, 2011
Latest post:  Jun 7, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 25 customers

Search Customer Discussions