Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 76-100 of 310 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Feb 20, 2012 6:00:54 PM PST
Grandma says:
I did not have that problem Sheila .

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 20, 2012 5:59:58 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 20, 2012 6:03:47 PM PST
Grandma says:
Personally, I don't care too terribly much about how things look. My standard outdoor decorations these days are huge pots of herbs, hanging baskets of cherry and grape tomatoes in various colors and most recently, big pots of cilantro, lettuce/mesclun and ginger. Those last are interesting, kind of pretty and very nice to have on hand. For the cilanro/mesclun I just got some pretty big bright yellow pots for about $2 each at Walmart, filled them with potting soil,then sprinkled seed over the top - 1 pack per pot, a bit thinner on the lettuce because there is more seed. Cover with a little bit of dirt - 1/4 inch maybe - and wait for them to sprout. When your mesclun is about 2 inches high you can cut the top 1.5 inches off or you can thin it out to allow the stuff you leave behind to grow a bit bigger. Or both. Start using your cilantro when it gets to be about 6 inches high.

Ginger seems to be a member of the lily or iris family - grows from a tuber, which is what those ginger roots really are. You can plant segments about an inch deep and it will grow you new ginger. If you're lucky it will even flower. I didn't get flowers - we have too short a growing season here - but I did get a small harvest of excellent baby ginger from the odds and ends of ginger starting to dry up or sprout I had around.

I don't think chix will eat the leaves of your rhubarb. Those are poisonous if consumed and animals tend to be aware of that sort of thing naturally.

Posted on Feb 20, 2012 5:58:31 PM PST
Josie says:
When I am looking for books, I like when the genre of the book is given. The descriptions are all right, but since I can just click on the book and read them myself, if the person posting the books doesn't want to do that, I am fine with that. I do like it when titles are repeated; like others have noted, I might be more apt to look at a book if I see it listed many times.

I am usually just a lurker here, getting my fill of free books; I really appreciate the work so many of you do to make these lists available to me! Thank you all!

In regard to rhubarb, which I love, my aunt has had a patch from which we have gotten rhubarb each spring for 50 years, so I guess something is working for her, even though she doesn't do anything to it!

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 20, 2012 5:58:14 PM PST
@Cinder
Cookbook thread?! Do tell :) I am definitely missing out.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 20, 2012 5:49:36 PM PST
Sheila (NJ) says:
I do have a couple on file, I was just afraid to continue because the free books don't usually require me to enter my password. I was afraid that if I ordered it, it would charge me for it when it delivers it in June - I don't want to pay $25 for an e-book KWIM? Thanks for letting me know you didn't get charged.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 20, 2012 5:46:51 PM PST
~nospin says:
Do you have a credit card on file, Sheila?
They use credit cards to determine where you live and such but do not charge it.
My pre-order went through with a zero charge.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 20, 2012 5:46:18 PM PST
tweet says:
Grandma, I think you may be right. LOL, I wonder how a patch of Rhubarb would look in the front of the house instead of the back? At least then it would get morning sun instead of the afternoon sun, which can be brutal in the summer. Hummm, or maybe down by the barn....but then I'd worry about the chickens eating the leaves.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 20, 2012 5:42:35 PM PST
Sheila (NJ) says:
Is any one else having an issue with ordering The 500: A Novel? It is asking me for my password when I try to order it, it usually only does that when they are charging me for the book, the free books never require me to enter a password.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 20, 2012 5:40:30 PM PST
Grandma says:
D. Thomson, if you are going to try to grow rhubarb in North Carolina, then you need to hunt around and find a spot that will be in mostly full sun early in the spring but as hotter weather approaches is perhaps shaded by trees that have leafed out.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 20, 2012 5:39:29 PM PST
Stillwood says:
RD Johnson - I agree that I like the repetitive postings. Multiple picks do indicate something. That is how I decided to try the Bo Bradely book by Abigal Padgett a day or so ago - it kept cropping up. I got it, read it, and am now buying the later books by Padgett (just like this system is supposed to work - get us interested and we will spend). So please don't anyone think theie posting is wasted!.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 20, 2012 5:39:29 PM PST
Wishes says:
thanks Grandma, will do that.

