Back to Business Best Books of the Month Valentine's Day Shop Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Chi-Raq Bose SoundTouch 130 Amazon Fire TV Stick Luxury Beauty Valentine's Day Cards Create an Amazon Wedding Registry Amazon Gift Card Offer chiraq chiraq chiraq  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 Kindle Voyage Prime Exclusive Savings in Video Games Shop Now SnS
Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

Kindle Touch 3G - no more web browsing via 3G?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 851-875 of 883 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on May 7, 2012 11:18:27 AM PDT
Andy Buchan says:
I used Apple as an example to show how a successful company handles its business rather than as a direct cost comparison of iPad and Kindle. I have a Kindle and iPad so am able to talk with a little knowledge regarding both products. I find the iPad much more of a pleasant experience when reading other than when in sunlight and then the Kindle wins hands down, as it does on the weight front. The point I was trying to make was that the Kindle had this small advantage of free 3G browsing which allowed us to download email, browse etc. whilst on holiday or travelling. Amazon makes very little money on the Kindle hardware whilst Apple makes billions. To me it just seemed a very clumsy and short sighted mistake to make. As mentioned I've cancelled my order and I know many others have done the same since the news came out. Don't get me wrong I think the Touch is a fantastic item, but it just seems a little daft that anyone would bother paying almost a $100 dollars extra(£60 ish) for the 3G model. Please Amazon, you are one of the best companies around, don't throw away this 'businessman/traveller market share'..... we love the 3G facility and with it we can leave our laptops at home whilst on holiday!!!! Thank you.

In reply to an earlier post on May 7, 2012 11:29:59 AM PDT
I doubt if very many business travellers are leaving their laptops at home and doing their Internet work on their Kindle! On an iPad, maybe, but Kindle? In fact, your earlier statement that "tens of thousands" are regularly using kindles for web browsing doesn't hold up well either--certainly not in line with most of the comments on this forum.

In reply to an earlier post on May 7, 2012 11:46:35 AM PDT
Andy Buchan says:
Maybe you are right. I can just talk for myself, having done a few dozen deals whilst on holiday involving very large sums. I have read on various boards that many people are cancelling for the same reason. Again I can only go on my own experience and what I've read of others. At the end of the day I will say again that the Touch is a fantastic product. However, in my humble opinion, you would have to be pretty daft to spend the equivalent of $100 in UK to get the 3G facility when you can download your holiday books for nothing over your home wifi. I'm afraid no one is going to change my mind about that basic fact. Now if you don't have a wifi facility and can't download books any other way then maybe this model is for you! Anyway, I've still got my Kindle Keyboard 3G so will continue to use that as it still has the 3G browsing facility.

In reply to an earlier post on May 7, 2012 11:56:56 AM PDT
Andy,
"Amazon makes very little money on the Kindle hardware" ... and then you want them to take a hit on free 3G web browsing besides when it will be far more used with direct hyperlink access and a faster processor? That makes no sense, and I say that as an avid K3 web look-up user (but there are few of us, actually).
I could not call it web-'browsing' and have called it web-crawling.

The $50 add'l is NOTHING like the $130 it costs on the iPad to get, not to mention the iPad cost of *using* the 3G after that --monthly, add'l.

Apple makes money because it likes good margins. It would never consider such a thing as you propose. You're wanting Amazon to have even lower margins if they give away web browsing 3G on a faster, more link-direct model. Makes no sense. And I think you'll see that.

Why not just get a(nother) Kindle Keyboard. It still does the free 3G web browsing, but of course it'll be SLOW but that's why it's free! They haven't taken it away.

- Andrys

In reply to an earlier post on May 7, 2012 12:14:05 PM PDT
Andy Buchan says:
No not at all. I want Amazon to do better than they have been. Both the Kindle and to a lesser extent, the Fire have been good products. My point is this. In UK we are being charged around a $100 for the 3G facility. For $100 extra I want something worth having. For me it was the facility to browse, email etc. Now if we can't have that then I see little point in anyone in UK paying the extra $100 or so. If someone can say to me I'm wrong and the 3G is worth $100 extra in UK then I will accept gracefully. As yet no one has given me a single reason to pay that much money when the wifi version can do all the basic stuff outside of the email/browsing requirement. Again, I re-iterate, the Touch is a fantastic product, but in the UK the 3G version seems a bit of a pointless rip-off.

In reply to an earlier post on May 7, 2012 12:28:50 PM PDT
Andy,
From your perspective, in the UK, I can see why you feel the way you do -- though I still do not see that Amazon should provide free 3G for the Touch for the reasons I gave. I wouldn't, if it were my company and money subsidizing everyone's use via more pleasant, faster web browser like the Touch's, so that they'd be on it much more.

$100 equivalent is a LOT. But if you have 3G for your iPad -- in the U.S. you'd pay $130 for just the capability. Then comes the $ for actually using it. So, we're talking realities for the vendor here.

The faster the user can go when web browsing, the more it'll cost whoever is paying for it.

We pay only $50 more for 3G capability in the U.S. and I agree (!) that I would probably not pay $100 add'l for the 3G although I can't be sure because I have never been able to make myself go for WiFi only if 3G is available, since being able to use it anywhere is important and I happen to be one who uses Wikipedia quite a bit. Having that available at all times can be useful for those who are info-driven (students, the ever-too-curious etc). But, $100? I agree that it's a very questionable amount for just that type of access. Our only disagreement is that, in my view, after having a Touch and knowing how much faster it is to web-browse, it would not be a good business decision for Amazon to pay for it on the Touch.

I've read rumors (can't know if they're based on anything solid) that the K3/KK may not be forever manufactured/newly-produced, so maybe it's good for some in Europe to get a backup if they use it a lot.

- Andrys

In reply to an earlier post on May 7, 2012 12:39:34 PM PDT
Denis Powell says:
Andy, if the Touch 3G had been only £30 ($50) more than the wifi version I might have bought it but for me double that amount isn't worth it as I already have a 3G MiFi for my Tablet. Having said that, I don't consider the price a rip-off. It costs what it costs and I didn't have to buy it as there's a wifi version as well. The cost of everything has increased since the KK3G was released so I'd expect any new 3G facility to cost more.

The Kindle is primarily a device for reading books, and any other "extra" features are very nice. Business travellers who only want one for internet and email purposes can buy a small tablet for a similar price which will be far more versatile, but 3G usage won't be free.

In reply to an earlier post on May 7, 2012 12:46:23 PM PDT
Andy Buchan says:
Yes it is difficult as the old 3G version was an attractive facility. However, I would still strongly recommend the wifi touch version as I think that is a great product and good value as well. Previous post suggesting stocking up with the old Kindle 3G keyboard may be the way to go (as long as they don't stop the 'experimental facility)!!!!

Posted on May 7, 2012 1:14:26 PM PDT
hi, I was bummed when I first found out that the KTouch 3G was limited.
It stressed me out a lot, trying to decide between KT wi-fi only, KT 3g, or KKeyboard.
Finally I went ahead and ordered the KTouch 3G.
After using it however, I'm happy. I can go all over the Amazon site: read the forums, read
the blogs, read book reviews, download free samples, in addition to buying a book. and
wikipedia too. Although I really would have liked to check email, I think having this
access to Amazon via 3G is worth the extra cost. it is forever, not just for a year.

Posted on May 7, 2012 2:04:25 PM PDT
Wendy,
Whaaat? My favorite thing to do with the K3 web lookups was to be at stores and able to check out reviews of the stuff on sale. Amazon was the best for quick looks at reviews and it's not bad at all on the K3.

But I didn't know you could get to any of the forums with the Touch 3G. Forums? Really?

How do you do it? Theyre not available via the Kindle's Book Store. How do you get to the forums?
or blogs ???

Eagerly awaiting your guidance here :-)

- Andrys
http://kindleworld.blogspot.com

Posted on May 25, 2012 6:32:10 PM PDT
Vicki Martz says:
I am in the US, thinking of buying a Kindle to take to Europe with me this summer to keep in touch with family back in the US and with my son, who will also be traveling other places in Europe. I want something to help search the internet to go from hostel to hostel. Can someone PLEASE tell me if a Kindle is what I need and will it be easy to find wi-fi if I do buy it?

In reply to an earlier post on May 26, 2012 6:33:14 AM PDT
I only know that a Kindle Touch will not be what you want. Look at a Kindle Fire. Sorry I can't help more...

Posted on May 26, 2012 2:43:41 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 26, 2012 2:46:39 PM PDT
M. Broderick says:
Kindle Keyboard 3G, Free 3G + Wi-Fi, 6" E Ink Display - includes Special Offers & Sponsored Screensavers

The above Kindle has 3G (in other words over the air coverage like a cell phone) Internet browsing in much of Europe. Here is Amazon's coverage map.

http://client0.cellmaps.com/tabs.html#cellmaps_intl_tab

Here's a link to an article discussing it

http://kindleworld.blogspot.com/p/countries-with-free-kindle-3g-access.html

Be warned that this is slow and clunky, but it would probably do to check email. I personally have used this in the US, but never actually did it overseas.

If you want to use wifi, rather than cell coverage, my advice would be to get an iPod Touch or iPad. Your browsing experience will be much better.

Posted on May 30, 2012 4:47:00 PM PDT
I have a kendle fire now but have a problem getting any time since my children are always playing game. Does the kindle touch play game the same as the fire?