Posted on Feb 20, 2012 5:37:46 PM PST
Cinder says:
I am quite certain they are watching this too. Doesn't change the facts though.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 20, 2012 5:34:22 PM PST
~nospin says:
In veiled terms of course since they track it.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 20, 2012 5:27:12 PM PST
Cinder says:
It would seem to be, part of the authors that 'exchange reviews group'. I suppose we should talk about that, on the cookbook thread, sometime.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 20, 2012 5:23:13 PM PST
~nospin says:
And I am sure you noticed how many of the suspect books Marg Ruttan reviewed.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 20, 2012 5:18:29 PM PST
tweet says:
dharts, my poor little rhubs never made it to winter :(
Purchased the babies in April, and they were really growing well until late June, July....they just kinda got crispy, no matter what I did.

I may try again, different location. I do raised beds, filled with compost. Everything else grows like they're on sterioids (my tomato plants get well over 7 ft tall, and supply the whole neighborhood). I wonder if the soil was too rich?

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 20, 2012 5:14:03 PM PST
Jolly Jess ... Thank you for stopping by and I have missed you, too. I've just been very busy with work etc., and I did take a few days vacation and had the most beautiful time I've ever had.

I haven't forgot about you, and I promise to stop by the other thread one of these days and say hi.

((HUGS)) ... Joyce

Posted on Feb 20, 2012 5:13:12 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 20, 2012 5:17:24 PM PST
~nospin says:
New offering at 5:07PST Pre-order
The 500: A Novel Hachette Book Group Publishing

Mike Ford is a former con artist who's been plucked from his Harvard Law School classroom to be an associate at The Davies Group, Washington's most high-powered and well-respected strategic consulting firm. Their specialty: pulling strings and peddling influence for the five hundred most powerful people inside the Beltway, the men and women who really run Washington -- and by extension the country, and the world.

The namesake of the firm, Henry Davies, knows everyone who matters; more importantly, he knows their secrets. Davies' experience goes back 40 years -- he worked for Lyndon Johnson, jumped shipped to Nixon, then put out his own shingle as the Hill's most cut-throat and expensive fixer. Now he's looking for a protégé to tackle his most high-stakes deal yet, and Mike fits the bill.

Quickly pulled into a seductive, dangerous web of power and corruption, Mike struggles to find his way out. But how do you save your soul when you've made a deal with the devil?

Posted on Feb 20, 2012 5:09:26 PM PST
Cinder says:
Mini rant? Initially, I think I am a bit disappointed in the 30 Delicious Icebox Cookie Recipes. This is another 'collection' of recipes, with a page long disclaimer for the (basically.... unnamed in the book?) Editor. (Book is listed correctly, as editor, on the webpage). Why is it so difficult, for someone to write out their own tested recipes, in their own hand, and say so? Why did this get SO many 5 star reviews? sigh.

btw- the Italian Cuisine for American Cooks, that I posted earlier, really looks well done! Ok, back to more books. :)

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 20, 2012 5:09:11 PM PST
Joyce, I have not been in here a while. Have not seen you in the thread, I know life is busy but I did want to stop in and say hi. You always seem to lift peoples spirits and I never forget that or you. Hope you had a great night and that you now have a good night. :-)

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 20, 2012 4:58:18 PM PST
dharts says:
It gets that hot here every summer, although we I'm sure get colder than you in winter.

I think what can sometimes be more important is moisture, especially if a plant is marginal in your zone. Rhubarb does seem to enjoy well drained, perhaps even dry soil. If it was too wet in winter, it could be the roots rotted.

Posted on Feb 20, 2012 4:41:21 PM PST
The Girl says:
My picks for today:
The Sex Lives Of Celebrities (A Hollywood Hell Hotel Novel)
Brunching on Bialys, Blini and Blintzes: Delicious and Easy Bialys, Blini and Blintz Recipes (Easy Ethnic Dishes)
The Befuddled Writing Students' Guide to Commas (The Befuddled Students' Guides)
Institution (Third War Chronicles)
Chasing Mona Lisa
John Lennon: The Music, The Magic & The Murder

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 20, 2012 4:12:57 PM PST
Grandma says:
I think a lot of us were a bit disappointed. That one was pretty popular. I was not really happy when it kept crashing the Kindle App last night.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 20, 2012 4:12:38 PM PST
Thank you "Princess Joyce", I can't wait to try that recipe.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 20, 2012 4:04:55 PM PST
Mrs. Snoopy Landcaster ... Directions call to bake until golden brown. I usually start checking after 20 minutes and then in intervals of 5 minutes until it is golden brown.
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  83
Total posts:  310
Initial post:  Feb 20, 2012
Latest post:  Feb 21, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 11 customers

Search Customer Discussions