In reply to an earlier post on May 30, 2012 4:47:50 PM PDT
No. The Touch is an entirely different type of device.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 8, 2012 6:30:31 AM PDT
This is unacceptable - the "confusion" (as you put it) costs another £60 in the UK. How do I go about exchanging for a 'Touch' Kindle just with Wi-Fi and getting the refund of £60?

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 8, 2012 6:41:32 AM PDT
King Al says:
Amazon cleared up this issue long time ago, so if you're still confused, you didn't read the description. If you're within the 30 day period, you can return it.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 10, 2012 6:30:44 PM PDT
lhrascal says:
Can you tell us why it is that you allow experimental web browsing over 3Gon the Kindle Keyboard 3G, but have disabled it for the Kindle Touch 3G? I feel as if I've been taken for a sucker by buying the Touch (the only 3G option available at Best Buy) for $50 more than the Kindle Wi-Fi only.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 10, 2012 6:32:20 PM PDT
One, we didn't do anything. We're customers here, not Amazon.
Two, you were not taken for a sucker. Amazon clearly stated on the product page the limits of the 3G service. You just didn't read it.
Three, 3G is not free. With the popularity of the Kindles expanding, Amazon can no longer afford to subsidize everyone's 3G access.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 10, 2012 7:22:07 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 10, 2012 7:23:14 PM PDT
lhrascal says:
Wow, fairytale, I certainly didn't mean to offend you. I THOUGHT I was replying to the Amazon Representative's post. However, that being said, I would like to address your reply.

One, I DID read about my Kindle before I bought it and the only reference I found was that with 3G I could download books anywhere. Nowhere did I read that I would not be able to access the web browser through the 3g.

Two, I still question why web browsing on 3G is available on the keyboard, but has been disabled on the Touch.

Three, I'm sorry for whatever happen in your life today to make you so eager to jump on someone asking a question not directed to you. Thank you for your comments. I do not believe I will be visiting this forum again.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 10, 2012 7:25:00 PM PDT
From the product page:
"Kindle Touch 3G's experimental web browser is based on WebKit. It's easy to find the information you're looking for right from your Kindle Touch 3G. Kindle Touch 3G enables you to connect to the Kindle Store and access Wikipedia - all over 3G or Wi-Fi. Experimental web browsing on other websites is only available over Wi-Fi."

It's available on the Keyboard because the Keyboard is an older model. Amazon isn't going to take away something that it gave when the model was introduced. They didn't disable it on the touch - they never had it on the touch. That's two different things.

I wasn't jumping on you. I was providing you with information. If you seriously thought I was that rude, maybe discussion forums aren't for you. My post was incredibly tame.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 10, 2012 7:32:41 PM PDT
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

Posted on Jun 10, 2012 7:36:46 PM PDT
I have the K3g touch. I tried browsing at my Mom's today with the 3g as she is in the country with no wifi....it will not browse using the 3g...have to use wireless. Which sucks..one of the reasons I went with the 3g. Still in my 30day period so will probably return for the wifi only.

Posted on Jun 10, 2012 7:37:18 PM PDT
I have the K3g touch. I tried browsing at my Mom's today with the 3g as she is in the country with no wifi....it will not browse using the 3g...have to use wireless. Which sucks..one of the reasons I went with the 3g. Still in my 30day period so will probably return for the wifi only.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 10, 2012 9:07:02 PM PDT
King Al says:
As asortoffairytale pointed out, the product page clearly states that web browsing is only available via wi-fi.
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Kindle forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Announcement
Welcome to the Kindle Discussion Forum - A Congregation of Kindle Enthusiasts
0 Mar 20, 2015
My Kindle app disappears when I turn off my Lenovo Android tablet 13 2 minutes ago
Kindle Paperwhite (7th Generation) Software Updates 8 20 minutes ago
Australian/Kiwi kindle users thread #4 - "the BBQ" 6341 25 minutes ago
repair needed appears on kindle screen 34 27 minutes ago
Hear Ye! Hear Ye! We're Quirky And We're Not Going To Take It Anymore! 2016, You've Been Warned! So Geese And Tally Ho! 972 29 minutes ago
FREE Books & Chat - February 2016 182 36 minutes ago
Discounted / Price Dropped Kindle eBooks III 8501 48 minutes ago
RAOK, welcome to the wonderful world of RAOK 6489 1 hour ago
Kindle app for Android - invalid item problem 343 1 hour ago
February 2016, Informal Poll, what are you reading 51 2 hours ago
Unable to find discussions tab when I'm on the Amazon site with my IPAD 0 2 hours ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  257
Total posts:  883
Initial post:  Sep 28, 2011
Latest post:  Dec 15, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 47 customers

Search Customer Discussions